Halloween 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 307 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Claudette:
We have two large framed Leighton prints - "The Accolade" and Godspeed" - hanging in our living room. 

I looked these up . Beautiful prints! They'd make great silkies for CQ. I have a love for this myself. "Camelot" style movies. Good vs Evil, the costumes, gowns, armor, rich fabrics, crests, scrolls, imaginary creatures (dragons, pegasus and unicorns). Castles, oh, and even the horses were dressed  to fit their kingdom. What  perfect thoughts to go to sleep on.......

Have a wonderful evening,and get some rest..... 

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:43 AM

Claudette, what a wonderful tribute to the costume memory and to remind your creative self that it still lives within even on cloudy days...that's what I call days where I'm depressed...It's going to be great.  I like the way the silkie is handled in the attached block, as well as how the silk ribbon is used.  I find that I like seeing where little silk ribbon flowers appear kind of like pretty little volunteers do in my garden...taking off out of every little chance they get to get started.  I like it most when they ignore the borders of the patches. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 12:00 PM

I took a look back at your link Claudette. There is a lot of detail in this block! Lots of silk, beads, and looks like a machine embroidery done on organza or tulle. I like how the patches circle around the silkie. It leads all of the seams back into the center. I think you picked a great starting point with a block laid out like this.  Look forward to seeing the fabrics  and silkie sewn down.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 12:56 PM

Linny t:
I find that I like seeing where little silk ribbon flowers appear kind of like pretty little volunteers do in my garden...taking off out of every little chance they get to get started.  I like it most when they ignore the borders of the patches. 

Me too Linny. Some of my most admired blocks have crossovers at some point where the stitching or elements don't always follow the straight lines of the block, but meander and swirl around.  

I allotted myself five hours to sew this morning before I have to get down to business. I had a revelation that I am an early morning person, and if I get up and sew first I might get something done. I really have the urge to handsew in the evening, but Mike likes to turn out all the lights by 7:30 or so, and I find myself sitting here wanting to spend time with him and wanting to sew. He is and always will be my top priority, so I just have to readjust my schedule to sew. I'm at an age where I see better by the light of day anyway, so why fight it ?(mentally that is). Anyway, I was able to complete my MQ5 blocks and cut them down to size. There were 20 of them to trim and square up, so that took some time. I laid them out and rearranged them until I just had to stop. I still need to decide on the fabric for the sashing and cut it out and finish the top. We have until the 19th to post for viewers choice. I'm usually late as life is filled with good intentions. LOL, but I get them done, usually a week or so after the deadline. You'd think by my habits here that I would be one of those people that are always late, but I'm actually just the opposite in real life. I wake up early, I'm early for appointments, work and everything else.

I don't understand why I hit such a stall when I'm doing CQ. I have all of these wonderful ideas, and yet I just can't seem to make up my mind where to put them and bring them into fruition.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny t:
have you thought about a Ning site? 

Linny, I jumped in tonight and started an account at Etsy.  Couldn't remember Ning at that moment and was having trouble getting to QCA.  I spent quite some time looking around the site and was impressed with amount of quilts available but slightly daunted by pricing.  The people selling on Etsy are quite pricey or so it seems to me.  I talked to Tim and he said I need to figure in fees but still much higher than I am not able to get for the items locally.  I can't see getting more on line than when the customer can see and touch.  Am I thinking crazy?  Or will the fact that others are selling baby size crazy quilts for over $100 make mine look appealling when I post for $50?

Well, I am off to check out Ning.  I'lll be back to let you know what I find.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Well everyone, I have started my website.  Come visit me at www.crazyquilts14020.ning.com.  Hope this link works.  I plan to post daily updates but know that my life has been getting in the way lately and I may not be able to post daily.

When I get business cards printed again, i will include the website on them so people will have a way to find me and hopefully between this and etsy, I will be able to sell somethings.

Let me know what you think.  It is still a work in progress.  I won't be offended if anyone has suggestions of how to improve.

Thanks everyone.  Hope that you all have a Marvelous Monday.  I plan to.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:15 AM

Darlene,

Congratulations!!!

I took and peek and it looks like a great start.  I can't wait to watch it grow.    I am so proud of how much you have accomplished in the last couple of months.  You have dealt with so many challenges and still have continued forward.   As my students would say "You go girl!"

I hope you have a better than Marvelous Monday.  

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 5:39 AM

Great start, Darlene!  I singed up for your site.  I found Ning through Stitchin Fingers, Sharon Boggon's site.  She has tons of members and groups, so you can see what you can do with yours.  I think maybe those people selling baby quilts for $100 may not be selling them, but hey, if they are, why not, right?  Anyway, you are off on your journey and from what you've told us about how you have been getting customers already, I don't see what wll stop you with your online adventure.  What I know about the online selling is that you find your niche and market that.  Have fun with it. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:06 PM

bump

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:24 PM

Linny t:

Here's a picture of my progress.  Sorry it's a little crinkly, but I didn't take time to press it pretty.  Most of the seams are stitched down, but I am far from complete, as you can easily see.  I still have embroideries, beads and charms to do as well as a boarder and backing.  I have come to the conclusion that I will only finish this by this Halloween if I take off of work and only work on it every minute until the 31st.  Either that or put a boarder on it and call it done far before I feel like it.  There is so much I want to do with it yet and I feel like I need to make it done well instead of just done, so I'm not going to pressure myself to finish it by next Monday.  

I have found out that I won't be home handing out candy anyway.  I'll be at my daughter's house enjoying the night with her and my grandson who will be dressed up as a ninja and saying "trick or treat" and getting candy in his cute little almost 4 year old way :)   

I found the block, Diane

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:33 PM

Linny t:
I found the block, Diane

Good that you found the pic.  You did do a lot of work on it though!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 1:55 PM

I did.  It occured when I saw it that I had a lot of fun doing this CQ.  Wish I could have found it.  Next year, I hope. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Thanks for finding the block. I love this one. It's fun to see it again, and to look back on Claudette's excitement while she was making her costume. Your stitching is so perfect. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,334
Points 113,880
Linny t replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:43 PM

Yes, I had fun looking back at Claudette's costume adventures.  She is some costumer, don't you think?  I wonder what ever happened to her.  I haven't seen her posting in a very long time. She was really creative and talented.

I wished I could have found that thing.  I would love to have finished it this year.  Oh, well.  I probably wouldn't have had the time to.  So much has happened in my life since I was making that.  Wow!  Time has really flown, hasn't it?  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:
She is some costumer, don't you think?  I wonder what ever happened to her.

I see her from time to time on here. She was doing the craftsy bom. Not sure if they all finished them or not.

Linny t:
Time has really flown, hasn't it?  

Hasn't it! I feel like I just blinked my eyes and it's almost the end of the year again.

Page 20 of 21 (308 items) «Prev1718192021Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use