My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 287
Points 26,365
Darlene replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 12:25 PM

Yep, that weather front is threatening to hit us in WNY and the grandmothers are panicing agout having enough squirelled away in the event of a storm.  Spent the day with my mom yesterday to get everything in order.  Kyle is with my MIL today doing errands and making sure she is ready.  She is such a hoarder that she doesn't really need to worry but we humor her and let her think she needs to go to the store.

Linny, I went to the Crazy Crafters link you posted and checked it out.  Looks interesting but I think I will pass for now.  Not sure I am ready to publicly admit my obsession and let the world see the extent of my stash.  I know Tim would be mortified if the world saw the dungeon.  LOL.

This morning was a productive one.  I spent the morning getting some of my kitchen in order.  I have been struggling with a sense of overwhelming clutter.  I can't find anything I need when I need it.  I have been spending too much time to find papers, my sewing needs are not where I think they are when I look for them.  It leads to moments of major frustration and feelings of lacking in self worth.  I have a book called 101 Steps to Decluttering that I vowed to use as a base for working thru the mess in my life and getting things in order.  I read the book and put it down because of the overwhelming thought of where to begin.  Last night I knew that today had to be the day I started this.  So I cleaned my stove, cleaned out three cupboards and threw out the old spices.  I combined my cookie "stuff" and moved my cook books and recipes.  Based on the book, I should clean out my cookbooks and recipes because of lack of use but today was not the day to work on that.  I was not in the proper frame of mind to sort thru which books to keep and which to "chuck".  I hope to continue this process again tomorrow and work my way around the kitchen until I get to the pantry.  That will be a major project but needs to happen.

Well, I am off to the bank and then need to drop off some papers regarding the group I am treasurer for.  After that, I hope to work on my current UFO.  This one has presented challenges and I am struggling with it but I must press on.  I hope that I can get this top done before the end of the week.  I may not  get the sandwich made and finished but the top done will be a major accomplishment in my mind.

Hope that everyone is having a great Wednesday and can find some time to do something creative.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 1:40 PM

Darlene:
Not sure I am ready to publicly admit my obsession and let the world see the extent of my stash. 

LOL, Yes, Darlene, I had that thought too!  Do you think someone would get a kick out of seeing my sewing room with my bed in it and everything piled high and stuffed into every nook and crany?  And then I'd show them where I put the rest of it to make room for the bed, lol. 

I understand that overwhealming feeling of too much stuff, dear.  For me it took DD moving in and that deadline to make the first asault.  It's tougher, though, dealing with not knowing where things are.  Once you make a dent you'll be on a roll.  I just know it.  My Sister in law told me that once I did some of it I'd realize that less is more.  She was absolutely right!

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 287
Points 26,365

Linny t:
less is more

Linny, that is so true.  We have vacationed at Letchworth State Park and found that we can survive in a cabin with minimal "stuff".  The last time we were there I told Kyle that I would love to live like that all the time.  No TV, no computers, minimal cookware [just enough to cook a meal.  Made me do dishes after each meal].  I had my sewing machine and a CD player for entertainment.  Of course we didn't rough it too much.  There was electricity, a refriderator and microwave and I took my Keurig to make hot beverages.  And as I said, I took my sewing machine to keep me happy.  That was such a wonderful week, sewing all day, campfires at night, nature right outside the door.  I could live like that forever.

Well, dinner is in the oven and I have an hour to get some sewing done.  Off to the dungeon.  I got a distraction today which is winning the call away from the UFO.  I couldn't resist this wonderful bird fabric which is calling to be made into placemats.  I will post pictures when I get them done.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,813
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:07 PM

Kris:
A group of us have been working on the MQ. Check us out.

OMG. If I wasn't so busy at work right now, I'd be there too! And even still, I have those days that I just want to "sew like the wind" and may just take off and start some of those blocks. Have fun, I'm sure to pop in and check things out as time progresses.  

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,813
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:20 PM

Linny t:
The link leads to a post from a blog called Craft Gossip about someone who's doing a TV program about Crazy Crafters and looking for people to be on it.  Looks like fun, doesn't it?  Anyone else thinking of doing a submission?

Linny,

When I went there, I had to laugh. All I could picture in my head was Mark Lipinski on his "door knocks", racing in and interviewing all of us. He would zoom from room to room here seeing CQ and quilting stuff in every room, and all the while I'd be freaking out that the puppy was going to drop a load that one of us would most likely step in as we zoomed around. Oh, and can you just imagine the fun he'd have with my wall colors!!!!! LOL. Surely, he'd leave here thinking he'd just been to the circus .   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:55 PM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
The link leads to a post from a blog called Craft Gossip about someone who's doing a TV program about Crazy Crafters and looking for people to be on it.  Looks like fun, doesn't it?  Anyone else thinking of doing a submission?

Linny,

When I went there, I had to laugh. All I could picture in my head was Mark Lipinski on his "door knocks", racing in and interviewing all of us. He would zoom from room to room here seeing CQ and quilting stuff in every room, and all the while I'd be freaking out that the puppy was going to drop a load that one of us would most likely step in as we zoomed around. Oh, and can you just imagine the fun he'd have with my wall colors!!!!! LOL. Surely, he'd leave here thinking he'd just been to the circus .   

Now this just made me laugh out loud!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,813
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 7:58 PM

Darlene,

I would like to have all my stuff, but concealed to look like it was minimal.  Built in cabinets and drawers with someone that came in and  organized and labeled it all for me. Some people are really good at this. And if  I could push a button and a secret door would open to a pristine sewing space that I could say, "Work on CQ block" and my project would appear on a table as I left it . Wouldn't that be the Best?!!!!! 

