Hussif - Part 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 373 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t Posted: Sun, Jun 5 2011 1:44 PM

Some of you have expressed interest in making a Hussif.  For those who don't know, a Hussif is basically a sewing case.  It's purpose is to keep sewing items in one place.  The word "Hussif" is old english for House Wife.  The word "Hussie" is derived from this, also.  I found this interesting because we think of Hussie as perhaps someone who is morally loose and has nothing to do with the image of a traditional house wife.  For us, I suppose, a Hussif is a place to keep our favorite sewing tools and another opportunity to create a little piece of CQ artwork.

When I started researching this, I found quite a few web tutorials for Hussifs in all different shapes and sizes.   In fact I was overwhelmed by the diversity.  In looking at all of these sites and patterns, it occurred to me that the important thing to each of these Hussif designers was that their Hussif will hold all the items they want it to hold.  Some of them held the usual scissors, needles/pins, thimble, etc.  Some held specialty sewing items.  Some held thread/floss/ribbon in addition to sewing items.  Most of them were rectangular, although I saw some that were fan-shaped, heart-shaped and octagonal shaped.  So, they were all individualized and there was quite a variety.  I'll list some of the better links I found at the bottom of this post.

In considering what size to make a hussif , the most important consideration is that it will hold everything you want it to hold.  So, the first step is to gather everything you want to put in your Hussif. 

I want my Hussif pretty, but I also want it to be my right hand for hand sewing and be portable.  So, I have gathered what I consider necessities for that purpose.  These are items I make sure I have if I'm taking my sewing with me somewhere, even if it's from the sewing room to the living room.

These tools measured approx. 22" wide by approx. 7" tall.  Since it's wide, I've decided to go with a tri-fold design.  This is where the width is divided by 3 and the outside thirds will fold over the center third.  I also know I prefer a rectangle to a square for the closed shape, somewhat the size of a paperback book.

Now I need to consider how thick I want my Hussif to be when it's closed up.  I have decided that I may want to carry spools of thread from time to time and this is the thickest thing I can imagine putting in my Hussif.  When I do applique on the go, I take along YLI 100 wt. silk thread in colors I plan to use.  I have a tube that holds 5 spools of thread and I'd like to incorporate that into my Hussif.  It measures 1.5" in diameter and 8" long.  This is thicker than the 3 thickest tools stacked on top of each other (thinking in the tri-fold design), so this is the thickness I will require in my hussif.  I am going to put this feature into the spine of my Hussif, so I will add 2" to the width requirement for a total of 24".  I've also determined the minimum height at 8" because of the YLI Spool tube.  So my minimum base dimensions are 24" x 8".

This is the process you will need to go through to arrive at the width and height of your Hussif.  Some of the patterns on-line do not consider the thickness when tools are added, so look for this if you use a pattern you find online.  If you don't consider the thickness, your Hussif won't close right.  You are making a 3 dimensional object, so you have to consider width, height and depth.

Now I need to decide how I want to arrange my tools in my hussif.   There are some features I want my Hussif to have.  I want a needlebook made out of felt.  I want a pin cushion.  I want to be able to keep flosses and threads for embroidery.  I also want to have a place for paper to make notes.  I want my Hussif to have it all, LOL.

I have three sections to work with, so I have divided my tools into three groups.

1.     Needles, pins, thimbles.

2.    Scissors, threaders, ruler/gauge.

3.  Marking tools, tweezers, seam ripper.

I have approx. 22" of area to lay out my tools (I do not count the 2" allowed for depth, so if I divide that by 3 I get 7.33".  To make my math life easier I will say I have 7" of width.  I will allow myself 6.5" to place tools on to leave some space around the edges.

Here's my tool layout.  The 6" ruler is under the marking tools just to get approximate placement.  The little red lid on the top left indicates where the pin cushion will be and the sticky notes symbolize where the needle case goes...don't forget to Smile :)

I managed to get all my tools into a width of 20".  That means I have a little room.  I'll probably need it for pocket attachments, so I'm feeling confident that this will work.

My next step will be to gather materials.  You know me.  I'm really in it for the embellishment, lol.  I think I'll try a padded satin stitch letter "L" on this.  Maybe...maybe not.  I'll discuss that in my next post.  Here are the links I spoke about to other Hussifs I found online.  Looking at these makes you want to make one.  They're all so beautiful.

http://ivoryblushroses.blogspot.com/2009/07/linen-hussif.html

http://tipnut.com/26-free-tutorials-for-needle-books-cases/

http://creativeribbons.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-hussif-tutorial.html

http://www.cqmagonline.com/vol03iss04/articles/375/index.shtml

Linny T

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,528

Linny,

I'm in awe of the incredible amount of thought and research you have put into this project for us. This is going to be a huge help in planning our Hussifs. Thank you.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 5 2011 7:55 PM

You are welcome, Stephanie.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Sun, Jun 5 2011 11:27 PM

thanks so much, linny, for all the effort you have put into this project,  well, all the projects.   you have made this group very special.  

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,890
Kat replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 10:43 AM

You have thought of everything, thanks

I would have never come up with the idea to get all the things I wanted in it and make it the right size.  You saved me a lot of trouble and agravation!  I would have made it the wrong size and then not been happy with it.

You sure do watch out for us,

Thank you for all the work you put in to this group!

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:04 AM

Thanks, Gini & Kat.  It's my pleasure, really.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 29,295

Linny, very well thought out and detailed.  You have given us a great base to start this project from.  I do not think I will participating with this because of graduation commitments which are in serious need of attention to be completed before graduation June 26. 

