This post has 4,347 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:09 PM

Stephanie:

Donna C:
Speaking of cats, I think my next project is to make a "Cat Snuggles" (a crocheted cat mat in the round).  It will use up a lot of my ends and pieces of yarns.  My cats already have a lot of cat beds in the round (we call them "pizza plates"), so I may donate this one to a shelter.  I found a couple of good free patterns on Ravelry.com.

This sounds so cute. I've never heard of Ravelry. com. I'll have to check it out... One of my SIL's sent us a crocheted dishcloth. It's so pretty I haven't had the heart to use it. I'm kind of sentimental that way. Hard to believe you've just had your machine a year and it's in for repairs. I hope it will all be covered under warranty and the shop doesn't give you the run around, How much longer do they intend to keep it?  

I've made 3 cat snuggles this week, and have cut down my stash quite a bit.  :-)

I got my machine back this last Saturay!  Yay!  They had it about 3 weeks!  The bobbin case needed to be repaired and the upper and lower tensions regulated.  It wasn't too expensive...approx $43 with tax.  They just don't make 'em like they used to.  I've been noticing online the popularity of using vintage machines.  Now I know why!

Once you use a cotton knitted or crocheted dishcloth or washcloth you'll never want anything else.  They're very durable, so don't be afraid to use one.  Depending on the yarn and/or color, however, the color may fade over time.

Have a great week!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:15 PM

Stephanie:
I have a couple "wedding" related projects to do for the "kids" The first is a hoot. Bride to be's pug is going to be a part of the wedding, and they've bought a dress for her. It needs a little alteration, and she wants the words "I do too" embroidered on it.  It's adorable. And I have a treasure style box for wedding gift cards that she wants a saying lettered inside of. So I need to design a stencil for that. Cutting out the letters will take the most  time, but I love stuff like that. She'll be able to use it in her house for a decor piece down the road. I also need to find pic's of Paul from 1 year old to 15. They're going to put one on each of the 15 tables. She'll fashion them so the pictures of her will be beside pic's of Paul at each age. Too cute.  

Well, it sounds like you're a busy lady with all the wedding projects as well as your business.  I'm glad you really enjoy that stuff. You are so talented!  Be sure to post some pictures of the finished projects, and of that pug!  Lol.

Donna C.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:28 PM

Norma Doll:
The other night Sammy was eating and growling the whole time he was eating. The vet gave me 2 samples of Feliway wipes to use. You don't put it on the cat, you put it where he usually lays. It has pheromones in it that is suppose to calm them.  You wipe it and leave 30 min. and then let the cat in.  It may have helped a little.  I found it on ebay and ordered a plug-in with it and a spray.  The vet said they wipe the table with it when they know they have an animal coming that is really frightened, or you can use it on the carrier.

Thank you so much for passing on that info about the Feliway wipes.  My 16 year old cat, Nabia, may need something like that.  The big 3 year old Newman, who still acts like a kitten, thinks she exists just for him to jump on and chase.  That makes her a nervous wreck.  She hisses at him, swats him with her clawless paws, and runs, either jumping up on something to get away, or running under our bed.  Thankfully for her, Newman likes to spend a lot of time outside, whereas she's inside mostly.  He's also beginning to sleep more, so that may help.

Good news, though, Nabia's eating much, much better now, and has gained half a pound...now up to 6 lbs.  That's nothing compared to Newman's 15, but at least she's beginning to gain again.

Norma Doll:
Mamag, I love your little sock puppets.

I'm glad you liked the sock puppets.  My daughter posted a video on Facebook of Cedric wearing a couple of them, and staring intently at his wiggling feet!  They're good focal points for him.

BTW, I think there is some confusion.  Mamag is also called Donna, but I'm not Mamag...I'm just Donna C.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:38 PM

Diane:
Donna C----My kitty Angie is 17.  She is tubby.  She has long fur which I have to shave at the vet every 4 months.  Last time they did bloodwork and the vet said her sugar is up slightly.  Her weight does go up and down and sometimes she drinks and drinks like she has high sugar that day.I really don't want to start her on insulin.  She is about 95 yrs old in human time.  Don't know but I would probably start her if necessary.  The vet told me I could buy some testing strips at the drugstore to check her acetone level which would tell me something if it's elevated.  You just put the test strip in the fresh urine in the litter box.  I asked the vet for a couple of strips and she told me nicely that I could buy them at CVS.  I had just paid her $150 for services too.  Oh well.

