Halloween 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 307 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t Posted: Sat, Oct 1 2011 10:51 AM

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to share what they are doing/making for Halloween this year, or to share a favorite Halloween story.  Since to day is October 1st, we'll have 30 days to share about it.

I am thinking of making a CQ table mat that will go under my candy bowl by the front door.  I don't have much in my stash that is exactly Halloween and the fabrics at my local store are cute and all, but I wanted something a little more vintage looking.  Here are some things I found on the net.

I thought I could print these background images onto printable fabric. 

I also found tons of free vintage clip art to make my own silkies.  I've posted the links below.  I will be having a hard time deciding which of these to use.  The victorians had a way of making spooky things cute. 

http://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+halloween+graphics+free&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hyx_Tu-VAZOjtgf2v9DDCQ&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=630

http://vintageholidaycrafts.com/category/halloween/

http://www.squidoo.com/vintage-halloween-art

http://collectibles.about.com/od/halloween/ig/Halloween-Clip-Art/Halloween-Poem.htm  http://momsbyheart.net/free-vintage-halloween-graphics/

Enjoy! and if you have any good links, please post them. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 7:56 AM

Here are my first silky printings.  I used Habotai silk that came on a roll.  I got it at JoAnns.  I just cut it to sheets and printed it right out.  Really easy.

The 2 on the right will be cut up for fabric patches.

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:48 AM

And here's my fabric pallet......so far....

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:11 AM

Linny t:
Here are my first silky printings. 

These look awesome Linny.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:15 AM

Linny - Can't wait to see what you do with all of this.  Your silkies look awesome. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:08 AM

Thanks.  I just got back from the flea market where I found some really cheap halloween charm bracelets for $1 ea.  I'm going to canabalize them for my block.  I also made the mistake of going to Michaels for some black floss.  Before I got out of there I had 3 kinds of black floss, 2 shades of orange, strung black sequins, 2 kinds of orange beads, a halloween texture sheet set and a ton of clearance stuff.  My best find, though was a card organizer.  It is see through plastic like those plastic shoe boxes, about 10" cube, with 6 plastic tabbed dividers that fit into slots in the box, with a hinged, snap close lid for $2.75.  One of the hinges on the lid is broken, but the lid still closes and latches.  I plan on using it for my trims.  I can wrap them around each divider and organize them by color.  I feel so clever right now, he, he, he.  I'm going to go play with everything :)

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,989
Points 64,365
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:10 AM

Linny,

Your selection is awesome.   I can't wait to see. 

October is a big month in our family for birthdays.  My father in law and want to be Son is both early October.   But my mother swear all of her children were trying to marry witches since one sister in law's birthday is October 29th, the other is October 30th and my hubby's is October 30th as well.  So far no Grandchildren with witch peaks or warlock noses.    

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:11 AM

Took a time out to check out the links, and one thing lead to another. LOL. I found a really cool actual photo of an old  house that is just like the mental picture I had. I will use as an "inspiration" for my thoughts on this. I plan to rework it some, but the "bones" of it will be the same.

Thanks for the links and your fabric choices are beautiful. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:14 AM

Is it that victorian house that looks like it could be a haunted house...the "Urban Mansion" I think it was called? I'd like to have an urban mansion like that to live in.  Wouldn't you?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:19 AM

Robin:
So far no Grandchildren with witch peaks or warlock noses.    

LOL! 

Wow that's a lot of birthday presents for one month!  Ricky's daughter's birthday is Oct. 31st.  She always dresses like a witch on her birthday.  She has a beautiful mane of long black hair and beautiful green eyes that go with the costume very well.  My oldest sister's birthday is the 18th.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,061
Points 41,295
Diane replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:55 PM

Linny t:
And here's my fabric pallet

Linny---just beautiful!!!  I can't wait to see what you do!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,061
Points 41,295
Diane replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 2:52 PM

Linny t:
Here are my first silky printings

The halloween silkies look great!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Linny t:
I just got back from the flea market where I found some really cheap halloween charm bracelets for $1 ea.  I'm going to canabalize them for my block. 

Totally missed this post. Charm bracelets for $1.00. What a deal! Canabalize them?

I really do need to get out more. Look at all the deals you found at Michaels. The card organizer sounds like a neat way to organize trims. Look forward to seeing your block.

Linny t:
I feel so clever right now, he, he, he.  I'm going to go play with everything :)

You're so cute!LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Linny t:

Is it that victorian house that looks like it could be a haunted house...the "Urban Mansion" I think it was called? I'd like to have an urban mansion like that to live in.  Wouldn't you?

Here's a link: http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16000000/Haunted-House-halloween-16050708-1280-800.jpg

My grandmother had a house similar to this, but hers had a third floor tower that was originally servants quarters. Just like you read about in the books. It had a winding stairwell that led up to the tower (an attic type room with a bath). All natural finished wood.It was stunning.  Beautiful and eery. The photo would just be a basis for a sketch. I'd like to expand the entry stairs and door opening, raise the railings, arch the upper window and recreate and raise the roof line. And of course backlight the windows. I don't know when I'll have time for all this, LOL. Mike said to be prepared to be swamped the next couple weeks, but it's on my "dream list".   Yes an urban mansion would be pretty cool. Having the wherewithall to go with it, even cooler!  

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:21 AM

Stephanie:
Canabalize them?
  I'm using the charms and some of the beads for embellishment, but not the whole bracelett.

Linny T

Page 1 of 21 (308 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use