rated by 0 users
This post has 3,333 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,039
Points 65,585
Robin replied on Mon, May 26 2014 4:25 PM

Donna C:

It's been about a month since my last post on this thread, due to several things:  giving my daughter a baby shower, making a Renaissance "doublet" for DH, and BECOMING A NEW GRANDMA!  That was May 14th.  Then after that, spending lots of time with them and entertaining in-laws and other family come to visit the baby.  Just a reminder:  my daughter, Anne, and her husband adopted this newborn baby through an agency associated with Texas CPS and foster child programs.  They really weren't really expecting to get a newborn, much less a white child, but thanks to God, this is exactly what they got.  This was an answer to everyone's prayers.  His name is Cedric Ethan Geswender, 7 lb., 11 oz., 19 in.  I'm including a couple of pics from this doting grandma.  The first one shows him at 1 week, 4 days; the second, his first day, with his mom, Anne, and me.  I was crying with joy the whole time!  They were able to get a room at the hospital where he was born.  They even met the birth mom who had chosen them for her baby.  It was a sad situation, but she was glad to get it over and have a good family for him.  Anne and Eric could stay with him there until they officially signed the papers on Friday, the 16th.  He's been in great health, eats every 4 hours or so, and sleeps most of the other time.  I had forgotten how much newborns sleep.  However, I know Anne and Eric are both loosing a lot of sleep with the late night and early morning feedings.  Thankfully Anne's taking a month off, and Eric, a week.  They have a retired pediatric nurse who will be coming to their house to babysit when Anne goes back to work.  They met her at their church in Galveston.  How lucky is that?!  Of course, Grandma will be happy to make the trip down there to babysit whenever!  :)

I've really enjoyed readying some of your posts since I last appeared here, but I have several more pages to go.  I loved the pictures of the quilting for sure, absolutely beautiful work from many of you!  I stand amazed and eager to learn more.  Right now I'm working on knitting a sweater and a hat for Cedric for next Fall.  I already quilted him a big pillow for his play and reading corner of his nursery, and may post that later.  It was very plain, though, but with the colors she wanted for the nursery:  greens, blues, and browns.

Congratulations!  He's adorable!

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 346
Points 9,435

Cedric is a beautiful baby!  Everyone is so lucky and blessed. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,039
Points 65,585
Robin replied on Tue, May 27 2014 4:23 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope that your day is bright and beautiful wherever you are. 

Yesterday was a good and productive day for me.  All my grading is pretty much caught up and I spent some time alone yesterday afternoon shopping.  I needed to pick up some graduation presents for some special students.  The time alone did me good.

I hope that you all have a better than average Monday.   Officially 7 days left in this school year with kids.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 27 2014 5:29 AM

Donna,

What beautiful pic's. Congratulations to all of you. Cedric is a beautiful baby boy! And what a blessing to have him as a newborn. I am so thrilled for all. Thanks for sharing your joy with us.....Happy to have you back. :0)

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:15 AM

lilliepad:
Sunday was a productive day for me, although none of it was in my sewing room. Planted everything for the veggie garden. Just have to pop some corn kernels into the ground this morning. Wouldn't you know it, rained really hard yesterday evening. Thankfully,there was no hail. That is usually what happens right after I put the veggies in the ground. lol

Lillie, 

Way to go getting in some seeds for a veggie garden. Hope the rain hasn't washed away any of your seeds. Do you plant a veggie garden every year?

It was wonderful to read you had a creative spark with Zentangle. Maybe being outside for part of the day planting helped?

Dinner of lobster and homeade bread sounds really good. Two of my fav's. Thoughts of homeade bread made my mouth water. LOLI love pinenuts with green beans too.    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:19 AM

Jo1030:
The Fellowship Meal was well attended and the food was very good.....they ate all my pasta salad which is always a good sign.  I put some sour cream, bread crumbs and seasoned salt in my hamburger and that made them really good. It makes them soft (fall apart easy) and brown/burn quickly; but they are ohhhhh so good that way.  I don't measure, I just put some in.  Try it some time!  I saw it on line or I would never have thought of it.  I also put two different kinds of mustard in them.     Hugs, Jo

Oh my goodness Jo. Between your delectable burgers and Lillie's lobster, I had to go out and reheat my leftover dinner from the restaurant for breakfast this morning. Cereal just wouldn't do.

I'm going to have to try burgers that way. Great to hear the Fellowship Meal was well attended. And seeing your food  bowls empty is such a compliment to the chef.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 217
Points 4,025
lilliepad replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:30 AM

Donna C-congratulations on the birth of your Grandson Cedric. How wonderful that you were able to be part of this glorious occasion. Good luck with the knitting. I'm sure it will be beautiful and he will look wonderful in his new sweater and hat. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.

• Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, May 27 2014 6:34 AM

Looks like we may be starting to have some site issues again. Maybe as Linny suggested, it might be time for a new thread.

Memorial Day was a working day for us. Unfortunately with the a/c issues a sinus headache chased me all day. After I got home I crashed and fell asleep for 12 hours. 

We did have a much needed rain, and the drops are still twinkling off the grass this morning. I have to take Bella in and have her final stitches removed from her operation a couple weeks ago. So in wait of time to leave, I've been busying myself with stewing some chicken for the dogs. We had switched Stetson (male boston terrier) over because he is allergic to dog food. Even the non chemical ones give him a cough that doesn't quit. It's become a labor of love to make chicken and rice, as now all the dogs are having it as well. Have to say, in cost comparison, when the chickens on sale it works out the same as we were paying for dog food. But it seems they are all doing so well on it. Less gas, and digestive problems. And none of their food is ever left behind. LOL

Not going to post a long one. I got an error message on the last, but it did post.

Have a great day everyone. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Tue, May 27 2014 7:36 AM

Donna, congratulations on becoming a Grandma!  Cedrick is beautiful and it is so wonderful how perfect it all came about.  How great your daughter could take a month off and her husband a week for the adjustment.  Finding that retired pediatric nurse for a nanny is such a blessing.  You can see the love and joy in both your faces.  Now you'll have to make a baby quilt..or 2...or more, lol. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:35 AM

Robin, those 2 blocks seem like they were made for each other.  I've seen lots of quilts that combine them.  It'll look lovely in creams and beiges.  With her working 10 your days you shouldn't have any problem hiding it from her.  Nice that you're letting a longarm quilter do the quilting, too.  That'll take a lot of pressure off of you.  I'm hoping your last days of the school year are kind to you.

Stephanie, hope Bella's stitches come out easily.  I don't do well with hot either.  Hope that was what caused you to feel bad and today you're back on top.

Lillie, your lobster dinner sounded delish.  Maybe you could post a link to your You Tube?  I'm glad you got your spark back and that the rain didn't ruin your new garden.

Jo, your burger recipe actually made my mouth water.  I haven't had a really good burger since Ricky passed.  He made them with brown gravy mix, minced onion and mustard.  They were famous with our family.  I'll have to try your recipe next time I buy some hamburger.  It seems that food always tastes better mixed with fellowship, though.  I'm glad your dinner turned out so well.  How do you make your macaroni salad?

Darlene, I'm happy your dinner with Kyle was so pleasant.  It wouldn't be normal if he didn't go out to his friend's house, though.  You are so right about the tests.  There is so much riding on everyone's wellbeing with those tests.  Imagine what it's like for Barb and Tim.  Barb's next scan is on June 11th.  She gets so depressed and withdrawn just before a scan.  I hate cancer.

Yesterday I worked in my room until 7.  After eating I fell into a deep sleep.  I have my sewing room all put together, except for the closet.  I'm already in love with my new space.  Today I will do the same to my bedroom which seems much larger now that half the furniture is moved out of there.  I still have a long way to go.

Mammag, I had to empty all my stash out of it's cabinet to move it into the other room.  It was so much fun handling it all, remembering each piece.  It's a large cabinet with deep shelves.  I love it because it has glass doors on the shelves that slide into the cabinet when they are opened.  I couldn't believe the pile of fabric I had.  It was so nice to handle it all again, seeing it en mass on my bed.  It was a mountain!  I put it all back in, nice and neat and realized that there wasn't room for any more.  I said to myself, "I'll have to make some quilts so I'll have room for more fabric."  Then I realized that my real hobby is collecting fabric and that making quilts was an ancillary benefit, lol.  You can never have too much fabric.  

Today is Barb's birthday.  She didn't like the idea of going somewhere overnight, so we are just going to take a trip to Ikea in Tampa.  Her daughter is going with us, so it should be a fun day.  I'm going to call her as soon as I'm finished here.  She's been sleeping in really late.  That's another sign that she's depressed about the scan.  I hate cancer!

I hope you all have a lovely Tuesday.

Linny T

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Stephanie:
It has to be tough emotionally to wonder and worry every time you have an appointment if it will be bad news.

Yes, it is tough for me but as Linny said, imagine what it is like for the patient.

