rated by 0 users
This post has 2,962 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:13 PM

Lillie:

I purchased a yellow Frixion pen to use on black/dark fabrics. I'm still waiting for the mark to go away. It's been over a year. Every once in a while I take the piece out and put a hot iron to it to see if it will work. Still there. Luckily it was just a piece of fabric that I did not care about and was just using it as a learning piece for a class. When I told my LQS she said I must have done something wrong. My response was that I bought the pen on her recommendation at her shop. We've moved on from that encounter and all is right with the world.

I think as I get older I have grown less tolerant of people saying things like that to me.

Thanks for the info. I've never used yellow. I totally understand how you feel about being less tolerant about people saying that kind of thing. I've known ladies that wouldn't have gone back over less. And yes, the people that block the aisles!!!! We have a Walmart superstore here that I won't go in anymore just for that reason. Not just a couple people chatting, but whole families. It's like the gathering place or something. Even when you say excuse me they just stare at you like you're challenging them and don't move. What is up with that???   

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:16 PM

Diane:
Stephanie---I have your block out looking and deciding what to do.  It's a process!  Could we send the blocks on April 1st?  Since we got a late start?

That would work  for me as well. I still have lots to do around here for company coming, and I'm taking a timeout tomorrow to go to a quilt show. These days fly by so quickly....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:18 PM

Diane:
This happened to me--I found a friend that lived with me 10 years ago.  She continues to be one of my best friends.  It's nice that he is giving you sweet gifts.

Wonderful for you to find your friend. It's a great feeling to spend time with them and catch up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:25 PM

Diane:
my problem is not laziness, it's planning and anxiety.  I have to get over that!

You have done so many wonderful blocks, you'd think it would pass. But I have the same anxiety. Part of it's excitement, part fear. And have to have a plan...I  think it's just built into our make up.  Even after 15 years in business, whenever I do a Faux painting job, it's like the first time. Can't help it...  

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.... :0) 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,121
Points 110,575
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 8:39 AM

Diane:
Could we send the blocks on April 1st?  Since we got a late start?
 We already move it to 3/15, but if you need another 2 weeks, why not?  I'm sure the others wouldn't mind.  It'll just give extra time to make it extra pretty.  Does anyone have an objection?

I am very sick today, so I'll be laying low.  I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,121
Points 110,575
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 8:46 AM

Stephanie:
Me too. The part of the circle of life that creeps up on us. It's like in my mind I'm still in my twenties, and yet the mirror and bones tell me otherwise. 

Isn't this the absolute truth?  My mind says spring, but my body says winter, lol.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,067
Points 41,385
Diane replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 9:27 AM

Thanks everyone for giving me more time on the RR.   Linny, hope you feel better soon.  Not nice to be sick on your day off.  :o/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 11:16 AM

Linny t:

I am very sick today, so I'll be laying low.  I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.

Sorry you're not feeling well Linny. Stay in bed and drink plenty of liquids. Have wonderful dreams of stunning embroidery. Or dreams of sunny days with mild temperatures and butterflies on the gentle breeze.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Linny t:
I am very sick today, so I'll be laying low

Sounds like the best plan when you don't feel well.  What a dedicated employee you are.  Waiting for the weekend to be sick.  :)

I have had a busy week and am glad to be curled up in the recliner with the cat by my feet and my laptop in my lap.

I have begun volunteering to visit a shut in once a week for an hour.  This is filling a void left when Mom was called home in October.  Some have called me crazy to make this commitment but I felt this was important and I do not regret my choice. 

At the time I signed up for the visitation I was looking to do another volunteer thing as medical transport for people who either do not drive or do not drive to the "big cities".  I know someone who does this and has found it to be very rewarding.  I did not realize how short of drivers they were at the time or I may not have agreed to the visitation also.  The visitation is a weekly commitment and I have been called to drive someone every week since I started.  My MIL is not happy that I am giving my time to strangers which cuts my time with her short.  As I have said lately, it seems the more I do for her, the more she wants and expects.  This is forcing her to be slightly more independent.

Tim got results of his last MRI on Monday and they were less than we had hoped.  There is a new lesion in his brain and the doctors  are talking about treatments.  We are a little overwhelmed with it but are just letting God be in control.  Not easy to do but if we don't, we would be a mess.  Saving energy for the battles which need our strength.