I have two gentlement graduating (one of them my son) who will be receiving memory quilts as graduation gifts.  There was a third who I would love to do something for but time has gotten away from me and he will not be getting one unless by some miracle I get these other two finished.  Not like I haven't known these guys were graduating and could have been working on these all along.  I am such a last minute Lucy.

Because they are memory quilts, they are made in a CQ fashion with old t-shirts and themed/novelty fabrics (mostly cottons and flannels) with themes to each block.  The blocks are then joined together without sashing and tied to the backing.  I rarely embellish much on these projects because of time factors and the guys don't appreciate the work of the embellishment.  There will be some machine embroidery incorporated into some of the blocks to enhance the theme of the block.  Each year's projects are heavily personalized and always well received.  They prove to be hard to part with when they are finished.

I will post pictures when they are finished.  Wish me luck.  I envision many sleepless nights in the next couple weeks.  I already know of at least one project for graduation 2012.  Will I learn from this experience and start when these are done?  Probably not!!!  I should because the recipient is a very dear young lady who would appreciate the hand work and definitely deserves some "frillies" in her quilt.  (Her family have been giving me things for her quilt for literally years  LOL)

Good luck to all on the Hussif projects.  I definitely need one for myself just don't know when that will be happening.  If you don't hear from me, know that I am reading your posts and wishing I was participating.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 3:05 PM

Darlene,  So, you are one of those 11th hour people...or maybe 11:45 describes you better, LOL.  Can't wait to see your pictures.  I think I remember you talking about this a few months back. 

No worries on the hussif.  This project is for whoever, whenever.  No start dates or deadlines here.  The next project with a start date in this group is a BOM starting 7/1/11, although there are no hard and fast rules with that one either.   You can just jump in when you feel a CQ urge.  I don't have any challenges planned.

I'm going to do a summer version of New Beginnings starting the first day of summer.  I want to do all the seasons, so I'll be doing this while others are doing the BOM. 

All the other projects are for whoever, whenever.   I wish I could do them all, but I just don't have time to.  I'm posting projects at the top left of the group home page with links so you don't have to sift through everything to find them.

Some folks might want to make the small things for Christmas gifts.  I still have some to post.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 29,295

Linny t:
So, you are one of those 11th hour people...or maybe 11:45 describes you better, LOL

Linny, Most definitely.  A couple years ago we were late to a graduation party so that I could finish the quilt to give to the graduate after I stayed up most of the night.  One year I finished a gift at the soccer game my son played before the graduation party -- mid July with a full size flannel backed quilt on my lap finishing corners by hand.  Not fun but I just don't seem to learn.  I am committed to too many projects at one time.  I really need to be committed to an institution so I stop committing to so many projects at the same time.  Unfortunately, I love to CQ and I can't seem to say no to anyone besides my immediate family (DH and DS hear NO [or so they will tell you] all the time but noone else seems to).  If you asked me to do a project for you, I would probably say "sure!!"  LOL.

The bad thing about it all is that my son is going to be just like me unless the Air Force manages to change his habits he has picked up from his DM.  He already has the tendancy to wait until the eleventh hour to start projects.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 3:19 PM

Linny...

Thinking of monograms...I bought a book the other day..."Embroidered Alphabets with Ribbon Embroidery" by Di Van Niekirk.  She does such beautiful work.  There are several options for fill stitches and a wide assortment of floral embellishments.  The patterns are designed to scan and print to fabric because they include shadowing, but could also be hand traced so the floral parts could be swapped.

I think I will start with an oversized needle case to store my assortment of needles, a threader and small scissors.  Then decide if I need a matching case for additional tools.  I keep everything together in a small flat storage box which travels well in my tote bag.  I have a small flannel needle case that folds up and includes pockets for needle packs, but find it doesn't function well for me.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions...Be Sew Happy...Cathy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 3:46 PM

Cathy, I have that book on my Amazon wish list.  Such luscious embroidery.  Over the top, really.

I played around with my idea last night and even cut out a piece of paper the shape of it.  I put folds in different areas and tried it out with the YLI silk tube.  I think I have a plan worked out for how it's going to fold, .  I'm going to revisit it tonight.  I think it's important to end up with something I like to hold.  You know, not too large, not too small.   

I

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:33 PM

I just had to say that today at lunch I ordered some wool felt from Colonial Needle.  I've already gotten an e-mail from them saying it has shipped.  I'm pleasantly surprized, to say the least.  I'm going to use it for the needlebook in this project.  Wool felt is a little hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,739
gini replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 5:12 PM

i just saw the coolest leaves made from wool. they were embellished. i think the thread embellishment was done, the leaves cut out and them added embellishment.  i'll go look   

here they are keep scrolling down.  these would be cool added to a crazy quilt.  i wonder if anyone has done a wool crazy?    

http://dogdaisychains.blogspot.com/

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005

Hi. My name is Bettie and I found your information on these sewing kits very interesting. I looked at each of the links and said "I'm not that good" but it will be something I will be thinking about. I"ve been trying to convience myself I could make a quilted bag for the summer, but that is also in the thinking stages. Thanks for all the work you put into this post. It's appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 8:27 AM

Hi, Bettie and Welcome to the Crazy Quilt group.  I'll be posting other projects this weekend.  Some of them will be simpler than this one.  Since you are thinking of making a quilted bag, you might try the sew and flip method on a muslin base.  Check out the Blogs section of this group to learn about sew and flip.  There are a couple of crazy quilt tutorials in there.  Be sure to go back to the early ones as there is an excellent machine tutorial back there in.

Linny T

Page 1 of 25 (374 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.