CQ Stash Envy!

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t Posted: Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:00 PM

I'm starting this thread as a place to share CQ stash stories, and your favorite stash sources/links.  We're lucky that way, we not only have a fabric stash, but a CQ stash, too.  I don't know about you, but I love to "pet" my cq stash as much as my fabric stash.  Feel free to upload pictures.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260
Darlene replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:06 PM

Linny, my CQ stash is almost bigger than my fabric stash.  I have several friends who give me all their scraps to use for my CQ projects.  I started by telling them that I could use anything bigger than a postage stamp and sometimes they hold me to that.  My CQ stash is sorted by themes and colors.  Each theme has at least one ziploc bag dedicated and the colors are in drawers along one wall of my sewing area.  I do at least one special project each year for graduation.  They are always CQs and these theme bags come in handy when I have a special request.  This year is a big one for graduation.  I have four projects going.  I also have parents giving me things to "stash" away for future graduations.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 5:22 PM

Most of my CQ stash is scraps from making costumes, my wedding, or re-purposed old renaissance faire/historical re-enactment costumes. I recently picked up a book about doing CQ with batiks and I have to admit I'm anxious to try that as well.  I have a bunch of silk ribbon for embroidery but don't really know how to use it - my attempts thus far have been pretty pitiful.  I also have a stash of beads and buttons.  I like to do my hand embroidery with silk floss, of which I also have a nice stash.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:45 PM

Darlene, you are a lady after my own heart.  I love the idea of the graduation pieces.  I'd love to see a picture.  Do you have anything you could post in the media section?

Now, I really wish I could say that I'm that organized with my stash, but I'm not.  It starts out organized, but ends up mixed into whatever box or basket I gather for whatever piece I'm working on now.  Sometimes I have to just stop and put it all away so I know what I've got again, lol.  I do keep my flat silks and real metal materials seperate,though, and my beads and little charms, etc.  I don't mind though, because sometimes I just like to play with my stash.  You know, combine different colors/materials.  Sometimes I'm inspired just by my stash and I'll build something based on it instead of finding a pattern and pulling material for it. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:51 PM

Claudette, I think costuming and couture are fascinating.  I have done some costume work, years ago, with a local theater group.  I have also made a wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses.  Not any more though.  I'm too busy quilting!  A CQ with batiks would be beautiful, I think.  Ah, the feeling of a good batik!  They are so rich they even sound different.  What's the title of the book?

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 9:21 PM

The book I have with the batiks is "Crazy Patchwork" by Alice Wilhoit (2009, ISBN 978-1-57432-979-7).  My favorite part of the book is she has a block for each month, based on the gemstone color and flower for each month.  The book is printed in full color, which is also an added bonus.  I have several different batiks in my stash (I just can't seem to resist them!) so I'm pretty excited. 

I have a baby quilt for my cousin (she's expecting next month) and a rag doll for a friend that I have to do before I can get involved in yet another project, but it might be fun to try these themes as a BOM.  Somehow I am less intimidated by the thought of only doing 1 block a month.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 9:39 PM

I am planning a BOM with a theme for us.  You'll soon start to see posts for it, but it won't actually start for a couple of months.  That way people will have time to gather materials, etc.   

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Fri, Feb 25 2011 8:01 PM

I just have to share this with you.  I recently found a website called Hand Dyed Fibers by Victoria Clayton, Dyer.  I found it through J. Marsha Michler's website.  It's an online store that sells hand died fibers (duh!).  The thing I liked about it the most was the variety and the fact that she has collections that apparently go with embroidery pattern kits she also sells.  I wanted to try her fibers, thiking that if Michler used her fibers they must be good, but there was so much to choose from on this site it was hard to pick something, So I went through the collections.  Some of these were priced better than others.  Maybe because the kit they went along with were older.

I ordered two collections.  One 4 mm silk ribbon set called "Beach Crabs" and a Silk Floss set called "Be Just Sampler".  The ribbon set has 9 different collors of hand died ribbon in 6 yard hanks.  The floss has 9 hanks of 6 strand silk floss.  A couple of these were duplicate colors.  The whole order, including shipping was just over $20.  That is an incredible value when you think that most silk floss and ribbon starts at around $3.00 each at the low end.  Hand died are usually more.  Anyway, when the squishy package arrived, here's what was inside.

The website said that it would take 3 to 5 business days shipping time.  I got it exactly one week after placing my order, so it was true.  I have ordered silk fibers on line from other sites and sometimes have waited a month for 3 to 5 business days to pass, LOL.  There is also a points system that allowed me to take a discount on this, my very first, order.  It was $1.25 credit.  That's something I've never seen before.

I've used the ribbon and it's a good quality.  I haven't tried the floss yet, but I have to tell you that it feels like butter to the touch.  I can't wait to try it out. 

You can get a free trial skein of silk floss from her.  There is a link at the bottom of the Mission Statement box at the top of her home page.  You can also send one to a friend. 

Anyway, the whole experience was a big positive.  I will definately order from her again.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 5:20 PM

Linny

Great review on this site.  Your floss and ribbons are gorgeous.  Thanks for sharing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 27 2011 6:56 PM

You're welcome, Nana.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 3:45 PM

!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 8:32 PM

I ordered some silk floss from the Silkmill about 2 weeks ago and it was in my mailbox this afternoon.  I've wanted to order from this site for awhile, but money has been tight.  They had a moving sale where everything was 30% off, so I ordered.  Here is a picture of how it comes all wrapped up like a little present.

I love it when they package it pretty.  Here's a picture of the flosses.

Look at that sheen.  It feels heavenly, too.  I can't wait to try it.  Silkmill is in the UK and I thought shipping would be terrible, but it was only $3.68.  They shipped the day after I ordered, too.  So far very good customer service.  The large colorful pack is called Country Cottage Garden ($24.50) and the blue/green one is called Blue and Green Should Never Be Seen (11.85).  These are the prices before the discount.  Not as inexpensive as Eterna, but hey, it's still 2011 and I already have this order, lol.  Here's a link to their site.

http://www.thesilkmill.com/

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 9:17 PM

Just beautiful Linny!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny,

The flosses are just radiant. Drool! 

Thanks for the link, will definitely have to check them out.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,117
Points 67,345
Robin replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 6:40 PM

Linny,

Your flosses are beautiful.   Glad you got them.

Robin

Page 1 of 14 (199 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use