My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,529 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,325
lilliepad replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 12:41 PM

Marie:

Lillie, just found this thread again and saw this post concerning chalk paint.  Well I've been antiquing and bought a couple pieces with that paint applied, questioned the owner about it and she gave me this info.  Annie Sloan, I believe she's from England and has a degree in arts, she was the creator of this paint.  Look her up on Google and you'll find some fascinating stuff there about how all this chalk paint came about.  I for one plan on buying and trying my hand with that paint.  It's expensive, $39 a quart but I'm told it goes a long way.  I'm glad I ran across this thread again.

I'm so glad you mentioned the name Annie Sloan. I could not remember what her name was and then I saw it in your post. Yes that's the one. I'll have to google it and see if I can find the thread you are referring to.

Thanks!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:03 PM

lilliepad:

Interesting that you were inquiring about painting furniture.

Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a picture of the paint job she did in her reception area at work. It was an old wooden thing that had been covered in some hideous wood paneling along the front. She painted it using chalk paint, then white washed it to give it some depth. She said it took about 4 hours. I think she used some sort of chalk wax in between each application of paint.  It was a very large area to cover. 

A friend of mine is starting a chalk painting business.She providing chalk painting classes. It's a bit pricey, $100/student. But, that might include all materials. I just don't have all the details yet.

Have a lovely looooong weekend everyone!

Sorry I missed this in the early morning. We were posting about the same time.

Those are exactly the type of finishes I'm asked to do. Washes, glazes, antiquing. distressed. The beauty of them is that they can get bumped, nicked and it seems to just add to it . Funny how times change and we go from high gloss perfect lacquered finishes to something that looks like you got it at a flea market. And these "aged" finishes have appealed to everyone. Best of luck to your friend in her new adventure with the chalk paint and classes. Are you going to play with it?  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:40 PM

Linny, 
it's so good to hear from you.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for Barb to want to go home, and can't . I wish you could retire and take care of her at home too.

I'm looking forward to seeing pic's of your applique and little mouse pincushion project.   

Linny t:
I also will be working on my etui.  I need to make some caps for my pyramids and have a couple of ideas about making them out of metal and wire.  I am undecided about how to finish the inside.  I thought white work would be pretty since it'd look great against the off-white silk, but then I feel like working with color is so much more fun.  Any suggestions would be welcome here.

The whitework does sound so pretty. I wish I could help you decide which way to go. Maybe working a simple sample in each would help?

Happy Saturday to you as well.... 

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:42 PM

Linny and Steph, looks like I'm going to have to go back in this thread a bit to see what's going on with tests and Barb.  Just know I'm praying for you both and whomever Barb is.  (((((HUGS)))))  Don't know why I don't get posts from this thread?

Millbury, MA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:46 PM

Jo1030:
Stephanie, be sure to mix the new food with the old food till Otis's system gets used to it; gradually reducing the old food.

Thanks Jo! That's where I'm going wrong to be sure. I'm sorry to hear Sammy's sick. I hope it's something simple like a hairball. 

The mower belt wasn't too bad, really. I watched a utube video. LOL. And they have a diagram on the deck to follow. Thanks for the compliment. :0) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:55 PM

Marie, 

Welcome Back. 

Marie:
Linny and Steph, looks like I'm going to have to go back in this thread a bit to see what's going on with tests and Barb.  Just know I'm praying for you both and whomever Barb is.  (((((HUGS)))))  Don't know why I don't get posts from this thread?

Barb is Linny's dearest sister. She's been battling cancer and has been hospitalized/ nursing home for the last couple months now. They've given her a time frame. It's very sad..... I hate cancer.

My tests were nothing. Just a couple cardiac tests that came back fine. I'll still take a prayer for me to behave myself. LOL

And how are you my friend? Life treating you well these days?   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 4:00 PM

Steph, thanks for the info, too many posts to go through.  So sad to have a DS battling cancer, my prayers are with Linny and Barb as well as a prayer for you to behave yourself.  LOL  I know you can do it!  Beside not behaving, how are you?  BTW, you know me, I never behave, that's not so bad, right?  The Lord is probably sick of me saying "sorry" to him.  LOL

I am fine and life is treating me well, I thank God for all the blessings he has given me.  There have been a few changes and glitches in my life but I'm getting through them with his help.  

I've been through a dry spell with my quilting but that seems to be coming to an end.  I won a few fat quarters of very pretty flowered fabrics and I'm putting together a top with them.  Will post when it's done.  Pat Sloan, who spent a week answering questions on QCA, really helped me get back into sewing when she suggested 10 minutes a day at it.  First time I sat at my sewing machine to do that, 3 hours later I was done.  LOL. Your post came strait to my desktop so I hope it will continue, I've missed you guys.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,220

Marie:
I've been through a dry spell with my quilting but that seems to be coming to an end.