I visited QATW today and signed up.  Spent some time [a lot of time] wandering around and saw some familiar faces/names.  I signed up and got my profile in order.  I even posted a little.  Site seems to flow a little easier than here but I haven't had a ton of issues here recently either.  So the flow is based on what you ladies are saying you are having.  No CQ that I have found but I put that in my intro so we will see.  Format is different but manageable. 

Spent this weekend working at a fundraiser for Relay For Life.  This is an annual event to raise awareness and funds for the American Cancer Society.  They form teams who walk for 12 hours with sponsors donating for each lap.  A son of a dear friend of mine was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 4 in January, 2009.  He is now in remission and living a fairly normal life.  Since leukemia is also in Tim's past, we try to do all we can to support this family's effort for Relay.  They organized an arts and craft sale with a $5 donation for entry.  All arts and crafts were donated so that all sales were 100% for the team. The donation gave the person a ticket for the door prizes, an opportunity to do a luminary for this year's walk and refreshments.  When it gets dark on Relay day, the luminaries are lite to light the path around the track..  Last night's weather was not friendly and therefore, our sales were minimal.  Today was extremely windy but warmer and people wandered out to see us.  So it was a good event for a good cause but I was ready to come home and relax at the end.

Poor Tim had instant replay [leftovers of last night's crockpot dinner]  He is not fond of instant replay but was very understanding.

Can't wait to see what you ladies do with the RR.  You are inspiring me to get out a UFO which I was embellishing by hand but put away for I do not know what reason.  It is all green fabrics and will be fun to finish.  These trips to doctor appointments are proving to be good opportunities to work on the embellishing.  I have not been brave enough to try ribbon work yet but who knows.  I have several blocks left to do.

Also have a project my cousin has asked me to finish.  It is a quilt his grandmother on the side we do not share started for him when he was born.  She died before he was 5.  Not sure exactly when that was but he turned 63 last November.  I believe it was going to be a Grandmother's Flower Garden.  The fabric is still stable but there are pieces missing and I need to figure out how to mix current fabric with 60+ year old fabric and not look like it is from two eras.  They have a king size bed and would like this to be on the bed when I finish it.  We have discussed putting the completed "flowers" onto a common block with a complimentary sashing and corner blocks.  I will then put enough borders on it to make it big enough for their bed.  They are currently in California so I am trying to become familiar with the process and complete what I can with what I have before purchasing additional fabric.  My cousin's wife thinks I should be able to get 42 blocks.  I will see.  Wish me luck.  If any of you have any advice, I would truly appreciate it.  Hand stitching blocks is not big in my book and the hexagons are so tiny.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 334
Points 9,150

Darlene :
I have had a busy week and am glad to be curled up in the recliner with the cat by my feet and my laptop in my lap

Hi Darlene.......it sounds like the new cat is working out fine.

You are one busy lady! That quilt for your cousin sounds like a BIG job. I sure wouldn't want to tackle it. There is new fabric that is similar to old time fabric; I can't think what the name of it is right at the moment.  In fact a lady just gave me a big box of fabric that has "feed sack" fabric in it and I would gladly send you some.  I will never use all of it if I live to be 100.  If you are interested just give me your mailing address.  My grandmother made my dresses for school out of feed sacks; my grandfather would take me with him and I could pick out the design in the feed sack that I wanted for a dress.  Let me know.

I am so sorry to hear of Tim's results. I will say a prayer that all comes out well.          Hugs, Jo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,995
Points 64,470
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 7:16 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm up and rolling.   I'm in writing mode this weekend.  The kids have been writing stuff for their projects so I'm working on their stuff.   I am not sure I can complete everything I have on my plate this weekend but I've got to give it a try.

Darlene-  So wonderful to hear from you.    I'm so sorry to hear about Tim I'll be praying for you both.   I think it is great that you are volunteering to help this person.   You obviously have a true gift for the elderly.   And it is a blessing that you fulfill for them.  Your cousin's quilt sounds interesting.   Is the fabric anything like the feed sack fabrics?   If so you may  be able to find some vintage stuff on online.  Depending on what they want to spend.

