rated by 0 users
This post has 3,818 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

lilliepad:
hazardous waste drop off at

Lillie, what a great incentive to get rid of those nasty paint cans.  We have paint can,s in our basement from when we bought the house too.  I will have to watch for info about that.

We decided to change from curbside garbage pickup to taking it to our local facility.  Curbside was difficult for recycling.  Glass only on the last week of the month, had to be in a "certified" bin, very picky.  We go there and they take whatever whenever.  Hours of operation are good and garbage is $.10 a pound.  Two weeks of garbage cost me a quarter of what I was paying a month.  And they take the stuff out of the car.

They also have an "e-cycling" component which takes old electronics for free.  We have a TV which weighs two ton, old stereo components and who knows what else.  Next time I go, I will have to ask about the hazardous waste.  Maybe I can take those paint cans there.

Hope you had a productive time sewing.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Stephanie:
can't wait to see a pic of it

Stephanie, I think I am almost finished with the "quilting".  I found that a blanket stitch with French knots on the top of each looks cool on the back.  I actually did what I think my book called an up and down blanket stitch.  Tall one, short one, tall one.  Then went back and did the knots.  It looks good on both sides and added some variety.  Also went faster than a ton of knots.

I am self binding this quilt.  Purists will tell me I cheated but it is what it is.  I left the backing larger than the top and batting and will turn it twice for a binding.  I like the look and it suits the quilt.  I have a few pins left in the quilt while I decide if I want to put any more quilting in.  I hope to finish the binding tonight and be done with this project.  Want to start a fresh, new project for June.  Of course, I will still have market sales to keep up with and consignment shop sales to do but I needed a fresh goal.  I think I am being an over achiever again.

I attacked an avalanche from my cutting table last night as my organizing project of the day.  It was such an amazing time.  I found a set of blocks that were MIA [now I can put that baby quilt together], my pinking scissors [properly put away so that they won't get lost again], three doll quilts which were MIA [found in time for market.  WooHoo!} and sorted out my Batiks.  My June project will be a Batik scrappy project.  Wish me luck.

Here is what I finished in May

Well, hope that everyone is having a beautiful weekend and that muses have returned to their proper inspirees.  Mine didn't seem to get to the gathering at Linny's but I have told her she can visit some place sunny soon.  I am glad that she continues to inspire me and that we are accomplishing good things together.  I have also had some supervision from Stedman

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny t:
...probably because we haven't taken a vacation...I know I'm off, but I've been working every day,

Linny, you did have a very busy week "off".  Glad you got so much accomplished and I hope that you are able to finish today so that you can spend time relaxing on Sunday before returning to work.

Your pizza party sounded like the perfect end to the day.

I saw you post about the Christmas ornament exchange and I want to participate this year.  Just let me know when you decide to begin this and I WILL make it happen this year.  I need some fresh ornaments for my tree to inspire me to put the tree up this year.  Hope that we will be able to do this.

If I am going to finish my CQ today, I really need to shut down the computer and go to the dungeon.

Enjoy your evening and have a good day tomorrow.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,860
Linny t replied on Sat, May 31 2014 7:52 PM

Stephanie:

Linny,

I am so thrilled for you with the progress you've made in your house. It's true that it has been a lot of work for you, but it's work that is going to pay off for you for a long time to come. Coming home to having your house in order will make wonders in your life on a daily basis. Just the stuff you've purged and donated has to make you feel great. Poor kitty, they and some dogs don't understand change. I had a german shepherd that knew where everything was, and if I rearranged she'd come out barking at misplaced objects like they were intruding on her space. LOL.

Reading about your German Shepherd barking at things when you moved them gave me a laugh.  It's hard to know what pets think sometimes.  Lucky is used to this.  She gets really curious as to what's behind things when I move them.  She loves to eat spiders.  I have to watch her.  Lillie loves to investigate the new spaces.  She wants to occupy them and has to be nudged out of the way when something new is moved there.  I swear that she thinks I'm moving stuff just for her.  Today my kitty came out and practiced lounging in the all new places.  It was like he was deciding which one he liked the best.  That's what I think I'll do tomorrow, lol.  I haven't sat down much this week.  My house is clean, though, and like you said, it'll be nice to come home after work and enjoy it.  I haven't used my new sewing room yet and thought working on Lillie's block part of tomorrow would be a good way to christen it. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,860
Linny t replied on Sat, May 31 2014 7:58 PM

Darlene :

I saw you post about the Christmas ornament exchange and I want to participate this year.  Just let me know when you decide to begin this and I WILL make it happen this year.  I need some fresh ornaments for my tree to inspire me to put the tree up this year.  Hope that we will be able to do this.