It sounds like our cat problems are similar.  Nabia's about 112 in human years.  Her eyesight is good, it seems.  She does seem to drink a lot of water some days, but the blood work didn't show any sugar problems, just a little bit of kidney problem starting.  After 3 months of the kidney prescription food she stopped eating it, so the vet said to just let her eat whatever she wants now.  

You're right about the cost.  It's astronomical.  And, it's true the vets don't give away anything!  

It really sounds like you love quilting, and I know your work is beautiful, however plain it may be.  Be sure to post pics of your wall hangings!

Donna C.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 11 2014 8:56 PM

We've been busy this week getting my stepson, Ross, a car.  He's had a couple of traffic tickets and accidents this year, and finally this one totaled the car, but just barely.  So, with the money the insurance gave him, and quite a bit from his educational fund, he got a new Kia Forte.  He chose to use the money from his fund, which doesn't leave him with much to pay for the rest of his schooling...maybe 1 or 2 years if he goes to a community college, but that was his choice.  He turns 21 next month, and we are both hoping he will mature quickly.  I could go on and on about all we've had to deal with since he graduated from high school around 2 years ago, but I won't.  Suffice it to say he's gone to a community college off and on for the past 2 years or so, and still hasn't enough credits to be a sophomore.  He tends to either drop courses or fail them, and usually doesn't tell us, lying to us and wasting money.  He's lived with us a couple of times for 3 to 6 months at a time, then with his older half sister and her family for awhile, and now he's back with his mom.  He has been working pizza delivery, but doesn't use his money wisely, has a bad banking record and credit card record, and does a lot of other foolish things.  The good thing is that now it looks like he may be working full time with UPS or Krogers, and wants to save up to go back to school.  (Ha!  We've heard that before, so we'll see.)  We've told him he's lost our confidence regarding school, so now he has to go on his own.  If he gets good grades, we'll reimburse him until his fund runs out.  He now has to pay for his car insurance, which is not at all cheap for a guy with his driving record and being under 25.  We'll see how that goes, too.  When you talk to him about all this he humbly admits he has screwed up, and he's sorry, but doesn't seem to change.  I've known him since he was 7, and he was such a sweet, really smart child.  He lived with his mother most of his life, since she and my husband divorced when Ross was still a baby.  She definitely has a lot of emotional problems, though, and has tended to take it out on him through being over-controlling and with verbal abuse, especially as he became an adolescent.  He only spent weekends with us every other weekend, but my DH has always been an attentive father, and involved in all of his interests, going to all of his games, whether it be little league, hockey, or football.  He's an "adult" now, though, and whatever problems he's developed, he's the ultimate one responsible, and he knows that.

Several years ago, when I had just met my husband, we had similar problems with my son, Peter, when he was that age, but at least he kept a B average in college and got through his junior year before his "screw ups" cost him all of the rest of his educational fund.  He's never gone back to college, though, which saddens me.  He's happy being a waiter at a very high class gourmet restaurant here in the city even though he's almost 32 and married.  His wife is the one with the online business of making spindles for people who like to spin their own yarn from raw fibers like angora wool.  I worry about him because he can't afford health insurance.  Our state governor, Perry, wouldn't accept federal funds to help with Obamacare, so low income people like them can't afford it.  It's cheaper paying for the penalty for not having it than for having it.  So far they've been very lucky not having very serious problems, but they're not getting any younger...and on top of that both of them smoke!  Today I had lunch with my son, and when he said he was thinking about changing jobs, I tried to encourage him to get a some kind of job with health benefits, but he was not to be persuaded.  He really loves the food and restaurant business.   Oh, well.

Anyway, it's good to be back online and read your posts.

Darlene, it's good to see you're back and have had a really good week of sales from that new venue, too.  I liked hearing about getting up on that Thursday when you really didn't feel like it, and putting on a summery skirt that boosted your spirits.  That a girl!  It also sounded wonderful to have such a great friend to quilt and eat with.  Your quilting group at church sounds like a lot of fun, too.

Linny, my heart really goes out to you and Barb.  Words just don't suffice.  Thanks for keeping us posted about her.  You're such a great sister.  I'm glad you find pleasure and comfort working on your etui.  I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product!  Also, I'm sure all those chores you had to do were like good therapy for you, too.  Just keep taking care of yourself.  I remember when my DH had cancer, and was going through surgery and then a long recovery period several years ago.  Sometimes it was nice for a friend to come and stay with him, which I went out and did something for myself like getting a manicure and pedicure.  That was a life saver for me.