There is a great frustration in not being able to find the things we need. I have disciplined myself in the last year to project boxes, and to keeping all of my sewing tools in one place and putting them away in a spot where I can find them. All of my threads are in those plastic drawers that have wheels, organized by type. Every time I purchase floss, silk ribbon, or beads, I have also gotten into the habit of buying an organizer container to house them. It's a small expense when you do one at a time.

I still have all of my cookbooks, LP's, 45's and an unbelievable amount of stuff, but that is not on my priority list.. One day Paul will be married and he already likes to cook, so a lot of useable things will be passed on, with the bookmarks for some of his favorite recipes. Before you toss, or donate, check places like Amazon, or Ebay. Some of the out of print Books for example are selling for triple prices. More money for creating your dream space. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,813
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:16 PM

My Day?

I have to say it was a great day. I have been working since last Wed.  for a customer that has called us back every year for almost 20 years. 20 Years!!!! Mike started the ball rolling, as I have been doing faux painting 15 years. I can remember the first job I had with her like it was yesterday. I was terrified! I had been practicing different painting techniques in my living room, and must have  painted and fauxed it at least 15 times to practice. Mike had set me up with an interview with her and when I went she asked to see some of my work. OMG! I had no other choice than to invite her to my "meager" house. I didn't have the nerve to even tell her it was mine, but she had to have known.  

She came with a friend, and pulled up into my little "burb" house in a new Lexus, Cadillac or something like that! It was new, shiny, and I certainly felt underdressed. I surely thought I'd drop dead as they came up the drive. Later she called me and I came to her house and picked some colors that she had in fabrics, artwork and a beautiful carpet. I made some samples and the agreement was for us to strip the existing wall paper and do the basecoat for the faux while they were still North. The sample that she liked actually started with a Mauve basecoat, and had been inlaid with blue, green and a heavy  double overglaze of white that looked like a very soft Monet style impressionist background.

Upon their return, she called and very sternly told me that her husband had told her he couldn't live in a pink room. Oh no!!!!I was naturally mortified, but assured her to look back at the sample and if she wasn't happy, we'd repaint it for free. It's only paint, right?She hesitantly agreed, and for the next few days, I weaved the blues and greens like diamond trellises through the mauve and after the two coats of white overglaze all you could see was soft peekings of all of the colors in muted tones, like a soft pastel piece of stationary. After it was finished, and all put back together, her husband returned from his business trip to give the final yes, we keep it, or no, we repaint.

The waiting was so intense....And then the call...." Hi Stephanie, I just wanted to let you know that Ed not only liked the faux, he said it's his favorite room in the house."  I think my voice must have sounded like a young boy as he is reaching puberty and it can't make up it's mind to be high or low as I said. "Really? He really said that?".

Now, here we are all these years later and sharing pic's of kids and grand kids and I feel more like a good friend than that "fraidy cat girl".

It was a leap of Faith a long, long time ago that transformed into something so much more.          

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,813
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:23 PM

Linny t:
laugh out loud!

ROFLOL,  From Quilt out Loud,  to Laugh out Loud. Bless his heart,  We may have created a new venue for him. I don't think anyone could be a more fun host for a show like that. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:46 AM

Stephanie,

your post made me laugh out loud too.

My sewing space is not ready for public viewing. I have no closets to hdd anything so it's a mismash of plastic containers, cardboard boxes and crates. Fabric is poking out from everywhere. I just move it from one place to the next depending on where I'm working. Right now there's an ironing board in front of the couch with a sewing machine on it. This is where I sew when I watch football as I can't see the TV from my sewing table. They'd just love that. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:51 AM

My Wednesday wasn't bad. My boss got fired. I worked on appliqué until it was time to come home then I made two blocks and worked on a design for the Virginia beach block exchange.

I'm trying to wind down and get some sleep.

S**w coming; about 6 - 8 inches of it followed by freezing rain/sleet. Wonderful (sarcasm). We're under winter storm warning from 5AM to 10PM!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:01 AM

I had to show you what I've been working on recently...

Is it not Glorious???

All are 4" squares - most of them I have 8 of, some more and some less.  I am torn between ideas for my bed-sized quilt... the 10 minute blocks with the white diamonds in the center, or a divided nine patch?  (I do have a few blacks but I haven't cut into those yet.)

I think when I get home I'll have to play with this pic in my Kaliedoscope Kreator.  :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 287
Points 26,365

Stephanie:
a customer that has called us back every year for almost 20 years

Stephanie, what a wonderful testimony of your talent and skill.  Great story.  Glad you have become such good friends.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:26 AM

Maybe Mark and Jodi should start a new series where they have a contest to gift someone with a new sewing room or sewing room makeover :)  You know, like they do on HGTV with people who get a remodel just because they deserve a really great break in their lives.  I'd watch that show, lol~

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:29 AM

Claudette:

I had to show you what I've been working on recently...

Is it not Glorious???

All are 4" squares - most of them I have 8 of, some more and some less.  I am torn between ideas for my bed-sized quilt... the 10 minute blocks with the white diamonds in the center, or a divided nine patch?  (I do have a few blacks but I haven't cut into those yet.)

I think when I get home I'll have to play with this pic in my Kaliedoscope Kreator.  :)

Yum, yum, yum, Claudette!  I love that fabric.

Linny T

Page 3 of 366 (5486 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use