My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,465
Robin Posted: Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:06 AM

I thought we could use a spot where we could write about our day and then everyone would be able to follow along and not miss anything because they didn't check in a specific thread like BOM or Fairy Tales.   I guess I just don't want to miss any of the life events you guys are going through because I miss a thread.

I spent Saturday in full motion.  Why is it my house is always dirty and it can't clean itself while I'm at work.  I clean til about 1:00 and then was able to settle into some piecing and work around my laundry.   I made myself complete 5 more FWS.  That makes a grand total of 85.   Then I worked on my BOM for December.  I posted the base for the block in the BOM section.  

I didn't touch a UFO.    I've got one out but it's so old I don't have any motivation to finish it.  It was suppose to be for my oldest DD when she was in her purple phase.   She is now years past it but the quilt is in pieces.   I started it with Quilt University but the class closed before I finished it.  Mainly because my friends husband was at the end of his battle with cancer and I spent alot of time helping her.    But I really want to finish the top and quilt it.  Then maybe give it to a charity.  It has some mistakes that a newbie would make like poor pressing so I'm not sure it would be a good charity quilt.    Maybe I can find the motivation to work  on it next weekend when I have an extra day.

Robin

• Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

Robin:
I just don't want to miss any of the life events you guys are going through because I miss a thread.

That's sweet. If it will be easier for you, I'll definitely make the effort  to do this.  

I know what you're saying about the house. Since we've had the puppy, I feel like I have three kids in the house.LOL. It definitely would be nice if they would clean themselves. Five more FWS blocks is a great achievement. You'll have that finished in no time. What a treasure it will be.

I saw your UFO and it's definitely worthy of being finished . I think when you purchase a class, it should be available to you anytime. With pdf files, we should be able to download the lessons like a book. That was one thing I was very happy about The Encrusted Crazy Quilting class I took from pintangle. I made a notebook and can reference back anytime I need to. Anyway, back to your quilt,  I hope you feel inspired to finish it.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Robin, great idea.  Glad you started this thread.  I will also try to keep everyone posted thru this what is happening.

I love your UFO and agree with Stephanie that it is worthy of completion.  Don't underestimate your ability and your skill.  This will be a wonderful quilt once completed.

Today has been a usual Sunday.  Church and church related stuff this morning.  Came home and had lunch.  Planned dinner and decided to take a moment to catch up on what is happening in QCA and log in for fabric for life.  Now I am off to the dungeon to do some laundry and sewing.

Weather is very unseasonable and Kyle is hoping for snow.  We will have to get some eventually.  Weather man reported that winter and spring have a way of equalizing each other.  If we have no winter now, we will when it is supposed to be spring.    Would much rather have it now than in April.

Hope that everyone is having a good day. 

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290

Hey all!  Robin, this is a great idea.  :)

Sorry I haven't been on the computer much - I got a new computer game (Bejewelled 3) and I'm kind of hooked.  Ben's also been logging a lot of computer time with a game project he's been working on... I guess he and our friend Dave think one of their games could be made better with custom cards, so he's been working on that a lot. 

I joined a BOM on Craftsy that they are running for free right now.  2 blocks per month until October and then November and December we learn how to put it all together.  The membership in the class never expires and they do have some nice .pdf files to go along with the video.  Very nicely laid out and I'm having fun so far.

Today I've been cutting more 4" squares from my most recent additions to my 30's repro fabrics collection.  I cut a strip or 2 of 4" squares each time I add to my stash... the eventual goal is to make a queen sized quilt similar to that baby quilt I made for my own bedroom.  I figure if I cut a little at a time I won't be so overwhelmed when I start my project. 

Ben and I are both on a late lunch break from our projects right now so I thought I'd check in.  Right now I'm enjoying a large bowl of shrimp pasta with garlic oil and parmesean.  Ben hates seafood but had his own plans for lunch, so it was a perfect opportunity for me to make something I've been craving.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,465
Robin replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:09 PM

Wow seems like everyone is having a productive day. 

I did work on the beast today.   My new name for the quilt.   I figured out the center and got the top pieced.  It doesn't line up as well as I would like in part because I had to trim down the squares to make everything match up size wise.  

Anyway I'm going to spend about an hour on a final for one of my classes, take a bath and stitch a little more.

I also spent part of the afternoon planning a quilt with my husband for my inlaws for Christmas next year.   I hope it goes as well as we planned.

Stephanie,

Critters are so wonderful to love and so hard on a house.   I'm thankful I've finally caught up with the cleaning.

