rated by 0 users
This post has 3,834 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 4:56 PM

Norma Doll:
I ordered a new cutting mat and some other goodies. As soon as I get them I am going to start sewing. I saw some strip pieced/stuffed square Christmas ornaments on line and I think I will make some of them only make hearts for my kids/grandkids. So they have a keepsake from me; I thought hearts because of my surgery. I will put the year on them also.  BIG plans, I hope I get them done.   Hugs, Jo

Jo, it's good to hear you talking about creative plans again.  Seems like you always have projects going and I've missed hearing all about them.  I love the idea of the hearts because of your surgery and that the family will each have a keepsake from you, too.  Lovely.  Can't wait to see pics of them.  You always make the prettiest things.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 5:09 PM

Stephanie:

Diane:
So does this mean the everyone will end up with 3 ornaments each?  I would love to see the pattern.

Actually two, unless we make one for ourselves.

I don't suppose there's any harm in posting the pattern. I've made it so it's a mirror image and can be stitched all at one time and then folded in half. It's an elf stocking.

Hopefully it'll post before this computer freezes on me again. 

Thanks for sharing your pattern, Stephanie.  You have such a creative mind and what a great idea to eliminate the long seam up the back.  That makes for so much more continuity in the patches.  I can hardly wait to see them in fabric.  I'm getting so excited.

I started the second one this week and last night got some stitching done on it.  I don't know if I'll have time to make one for myself before Christmas, but I'm going to try.

I surely hope your 2 fur babies are feeling better and it doesn't spread to the others.  Two of them is bad enough.  Sounds like some kind of bug they're sharing with each other.  Thank goodness they don't all have it at the same time, right?  It's good they don't need vet care, too.  Still, too bad they have to have it, especially at Christmas time.  Is Otis sick, too?

Linny T

• Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 5:12 PM

Darlene, if you're out there reading the posts occasionally, just want you to know I'm thinking about you.  You're in my prayers.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 9:21 PM

Stephanie----I love the pattern.  You always come up with great things with your great imagination.  Glad to hear you are able to get work done at the church with pleasant people there.  All people who sew are happy to be together doing just that.

Robin--I went through terrible empty nest syndrome.  If it hadn't been for my cat, I don't know what I would have done.

Linny--you are proof that kids do come back when they need you.  My daughter used to come back after being in the psyc hospital for 2 weeks.  I don't know exactly why she did it because she lives with her best friend.  She did that 3 times.  It just takes some time to get used to it.  I used to be so happy when she left after those 2 weeks!  I never thought I would be that way!

The cleaning lady came today.  She really does a good job.  I was working too, doing my laundry.  I don't have muscle pain too often but now I have muscle strain and I get tired a lot and have to sit down an pace myself.

Have a good night everyone!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 9:25 PM

Jo--thanks for the compliments about my work.  I had to do a lot on the block because there was a lot of space left and only one more person left to work on it.  I put crystals on the lace motifs after stitching them with gold thread.   I am not satisfied with the flowers near the butterfly but after ripping it out 3 times, I just lit it go as it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Thank you all for the super compliments. I'm excited for you to see the finals. It was just one of those things that popped in and wouldn't pop out until I'd tried it. LOL

Linny t:
I started the second one this week and last night got some stitching done on it.  I don't know if I'll have time to make one for myself before Christmas, but I'm going to try.

I'm excited to see what you are doing too! I got in 10 hours yesterday on the second one, and just loved doing it. Still not finished though. I doubt if I'll have time to do one for myself either. Before Christmas that is.

Linny t:
 Sounds like some kind of bug they're sharing with each other.  Thank goodness they don't all have it at the same time, right?

I think it is a flu type bug. Otherwise it seems that they'd all be sick, since they eat the same stuff. I'd have to move if they all had it at the same time. LOL. Otis just got over been going thru a hairball spell.  Been a "fun" week, but they're worth it. 

Speaking of Otis, he'll be 17 on the 23rd. Hard to believe we've been blessed with him for so many years.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Diane:
All people who sew are happy to be together doing just that.

They were having a ball sewing and talking about where the quilts and projects were going to go

Diane:
The cleaning lady came today.  She really does a good job.  I was working too, doing my laundry.  I don't have muscle pain too often but now I have muscle strain and I get tired a lot and have to sit down an pace myself.

That's wonderful for you that the cleaning lady came. Do you think your recent trip to town has brought on the pain? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 8 2013 7:51 AM

My plan for Christmas gifts has been the same thing for over 6 years now. The kids in Japan get checks. My sista and bro-in-law get gift cards. And my nieces and nephews get checks as well. Easy peasy. I sometimes make additional gifts for my sista. But, she really doesn't have anywhere to put them. You know how it is when you get older. You see something you want/like and buy it. My sista changes the color scheme of her tree every year. I never know what colors she's using from year to year. I could make her some crazy quilt ornaments that she can hang on the walls every year. I'll wait until I see pics of all your ornaments and maybe I'll start on mine in Jan!  lol

Speaking of the empty nest. I think it is rather uncomfortable the first year. After the first year you find things to do with their old rooms. And then you find things to do with your new life. By the end of the second year you'll be saying "yeh I kicked them to the curb when they graduated high school."

