This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:06 AM

Diane:
I pulled out Robin's block today.

As soon as I get off here I'm pulling yours out. I went through my sewing room like an OCD in overdrive yesterday. LOL. No distractions now for anything but that.

I can hardly wait to see these blocks as they are coming through. They are so much more beautiful in person.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:50 AM

Thanks, Diane.  I had fun doing it.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:02 AM

Oh, I remember you saying that about Paul cooking for the firemen, Stephanie.  I had forgotten.  That's good practice for him.  He'll get the art of it as long as he's got a reason to cook.  Now he's got 2.  His firefighting buddies and his new kitchen.  Next thing you know he'll be watching Food TV, lol.

I wish I could just stay home and clean today.  My house needs it.  Even though it's just my sister, I feel like it has to be company ready for Thanksgiving.  Although she came over yesterday after we shopped and after I made my excuses that it wasn't clean.  She said she didn't see what I was talking about.  She's such a great sister. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:06 AM

Stephanie:

Diane:
I pulled out Robin's block today.

As soon as I get off here I'm pulling yours out. I went through my sewing room like an OCD in overdrive yesterday. LOL. No distractions now for anything but that.

I can hardly wait to see these blocks as they are coming through. They are so much more beautiful in person.  

It's great that you OCD worked for you yesterday.  I've been working on your block and my area looks like it's growing colorful, curly hair with all the thread and trim hanks scattered about.  It's a pretty mess, lol.

That's so true about seeing the blocks in person.  There's some amazing talent in our little group!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:20 AM

Robin:
Linny,  I love Sweet Tomato,  a friend of mine and I ate there the last time I was in your neck of the woods.   I thought it was terrific.
 At last, a place where I can overeat and not feel guilty, lol.  I was so full I skipped the desert and had another bowl of soup instead.  I love salad bars.

Robin:
The wedding was very nice.
 I love weddings.  I always cry, though.  How sweet your girls jumped in and helped serve.  

Robin, I know what you mean about being nervous when people come into your home.  I bet your home has a lot of charm and character.  I lived in a 100 year old farm house with my girls.  It had such potential, but there was a lot that needed to be done, too.  I would have it as good as I could get it and still when company came over I'd be nervous about it because there were some things that weren't perfect by a long shot.  Particularly the kitchen and bathroom.  I never lived in another place that I felt so "at home", though.  Probably because I raised my daughters there.  That house liked me.  Weird to say, I know, but I always felt that way.  I moved out when my brother passed and left me this house.  My house now is almost as old as I am.  It was built in 1956.  It's more like a bungalow than a house, really.  It has terrazzo floors, so no more worries in walking in stocking feet.  Old wood floors sometimes have rough spots.  I miss the tall ceilings and architectural details.  

I hope your tummy feels better today.  Maybe test nerves?  Or did you eat too much rich food at the wedding? 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 11:48 AM

Linny---it's so wonderful that you have that relationship with your sister.  My sister was a lot like my daughter.  When she was dying from breast cancer she contacted me via email and we had letters back and forth.  I was so happy.  Then she told me that she never did want to be my friend and stopped writing and then died a month later.  I remember when we were kids at the dinner table my father saying to her often  "Be nice".  I always wanted a sisterly relationship with her but it never happened.  When she died I told her husband that Danielle reminded me of Lynne and he understood.  I have one crazy family.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 12:35 PM

Diane:

Linny---it's so wonderful that you have that relationship with your sister.  My sister was a lot like my daughter.  When she was dying from breast cancer she contacted me via email and we had letters back and forth.  I was so happy.  Then she told me that she never did want to be my friend and stopped writing and then died a month later.  I remember when we were kids at the dinner table my father saying to her often  "Be nice".  I always wanted a sisterly relationship with her but it never happened.  When she died I told her husband that Danielle reminded me of Lynne and he understood.  I have one crazy family.