Linny- So sorry to hear that you are sick.  I hope you feel better soon.

Stephanie-- I hope you get to have your dinner with your friends soon.

Lillie--- waiting to the first sounds like a great idea since I can't possibly start on my plans until after state.

Diane--- You are so sweet.  I would love for you to have been there. We did ok but we didn't have the 200 that we hoped for but I think in time it will grow.

Jo--- How's your project coming?

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 9:31 AM

Darlene, so nice to have you back with us.

I'm so sorry to hear of Tim's results. I'll be praying for you and him.

Wonder what kind of fabric was popular 60 years ago? They have so many great reproductions these day, surely you can find something. I googled 50's fabrics and found this.  50's fabrics  Hope the link works.  You could also use plain fabric for sashing and borders and give it a more modern look. Can't wait to see what your finished project turns out.

I have no advice about hand stitching the blocks together. It seems like a lot of work  and my hands would not be happy.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 10:37 AM

Darlene,

So good to hear from You. May God Bless you for taking on the responsibilities you have taken on for helping those in need.  I hope you will have some good experiences along the way. An meet some wonderful endearing people.

Good for you checking out the QATW site. I popped over, but really don't have time right now to start over some where new. I've been able to access this one lately going thru my Google history.

The GFG quilt is going to be a huge undertaking for you. I started one years ago, and didn't really know what I was doing and it quickly ended up in a lidded basket. Linny's done one, so she'll probably be able to give you some advice. I saw Moda has come out with a whole line of fabrics that include shirtings with tiny flours, etc that may help. I don't remember the name of the collection. If you wish to post a pic, I'd be willing to help you search for something.

I'm so sorry to hear that Tim has developed a new lesion. I'll certainly include him in my prayers.

Take care and thank you for checking in and sharing.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 10:45 AM

Norma Doll:
 My grandmother made my dresses for school out of feed sacks; my grandfather would take me with him and I could pick out the design in the feed sack that I wanted for a dress.

Such a neat memory Jo. Yesterday a good friend and I went to a quilt show and one of the vendor booth's had feed sack fabric and lots of vintage stuff. I'd heard mention of these, but never got a chance to actually see them. I was really surprised to see how pretty they were. My friend found some pieced vintage dresden plates and had to have enough to make a quilt.  She also had two gallon size zip loc bags of carded vintage buttons. Bet you can't guess who bought those and found a new home for them. LOL 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 11:35 AM

Linny t:
I love how you describe it as an "honor"  working for your long time friend.

There are people in this life that give more of themselves than they will ever receive. I  honor them,  admire them and cherish them in my heart .  People like that make me want to be a better person. Hope you're feeling a bit better today. 

What a super day I'm having! I've been taking fabric out of bins, folding it and carefully placing it in cabinets. The doors are still open and  I'm sitting here typing, and looking up at the pretty stash I have. Not all of it,  Some is in drawers.

I've managed to purge another 5 trash bags full of stuff I'll never use in a lifetime. And filled some boxes for donation. Mike's been out in the garage again this weekend doing his own organize and get rid of stuff. Already, it's made such a difference in our attitudes and drive to keep going. Love it!

I had given myself until noon and now it's rest time. Since I started at 6 am, it's a fair day's work I think. Last July when my brother was visiting I had cabinets stacked everywhere and so many boxes piled into the spare rooms that I could hardly get around. Now everything's placed, and the boxes have whittled down to where everything has a place and I'll have some room left over. The only thing left to do is build my display shelf, stain and finish two counter tops and paint. This project has taken me around two years, and it's great to be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel for it. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed it. It's been a challenge, and a little heartbreaking to let some stuff go. But I've taken memory pic's, and there's no longer a reason to hold onto some of the stuff taking up valuable storage space. Especially things like big picture framed posters that'll never be hung again. Lots of books that I can read online. 25 tablecloths? 15 sets of sheets? 10 suitcases? 50 vcr movies that we don't have a player for anymore.  Really? I'm thinking my son may have been right in thinking I was a hoarder. LOL

Anyway, a nap is in order and then it's sew time.....

Page 81 of 198 (2963 items) «Prev7980818283Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use