Tim doesn't say much before his appointments but he becomes withdrawn and depressed.  The big thing last week was the blood draw.  Tim's veins are so full of scar tissue that it is a challenge for the tech to get a good stick.  Some are able to use a butterfly needle which is smaller and easier to insert.  Unfortunately, some draws cannot be done with the butterfly.  Because it is smaller, it doesn't always allow the proper flow for the type of test they need to do.

Tim has been told the best thing he can do is drink LOTS of water before going to the lab.  Tim is not fond of water and never consumes the amount of water a person should during the course of the day.  On days of blood draws, I push the water.  We drive about 45 minutes to the hospital so I brought two bottles of water in the car and told him he needed to have them both empty before we got to the parking garage.  He is not happy about things when I put on the "mommy hat" with him but that is the only way to approach those moments.  We have a set of railroad tracks that we frequently have to stop at.  These tracks are almost halfway to the hospital.  That made it easier.  "Drink one bottle between home and the tracks, second bottle between the tracks and the garage."

This approach worked wonders last Friday.  The second blessing was the tech.  She was VERY good at her job and wasn't rushing.  She spent a good amount of time just "searching"  She acknowledged the amount of scar tissue but was full of smiles when she found a "small spot in the middle" that she was able to get in and everything else went smoothly.

This week is Tim's week off.  He begins Summer session on Saturday.  He is laying low, watching war movies and chasing critters on the computer.  Best way for him to decompress.  He plans to go to the office tomorrow to set up his  office for new software that he will begin to use in the Fall semester.  Other than that, he is vegging this week.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Stephanie:

Darlene :
Bad thing was that I fell asleep and then woke up at midnight and couldn't sleep.

That's my problem too. I don't mind it so much since I have my sewing room I can come into. It's on the other side of the house, so I don't disturb anyone

Since I sew in the dungeon and our bedroom is on the second floor, I am separated as well and not disturbing Tim if I get up during the night.

Sunday I napped in the chair and then was wide awake when it was time to go to bed.  Instead I went down to the dungeon and began sewing.  I hit a second or third wind and was really going when the alarm on my phone went off at 6 AM.  I lost all my steam when I realized what time it was.  I went upstairs and told Tim it was time to get up as I crawled into bed.

I had made plans to meet friends for breakfast and the annual parade at 9.  I slept 2 hours and got up, showered and dressed.  We had a nice breakfast and the parade was good.  We started a new tradition this year with the breakfast.  For many years the parade went by our house on the way to the cemetery and everyone congregated on our front lawn to watch the parade.  In 2011 they changed the route of the parade and it went by where my mom lived.  So we moved the group to Main St in front of her apartment complex.  This year I couldn't go there to watch the parade, so my friend suggested breakfast.  The diner we went to in across the street from where the parade forms.  We walked out the front of the diner, and walked down the street half a block.  Found a nice yard that was shady and the homeowner was friendly.  We put our blanket on the knoll in front of the house and had a good view of everything.

I came home and successfully stayed awake until 8 PM.  I crashed at that time and slept until 8 this morning.  Hopefully, I am back on schedule and my sleep will return to normal patterns.

Hope you have a good day today and find some time for creative endeavors after taking Bella to the vet.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Donna C:
BECOMING A NEW GRANDMA

Donna, Cedric is a beautiful boy.  Congrats.  So happy that you were able to be part of this glorious event.

Good luck with the knitting.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Robin, so good to hear that you got all the grading caught up and had some time to spend alone.  That is important.

Countdown begins.  May these last 7 days of classes be productive and not overwhelming.

Sending you wishes of a Marvelous Monday.  You deserve more than better than average!

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Linny t:
Yesterday I worked in my room until 7.  After eating I fell into a deep sleep.  I have my sewing room all put together, except for the closet.  I'm already in love with my new space.  Today I will do the same to my bedroom which seems much larger now that half the furniture is moved out of there.  I still have a long way to go

Linny, so good to hear that you are settling into your space and making progress.  Sounds like you got a lot done already during your time off and you earned a deep sleep.

Linny t:
Today is Barb's birthday

Happy birthday wishes to Barb.  I understand her reluctance to go away for the night.  Being close to home is so important to Tim as well.  He only wants to sleep in his own bed.  I have to respect that.  There are times when I feel selfish because I really want to travel with him but it is not worth upsetting him.  Fortunately he doesn't hold me back when I really want to do something.  He has learned that the best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't

Linny t:
I hate cancer!

I couldn't agree more.  It is the nastiest of things.  I know few people who can say that they have not been affected by it.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 0
Page 157 of 223 (3334 items) «Prev155156157158159Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use