My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,318 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,020
lilliepad replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 8:27 PM

I've always wanted to visit Branson. DH is totally not interested in going. boo hoo and bah humbug!  lol  I might just have to find a senior group that's going and tag along with them.  

Have fun Donna

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,020
lilliepad replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 8:39 PM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
I'm looking forward to retirement.  I pray I'll live that long, lol.  It depends which day you ask me but sometimes I don't even think I'll miss the people, lol....just kidding.  Some days they seem to get on my last nerve.

I know you have to be. It's funny about leaving a job. At first there is a withdrawal from  the routine and the people. But in all the 14 years at Publix I spent, there was only one person I stayed in touch with. My choice, but time has a way of filling the days, and the common interests you share fade away, especially if you move on to something else. My thoughts of retiring are to have a fun job like Hobby Lobby, or an LQS where I can share the joy of people that live to sew and craft as I did in my younger days. Of course some of them won't be young, they'll have been waiting for these days. And that will be fun too....    

Oh ladies! I was so excited when I left my last job. I knew I was going on a new adventure with my DH, my soul mate. This has absolutely been our best adventure yet. We love living here in NoCo.

I have to admit that I was kept abreast of happenings in my old job for about 2 months. Then old friends and I just started to ween ourselves from each other. I rarely speak to any of them now.Some of them still hold a special place in my heart and mind. But, that's only from my side as they have made no attempt to keep in contact and I gave up after numerous attempts. Maybe we were not the friends that I thought we were?

You always think you are irreplaceable, but you're not. They can always train someone to take your place. And generally, that person is less expensive than you were. And if mgmt has to go through a few people to find the keeper, they really don't seem to mind.  It does seem to put the burden on those that are left behind. But again, mgmt doesn't really care about that.  Yes, I am the voice of corporate experience.

It's so wonderful being retired. No stress of the job or dealing with people and petty politics. Just look forward to the good days when you have the time to do what you want to do, when you want to do it. And if it doesn't get done, no one will care. It's all a blessing from God.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Linny t:

Donna C:
Linny, I'm praying for you and Barb, too.  I'm glad you enjoyed reading the posts, and doing your applique.  Can't wait to see it!  And, don't worry about bringing us down.  You need to vent and talk about it with friends.
 Thanks, Donna.  I really appreciate this.

Linny, let me say that I agree with Donna's comments.  You can't keep it in and stay healthy.  Please do not hesitate to post if/when you need to share.  This is such a difficult time for you and you need a safe place to release the stress.  I hope you feel safe here.

Also know that you continue to be on my mind and in my prayers.  This includes Barb and her children.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Stephanie:
Everything went fine

So glad to hear that the tests went well.  I have had this type of cardio tests done and it wasn't horrible.  Some slight pressure a couple times but the tech attributed that to the fact that I was a "hefty woman, well blessed in the bossom"  In other words, I could have shed a few pounds and it would have made her job easier.  I have not been back to that doctor since I have lost some weight so I can't say if that was truly the reason for the discomfort.

Also glad you are getting to take some time off this weekend.  It is important for all of us but when you are self-employed you don't always get to take the time.  As the saying goes, you need to make hay while the sun shines.

How cute that Otis likes to have a bath.  Many years ago, I had a kitten who loved to climb in the shower with me.  That was not fun for me.  I did not find the wet cat against my ankles early in the morning much fun.  Of course, this was during my youth when I was not a morning person and the fact that I was up at the hour I was showering didn't help my disposition.  Now days, I might be better able to appreciate the cat trying to tell me he was going to miss me while I was gone all day.  I was a single woman with two jobs and often was gone 12-14 hours straight.  Going from one job to the other, not stopping home between.  That was why I had a cat, make sure the food and water dish are filled in the morning and the litter box was prepared and I was good to go.

Hope the pug dress comes together well and that Melissa likes it.  I'm sure it will be beautiful.  Have a good holiday!

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Stephanie:
all the 14 years at Publix I spent, there was only one person I stayed in touch with

Stephanie, this made me think back

I worked for the same company for over 20 years and when my job left NY state and moved to PA, I didn't really stay in touch with the people I worked with.  We all said we would, but that didn't happen.  Five years later when the company was bought out by employees and the office moved back to Buffalo, I went back to work for them and some of the people thought it was like a week had gone by and that nothing had changed.  In truth, all of our lives had changed and we had less in common that before.

When I left them to care for my parents in 2011 the entire atmosphere had changed in the company.  Outlooks and company focus were so different.  Family was no longer the first and primary thing for them and that was why I left.  So three years later, I do not see any of the people from my department.  I "keep up" with their lives thru Facebook but we don't get together for lunch or do anything other than send birthday wishes and likes when something catches our attention.  I guess my life is so entirely different from theirs and I can understand.

