Halloween 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 307 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,035
Diane replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 6:55 PM

Thank you Claudette!  Continue sewing to your heart's content!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,816
Points 365,822
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 12:50 AM

Claudette,

your ensemble is fabulous. What a great job you did putting it all together. Thanks for the awesome photos. I'm glad you had a good time.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,211
Points 111,895
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 11:13 AM

Claudette, your costume turned out so perfectly!  You look so pretty in it, too, and you wear it so well with that little bit of "sauce" I see you exhibiting in the pics; so "in character".  You will have to add them to your portfolio.  What a fun time it looks like, too.  That hat topped of the whole costume. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Thank you all for your compliments.  I am so happy you all allowed me to share this here.  most people do not understand my passion for sewing, and the support you all showed me was just wonderful!

I'm done with making the costume... but I can't promise it's the last you'll see of me in it.  I took a few of the photos and changed them to sepia toned... I think at least one of the pics would look cool in a CQ - possibly more.  I'm already trying to figure out how to work scraps, chains and leftover buttons and beads from my costume making in.  I've never done a CQ with a picture in it so I'm a bit hesitant as to how to get started.  Guess I'll have to pull out the books!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Linny t:
That hat topped of the whole costume. 

I have to admit the hat is my favorite part.  I really think the costume would have looked unfinished without it.  Thanks Linny!

Now on to the next project...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,211
Points 111,895
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 7:09 PM

Claudette:
I'm already trying to figure out how to work scraps, chains and leftover buttons and beads from my costume making in.
  This can only lead to something amazing!  Putting the pictures into a CQ will be awesome along with the jewelry, etc....and another adventure for you.  CQs can be steam punk too, right?  In fact I think I'd rather like to see that. 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,035
Diane replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 11:15 PM

Claudette:
  I've never done a CQ with a picture in it so I'm a bit hesitant as to how to get started.  Guess I'll have to pull out the books!

We have alot of talent in that area right here.  Just ask your questions and you will get answers.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,035
Points 65,535
Robin replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:43 AM

Claudette,

I bet you'll have no problems making a crazy quilt square with the picture in it.  Then you can do one with pictures of your other costume and clothing items, like your wedding outfits and put them together in a wallhanging.

Robin

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Robin:

I bet you'll have no problems making a crazy quilt square with the picture in it.  Then you can do one with pictures of your other costume and clothing items, like your wedding outfits and put them together in a wallhanging.

I'd been thinking along those lines myself, Robin.  I really wish I had costumes that covered more time periods.  I was thinking maybe a theme of time travel might be a fun one to play with.  I have a few good Renaissance pics and a few good Victorian-ish pics.  Maybe I could put a "present day" pic in as well.

I'm feeling just terrible today, so I think I'm going to stay home and sleep. If I feel up to it later, maybe I'll spend a bit of quiet time with my CQ books, and going through our media section here.  Right now I'm trying to stay awake long enough to be able to call in to my boss.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,211
Points 111,895
Linny t replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:10 AM

Claudette, I'm sorry you don't feel well today.  Hope you get better fast.  I like the time period concept.  It's like huge culture steps, sort of.  I mean from Renaissance  to Victorian to Steam Punk.  I think it really makes a statement of transformation.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563

Claudette,

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well today. You worked so hard these last few weeks getting your costume ready for the final day, and you worked it out famously! It's like studying for finals and dropping after their over. You have earned some "let down" time. I think a CQ with your pic's and Linny's and Robins ideas would be fantastic. I am trying to work a little medievil design, and  "fantasy" effect into my latest block. The silkie is a cover from an actual book, with a future queen locked in the tower of a castle guarded by a dragon. The silkie itself depicts an artist that embroiders a vision she has of the queen locked in the tower. I have been searching for "different" designs of the times. A mix of ornate,  traditional and fantasy. 

For incorporating and printing photos, I have used the EQ printables with great results. Use a Joann's coupon on them.

If you have Microsoft word or powerpoint you can do a full page of different size photos. For me the harder part isn't using the photo's. It's how to embellish around them. It's all a process, and one that takes time. I know whatever you do, it will be creative and wonderful and a keepsake to treasure.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Linny and Stephanie - thank you both for your adivce.  Since I was home sick today, I took a bit of time to look through my fabrics (it always makes me feel better) and I think I've found some fabrics that could work. 

I found this online  http://cqmagonline.com/vol07iss01/articles/779/full%20block%20ok.jpg and I think I'll do something similar to this.

So far I've found a few fabrics and gotten out some beads.  Forgot to lay my buttons out, but I have some of those left too.  I may buy another cameo to add as well, since they were the focal points of my costume.  Here's what I have so far - haven't even thought about threads as of yet.

I had some "Printed Treasures" fabric lying around so I printed off a pic - I changed the pic to sepia tone and then tinted the dress and hatband back to red. 

Still deciding about laces - maybe I could tat some or maybe tea-dye some (I've never tea dyed anything so that may be an adventure in itself.)  I might like some black lace in there somewhere too.

I think this will be for my studio.  I haven't got any decorations on the walls, and I think having this here will be good inspiration for me.  Sometimes with this whole depression thing, I need to remind myself how much fun sewing and creating is for me.  I had a lot of fun with this costume so this will be a great reminder to me.  Since it's also a CQ, it will also remind me of the support I received from you all while I made the costume.  So in a way, it will be my tribute to all of you who have been so helpful and supportive.  You all mean a lot to me!

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

Linny, I also wanted to say thanks for the advice bout the foundation fabric.  I'll see if a looser weave will help me out with my silk ribbon dilemma.

Stephanie, that fantasy block sounds fabulous - right up my alley!  We have two large framed Leighton prints - "The Accolade" and Godspeed" - hanging in our living room.  I've always liked fantasy art.  I can't wait to see your block!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563

Claudette,

This is Perfect! I love everything you have picked out. The picture looks great printed on PT fabric and the way you doctored it up looks so professional. This will be a great momento for your studio!

Claudette:
You all mean a lot to me!

You mean a lot to me (to all of us) too. I hope someday we'll all be able to meet in person. Maybe a little CQ Retreat. : ).

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,035
Diane replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 9:13 PM

Claudette---what a great idea you have.  I love the picture--it turned out very well and the combination of trims and fabric you chose.

Page 19 of 21 (308 items) «Prev1718192021Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use