This post has 198 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 11:46 PM

Linny t:
Do you have these already?

I don't have the "applique" serrated edge, but I have two eight inch pair and I have to agree that these are my absolute favorites. I use one pair to cut when I do freezer paper templates and steam a seam and they are wonderful. They don't seem to dull and lose their edge. I need a new pair of pinking sheers. The ones I have are at least 60 years old. They were hand me downs. Gosh, I just had to think about that. I'm getting old. LOL

Linny t:
You'd think she could manage her business while on the road.  It must not be her primary source of income. 

I thought about that. With all of the modern ways to connect to the internet to get those orders, but then I thought, well, maybe she's just not up on all that stuff. I also started daydreaming about how fun it would be to travel to all of the shows and have a little shop set up,  until I realized all of the packing and unpacking and set up involved for a weekend of sales. Didn't seem so glamorous after that. LOL.  Not by myself anyway.

Linny t:

I almost got the bee hive, too.  I hadn't seen stork scissor charms anywhere else, so I got them.  And the spider will fit in with the Halloween trims and  the spider webs. 

Are you planning a Halloween CQ for October? I did like her spiders and trims for Halloween. The czech glass dragonfly buttons are beautiful. I have to wonder about size on some of these buttons though. I suppose it depends on your project as to how large your buttons should be. Do you have any rule of thumb for these?

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,620
Points 118,240
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:58 AM

Stephanie:
I also started daydreaming about how fun it would be to travel to all of the shows and have a little shop set up,  until I realized all of the packing and unpacking and set up involved for a weekend of sales. Didn't seem so glamorous after that. LOL.  Not by myself anyway

A long time ago I was trying to make extra cash just by going to local craft shows selling whatever I could make up in a week.  Mostly it was home dec. things I had made.  It was a BIG PAIN lugging all that stuff around and then being outdoors sometimes just was over the edge miserable.  If I were ever to do it again I would only if I had very small, lightweight items for sale and even then I'd want a good reliable partner.  I think it'd be fun traveling like that as long as you had a good partner.  Also, it would NOT be my primary source of income, because I didn't make much money at it and sometimes none at all.  It was a good thing to do around the holidays when people tend to buy things they don't absolutely need. 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 44,405
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:06 AM

Now we have ebay and etsi. Don't know if I got the second one right.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,620
Points 118,240
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:22 AM

Stephanie:

Are you planning a Halloween CQ for October? I did like her spiders and trims for Halloween. The czech glass dragonfly buttons are beautiful. I have to wonder about size on some of these buttons though. I suppose it depends on your project as to how large your buttons should be. Do you have any rule of thumb for these?

I was thinking it would be fun to do a Halloween block and maybe seeing if others wanted to join in.  Nothing huge, maybe a 12" finished or something like that.  At most a table mat to put under my candy bowl.  There are some really neat vintage greeting card images for halloween.  Just the sort of thing I was looking for to print out on that roll of silk I have.  It'd be fun if a bunch made one and then to have it in the newsletter, if we have one in October.  I haven't heard if someone's taking it over for Liz.  Have you? 

As for buttons, I would think it depends on how you use it.  I would think of it like an arrangement of flowers.  I call it the 1, 3, 5 & 7 rule.  1 bigest, 3 smaller, 5 smaller than that and 7 tiny.  The size of everything else is based on how big the biggest is.  It works with everything, not only flowers.  They don't all have to be buttons, either.  Like in a flower arrangement, greens count, too. 

I was thinking that any of those large glass buttons you saw would make a pretty needle minder.  I wouldn't try to remove the shank, though.  I'd just put magnets on both sides of it.  Wouldn't that be pretty sitting on top of your needlework?

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,620
Points 118,240
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:23 AM

Diane:

I haven't tried to sell on those, have you?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 44,405
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:58 PM

No----I have sold quilts to people I know.   One yo yo quilt was displayed at a textile exhibit a couple of years ago then I sold it for $250.  It too a long time to make--queen size--for a co worker's girlfriend.  Rows of granny squares on point---people loved it!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,620
Points 118,240
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 3:44 PM

Wow!  Have any pictures?  Yo Yo granny squares on point?