I have friends who are close geographically, I have three friends from high school who remain close to my heart, and I have my friends here at QCA.  So my life is full and I don't need the people who I only shared work with. 

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Donna C:
I finished the log cabin potholders finally

Donna, sorry to be late chiming in about your potholders, but I like them both.  I think I like the non-traditional log cabin that you didn't keep like fabrics together just a little more.  But, that is my quilting style, I am non-traditional in color placement and design.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 9,400

Stephanie:
It does look like the counting would drive anyone crazy, but there's a trick to it

Those are excellent instructions for counted cross stitch, Donna.  I did some of that years ago, but I never had anyone tell me how to do it, so needless to say there were a lot of mistakes.  

I hope Otis is over his "bathroom" problem, Stephanie. I had a big white long haired cat named Bill that liked the water. He even jumped in a creek behind our house once. I just happened to be looking out the widow and there he went.   Well, we have left Coko out of the computer room to be where Sammy is for the last two nights and they have both survived! (George and I close our bedroom door and pray for the best.)  We have found out that Sammy has been eating Coko's food; I thought Coko was a little pig, every time I turned around her dish was empty, then we saw Sammy eating it.  We don't care because Sammy is a skinny cat, he could use some extra nutrients.  We have fed him Science Diet since we got him and I don't think it lets them get fat.  FYI...their poop doesn't stink when they eat Science Diet. It seems expensive, but it is not, because they don't eat as much because it is not full of things they don't need. The food just does them more good. I only feed dry food, because I had a Vet tell me one time that they didn't need canned food as long as they had water to drink.  I had to put Coko on Purina Kitten Chow till we got to a place that sold Science Diet and her bm smell was horrible; now you don't even smell it if you are sitting right there when she "goes".   I do not work for Science Diet lol.

Here is a picture that the waitress took at "The Surprise Party". I didn't think I would post it, but it came out so good, here it is. That is Paul, my son w/mustache.  Hugs, Jo

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945
Darlene replied on Fri, Aug 29 2014 10:04 AM

Norma Doll:
Darlene, Just a word of advice from someone that has had cats all her life.....try to keep Stedman as an indoor cat. They stay healthier and as Tim said no fleas (hopefully).  I would never have let Sammy out except for the fact he was attacking me all the time and that was the Vets advice.

Jo, thanks for the encouraging words regarding Stedman.  I talked with the shelter he came from and they basically told me that if I were to bring him back, they would put him down rather than try to get him another family.  Their suggestions were to get an animal run in our yard and allow him time out but within confines so that he wouldn't have to protect himself against the other animals.  We had him de-clawed when we got him because of Tim being on blood thinners and he was aggressive to Tim at that time.  With his past life as a stray, he tended to grab Tim's legs and the claws would come out instinctively.  He still does that from time to time and the back claws are there to defend himself.  I didn't like the idea of caging him in the yard and so we have adjusted things to allow him more places to run, perch and hide.

Norma Doll:
BTW.... I love your posts, so don't try to shorten them!  

Thanks.  :)  I have tried journaling to release some of my need to share.  I still get frustrated when I don't feel I have the time to sit down and post.  If I posted daily, maybe I wouldn't be so wordy because I wouldn't feel like I need to catch up and share the past week.  Some days would be more eventful and therefore, more meaty.  Just have the gift of gab.  Hard part is when I type this beautiful post and then it disappears into cyberspace.  Makes me so crazy.

Well, I am being a bum today but I need to get motivated. 

Almost noon and I haven't  gotten dressed yet today.  I horrible night and didn't sleep well.  I am finding Fridays are my day of nothing.  After the market this season, I have no energy to do much on Friday.  Guess things are catching up with me and I must admit that I will be glad when October comes and I don't have the weekly commitment of market on my calendar. 

Spent the morning in the recliner taking care of bookkeeping and bill paying.  Now I am chatting with my crazy quilt friends but I need to get dressed and off to the dungeon.  I have sold almost all of my leftover Halloween crafts and it is only August.  I really went overboard last summer with Halloween and had a bunch of stuff left when November came along. I discovered that I love to do spider webs as the quilting on the table toppers and I had an abundance of web type fabric.  Not sure I will have the knack for the webs this year. Haven't tried them since but everyone has been buying the things I quilted with the webs last year.  I need to create some new stuff for this year but not go too crazy so that I don't have to store it for a year.  That is the tricky balance with seasonal sales.  I really struggle with it. 

Well, hope that everyone is having a Fabulous Friday and has a good holiday weekend.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,035
Points 65,535
Robin replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:26 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I've been enjoying the post that everyone has shared. 

