Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:25 AM

Stephanie:
My grandmother had a house similar to this,

How cool!  Is it still in your family?

Stephanie:
The photo would just be a basis for a sketch. I'd like to expand the entry stairs and door opening, raise the railings, arch the upper window and recreate and raise the roof line. And of course backlight the windows.

Are you sure you weren't an architect in a past life???

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:42 AM

Where my daughter lives in Schenectady there are old victorian homes all in a row.  When I visisted I loved going past them.  There was one on the corner, though, that had been abandoned and it looked haunted.  I wanted so badly to go inside and look-see, but there was a fence around it with a locked gate.  It even had an upstairs window that was broken out and an old lace drape hanging out all tattered and dead vines all over the front.  It was a mystery why all the others had been lived in and really well preserved and this one was empty and really delapidated.  Of course my imagination went into high gear and thought maybe some awful person owned it and had killed their entire family, including the pets and it was haunted so badly no one could live there....Hey, might as well make life interesting, I say :)

I know what you mean about the wherewithall to go with it.  There must be a ton of upkeep on old places like that.  Still, how charming it must be on the inside...especially in those that are 3 story with the widow walks,stained glass windows, with 10 bedrooms and multiple fire places.   

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,993
Points 64,400
Robin replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 5:29 AM

Linny,

You are braver than I am.  

But there is one for sell here in Madison and my hubby claims it is haunted.   Want to move in?

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Linny t:

Unfortunately, no. She left it to my aunt who was living with her until she passed away. Silly bird, sold it for $45,000.00. She had lost her husband about a year before that and decided to rent a smaller place. She got taken in from a man she met and ended up getting taken for all the money as well. Sad. I know that house had stories to tell. It was a kind of spooky that when you went to the second floor, you could feel a presence. My sister and I would have to go up together. We didn't want to be alone,in case we saw a ghost.  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Linny t:
There was one on the corner, though, that had been abandoned and it looked haunted.  I wanted so badly to go inside and look-see, but there was a fence around it with a locked gate.

Sounds like a description from a novel. You really missed your calling as a writer! I don't know what it is about places like this that draw us in. They're fascinating to think about and imagine. We had such fun as kids telling scary stories and giggling afterwards.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:53 AM

Stephanie:
Sounds like a description from a novel. You really missed your calling as a writer! 
  Other people have said this to me, but I like sewing too much to be a writer, lol.  Maybe once I retire I'll have time to do both.

While I was reading Claudette's writings about making her costume, I started to remember all the years I put Halloween costumes together for the kids.  One year when my oldest was 3, I made her a jack-o-lantern costume out of paper machet.  I used one of those big bouncy balls for the form.  When it was dry I painted it and cut out the face and put a flashlight in there so it would be lit.  I made a hood for her that looked like a stem out of green felt and used the same felt to make show covers that looked like leaves.  With green tights, she was all set.  She was adorable.  We went door to door and I remember how she started sort of acting the part by doing a silly little dance when people admired her costume.  At the end of the evening she tripped in a pot hole in the road.  Her costume cracked open just like a real pumpkin, but she wasn't hurt because that big round thing took the blow of the fall.  Somewhere in my world I have a polaroid of her in that costume.  I wonder where it is.  In fact I bet I have lots of pics of kids in costume.  I need to gather them all together and scan them.  Hey, then I could print them on fabric and put them into my CQ! 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:14 PM

Too cute for words! I can just picture a little silly dance done by a three year old dressed up like a pumpkin. The scanning and printing sounds like a great idea for making your own silkies! I wish I had a pic of Paul at that age when I transformed him into a Smurf. Blue face and all. LOL.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:19 PM

Stephanie:

Linny t:

Unfortunately, no. She left it to my aunt who was living with her until she passed away. Silly bird, sold it for $45,000.00. She had lost her husband about a year before that and decided to rent a smaller place. She got taken in from a man she met and ended up getting taken for all the money as well. Sad. I know that house had stories to tell. It was a kind of spooky that when you went to the second floor, you could feel a presence. My sister and I would have to go up together. We didn't want to be alone,in case we saw a ghost.  LOL

That's too bad.  She must have been sick over it.  I've always wanted to have an old victorian house.  My second husband and I lived in a 100 year old farm house.  It wasn't very ornate because it was apparently the "kitchen" house where all the food was cooked for the farm hands.  It was only 1 story and had one very large room and 2 side rooms and what used to be a wrap around porch before someone tried to make it have more rooms by closing it off.  I often felt a presence in that house.  My husband said it was his gramma who had died there.  I figured she wouldn't hurt me because there was an old string quilt left that she had made.  No one had appreciated it and it was all tattered, but I figured if she was a quilter, she was good.  Geesh, that was back in the 80's.  I am getting old! 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Linny t:
but I figured if she was a quilter, she was good. 