Darlene,

You need to post some of these recipes you use that is start and let cook.  I'm always looking for things that will cook themselves.

Claudette,

Good to hear from you.  4" squares sounds small.   I love the 30"s repo prints but haven't got around to using them for a project.   Tell Ben good luck on his gaming project.  My husband use to spend hours doing that stuff.   But it kept him busy, occupied and out of trouble most of the time.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,121
Points 110,575
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:58 PM

Hey, Claudette!  Good to hear from you.  I have a 30's fabric collection of FQs and a pattern I want to use them for that I came across while reorganizing.  I thought about you when I saw it.  Won't it be great to look in a room and see the bed covered with that stuff? 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,121
Points 110,575
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:16 PM

I agree that we need a place to just chat. It seems we all do it wherever the "party" is at.  It gets hard to follow all the discussions and I miss some just for lack of time or when a lot of people post and it spills over a page or 2.  I will do my best to post my daily "stuff" here.

Where is your UFO posted?  I couldn't find it.  Or was it your avitar when we were all going to wear purple?  I've seen your other quilts and can't imagine it's as bad as you make it sound.  With your ability I"m sure you will make it appear flawless.  Your quilts are all so pretty.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,121
Points 110,575
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:21 PM

Darlene, I lived in Illinois when I was young and I know what you're saying about the weather.  Better to get the snow part over with, although I do remember an Easter when there was still snow on the ground and it was fun for a kid. 

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Robin:
always looking for things that will cook themselves

Robin,

I do a lot of crock pot cooking when I am in creative mode. 

Today it was a pot roast with carrots and peeled potatoes.  Simple chuck roast stands up to the time in the crock pot well.  I sprinkle steak seasoning on the meat and put a whole onion in for flavor but then I can find it easy to pull out.  Family won't admit they like the flavor of the onion so I have to pull it out before putting on the table.

I think tomorrow we will have a pork roast done in the crock pot.  Not sure what I will put with it.  Usually use apple juice instead of water to give some flavor and moisturizes meat.

Okay, now that I have planned tomorrow's dinner, back to the dungeon.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290

Robin:
4" squares sounds small.

I guess it is... but remember, I sew 4 together and put the little white diamond in the middle.  So my blocks are 7.5" before finishing. 

Linny - I think a bed would look fabulous in 30's repros.  My bedroom is lilac with one purple accent wall (it was like that when we moved in and I liked it enough not to change it.  I even have a purple radiator!)  We have a 112 year old farmhouse (it is in town, but used to be a farm back in the day before it was parcelled off.)  My goal is to decorate the house so that it's like living in a bed and breakfast every day.  It's been slow going but I know someday we'll be able to get it right.

Ben made a crock pot roast yesterday - pork with seasonings and a jar of gravy poured over the top.  It was awesome - and even more so since I didn't have to cook it.  (Ben is the cook out of the two of us - I'm not overly fond of cooking.)

I just placed an order for "Dear Dorothy" fabrics from a place in Maine.  It's a 2010 print set, and I've been trying to locate more (I had bought a few fat quarters when I worked on that baby quilt last summer) but most places don't have all of the colors in stock.  I ordered 1.25 years of each of 10 fabrics (Christmas money from my mom.)  I know that's a weird amount but it got me free shipping.  :)  I really hope they truly do have it all in stock like the website says.

I suppose I should cut a few more blocks and get my laundry out of the dryer.  I want to get to bed fairly early, as I have a new account at work and I'm a bit stressed about it.  It's only for a month until they get it passed off to someone who will handle it permanently, but it's in poor shape and my boss would like my help cleaning it up before passing it off again - one lady who had the account up and quit, and then the girl who took it over was new and it was too much for her - she up and quit with no notice while I was on vacation the week after Christmas, and no one's touched the account since, so it's only getting worse.  I'm kind of known for being able to turn around problem accounts, so I'm hoping I can succeed with this one.  Last week I had panic attacks about it that were really bad, but I seem to be calmer about it now.  I think finding out I was only going to have it for a month helped with that.  I did find out that I get a small bonus (the company didn't do so well this year due to the economy, but it's $300.00 I wouldn't have otherwise, so I'm not complaining.)  More money for fabric... heh heh heh.

Have a great evening everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

Claudette,

Good to hear from you! Congrat's on getting a new computer for Christmas. I got so hooked on playing Freecell, that I would spend hours playing. Time just blows by doing that.

Your quilt made with thirties repro fabrics sounds like it will be beautiful in your room, and the Craftsy class sounds like it has all the elements of the kind of class I want when I sign up for one.  So glad you are enjoying it.  