Diane-I am so sorry to hear that you did not have a good relationship with your sister. I do pray that you have found some really wonderful girlfriends along the way to share and bond with.

I understand about crazy/weird families. Ours was always dramatic, especially when my youngest nephew was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Every holiday season  was filled with yelling, screaming, crying, and general nastiness. Praise the Lord, he is recovering from both addictions for almost 30 years.

Now I get to sit back and watch my sister's oldest son, and his family, deal with their son-in-laws parents. I don't have to be part of any drama. Just watch it unfold before my eyes. Kinda nice.

Another thing I don't understand is you only get one family so why stay mad at them. I am speaking of my youngest nephew who no longer speaks to his only nephew. How does that happen? So he once, along time ago, said something you did not like. So what! Get in his face and tell him that was unacceptable. Or explain why it is the way it is. Heck, I've been angry with both of my nephews from time to time. I just get in their face or I let it go. They are the only nephews I'm going to have and I don't want to go through life being angry. I want to pour out my love for everyone.

So sorry. I guess I'm feeling a little emotional today.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 1:07 PM

It's OK Linny.  Families make you emotional.  I could tell you stories.  But that doesn't do anything for me really except get me upset.  I think if family upsets you even after you said what you think, you have to keep your distance.  It keeps me more stable and sane.  Stay with the ones who like you and you don't have this horrible history with.  It's not ideal but sometimes you can talk  until you are blue in the face and it doesn't help.  It just doesn't change.  No one is going to come back to me and say they are sorry that they stole most of my inheritance.  My brother in jail offers no apologies for the disruption he caused in our family growing up. It is emotional so I have to work these things out for myself and that is difficult.  My father's cousin Ray explained it to me.  He said I was the only one of the 4 children who seemed pleasant and happy growing up.  I try to remember that when I think about my crazy family.  I do have good girlfriends and that's a lifesaver.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 6:08 PM

Lillie and Diane, I think everyone has this stuff to one degree or other in their families,  I know I do.  I have never met a family without some of it.  I get emotional sometimes, too.  I think Lillie is right.  Speak your peace and if the situation is unbearable, make your own life away from them or avoid them to the degree that is possible.  I have a sister that I can only love if I talk to her once or twice a year on the phone.  She lives right here in my town, too.  I have tried to share my life with her but she wants to use my life to make hers better.  That's who she is.  I don't believe she can help it or see anything wrong with it really.  That is painful if I hold on to who I wish she was or what I think is fair.  The rest of the family feels the same about her, so I'm not alone.  It's sad, but if I try to let her into my life I get to where I'm a nervous wreck and have unforgiveness toward her because inevitably she ends up using me to her own purposes.  I can't live with that, so I keep her at arms length.  We don't share holidays or birthdays to speak of.  When someone gets sick or dies or something we speak.  Beyond that it's nothing.   I am lucky that I have my other sister.  I really know that as I get older.  We have a doozey of a history in our early years, mostly because of the other sister.  She managed to get everyone at odds all the time, so there was always yelling and screaming going on, especially around the holidays.  It was particularly hard on my mom.  She would get these migraines and be out of commission for days.  She and that sister were just 2 personalities that just clashed.  Everything was mom's fault in my sister's eyes.  When I think back I wonder what our family would have been like if she hadn't been in it.  Hard to say, right?  Human dynamics are complicated.  I used to worry about it but now I have my own life and mom and dad are gone and all the brothers, too.  I'm down to 2 sisters and one of them isn't part of my daily equation.  Some things only God can sort out I guess.  Be true to thine own self is the only way.

I'm sorry about your sister, Diane.  That's really sad.  Thank God for girlfriends, right?  You've got us, your Crazy quilting sisters.  We love you just fine.

