rated by 0 users
This post has 3,573 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,810
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 10:52 AM

Donna C:
Linny, I'm praying for you and Barb, too.  I'm glad you enjoyed reading the posts, and doing your applique.  Can't wait to see it!  And, don't worry about bringing us down.  You need to vent and talk about it with friends.
 Thanks, Donna.  I really appreciate this.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,635
Donna C replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:52 PM

Diane:

Donna----I think your cat is trying to send a sign that she doesn't like those people working in your house.  Also, she is trying to tell your step son something.  Cats and iguanas are sometimes alike.  Toni was telling me that she's the boss.  As Stephanie said----they are stinkers!!

I totally agree, Diane, they are stinkers!  Nabia is probably trying to tell us she doesn't like any change to her routine.  The peeing on any little cloth item on the bedroom floor is really mystifying since she does that when all is normal.  Since she does this peeing "routinely" when anything's on the floor there, she has trained us to pick things up.  Unfortunately she's never peed on DH's dirty socks on the floor!  :-)

Donna C.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,635
Donna C replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:08 PM

Linny t:

Donna C:
When I think of foot pain, I think of when I was teaching. Yesterday was the first day of school here, and my first time not teaching in the Fall semester.  DH was kidding me when I got up yesterday saying "Oh, no....you're late for the first  day of school!"
 Did you feel at a loss for not being there?  After teaching for so long it must have felt odd for you.  I can hardly wait until I retire.  I am so over working for a living I can hardly stand it.  People say that I'll be bored, but I tell them I have so much on my bucket list that boredom won't come any time soon, lol.

I do miss some aspects of teaching, like seeing the students make real progress and positive interactions with them, like hugs and kisses.  I also miss the daily interaction with other teachers.  I don't get to see my favorite teacher friends often enough!  I don't miss anything else!  It's great being retired and to have the freedom to do what we want to do, whatever that is.  Like you, I have lots of things on my bucket list.  I just hope and pray our health stays good enough to do most of them!

We're going to Branson, MO, Sept. 6-13, driving from Houston, and have 2 shows reserved already:  Dublin's Irish Tenors and Celtic Ladies for that Tue. and Billy Dean Live for that Wed.  There's a lot to do at our resort, too, which has a lake and pools.  DH is going golfing one day, so I'll just hang out at the pool probably, and read a good book!  On the way there I want to stop in Fayetteville, AK to see a cousin there.  Thank goodness Branson is no where near Ferguson, MO!  Anyone have any other suggestions of things to do or see there?

Donna C.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,635
Donna C replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:21 PM

Stephanie:
I worked for a customer recently that did cross stitch. It's just amazing to me that such beautiful works of art can be done with x's. We had pixels before computers did. LOL. I admire anyone that can do it. My mind was always so all over the place I couldn't stick with the count. Probably should have started with one that had the x's marked first. 

It does look like the counting would drive anyone crazy, but there's a trick to it.  You mark the pattern like a graph, making a vertical line every 10 stitches.  Some patterns come already marked.  Also the center of the pattern is usually marked, too.  So, you fold your counted cross stitch cloth so to get the very center of it, and mark that.  That gives you a place to start from.  I usually count up and to the left of there, to the top of the center figure.  Starting on the left of the top row you work the stitches.  Then following rows are worked in relation to that first row, which means you really don't have to count very much.

Regarding your work on walls, ceilings, and furniture:  Do you ever paint murals on walls?  I had a friend who had a business of interior decorating, and she excelled at murals.   I helped her hem table cloths one time and paint one mural in her own house, but usually I just admired her work!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:40 AM

Donna C:

It does look like the counting would drive anyone crazy, but there's a trick to it.  You mark the pattern like a graph, making a vertical line every 10 stitches.  Some patterns come already marked.  Also the center of the pattern is usually marked, too.  So, you fold your counted cross stitch cloth so to get the very center of it, and mark that.  That gives you a place to start from.  I usually count up and to the left of there, to the top of the center figure.  Starting on the left of the top row you work the stitches.  Then following rows are worked in relation to that first row, which means you really don't have to count very much.

If I'd have had someone like you to teach me the basics of this I would have really loved it. Thank you for taking the time to give me the tips. One thing my customer did show me is the different fabrics and how certain ones allow for easier counting. I'd probably have to use them now, as my vision is waning. Thanks again

Donna C:
Regarding your work on walls, ceilings, and furniture:  Do you ever paint murals on walls?  I had a friend who had a business of interior decorating, and she excelled at murals.   I helped her hem table cloths one time and paint one mural in her own house, but usually I just admired her work!