The goal of decorating your house like a Bed and Breakfast sounds cozy. Do tell more? My grandmother turned her three story Victorian house into one after my grandfather died. I didn't get to visit much, but everytime I did I was fascinated. Something wonderful was always cooking, and the table set with beautiful linens and china. I remember her staircase was solid beautiful wood, polished and spotless with stairs that spanned at least six feet wide. I know an adult could have laid across one easily. One part of the bottom led off to the kitchen and the other into a parlor. She had knick knacks from far away lands, as one of her customers was a traveling salesman and would bring her a gift when he'd go out of the country.  

Try not to worry too much about the account. You know you can do it, and it's just a temporary hardship in the giant scope of things. The bonus will be a nice perk for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,994
Points 64,465
Robin replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:50 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I thought I would check in before I ran off to play with the children, or teenagers as they prefer to be called.

Darlene,  thanks for the idea about the apple juice in the pork roast sounds delicious.    Claudette I also like the idea of the gravy.   I will have to try both.

Linny,   No the purple quilt that was my avatar is finished.   It now belongs to one of my former students.  She was a teen mom who had a lot of self doubt.  I made her that and told her that purple was a sign of royalty and she needed to remember she was a princess.     The beast as I have now named it was originality for my Laurie when she was about 12.   She'll be 21 next month.   I put it on the shelf and never finished it.   Now I'm determined too as part of the UFO Challenge.  When I showed it to her yesterday she asked if it was still going to be her's.  I said if you want it you can have it.  She seemed pleased.

Claudette, I love that you are decorating your house with such detail.   I would love to see it.  I'm like Stephanie I want to hear more.     I hope your month with the account will go well for you.  I'm sure that they would not have given it to you, if they didn't think you were their "go to" person.   Try to think of it as your boss recognizing your abilities and talents.

I almost forgot.   I order CT Blue Symphony fabrics last night to make a quilt for my inlaws for Christmas next year.   I know I want be able to work on it until this summer but I was afraid the fabric would sell out before then.  I'm a little anxious about this one because it is extremely hard to surprise my inlaws with something they don't have the resources to buy for themselves.   They have been so good to us over the years I really want to do something to surprise them.  I hope this works.  

The words of the dwarfs,  Hi ho,Hi ho

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

Robin:
I did work on the beast today.   My new name for the quilt.   I figured out the center and got the top pieced.  It doesn't line up as well as I would like in part because I had to trim down the squares to make everything match up size wise.

Beast. LOL. That's what I called a king size trying to stipple quilt it on my domestic machine. Good with you for going ahead with it. No one but you will know about the minor flaws, and most of them disappear when it quilted. The main thing is you will have finished it, Laurie will love it, and the beautiful fabric will no longer be a UFO. 

I saw the CT fabric collection you're talking about. It's beautiful. I haven't collected much blue fabric, but this one definitely caught my eye. It will make a beautiful quilt , and a wonderful gift for your in laws

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

I spent most of the weekend having Mikey time. I want to enjoy as much of the weekends that he takes off as I possibly can, before he decides to plunge back into a six day schedule. Even though we work together, it's all business on the job so home time is important to me.

We had an estimate Saturday and then a nice lunch at Applebees restaurant. He took me by Joann's to pick up some printable fabric. I am making a baby quilt for a friend with Elvis photo's. He's a huge Elvis fan. So much so I know the baby will be nicknamed Elvis. LOL. Probably can't post pic's because of copyright, but it will be a fun project.  It'll be a mix of pic's and song titles.  It takes some computer time putting all the titles together and sizing them out in the emb. program.

Most of Sunday was spent watching old westerns. Even the animals seemed to need a lot of attention, so I just resigned myself to  flow with it. As usual, lots of laughs with the pup. Mike had gone into take a shower and just as he has gotten out she steals his towel and comes bounding into the living room with it, with him following close behind. LOL. 

Mary Corbett's giveaway has ended. 12 days of prizes and what looks like a huge participation. Good luck to any of you that entered any of the drawings. I have never won anything but cakes in a cakewalk, so I'm not anticipating much as there were no cakes listed as prizes. LOL. Oops, that's not totally true. I forgot the M&M machine. Hmmm, another food related prize.  I have yet to fill that little cutie up.   

Have a great day, and Bless All of Your Hearts...... 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290

I love that CT blue fabric too.  Still trying to decide if I want to buy some and start a second BOM from my class with some of that blue.

Page 1 of 366 (5486 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use