Lillie, we'll miss you while you're away.  Have a wonderful time watching your sister's family dynamics, lol.  I had a little of that today at the birthday party for my niece. 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,845
Points 60,910
Robin replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 4:46 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

I have to agree with you ladies about families and drama.  I have found that it just works better to stay away from those people who have a tendency to poison my mind, soul and heart with negative thinking, whether it's them or just me I find I tend to live a much more peace filled life without dragging myself though that.   Like you I have family members that I just don't find alot of points we can agree on. 

Anyway,  today's test day.   Hooray!   I will be glad to have this behind me. 

I did carve out a little bit of time this weekend to work on Lillie's block.   Should be done in time to mail it by the 1st. 

Lillie have fun with your sister.

Off to school for me!  It's a short week, but still much stuff to do.   I hope you all have a great day.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 5:52 AM

As hard as it was I too have had to distance myself from people that suck the life out of me. It took years for me to realize the difference in people that needed help and people that just made bad life choices and lived chaotic lives. Some people just have their own agenda and have no concious in who they hurt to get there. That's one of the beauty of aging. Being able to recognize people for who they are, and realizing that I had a choice as to whether or not to include them in my life.

I remember my younger brother being so messed up with alcohol and drugs. After months of chaos, one day  I randomly opened my bible and it fell to the chapter where God cast Satan out of heaven. An epiphany? I thought if he could do this then why can't I? I don't think as Christians God ever intended us to suffer for, or at the hands of others that have no considerations for anyone but themselves. I had my brother arrested that week. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Still brings tears to my eyes remembering. Once his mind was clear again, he thanked me and told me I saved his life. My blessing is that we are closer now than ever.   It wasn't what I expected. Honestly I thought he'd hate me. But at that time it was better for me to think of that, than him dying or doing something stupid and having to live with the guilt that I stood by and did nothing.  

That's too heavy a conversation for Thanksgiving week, so I'm going to end it with telling you what a joy it was working on Diane's block yesterday. All day too mind you! Just having a "free" day to do what I wanted was Grand!

Linny,

I think we may have matching spaces now with the pretty stuff and bits of threads all over. Didn't take long for that clean table to pile up. LOL

Robin,

Best of luck on your test today!!!! Looks like I'll be having a short week too. Monday night and Friday. Nice.....  

Have to end with a cute puppy story. I give the dogs marrow bones from time to time. It's been a while and I thought they were all gone. Yesterday, I saw Bella with one and then she'd walk behind the couch and then there were two. One more trip behind the couch and there were three. She has been hiding them and guess she thought it was a good day to share. LOL. Wonder what else she has hidden back there. LOL I see they are all missing again this morning. I'll have to see if she's put them back. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:23 AM

That's cute about Bella saving her Maro Bones.  I give those to my doggies, too.  Lillie eats hers all gone.  Lucky likes to burry them in her blanket.  They don't wash well, unfortunately, lol.  Sometimes one will get lost under the furniture.  It's amazing that when I put my hands on the piece of furniture to move it, Lucky is right there,  nose to the floor, just waiting to get the lost Maro Bone as soon as it becomes visible.  It's like she' knows it's there and it 's about time I moved that thing so she could get it, lol. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 11:24 AM

Robin, Happy short week and good luck on your test.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,845
Points 60,910
Robin replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 1:38 PM

Well, good, bad or indifferent.  My test is behind me!

It will be a week or so before I know the results.  I plan on using that time to quilt, grade papers and anything else I need to do.   Seems like a load has been lifted.  

Have a good evening. 

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 2:04 PM

Robin--what test are you talking about.  I guess I missed it when you talked about it.  Glad to hear that you will have time off to do some things that you want to do.

Today I am working on my work quilt.  Amazing how difficult it is to quilt.  Not at all like anything I've ever done.  I would much rather be doing Robin's block.  I should be getting my ribbons in the next few days from ribbon smyth.  It's coming priority mail and I have lots to choose from.  I already have ideas about what I want to do so I am looking forward to stitching it.

I am almost finished row 8 of 14---it's coming along!

Page 265 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev263264265266267Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use