I admire muralists so much. I've done a few nurseries. Bugs, Pooh, and a big tree with teddy bears in the branches.  I was always insecure about it , and talked myself right out of taking on large spaces. Part of the reason is that people wanted a picture done of what you're going to do on the wall, and I really didn't have time for that. My DH would expect me to do things like that in my "off' time. I realized quickly that it  wasn't going to work out.  I needed my off time to do book keeping and house work. 

Besides, my Dh needed me more on the "job" than artsy stuff, so the basic faux textures, and staining, wood graining techniques took over. I still did samples in my off time, but it took a lot less time to do a technique sample than a sample painting for a mural.  Did you have fun helping with the mural? Do you paint in addition to your other talents?      

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:40 AM

Donna C:

If I'd have had someone like you to teach me the basics of this I would have really loved it. Thank you for taking the time to give me the tips. One thing my customer did show me is the different fabrics and how certain ones allow for easier counting. I'd probably have to use them now, as my vision is waning. Thanks again

Donna C:

I admire muralists so much. I've done a few nurseries. Bugs, Pooh, and a big tree with teddy bears in the branches.  I was always insecure about it , and talked myself right out of taking on large spaces. Part of the reason is that people wanted a picture done of what you're going to do on the wall, and I really didn't have time for that. My DH would expect me to do things like that in my "off' time. I realized quickly that it  wasn't going to work out.  I needed my off time to do book keeping and house work. 

Besides, my Dh needed me more on the "job" than artsy stuff, so the basic faux textures, and staining, wood graining techniques took over. I still did samples in my off time, but it took a lot less time to do a technique sample than a sample painting for a mural.  Did you have fun helping with the mural? Do you paint in addition to your other talents?      

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:43 AM

Donna C:
We're going to Branson, MO, Sept. 6-13, driving from Houston, and have 2 shows reserved already:  Dublin's Irish Tenors and Celtic Ladies for that Tue. and Billy Dean Live for that Wed.  There's a lot to do at our resort, too, which has a lake and pools.  DH is going golfing one day, so I'll just hang out at the pool probably, and read a good book!  On the way there I want to stop in Fayetteville, AK to see a cousin there.  Thank goodness Branson is no where near Ferguson, MO!  Anyone have any other suggestions of things to do or see there?

Sounds like a lot of fun. I've never been to MO, so I don't have any suggestions for sites. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 3:13 AM

Well todays the big day for two of the heart tests. I have to fast for six hours so I'm up early so I can eat a big breakfast. I'll have to leave around noon. I'm not sure exactly where the place is so I'm leaving a bit early. I'm happy for the afternoon appointment so I can eat something. They're supposed to take about three hours. I had to schedule the stress test for a later date in September. For some reason the girl setting my appointment thought two of the requested tests were the same. I'm ok with that. I still think they're going to find my heart is perfectly fine, and it will be a waste of time and money. But, just in case, better safe than sorry.

My Dh told me yesterday that we are taking the long weekend off. Yay! We've been working in a condo building that doesn't allow workers in on holidays. I can't wait. My son's future father in law is coming into town tomorrow, so we'll be visiting with him this weekend as well. He's a nice man. Easy going, happy go lucky, so it will be fun. I want to finish the pug dress and take it with me for Melissa. Keeping my fingers crossed the embroidery machine does it's trick and it all works out. 

Hope you all have a great day today..... 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,146
Points 42,755
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 12:17 PM

Donna C:
I totally agree, Diane, they are stinkers!  Nabia is probably trying to tell us she doesn't like any change to her routine.  The peeing on any little cloth item on the bedroom floor is really mystifying since she does that when all is normal.  Since she does this peeing "routinely" when anything's on the floor there, she has trained us to pick things up.  Unfortunately she's never peed on DH's dirty socks on the floor!  :-)

Donna, I don't know what to say about these animals.  They make you rack your brain on how to correct them.  I have a friend who uses cloth in her cat box because the cat likes it better --than the rug.  It took her months to figure it out.  Now what I do with Toni..  I keep her in the tank at night and while I'm home she can sit on her perch.  I have been able to stop her from roaming around.  She knows I'm the alpha female at this point.  Finally I have figured this out.  Good luck!

Linny---I don't think I told you how much I love the beaded Guido you did on my beautiful block.  I will always have a lovely memory of him when I see it.  He is such a great pet!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,810
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:43 PM

Stephanie:
Well todays the big day for two of the heart tests.
 Hope it all went well, Stephanie.  I hate the fasting part.  Too bad they screwed up the date on the stress tests, but everything happens for a reason.

