My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,325 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 778
Points 12,600

Take your time and don't go back until you feel ready. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Linny t:
Why won't your mother in law come to your house? 

Ten years ago she broke her hip.  She has used a walker for most of the time ever since.  Our bathroom on the ground floor is very small and she would need to be able to go in there without the walker.  At first she would just not se the bathroom while she was here.  As she ages she can't go that long without using the bathroom.  Since it is not an option for her to not use the bathroom or go in without her walker, she doesn't come to our house. 

There was also the issue of the porch steps being uneven but when we replaced our front porch, she paid half so that she could make sure that the steps were wide enough for her to come up them with her walker. 

It is sad that she is so reluctant to try some things, but I have had to accept that this is her choice and also her loss.  She leads a very lonely life because of these choices.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Stephanie:
I made it an hour, and had to stop and come home. Not ready yet

So sorry that you only lasted an hour but glad you were able to recognize it.

Stephanie:

Sounds pretty to have a block done with viney stitches. 

I did do some viney type work in one of the blocks today and I am happy.  I have the quadrants pinned to sew together and then the top will be complete.  I am thinking of adding a little more to some of the seams close to the edges of the original blocks.  I am almost ready to sandwich but I think I will have to purchase the backing.

After I finish the top I will try to get a pic of the entire thing and post my progress

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:06 PM

Darlene :
It is sad that she is so reluctant to try some things, but I have had to accept that this is her choice and also her loss.  She leads a very lonely life because of these choices.

That is sad.  Fear of falling after a bad spill is powerful, though.  I was afraid to try to walk without my cane for a long time after the hamstring thing.  I suppose it's harder to push beyond those fears as we age.  Like you say, it's her loss.  If she'd move beyond it she'd get to see her son a lot more.  It's good of you to go out of your way to accommodate her fears like you do.  Would she consider using one of those 3 legged canes when she visits your house to be able to get into the bathroom?  Maybe she won't even consider it, but it might be worth a shot.  At least for holidays so you could all be together.  It's hard to imagine getting so unstable that stairs are scary, isn't it?  Fear is such a limiting and powerful force.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 2,000
Donna C replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:09 PM

Darlene :
 Easter was a wonderful day.  I was up early and attended the sunrise service at 7 AM.  We serve breakfast to the congregation after sunrise service.  This year they made french toast, scrambled eggs, and sausage.  Then people brought in pastries and such and to go along with the "main" portion of the meal.  There were hard boiled, colored eggs on the tables in baskets and juice and coffee to finish things off.  Very nice a good way to have fellowship.  After breakfast was Bible Study  and then our Festival service at 11.  Kyle went with me to the sunrise service and I stayed for the Festival service because I am part of the choir at the 11 AM service and Tim and I were serving as ushers.  Long day at church but it isn't every week.

Darlene, I can identify with your experience on Easter.  It reminded me of when I was a missionary in Mexico City.  The Mexican brethren like to do sunrise services, then a breakfast, and then after that, another service, Sunday School, then the last service at noon, not 11:00, which is the popular time here in the US.  And, all the women wore white on Easter.  Imagine my surprise when I showed up in a pastel peach dress my first Easter there, back in 1982...then, in Guadalajara.  I was always very involved in music, so I usually sang in the choir, and during the last several years, directed the choir and led the congregational singing.  Those were the days!

I was in Mexico from 1982 until the summer of 2000.  That's when my missionary husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore, and out of the blue told me he didn't love me anymore.  So, after I picked myself up off the floor I sold most of what I had, moved back to Texas with my son, then a junior in high school, got myself settled there, an apartment, a car, a job as a choir director in a high school.  I'm close to my daughter here, too.  At that time she was going to college at Texas A&M Galveston.  Eventually I found Tom, my DH now for 13 years.  He's not a Christian, yet...please pray for him.  He loves me, makes me laugh, and doesn't mind me going to church.  I was "equally yoked" with my 1st, and that didn't work.  It's still hard for me sometimes, but I'm glad we found each other.   We're both retired teachers, and love to travel.  While I'm quilting, he's usually working on something in the yard or house, too.  

I go to church now with a neighbor friend, and we're looking for a church to join together.   I don't know if I can get as involved in a church like I was before, but I know I need it.  God's not through with either of us yet!  