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,020
lilliepad replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:03 AM

Donna C:

Regarding your work on walls, ceilings, and furniture:  Do you ever paint murals on walls?  I had a friend who had a business of interior decorating, and she excelled at murals.   I helped her hem table cloths one time and paint one mural in her own house, but usually I just admired her work!

Donna C.

Interesting that you were inquiring about painting furniture.

Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a picture of the paint job she did in her reception area at work. It was an old wooden thing that had been covered in some hideous wood paneling along the front. She painted it using chalk paint, then white washed it to give it some depth. She said it took about 4 hours. I think she used some sort of chalk wax in between each application of paint.  It was a very large area to cover. 

A friend of mine is starting a chalk painting business.She providing chalk painting classes. It's a bit pricey, $100/student. But, that might include all materials. I just don't have all the details yet.

Have a lovely looooong weekend everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:14 AM

Good morning everyone,

Darlene and Jo, I enjoyed reading your Kitty stories about them loving the water as well. Interesting Jo, about the Science diet. I may have to see if I can get Otis to eat that. He's so persnickety about his food. And Jo, I loved the picture of your family at the surprise party. Looks like everyone had such a great time. Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Robin,

Good to hear from you. I've missed your posts. Hope you have a great holiday too.

Lillie, 

I am thrilled for you that you are enjoying your retirement. That's the way it should be. 

Darlene, 

You deserve those days in your jammies in the recliner. You have really had the pedal to the metal this season with the markets. That's crazy fun that you've sold almost all your Halloween crafts so early. I heard on tv that Halloween is the second most decorated holiday, next to Christmas of course. I can imagine it is a tricky balance trying to know how much to make so you don't have to carry it over for next year. And when do you start quilting for Christmas? I saw the cutest tree skirt that was made with large dresden templates. Looked so easy. She backed it with a felt circle, so no turning of all those points even. You make me feel so inspired.

Linny,

Still sending prayers your way.....

All,

I did get the first results back and they were fine. Yay, I thought they would be. He still wants me to go for the stress test. I'm sure that one will be fine too. Still, I'm not going to get over confident about it. There are a lot of changes I need to make to "stay" healthy. Outside of the normal bad habits, I need to learn how to relax, and not pressure myself so much. I haven't had nearly enough quilt therapy lately. LOL

We had such a great time with the kids last night. We played a card game called Hand and Foot. It takes several hours, and we taught Melissa's dad to play too. It was great fun, and we need to get together and do it more often. It's nice to wake up with smiles over those memories instead of thinking of work.  

My Dh has upgraded to a smart phone. He's so cute in learning how to use it. It's a lot to take on when you're used to a basic phone. I also got him a blue tooth headset, which he loves, but has already "lost" it. Keeping track of things isn't one of his strong points, but he has so much to do, and so many places to be in a day, I can understand it. At least without it he can still "talk" to dial and text instead of having to look up numbers and dial while he's driving. He loves that.  

I spent part of yesterday replacing the belt on the deck of the riding mower. I think one of the things that will make me happiest in life is when I get to the point I can hire someone to do some of these repairs, and not have them be a part of my chores. Not that this was a difficult thing to do, it was just HOT outside to be doing it, and I don't know when to quit. Looking forward to some cooler temps, and less rain.  

That's about it for my neck of the woods...  

Have a great day everyone....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 1,840
Jo1030 replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 7:46 AM

Stephanie:
He's so persnickety about his food.

Stephanie, be sure to mix the new food with the old food till Otis's system gets used to it; gradually reducing the old food.    Last night George said, "Sammy's sick". Sure enough he didn't want to come out from under the recliner this morning. I told George "kids and animals always seem to get sick on the weekends when doctors aren't in."  I don't know how he knows when they are sick since he never had pets till he married me.  Sammy is his baby tho'.  

I am amazed that you can replace the belt on the mower, Stephanie!!  That sounds like a hard job to me.

I didn't even think about it being a long weekend; once your retired, one day is pretty much the same as the next.    Hugs, Jo

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,211
Points 111,880
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 8:01 AM

I've gotten so far behind in posting, so I'm going to do one to all of you.  I always read your posts in my email.  Life has been so challenging for me lately and I'm so looking forward to having an extra day to just be myself.

Robin, so glad to see a post from you.  Glad to see you've survived the first days back to work.  Hope you get some time to post about it.  I'm sending up prayers for extra energy and time for you.  Hope all is well.