Marie, so glad you joined us to see what is happening in the Crazy Art Quilt world.  Also glad to hear that your dry spell appears to be ending.

I like the 10 minutes a day theory when I am struggling to create.  Like you, it seems I can't stick to the 10 minutes but the fact that I know that I can walk away after 10 seems to help get the creative juices flowing.

Good luck with your fat quarters.  Can't wait to see what you make with them.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,220

Linny t:
Life has been so challenging for me lately and I'm so looking forward to having an extra day to just be myself.

Linny, you deserve the extra day.  Hope that your plans go just as you would like and that you get to enjoy your day.

Linny t:
I wondered how you gauged how much stuff to make for holiday items. 

This year I have added something to my inventory spreadsheet to allow me to keep track of how much holiday product I sell.  I am hoping that it will help with next year.  I never kept track of exactly what I made and then I just had to wing it year to year.  So when I did my 2014 spreadsheets, I added a completed inventory sheet which I record items on when I make them.  I also record when I sell each item so that I can keep track of inventory on hand.  Some weeks it seems like a lot of work but I think it is going to help.

Linny t:
Is Stedman fixed? 

He was fixed when we got him from the shelter.  Our shelter does not allow any animal to be adopted until it is fixed to reduce the number of strays.  He is laying on the floor beside my chair, giving me a pitiful look like he is discontent but I'm not sure what his problem is tonight.  If his tail were not twitching, I would think he was sleeping peacefully.  His tail is the dead give away.  When he is not happy, the tail never stops.  Rather cute to watch.

Actually, I believe he is unhappy with me because I was outside all day and he was in.  It was a beautiful day this morning so I decided to have a yard sale.  Kyle and I put my tables from market on the front lawn and pulled out the boxes of things from Mom's apt.  Most of it was marked from a sale earlier this year.  Stedman sat in Kyle's bedroom window and whined to me most of the day.  The neighbor's dogs and cat were very curious and spent a considerable amount of time in my lawn.  This only added to his displeasure.  One of the dogs left a deposit under one of my tables

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:12 PM

Thank you Darlene, glad I found you again.  I'll post the top when it's done, I'm excited to be sewing again!  Doing the "happy dance"!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 7:03 PM

4375.mouse pin cushion pic.pdf

This is a link to a pdf of the mouse pin cushion cover page.  I scanned it and I hope the link works.  If it doesn't I'll post a pic of it after I make it.

Here's the applique, not finished yet.  I'm going to do some shading and highlighting with embroidery.  I also have a silver spoon charm I'll be putting on it.

I liked doing it so much I got 2 more of the patterns today.  They were 40% off, too.  I just love it when that happens.  One is tulips and one is crocus'.

Stephanie, that's an excellent idea to do practice embroidery for the etui.  I think that might be the only way I can make up my mind.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 7:08 PM

Marie:

(((((HUGS))))) right back at you, Marie.  I'm so glad you found us again!  Barb is my DS and best friend.  It's been a long road already.  She has brain cancer and is losing the battle.  I hate cancer!  They had it in remission and it came back with a vengeance.  Thanks for the prayers.  We need all we can get. 

Don't be such a stranger!  We love it when you shine your light in here.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 7:18 PM

Darlene your spreadsheet sounds like a perfect way to track inventory and sales.  I know you know this, but excel spreadsheets can be analyzed and even put into pie charts.  All those years of office work finally pays off, lol.

Stedman simply has a lot of personality, it sounds like.  He's the kind that prefers his people wrapped around his paw.  What a character. 

Reading about your beautiful morning makes me yearn for fall and cooler temps.  I still can't believe how fast summer went.  It's all a blur to me.  The last time I paid attention was on the 4th of July, watching fireworks from the hospital.  Where'd it go?

Hope you sold a lot and someone else picked up the deposit under the table...ick!  No wonder Stedman was so discontented.  Everyone else was out there with their people except him. 

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 352
Points 9,570

Linny t:
Here's the applique, not finished yet.

That is sooooooooo beautiful, Linny!!!!  It looks perfect!  I like to do hand sewing; keeps my hands busy while I'm watching TV, that way I am not snacking.

Sammy is better; he must have just had an upset stomach. He is always eating birds, mice, etc outside, so he probably had too many feathers in his stomach.  UGH!

Yes, Linny, that was my son's wife, Sheri, beside him and their daughter Nikki at the end of the table. The good looking young man is Nikki's husband, Nick.  He takes such a good picture and he is so nice!

Gotta get ready for church.    Hugs, Jo

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,325
lilliepad replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:08 AM

Linny, your applique is beautiful. There is so much dimension in the rose. I love it!

Page 213 of 236 (3530 items) «Prev211212213214215Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use