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 8 2013 7:53 AM

Norma Doll:
I ordered a new cutting mat and some other goodies. As soon as I get them I am going to start sewing. I saw some strip pieced/stuffed square Christmas ornaments on line and I think I will make some of them only make hearts for my kids/grandkids. So they have a keepsake from me; I thought hearts because of my surgery. I will put the year on them also.  BIG plans, I hope I get them done.   Hugs, Jo

Jo, I think your plans for the hearts is so personal and sweet. They will make lovely keepsakes for your family.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 8 2013 7:58 AM

I must have missed the instructions for putting this ornament together. I have no idea what you're talking about for the long seam in the back. 8-(

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Lillie:

I must have missed the instructions for putting this ornament together. I have no idea what you're talking about for the long seam in the back. 8-(

Lillie,

Since the ornament was done in one piece, not two halves, it just folds over in the center eliminating the need to be seamed all the way around. To make one, I made two copies of the original to cut templates out for fabric, then I  Placed a large piece of muslin over the original and traced the pattern with a superfine sharpie marker onto it.

It's really laid out similar to paper piecing. When you use the templates for the pieces, make sure to have plenty of seam allowance.  Starting with one I put the fabric down, and then with piece two match up the seam drop a pin in and fold it back to test to make sure the area is covered. At this point I flipped the piece over, just like paper piecing and stitched the line from the back. Once it's down, I pulled the pin, trimmed the seam line of extra fabric, and pressed the fabric in place. Then, onto piece three and on.

When everything is  pieced, and embellished  I flipped it over and cut around the piece leaving roughly a half inch seam allowance. I then take a piece of heavy weight purse type stabilizer and cut it to the size of the original pattern. Lay it so it matches the lines on the muslin. Then fold your seam allowances over the stabilizer and glue baste into place. Once the edges are in tact, fold the ornament with the stabilizer in and whip stitch around the open edges. Easy, peasy.

The only tough spot is around the toe. I has to be cut carefully to have enough fabric to fold over. I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics of the process if you'd seriously like to make one. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 8 2013 6:41 PM

It's so fun to pop in and read the posts.  I love to see you guys chatting.

Today I went Christmas shopping with Barb.  We had a good time.  It was like old times when we'd shop.  We had a nice lunch at Panera and finished off the day with a visit to Michaels.  They had the Martha Stewart jewelry components on sale for 70% off.  I got some pretty charms, a couple of lockets and other things.  I got 90% of my shopping done and will be mailing off a check to my NY daughter this week.

I feel good about Christmas now.  I don't know why I was so stressed by it last week.  It seemed bigger than me then.  

Lillie, that was so funny about saying you kicked them to the curb after HS graduation, lol.  Too funny.

Diane, glad you've got a clean house moving forward to the serious holidays.  I'm lucky with Audra in that we get along pretty good.  I do miss having my space, though.  Geesh, I remember saying how lonely I was living alone.  

Stephanie, I wish I'd had 10 hours yesterday.  Sounds like you made a lot of progress.  I did end up staying awake until around 1 AM working on it.  It's nice to sew when it's quiet.  Today I slept until 9AM.  I went to the grocery and then Barb came at 11, so no sewing yet.  I'm going to do that next.  I am getting excited to see one of those little things in person.  It looks so adorable with that little curled up toe.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Dec 8 2013 7:31 PM

Jo--what a great idea to make hearts for the grands.  I'm sure they will treasure them.

Lillie--I like your Christmas list---nice and easy.

Stephanie--it's interesting how you made the ornaments.  I don't know if I would have used a pattern.  You are good!

Linny-nice to hear that you and Barb are out running around again.  Shopping is so much fun! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 5:47 AM

Oh, I think I understand. Is the ornament embellished on both sides, front and back? Or just the front? I think that is where I became confused. I was thinking it was a double sided ornament.

Oh I think I just figured it out. The pattern is designed to be folded in-half after it's embellished. Did you just whip stitch the seams together when it was completed? Then you can add additional stitches to hide the whip stitch. I have to make some for next year.

Thanks!

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Lillie:
The pattern is designed to be folded in-half after it's embellished.

Yes, you got it.  And yes, the seams are whip stitched after that. I haven't really found a need to hide the whip stitches. With the bulk of the stabilizer and all the embellishment, you'd really have to be examining it to notice them. If you are serious about making one, I will send you a paper copy of the pattern. I don't think it would print properly from the pic.    

Page 29 of 256 (3835 items) «Prev2728293031Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use