I'm really enjoying this thread, and thanks to all of you who welcomed me on the thread I started "a new friend."  I'll be posting some pictures of some of my work soon.  I've also enjoyed reading about your projects, and I know I can learn a lot from all of you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:34 AM

Donna,

You sound very talented. It must have been a beautiful sight to see all of the Mexican women come out in their white dresses. Yes, a tad embarrassing for you in peach, but you didn't know the tradition. I showed up at a church here in a burgundy dress, and one of the elders came up to me and asked me if my husband lets me wear that color. Really? I thought to myself,.. the day my husband would tell me I couldn't wear a color, would be a day he wouldn't  forget for a very long time. LOL

So sad to read about your first husband being so cruel, in ending your marriage. I'll never understand men's concepts behind handling these things the way they do. But, by the grace of God, it sounds like you were determined and able to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on. And have a husband that loves you. I'm happy for you.  Sounds like you have a lot in common both being retired teachers. Lots to share.

Look forward to seeing pic's of your work, and we're happy to help with anything you might need... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:42 AM

mamagshouse:
Take your time and don't go back until you feel ready.

Thanks Mamag.

Did I read, you have six kids? Oh my goodness. How wonderful. I'm sorry to read that you have suffered so with migraines and lupus. Hope your disability comes through for you. And depression. I've had my own experiences with that for sure. It's a terrible thing. But my husband, God love him, says it makes me a part of who I am with the sensitivities that come along as part of it. It was so sweet of him to say that. I always felt a bit guilty after I'd work myself out of the throws of it. Felt like I'd let the world and people I love get passed by. It's a terrible thing, and by the grace of God, as I've gotten older, the spells don' t last like they used to.    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:58 AM

Darlene,

Darlene :
So sorry that you only lasted an hour but glad you were able to recognize it.

Had something to do with gasping for air, and trying to keep from using expletives with the shooting pain. LOL. Not a potty mouth by nature, but a few things slipped out I wasn't proud of.  I was so anxious to get out of there I left my purse. Mike brought it home with him that evening

Darlene :

I did do some viney type work in one of the blocks today and I am happy.  I have the quadrants pinned to sew together and then the top will be complete.  I am thinking of adding a little more to some of the seams close to the edges of the original blocks.  I am almost ready to sandwich but I think I will have to purchase the backing.

After I finish the top I will try to get a pic of the entire thing and post my progress

It's exciting to read how far you've progressed. You are a get it done lady! Can't wait to see it.

It does sound like your MIL is a bit lost in her fears. I'm sure the bathroom thing may hold a bit of being afraid to be embarrassed if she had to ask for help too.  At least she's willing to go out to dinner at times. How old is she now?  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:21 AM

Linny t:
Your gramma days are right ahead of you, my dear, lol. 

I can't wait!!! Did I tell you, her family has a history of twins? 

Linny t:
I've read where destination weddings are really big these days.  As if a wedding isn't already expensive enough, right?  Still, they have a great time and a whopper of a memory.

I don't quite get the fascination with a destination wedding. Seems like it'd put a burden on family members to have to pay for a resort trip. And a lot that just couldn't go.

These are different times, I suppose. Good for them wanting to get out and explore the world while they're young enough to enjoy it.  And yes, a whopper of a memory.    

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 2,000
Donna C replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 11:47 AM

Stephanie:

Had something to do with gasping for air, and trying to keep from using expletives with the shooting pain. 

It sounds like you're suffering from either a really debilitating illness or surgery.  I missed that part of the ongoing conversation.  Don't share if you don't want to, of course.   

Whatever it's from, I hope your life gets back to normal soon.  Like a lot of us here in this QCA group, I've gone through a lot of physical and emotional illnesses over the years, too, so I know how it is.  Thankfully now most of it is under control.  I take 3 heart medications, and try to exercise and eat a healthy diet.  I take lots of vitamin and mineral supplements that seem to help keep my tendency for respiratory allergies and bronchitis at bay, and help my blood pressure.  I did take an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication for years after my ex left me, but it caused me to gain weight.  That wasn't good for my heart so I got off of that about 3 years ago.  That was hard!   Sometimes I find myself depressed, but working on these handwork and sewing projects really help, as well as many other things.  That problem with my ex was devastating at first.  So devastating that I was hospitalized due to really bad depression.  The therapy I got there helped me see the things I could do to help me out of that hole, besides just using the medication.  Plus, I don't know what I'd do without my faith in God.   Leaning on Him, letting go and letting God, has kept me going day to day, minute to minute.  

So, I'm sending you lots of encouragement and prayers.