That's great, Darlene.  I was thinking of maybe August we'd start.  We should be done with the RR in July and I'm sure everyone in the RR will want a little break.  5 months should be enough time, don't you think?  I know last year Diane thought she'd join in if we had started earlier.  It'll be fun.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,860
Linny t replied on Sat, May 31 2014 8:15 PM

Darlene :

Stephanie:
can't wait to see a pic of it

Stephanie, I think I am almost finished with the "quilting".  I found that a blanket stitch with French knots on the top of each looks cool on the back.  I actually did what I think my book called an up and down blanket stitch.  Tall one, short one, tall one.  Then went back and did the knots.  It looks good on both sides and added some variety.  Also went faster than a ton of knots.

I am self binding this quilt.  Purists will tell me I cheated but it is what it is.  I left the backing larger than the top and batting and will turn it twice for a binding.  I like the look and it suits the quilt.  I have a few pins left in the quilt while I decide if I want to put any more quilting in.  I hope to finish the binding tonight and be done with this project.  Want to start a fresh, new project for June.  Of course, I will still have market sales to keep up with and consignment shop sales to do but I needed a fresh goal.  I think I am being an over achiever again.

I attacked an avalanche from my cutting table last night as my organizing project of the day.  It was such an amazing time.  I found a set of blocks that were MIA [now I can put that baby quilt together], my pinking scissors [properly put away so that they won't get lost again], three doll quilts which were MIA [found in time for market.  WooHoo!} and sorted out my Batiks.  My June project will be a Batik scrappy project.  Wish me luck.

Here is what I finished in May

Well, hope that everyone is having a beautiful weekend and that muses have returned to their proper inspirees.  Mine didn't seem to get to the gathering at Linny's but I have told her she can visit some place sunny soon.  I am glad that she continues to inspire me and that we are accomplishing good things together.  I have also had some supervision from Stedman

I just had to bump this up to the top so it doesn't get buried.  Amazing accomplishment for one month!  They are so pretty, too.  I bet they'll sell quick.  Your Stedman is a pretty kitty, too.  Looks like he knows where you'll be...at the sewing machine.  It's nice to have a mascot, isn't it? 

It feels good to find stuff, doesn't it? I found so much stuff this week that I haven't seen in a couple of years.  I makes me feel inspired all over again.  I haven't been inspired to quilt in quite awhile.  I like the idea you have about organizing one thing every day.  I think I'll adopt that and make it a habit.  I see what all you accomplish with your sewing plan, too.  Not very many people can say they've made 2 quilts in one month.  You should be proud of yourself.  I know it all comes from disciplining yourself to sticking to your plan.  You have inspired me, Darlene, to set goals and make a plan to reach them.  I can't wait to see your scrappy batik quilt come to life.  I do wish you luck with it. 

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Points 5,005

Darlene :

Lillie, what a great incentive to get rid of those nasty paint cans.  We have paint can,s in our basement from when we bought the house too.  I will have to watch for info about that.

We decided to change from curbside garbage pickup to taking it to our local facility.  Curbside was difficult for recycling.  Glass only on the last week of the month, had to be in a "certified" bin, very picky.  We go there and they take whatever whenever.  Hours of operation are good and garbage is $.10 a pound.  Two weeks of garbage cost me a quarter of what I was paying a month.  And they take the stuff out of the car.

They also have an "e-cycling" component which takes old electronics for free.  We have a TV which weighs two ton, old stereo components and who knows what else.  Next time I go, I will have to ask about the hazardous waste.  Maybe I can take those paint cans there.

Hope you had a productive time sewing.

Darlene-this is wonderful for you. I wish we had an e-cycling drop off area. We have computers that don't work any longer and are just taking up space in our closet. I'd want to take out the hard drives and destroy them before I would give them to the recycle folks. Just to be on the safe side.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Points 5,005

Linny t:

Darlene :

That's great, Darlene.  I was thinking of maybe August we'd start.  We should be done with the RR in July and I'm sure everyone in the RR will want a little break.  5 months should be enough time, don't you think?  I know last year Diane thought she'd join in if we had started earlier.  It'll be fun.

I somehow missed the post about the Christmas ornament exchange. Count me in for 2014.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 8:08 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Woke up at 2 and was still awake at 3 so I got up.   I finally went back to bed about 5 and missed the 8:30 service at church.

I started a scrappy yesterday because I've been dying to piece something.  I also worked some of Stephanie's block.  Yesterday was take it easy day and I'm planning to go with that again today.   I think my body just needed some rest and time to get recycled.

Today I plan on doing some more of nothing much.   I'm just not in the mood and I'm taking time off.

Have a happy Sunday.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 11:11 AM

Darlene--------the quilts are so pretty and fun!  Sometimes I do the binding the same way.  It's fine in my opinion. It shows the backing too.  You have really been busy with your muse!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,860
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 1 2014 5:58 PM

Robin, glad you decided to take a breather.  You really needed it.  Now you'll have the energy for the last push at school.  What colors are you using in your scrappy?  Are you making a particular pattern?