Diane, I'm so glad to hear those missionaries could help you rearrange your bedroom.  Thank God there are people out there doing His work, and that your church was able to organize itself in order to tend to their needs, too.

Keep your spirits up.  Have a good week, everyone!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,157
Points 68,565
Robin replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 3:43 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your Monday was great!

Mine was a little crazy.   I'm still trying to find a place in the room for everything and the list seems endless.  I can't seem to get my ducks marching to the beat of my drum hopefully I'll get things straighter today.

Today we start with a faculty meeting and then hopefully will be able to work in the rooms the rest of the day.  

Lilli, I hope everything with the left side is going ok.  Hang it there.

Donna,  You are so right about kids being so busy.  I always wonder how they will manage themselves when they are adults.

Linny,  Poor Laurie is right.   The lady, who is the principal text her last night to let her know that the assistant principal who had the stomach surgery and runs the school was on her way back the hospital for dehydration.  When the assistant is not there or the principal (who is charge of another school in the county) is not around, Laurie has to assume the role.  Since this is her first year and she never even been a teacher you might guess that this is somewhat of a challenge. 

Well I got to run.  I want to get in early and find some bottom to my hole before the students who are helping me come in.

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 139
Points 3,530
Jo1030 replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 10:00 AM

Donna C, you are right, I thought Mammag and you were the same person.   Anyway, time for some grandbaby pics; they grow so fast.

I had a nice post typed up yesterday, but it didn't post, so will try again.

Darlene, so good to hear from you. I am glad things are going good for you.Your trip to have your machine repaired with your friend sounds like fun.

Robin, I hope things come together for you at school. Poor Laurie having all that dumped on her the first year teaching. I hope she does good. If she can do this, she should be good for anything.  Is this the same school you are at?

Linny, hope you are taking care of yourself.. What is Barbs age?

Lillie, thoughts are with you.

Stephanie can't wait to see the pug pics.

Diane, it was so nice the missionaries came to help you arrange your bedroom.

Sammy is still being mean....I have come to the conclusion that he is just a mean cat and there is nothing going to change it.  We will see what happens when winter comes and it is 15-20 degrees out.  Coko is in to everything and on everything. She jumped on the stove last night when I was cooking, she landed between two pans. I grabbed her real quick, so I don't think she got burned. My stove is a glass top, so you can't tell when the burners are on.  I hope it taught her a lesson.    I finished my cat quilt top and backing, it is ready to take to the lady to quilt.   I had thought it would be for us, but I think I will give it to my oldest son and his wife.  I think she would appreciate it.  I ordered another "cat panel " to make another one since I have so much cat fabric left.        Hugs.  Jo

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 6,200
lilliepad replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:26 PM

Darlene,

Golly that's horrible that he has not given your laptop back to you. Working or not working, it's yours. Please save all the email between you and him.

Personally, I would send one more email to him asking for your laptop back. Please add that you are in dire need of it and give him a 2 day return time. If he has not responded withing the 2 day time period, print out all of your correspondence and take it to the police. In my opinion, it is totally unacceptable for him to keep your laptop and not respond to your requests for status.

I'm thrilled that your market sales have been great for you. Seems like this new venue has been a boom for you. YAY!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 6,200
lilliepad replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:31 PM

Donna-Please post pix of your cat snuggles when you have them completed. I can't wait to see them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,157
Points 68,565
Robin replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 3:35 AM

Good Morning All,

I am wake and working on getting going. 

Lilli,  So good to hear from you.  I hope this is a sign that things are on the mend in your world.  What did the doctor say about the left side?

Darlene, I'm like Lillie, I hope you are keeping the emails between you and him. 

So the hole is taking shape!  It's beginning to look like a classroom.    I wish I had taken pictures before so I could have shown you befores and afters.  Still got some alot of stuff to do but it's getting there. 

Here's to Wednesday!

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,517
Points 116,390
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 10:51 AM

Jo1030:
Linny, hope you are taking care of yourself.. What is Barbs age?
 Thanks for thinking of me, Jo.  I'm trying.  Barb is only 67.  