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 3:35 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you all have had a wonderful Tuesday.   Overslept this morning so I didn't get to post anything. Things have been hopping around here with Easter and all, I forgot to mention that Laurie was in a wreck the Thursday before Easter.   Her car got the worst of it but like I told her cars can be repaired.   Then she expect all weekend that Chris was going to pop the question and he didn't, so that disappointed her.  Then yesterday she was rejected for a job interview with the local middle school, which was weird because they all seem to want her to come to work there.  So things for her have been a little bit stressful.  But like I told her the car can be fixed,  the boy will ask when he's ready and the well the job interview I really didn't have any sage advice because I don't really understand it myself.

I also went back to the doctor yesterday and had the second set of structures and glue removed.   I'm healing nicely and get to go back in 3 weeks.

Stephanie,   I'm so sorry to read that you had so a scary experience yesterday.  Please rest and take care of yourself.

Donna,  Welcome to the group.   I'm also a teacher.  My hubby and I teach at a high school.   I'm a Family and Consumer Science Teacher, he teaches art.  And we do are unequally yolk by biblical standards, but I can't imagine my life without him.    What did you teach? 

Darlene,   Sorry to hear that your Easter was divided between you hubby and your mother in law.   I know that has to be difficult for you.   I am glad you and Tim got to go to services together and that Kyle spent most of the day with you.

Linny,  It was cute seeing Mom pose for pictures.  She's never done that before because she hates pictures.  I was delight that we got several of her.

Lillie and Jo,  I hope you guys are doing ok.

Diane,  How are the eggs?

Have a great evening.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 4:31 PM

It's nice to hear that everyone had a good Easter. I was invited by a friend to go to our restaurant here in the building.  Her daughter came and we became facebook friends.  It was really fun.  They had 4 meats to choose from and plenty of side dishes.  It was very good!

It's so nice to see all of the new people here.  I hope you all enjoy the group and join right in.  We are in the middle of a round robin and will be posting pictures soon.

Mamag--thanks for the youtube idea.  I had forgotten how much instruction there is there.

Stephanie---can't believe you are back to work.  Take is very easy.  You have not had a good year with your health.

Robin--sounds like you are giving Laurie such good advice. Life can be so disappointing sometimes.

Robin--another egg died today.  The rest--7--are still soft so we'll see. 

I am still working on Lillie's block--I had a good plan and am trying to follow it!

Have a good sleep everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 4:45 PM

Donna C:
It sounds like you're suffering from either a really debilitating illness or surgery.  I missed that part of the ongoing conversation.

It was just a fall last Sunday. Landed so that my arm shoved into my ribcage. The doctor told me that it wouldn't matter to get an xray to see if they were fractured or just bruised. The treatment would be the same. He said if they were broken, I'd be coughing blood, or it would be in my urine. It's just temporarily painful, thank God. So many people have things so much worse.

Donna C:
I take 3 heart medications, and try to exercise and eat a healthy diet.

My goodness Donna. Is it COPD? I just wondered because of the tendency toward bronchial illness. I quit taking meds for anxiety and depression myself years ago as well. I didn't like the weight gain, and tired feeling. They did help though. I think sometimes, especially when you have the kind of stress you had, they are really necessary to break the body/mind cycle. And for you to not only go thru a divorce, but the move back to the states, and finding a new job, it had to be so overwhelming. 

Donna C:
Sometimes I find myself depressed, but working on these handwork and sewing projects really help, as well as many other things.  

This site, these dear friends and getting back into sewing was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I hope it will be for you too. We share everything, and support each other. Beats any other therapy I've ever had and I hope it will for you too. You've been through a lot, God Bless you for hanging on, and hanging in there and doing whatever it took. He's always here for us.

And right back to you with encouragement and prayers... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 4:51 PM

Robin,

I'm so sorry to hear of Laurie's accident. And bless her heart with the disappointment of her hoping Chris would pop the question, and didn't. That was probably worse than the job, but still. What a blow all the way around. Hopefully things will turn around for her soon.

It's great to read your gums are continuing to heal without complication. 

Hope you have a great evening as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 4:57 PM

Diane:
It's nice to hear that everyone had a good Easter. I was invited by a friend to go to our restaurant here in the building.  Her daughter came and we became facebook friends.  It was really fun.  They had 4 meats to choose from and plenty of side dishes.  It was very good!

Diane, sounds like you had a great time, and made a new young friend. Sweet! Dinner sounds yummy too! We had taco's. LOL

Diane:
can't believe you are back to work.  Take is very easy.  You have not had a good year with your health.

I had to try, even though it didn't last long. I should have worn the brace.It does seem like this year has had a lot of health issues for me. All temporary, and not near what you go through on a daily basis. Speaking of which, how've you been feeling lately?

Hope the rest of the eggs make it. Soft is good? 

Page 123 of 222 (3326 items) «Prev121122123124125Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use