My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,084
Points 41,620
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for your kind words about Odie.  I called her previous mommy last night to explain.  She was sad but not angry.  It is a sad ending to her long life.  And she was a nice iguana.  I waited for 2 years after Bubba died to get Odie but hopefully I won't wait too long for the next one.  I am looking into rescue organizations now.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:35 AM

Stephanie:

When I was little, I believed I just needed to change the channel like on tv, and I'd twist my ear like it was a knob and Disney would appear. See, I was crazy even then. LOL. But it worked, and I'm glad you brought this memory back. I guess what I'm trying to say, and something I need to put back into practice, is that when those worse case scenarios put fear and anxiety in our lives , stop and divert our attention to something good. Something simple. A small task, a smile to your family, fixing our hair, lighting a candle, a hug.   

Good advise, Stephanie.  I can just see you twisting your ear now in front of an impossible customer who is ranting on about something, LOL.  Reminds me of that verse in the Bible that starts,  "Think on these things......" (Phillipeans 4:8.)  Also, that old song "These are a few of my favorite things......". 

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:45 AM

Diane, I hope you find another iguana.  Since you have that habitat, the sooner you get another animal in there, the sooner you'll stop thinking about Odie.  Oh, my, it just breaks my heart that this happened and how it must have felt to tell her previous mommy. 

Is there anything you can do to make sure that they can't fall off your balcony again?  Maybe if you got a canine cage and put it out there.  They'd still be able to get sun with no chance of getting over the edge.  Too bad I live so far away from you.  I have a huge one I'd give to you if it'd help.   

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,808
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:52 AM

Linny t:
I can just see you twisting your ear now in front of an impossible customer who is ranting on about something, LOL.

Or you with your Boss. I can see him asking, "Linny, is something wrong with your ear?" and you replying, "No, my friend told me she used to do this and you'd disappear and Disney would come on. Guess it only works for her. " LOL

Now, look what you've done. I'll be singing that song all day. LOL. I'll add Bible verses and music to my list of pleasant diversions. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,808
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:54 AM

Diane:
I called her previous mommy last night to explain.

That was a very respectful thing to do, and it must have been very dofficult for you. I hope you find another soon as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,084
Points 41,620
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:16 PM

Thanks Stephanie.

As far as mental health goes, I used to be able to compartmentalize fairly well.  Like shut everything out when I was at work.  And I was able to shut out work at home much of the time.  It was out of necessity. My daughter was a bit worry on my mind.  For sleep, I would imagine I was in the poppy field in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy and friends ran through and fell asleep.  I also used wine and then later hypnosis for sleep.  What I do now is take antidepressants and something for sleep at night.  It works so much better and I don't have to work so hard.  I'm not saying meds are right for everyone, but I tried so many things and finally found that meds worked best for me.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 9,170

Oh Diane, I am so sorry that this happened to Odie. She seemed like she was going to fit in so good with you. It felt almost like one of my pets had died. Jo  .:<(

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,084
Points 41,620
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 2:33 PM

Linny t:
Is there anything you can do to make sure that they can't fall off your balcony again?

Linny, you are absolutely right.   I have 3 long planters out there but there are still areas that she could go through.  I think she was looking for more sunlight and fell off.  That's what the vet said and the sun had moved on the balcony.  I am thinking of getting some type of mesh or chicken wire to cover the rails.  I used to put Bubba out there and he never got near the edge.  It's my mistake.  The bearded dragon just jumped off to get away.  She was very feisty.  I think I have finally learned this lesson the hard way.

A dog crate is another option but I would rather not take up space.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 287
Points 26,365

Diane, i am sorry to hear about Odie and pray that you will be able to get a rescue Iguana soon.

What a loss for you.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,808
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:23 PM

Diane:

Thanks Stephanie.

As far as mental health goes, I used to be able to compartmentalize fairly well.  Like shut everything out when I was at work.  And I was able to shut out work at home much of the time.  It was out of necessity. My daughter was a bit worry on my mind.  For sleep, I would imagine I was in the poppy field in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy and friends ran through and fell asleep.  I also used wine and then later hypnosis for sleep.  What I do now is take antidepressants and something for sleep at night.  It works so much better and I don't have to work so hard.  I'm not saying meds are right for everyone, but I tried so many things and finally found that meds worked best for me.

Thanks for sharing this part of yourself with us. The field of poppies from Oz is a beautiful place. I like the term compartmentalize. That's what we do for self preservation. I remember when my Doctor first put me on meds. He stressed that every living creature needs rest to be able to function. I believe this to be true, and whatever it takes to get it, we need. For now, a bunch of tucked in furbabies snoring their little snores seems my ticket to sleep.LOL

Have you heard from your daughter at all? I remember several months ago they changed her meds and she became distant.

I was thinking about the mesh barrier. Would that black plastic screen work? It's pretty inexpensive. You could poke small holes and run those plastic tie electricians use to hold it to the balcony rails. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,084
Points 41,620
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:29 PM

I have talked with my daughter through emails.  She is angry about her teen years.  She was very sick back then and could get so paranoid.  She blames me a lot still.

The mother there wants me to come for the holidays again so we will see what will happen.

I'm going to check out the plastic screen next time I go to the hardware store.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Seems like I fit right in with this bunch.   Listening to all of you talk about your past experiences gives me hope and encouragement.    

I'm really ok other than the not sleeping which seems to just make me real sleepy at this time of the day, so I don't get as much done when I get home as I would like.  

Stephanie,  

Thanks for the link I haven't looked at the book yet but I will as soon as I finish this post and start supper.   I have a great textbook and strong curriculum I just can seem to wrap my head around how to go about doing everything.   The National Restaurant Association offers a program called prostart, which we are now linked to, and I have some wonderful friends who have offered support and suggestions, I just have this overwhelming since of what have I gotten myself into.    Then with all the comments from people about when are we going to start cooking I'm just really twirling.   That's what I call it when my head starts out thinking the reality.   Anyway I'm sure after I get this year under my belt and pass the servsafe test, I'll feel a little more confident.   

You ladies are great for supporting me.   I thank you all for caring.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,808
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:55 PM

Diane:

The mother there wants me to come for the holidays again so we will see what will happen.

I'll keep praying for a breakthrough for her.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,808
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:01 PM

Robin:

You ladies are great for supporting me.   I thank you all for caring.

We love you Robin. It would have been nice if this class would have come with some kind of plan streamlined to meet your needs. Sounds like trial and error at this stage. May take a couple years to really develop fully. It will be fun to hear the progression of it all.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:48 PM

Stephanie:

Or you with your Boss. I can see him asking, "Linny, is something wrong with your ear?" and you replying, "No, my friend told me she used to do this and you'd disappear and Disney would come on. Guess it only works for her. " LOL

Now, look what you've done. I'll be singing that song all day. LOL. I'll add Bible verses and music to my list of pleasant diversions. 

ROFLOL!  I can just see him.  That would be so funny I don't think I could do it without LOL.

Linny T

Page 195 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev193194195196197Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use