Sammy must just be mean by nature.  Some cats are, especially when they're jealous.  My cat's fine with another cat in the house, as long as it's a female.  He's fixed, so I don't think it's anything to do with that.  He'll fight to the death with another male cat, though.  Just must be some deep seeded territorial instinct or something.  It's funny that Sammy doesn't tolerate Coko, being she's a she.  Who knows what cats think, right?  Hope he soon gets over his bad self, lol.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,517
Points 116,390
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 11:00 AM

Donna C:
I've made 3 cat snuggles this week, and have cut down my stash quite a bit.  :-)
 I'd love to see a pic of these, if you get a moment.  I'm looking for stash busting, easy projects.

Donna C:
Once you use a cotton knitted or crocheted dishcloth or washcloth you'll never want anything else.  They're very durable, so don't be afraid to use one.  Depending on the yarn and/or color, however, the color may fade over time.
 My mom made me some wash cloths and you're right.  I used them until they were rags, sorry to say.  I liked the crochet ones better because they held their shape better.  The knit ones seemed to become distorted.  Probably the pattern, but they still worked really well.  She used that Sugar n' Cream thread.  I have some potholders, too.  They're double and have held up really well.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,517
Points 116,390
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 11:02 AM

Robin:
So the hole is taking shape!  It's beginning to look like a classroom.    I wish I had taken pictures before so I could have shown you befores and afters.  Still got some alot of stuff to do but it's getting there. 
 You go, girl!  I know you love a good challenge, lol.  Did your daughter survive day 2?  She's getting trial by fire, it seems.  God must have big plans for her.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,517
Points 116,390
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 11:05 AM

Did you all read about Robin Williams?  How sad, right?  Of all the people who I thought might commit suicide, he  would have not been in that category at all.   My grand son (17 years old) said he actually cried when he heard about it.  They grew up with his voice on the cartoon movies they loved.  I didn't realize they were affected by him that much.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Wed, Aug 13 2014 7:07 PM

Linny t:

Did you all read about Robin Williams?  How sad, right?  Of all the people who I thought might commit suicide, he  would have not been in that category at all.   My grand son (17 years old) said he actually cried when he heard about it.  They grew up with his voice on the cartoon movies they loved.  I didn't realize they were affected by him that much.

Yes!  It's all over TV and the internet, too.  He was such a great actor and comedian.  I remember him as far back as "Mork and Mindy."  He was born the same year as me, 1951.  I didn't know that before.  What bothers me is all the "Christian" stuff I see on Facebook in reference to Robin Williams and depression, like if he had been a Christian he wouldn't have suffered from it.  I know that's not true, from my own experience.  As a Christian and a pastor's wife back then, it was extremely lonely to be depressed, because I was afraid to talk to someone about it.  Thankfully, I finally found a doctor who explained to me that besides being a physical illness, it's genetic.  He said that some people when faced with very serious problem, like a fatal illness, loosing a loved one, or a divorce, they don't go into real long term depression, but others do, no matter what their spiritual beliefs are.  So, he started me on a medicine that I took for a period, and I went through a few days of inpatient hospitalization, then a couple of weeks of outpatient  therapy.  I will never be totally free of it, since it's genetic, but at least I've learned some tools for dealing with it, and know I can get more specialized help in an emergency.  It's so, so sad the RW didn't want to get help when he needed it.  There are so many resources out there.  It's so painful for the family, and his case, the whole world!

To all:  Thank for the interest in the cat snuggles.  I'm still working on them, but will surely post pics when I'm done.

Jo:  I'd love to see some pics of your cat quilt.  Cats rule!  Speaking of cats, there's a really good TV show about problems with cats called "My Cat From Hell" on the Animal Planet station.  Just Google it to find streaming videos of past episodes and the current schedule for it on TV.  It deals with "mean, problematic" cats a lot.  I love seeing the progress they make with the cats and that the cats and owners both become happier as a result.  So glad your iguana didn't get burned!  

Robin, you've really been working hard.  I remember all that, and the excitement of starting a new year.  Do post some pics of your room.  If your school's like mine was, you had to totally take everything down and pack it up at the end of the year, and move all the furniture over to one side of the room so they could shampoo the carpets during the summer.  How did your daughter, Laura, do with taking her principal's place?

Lilli, how are you feeling after the tests.  Sending healing prayers.

Linny, hang in there with Barb.  Hope you're still enjoying working on your etui.  Sending prayers for both of you.

Darlene, let us know how it's going with your computer.  I'm with the rest about taking the case to the police if you don't get it back.

Have a great evening everyone, and a Terrific Thursday.

Donna C.

Page 203 of 290 (4348 items) «Prev201202203204205Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use