Lille, I'm happy that you're doing the ornaments with us.  That's a good idea to destroy the hard drives before you recycle.  My county doesn't have much of a recycle program.  Plastic and paper is all they do curb side.  Once every few months they do a thing where you can put anything at the curb and they'll take it.  Once they had a prescription drug thing where you could take your out of date meds to them and they'd destroy them.  I thought that was kind of odd, but hey, maybe there are a lot of people out there with meds they don't finish.  I suppose when someone dies they have meds left over.  Ricky did, but not so many to make me want to drive across the county to dispose of them.  They don't take up much space.

Hope everyone had a lovely Sunday.  I have done a little of this and that today, but no heavy stuff ,except to mow my back yard.  I let it go too long and had to really push and pull the mower to get done before the rain started.  Now I've got a pulled something in my back and it's aching.  Just what I need to go back to work with.  I didn't get any sewing done yet, but the night's not over.  I'll see what my back will let me do.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 2:43 AM

Good Morning One and All,

Sleep is once again an elusive thing.  I don't know if it the things on my plate or the fact the air went out yesterday or what I just did seem to be able to sleep at all last night.

Linny,  I hope you had a lovely Sunday too.  Sounds like you had a very productive week and that work might not be a bad place to catch up on some rest.  Although I imagine you would rather stay home and play in all your new spaces.

Darlene,  Your quilts are charming.  I love the themes and the colors.  Hope they sell quick.

The scrappy I'm making is a block called Sunny Lanes.  It will have lots of purples, some blues, pinks and yellows in the scrappy part of the block and then some green and some white or beige in the sashing around the block.   I'm mainly looking for something to get me motivated to get back to the machine.   This is for one of my students who just graduated.  She is such a sweetie and her Mom and I were buds in high school.  She had a rough finished to the end of her senior year so I wanted to do something extra special for her.   I already warned her that her present would be late.   I'm hoping this will knock out quickly and put me in the mood to work on Laurie's Wedding quilt.

Have a happy Monday.  One more week and this year is in the can. 

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Good morning all,

Darlene,

I love your quilts, especially The Cat in the Hat. Always love Dr Suess. My sis is a big fan of  the Grinch. LOL.

You have accomplished a lot for May. Just reading about your quilts, your work on the avalance and finding your doll quilts is so inspiring. I too like the plan of organizing one thing a day. Makes things seem do able.

Your batik scrappy sounds like it will be a beauty.

Lillie,

Good to hear you've been able to purge old paint. After that amount of time, you'll be ready for some new colors down the road. How's your door repair holding up?

Linny,

Too funny reading about you furbaby Lilly eating spiders and thinking you've moved the furniture just for her. You have just been so impressive in basically moving your whole house around and all the organizing you've accomplished in a weeks time. WTG! Hope your back is feeling better this morning....

Robin,

Sorry to read about your sleep difficulties, and the a/c going out. Having just gone through that recently myself, I can feel for you on the heat making a day miserable. Hope it's a quick fix for you. 

Oh my goodness in thinking of you making a graduation quilt with so much going on. I know she'll love it, and all the hard work you put into it. 

All, 

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to participate in the Christmas ornament RR. After this RR, I have to give focus to making decorations for the wedding. We'll be having a lot of family coming, so there are some things I need to do around here as well. It's great to see all the participation this year. You'll have a lot of fun doing these, and something to have for years to come....

Have a great day every one.... 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Points 5,005

Stephanie:

Lillie,

Good to hear you've been able to purge old paint. After that amount of time, you'll be ready for some new colors down the road. How's your door repair holding up?

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to participate in the Christmas ornament RR. After this RR, I have to give focus to making decorations for the wedding. We'll be having a lot of family coming, so there are some things I need to do around here as well. It's great to see all the participation this year. You'll have a lot of fun doing these, and something to have for years to come....

Have a great day every one.... 

The front door repair seems to have held up pretty good this past winter. Now we'll see how it does in the baking sun of the summer. I really want to put a storm door up because of the extreme weather the front door gets. It's south facing. Great on the driveway in winter as the snow melts more quickly. But our poor front door gets hammered summer and winter.

I'm sorry you won't be joining us for the ornaments RR. I completely understand about making wedding decorations. And, family always takes precedence over everything else.

Darlene-I really liked your quilts. I bet they were fun and fast to make.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,860
Linny t replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 10:59 AM

Robin:
Sleep is once again an elusive thing.  I don't know if it the things on my plate or the fact the air went out yesterday or what I just did seem to be able to sleep at all last night.
 I'm sorry you're having such trouble sleeping.  It's hard to sleep with no ac and even worse when our brains get stuck in the "on" mode.  i looked up Sunny Lanes and it's a really pretty pattern.  Kind of reminds me of Tennessee Waltz, the way the block placement makes the straight sides appear to bend.  It's one of those that looks hard but should go together easy.  With your colors I'm sure it's going to be beautiful and cherished by your student her entire life.  Nice of her to understand your being late with it.  

Hope you come home tonight and can't resist falling asleep right after dinner :)

Linny T

Page 161 of 255 (3819 items) «Prev159160161162163Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use