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:02 PM

Linny t:
I think it'd be fun traveling like that as long as you had a good partner.  Also, it would NOT be my primary source of income, because I didn't make much money at it and sometimes none at all. 

It would be fun to travel with a partner, and definitely agree, especially in today's times that it couldn't be depended on as a primary source of income.  What a lot of work to go through to walk away empty handed at times.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:05 PM

Diane:

Good point Diane. As well as the whole rest of the internet. LOL, and we don't even have to leave the house. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:32 PM

Linny t:
I was thinking it would be fun to do a Halloween block and maybe seeing if others wanted to join in.  Nothing huge, maybe a 12" finished or something like that.  At most a table mat to put under my candy bowl.  There are some really neat vintage greeting card images for halloween.  Just the sort of thing I was looking for to print out on that roll of silk I have.  It'd be fun if a bunch made one and then to have it in the newsletter, if we have one in October.

I've been dying to make a fall themed something. I have a lot of fall themed fabrics. (They're my favorites), but nothing Halloween.  I do have blacks, white, and  oranges that maybe with some planning could work.  What kind of deadline are we looking at? It would be nice to get back in the spirit of Trick or Treat. We have not had one Trick or Treater for eleven years and I have been forced to eat all of that "just in case" candy by myself.

Linny t:
I haven't heard if someone's taking it over for Liz.  Have you? 
  No, I haven't. I wonder if they'll make an announcement. I'm happy for her, moving up.

Linny t:
As for buttons, I would think it depends on how you use it.  I would think of it like an arrangement of flowers.  I call it the 1, 3, 5 & 7 rule.  1 bigest, 3 smaller, 5 smaller than that and 7 tiny.  The size of everything else is based on how big the biggest is.  It works with everything, not only flowers.  They don't all have to be buttons, either.  Like in a flower arrangement, greens count, too.

Love your take on this Linny. Thanks for the inspiration and I would have never thought of picturing them as a flower arrangemnt, Too cool!

Linny t:

I was thinking that any of those large glass buttons you saw would make a pretty needle minder.  I wouldn't try to remove the shank, though.  I'd just put magnets on both sides of it.  Wouldn't that be pretty sitting on top of your needlework?

Definitely!!! And I'd get to see those pretty glowing dargonflies all the time. I see live ones a lot. They truly are magnificent in iridesence and colors. And the fact that they eat mosquitoes holds them in high regard down here. I'm going to have to check out a needleminder and how they're made. Have you ever made one?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:35 PM

Diane:
One yo yo quilt was displayed at a textile exhibit a couple of years ago then I sold it for $250.  It too a long time to make--queen size--for a co worker's girlfriend.  Rows of granny squares on point---people loved it!

Diane,

Congratulations on the sale and having it displayed! This sounds so cool. Love to see a pic too, if you have one.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 44,405
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:36 PM

I have pictures of my yo yo quilts somewhere.  I was able to work on them at work as long as we weren't busy which was about half the time.  I got the idea from a magazine picture.  If I find them I will try to scan them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 44,405
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:40 PM

Don't forget to watch Dancing With the Stars tonight!  I'm dying to see how Nancy Grace will do.  I'll be stitching and watching!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:44 PM

I don't know if you girls remember talking about the vintage purse frames and making a purse. We had gone on from there and talked about putting them in a shadow box like art. You are not going to believe this, but today I worked at a very ornately decorated house and in the "powder room" was a vintage beaded purse in a very special designer shadow box. I took a picture with my phone, and will download it asap. Hope now that I've blabbed about it, the pic comes out.  Just when you think you have an original idea! LOL, but it does go toward my theory that in an artful setting, even the smallest detailed works can be sold as art.     

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:47 PM

Diane:

I have pictures of my yo yo quilts somewhere.  I was able to work on them at work as long as we weren't busy which was about half the time.  I got the idea from a magazine picture.  If I find them I will try to scan them.

That would be awesome! I hope to still be awake with Dancing for the Stars. It's a great show! My sis and I would chatter every week about it.

Page 5 of 14 (199 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.