Stephanie:
My Dh told me yesterday that we are taking the long weekend off. Yay!
 Yay! is right!.  It's been like forever since you all took a holiday.  The FIL to be sounds like a fun guy.  I hope you don't forget to take a pic if that pug dress before you give it to Melissa.  We just have to see it.  Hope the embroidery went without a hitch.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,810
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:45 PM

Diane:
Linny---I don't think I told you how much I love the beaded Guido you did on my beautiful block.  I will always have a lovely memory of him when I see it.  He is such a great pet!
 It makes me thrilled that you love it, Diane.  Not everyone has a CQ block with a beaded dragon on it, much less to resemble your dear pet.  It's special from me to you.  It was a blast to stitch.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,810
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 2:50 PM

Donna C:

Linny t:

Donna C:
When I think of foot pain, I think of when I was teaching. Yesterday was the first day of school here, and my first time not teaching in the Fall semester.  DH was kidding me when I got up yesterday saying "Oh, no....you're late for the first  day of school!"
 Did you feel at a loss for not being there?  After teaching for so long it must have felt odd for you.  I can hardly wait until I retire.  I am so over working for a living I can hardly stand it.  People say that I'll be bored, but I tell them I have so much on my bucket list that boredom won't come any time soon, lol.

I do miss some aspects of teaching, like seeing the students make real progress and positive interactions with them, like hugs and kisses.  I also miss the daily interaction with other teachers.  I don't get to see my favorite teacher friends often enough!  I don't miss anything else!  It's great being retired and to have the freedom to do what we want to do, whatever that is.  Like you, I have lots of things on my bucket list.  I just hope and pray our health stays good enough to do most of them!

Donna C.

I hope you have a blast on your vacation to Branson.  I'm sure if you looked on the internet you'd find at least one quilt shop, lol.  That's how my mind works, see.  If there aren't quilt shops I think of going somewhere else, lol.  The shows sound like fun.  I've never been to either of these areas, so I'm not much help.

You miss the people and not the job, sounds like.  I'm looking forward to retirement.  I pray I'll live that long, lol.  It depends which day you ask me but sometimes I don't even think I'll miss the people, lol....just kidding.  Some days they seem to get on my last nerve.  I hope you complete everything on your bucket list and more.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 4:28 PM

Linny t:
 Hope it all went well, Stephanie.  I hate the fasting part.  Too bad they screwed up the date on the stress tests, but everything happens for a reason.

Everything went fine. If any of you ever have to have these tests, it's like having a sonogram when you're pregnant. They just smooge gel on you and slide a camera tool around your heart and take pic's. Easy peasy. There was a cardiologist in another room reading the images, and I could know the results as soon as tomorrow or Monday. Being a holiday weekend, I'm expecting a bit later. 

Linny t:
It's been like forever since you all took a holiday.  The FIL to be sounds like a fun guy.  I hope you don't forget to take a pic if that pug dress before you give it to Melissa.  We just have to see it.  Hope the embroidery went without a hitch.

It does seem like quite a while. Looking forward to it. I didn't get as far as the embroidery today. Otis (cat) is having some issues again with his potty problems and had to have another bath. Bless his heart, twice in a week. His long hair and tail catches everything. At least he likes the water, and takes baths easily .  After that I had a nap. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 4:32 PM

Linny t:
 Not everyone has a CQ block with a beaded dragon on it, much less to resemble your dear pet.  It's special from me to you.  It was a blast to stitch.  

I was in awe when I saw this in person. Honestly! When I saw it in her journal and compared it to the picture of Guido you had searched for I couldn't believe the detail. It was truly amazing and such a special gift. You are so talented to be able to transform his photo into a beaded work of art. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 28 2014 4:41 PM

Linny t:
I'm looking forward to retirement.  I pray I'll live that long, lol.  It depends which day you ask me but sometimes I don't even think I'll miss the people, lol....just kidding.  Some days they seem to get on my last nerve.

I know you have to be. It's funny about leaving a job. At first there is a withdrawal from  the routine and the people. But in all the 14 years at Publix I spent, there was only one person I stayed in touch with. My choice, but time has a way of filling the days, and the common interests you share fade away, especially if you move on to something else. My thoughts of retiring are to have a fun job like Hobby Lobby, or an LQS where I can share the joy of people that live to sew and craft as I did in my younger days. Of course some of them won't be young, they'll have been waiting for these days. And that will be fun too....    

Page 211 of 239 (3574 items) «Prev209210211212213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use