And most likely she was good! Sounds like a neat old place.

I went on Etsy today just for fun. I hit on a nice site with vintage buttons. She was selling them in collections for less than you can buy buttons now for. I think I got about 80 for $24. That's one area that I am really lacking.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290

Linny, you have to find that picture and share - that sounds like an awesome costume!  My brother was a TV set one year...  I was pretty tiny so it had to be like 38 years ago.  She drew pictures on butcher paper taped to dowels so Dan could change the channel by "scrolling" to the next screen.  I felt bad becuase she made him a costume and I wanted one too ( I think I was about 3 then) so she took a paper sack and cut fringe all around and made armholes and a neckhole.  Then she put a hair band on like a headband and stuck a fether in it and called it good.  We went to the Halloween party and I won a prize in my age division but Dan didn't win anything... he was so sad.  My mom couldn't believe the costume for me (that she spent a whole 10 minutes on) won.  I guess I was just super cute.  :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 7:51 PM

Stephanie:

I went on Etsy today just for fun. I hit on a nice site with vintage buttons. She was selling them in collections for less than you can buy buttons now for. I think I got about 80 for $24. That's one area that I am really lacking.

Wow, vintage buttons?  Got a link or picture.  I'd love to see them.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 7:58 PM

That's a great story, Claudette.  I bet you felt like a little indian princess and I'm sure you were super-cute.  Dan's costume sounds great, too.  I like that it had moving parts.  What a neat idea!  Your mom's creative, too!  Is that where you get it?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:06 PM

What a great idea you had Linny for the costume.  My daughter was a princess for several years and of course I have pics.  What great memories!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290

Linny t:
Your mom's creative, too!  Is that where you get it?

I come from a fairly talented family - my dad was a top-notch woodworker who taught me a lot about power tools, measuring, and design.  My mom sewed everything from motorcycle seats to wedding dresses and everything in between.  My paternal grandfather got me interested in drawing, and my mother used to draw a lot, too.  She even illustrated our church cookbook many years back.  My maternal grandfather was also a woodworker, and my matermal grandmother was a teacher.  I was also blessed that the art program in our small school was supported and I had some talented teachers both in high school and in college.  Both of my parents were very supportive when it came to my creating things.  Well, except that whole drawing on the walls thing when I was little.  :)

I really love being a member of this group - so much support from very talented people.  You all are so amazing both as friends and as artists.  I'm inspired each time I come to visit this group. 

I drew up a *very* rough sketch of my idea for my costume - this is subject to change, but it's what I'm shooting for at the moment.  There will be a cameo both on the hat and on a matching necklace.  The red is a nice taffeta.  The hat is a velvety suede poly material, as is the sides of the vest.  The blouse and ruffled underskirt will be black cotton.  I have nice brass buttons  and the tiny gold dots may or may not end up in the final costume - those would be brass as well, possibly paper fasteners if I cannot find studs.  (If it's too much trouble I may just leave them off and add some gold piping or something.)  I also have the black granny boots - if I have time and enough leftover fabric, I may make red and black spats to match.  I also got some short black gloves - hoping to add tiny red bows to those.  The hat is about half scale of a regular top hat.

Thank you all for indulging me here - I am so excited and most of my local friends don't sew, so they just think I'm making way too much work for myself when I could just go out and buy a costume.  I also can't share this sketch with anyone on my Facebook and such as I don't want to spoil the surprise when I "unveil" this at the office Halloween party.  So thank you ladies for your patience and understanding lately. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:06 PM

Very rough sketch???!! You're kidding, right?  I'm in awe of this!  All I can say is WOW!  You will knock your co-workers on their butts!  See, what non-sewing people don't get is that for us it's not just a costume, it's bringing our vision to life.  Halloween is just a good reason to do it now.  You are an amazing artist, Claudette!  You inspire me!

Linny T

Page 2 of 21 (308 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use