Stephanie, is there no end to your talents?  Lawn mower belts, too.  You are the most mechanically inclined women I know.  I'm glad your tests came back fine.  I hear you about the life changes.  It's a struggle.  I used to think I dieted to look better.  Now I diet to not end up on pills and sick.  It never occurred to me that all my young life dieting was just for practice, lol.  It's a lot harder now to stay on track.  I've managed to loose at least 10 lbs. if not more, judging from how much better my pants fit.  I don't have a scale any more since Audra moved out.  I'll say to you all in honesty that I never got on the thing when it was here...it was too depressing, lol.  I feel a lot better for losing the weight and I can mow my yard without panting and gasping half way through it.  I'm happy for you having the long weekend off.  Yay for Mike letting that happen.  Funny about the new smart phone for Mike and losing the blue tooth part.  I like that feature of talk to text.  I bet it's a relief for you knowing that he's not driving and looking at the thing.

Jo, your picture tells you were all so happy to be together.  Your son is very handsome.  Is that his wife next to him?  Looks like a great memory for all of you to be together like that.

Darlene, thanks for the prayers.  I pray for you, too.  I'm with Stephanie that you earn those PJ Fridays.  Can you believe that it's already September on Monday?  Seems like this summer has gone so fast.  I wondered how you gauged how much stuff to make for holiday items.  How can anyone predict what will sell?  I'm glad you got the things you made last year sold.  All these things you struggle with are all signs that your business is very healthy.  You shouldn't feel guilty about taking some time for yourself.  Is Stedman fixed?  I'm sorry if you already answered this question.  If you did I either forgot or missed it.  My boy cat calmed down so much after he was fixed that I wished I'd done it at the beginning.  It took about 6 months, but he even stopped trying to get out the door every time it opened.

Diane, how is the bedroom project going?

Donna, wishing you well.  Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend.

Lillie, I've always been amazed at how close I think I am to work friends when they or I move on to another job.  Of all the people I've friended at work, there's only one that I have any relationship with at all and that's just on FB once or twice a year.  I am happy you are enjoying your retirement, too.  I can't wait for the day I retire.  Most days I think to myself, "well, it's only 7 years at the most.  Less if I'm lucky."  Then I devote mental energy to find ideas that will make it less, lol.  I have had jobs I loved over the years, but I can't say that for the one I have now.  I'm grateful for it, but I do not love it.

Barb is still holding her own.  Some days better than others.  Yesterday she was remembering she had a home and wanted to go there badly.  She told me she was ready to check out of that place.  I asked her where she'd go and she said home, of course.  I told her she couldn't live by herself anymore and it made her mad.  She was so agitated they gave her a sedative.  She has lucid moments and they are painful for her.  I think she was like that yesterday because she had a Dr. appt.  I met her there and we had time to take a little walk outside while we were waiting for the transport people to pick her up.  I think it reminded her of normal life.  I wish I was retired.  I'd take care of her at home. 

I hope you all enjoy the holiday weekend and have time to make something pretty...or eat something pretty...or both, lol.  This is supposed to be the last hoorah for picnics and cookouts.  I'm not having any of that, but I hope someone does so I can read about it.  I do intend on making something pretty, though.  I still have to post a pic of my applique.  I'll do that later today, I'm thinking.  I am stopping at the quilt shop near where Barb is.  I ordered a cute pattern for a pin cushion.  It's a whimsical little mouse.  I'll post a pic of that, too.  Guess I'd better charge my camera.  I actually know where it is and have the cord and everything, for a change, lol.  This one thing really amazes me.  My mind is so occupied with everything I'm amazed when I know where anything is.  I also will be working on my etui.  I need to make some caps for my pyramids and have a couple of ideas about making them out of metal and wire.  I am undecided about how to finish the inside.  I thought white work would be pretty since it'd look great against the off-white silk, but then I feel like working with color is so much more fun.  Any suggestions would be welcome here.

Happy Saturday, all!

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,443
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 9:21 AM

lilliepad:
Yesterday a friend of mine showed me a picture of the paint job she did in her reception area at work. It was an old wooden thing that had been covered in some hideous wood paneling along the front. She painted it using chalk paint, then white washed it to give it some depth. She said it took about 4 hours. I think she used some sort of chalk wax in between each application of paint.  It was a very large area to cover. 

Lillie, just found this thread again and saw this post concerning chalk paint.  Well I've been antiquing and bought a couple pieces with that paint applied, questioned the owner about it and she gave me this info.  Annie Sloan, I believe she's from England and has a degree in arts, she was the creator of this paint.  Look her up on Google and you'll find some fascinating stuff there about how all this chalk paint came about.  I for one plan on buying and trying my hand with that paint.  It's expensive, $39 a quart but I'm told it goes a long way.  I'm glad I ran across this thread again.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 9,400

Marie:
I'm glad I ran across this thread again

Welcome to our family, Marie!  I don't believe I have seen you on here before. This is a great group of ladies.  Hugs, Jo

Page 212 of 222 (3319 items) «Prev210211212213214Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use