My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,076 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t Posted: Fri, Oct 18 2013 8:48 PM

Let's see if this helps out with our posting problems.

Stephanie, I just can't imagine hanging cabinets by myself.  You are such a little carpenter!  

Lillie, I'd love to see pics of those blocks if you can manage it.  I love the traditional stuff, too.

Robin, my daughter in NY called me today, asking me how she was.  She's been insisting she's 38 for awhile now.  Today she finally did the right math and realized she's 39.  She was so upset, but I told her I of all people would know what year she was born.  She's all concerned that she's almost 40.  I can't tell you what that does to me.  How can it be that my child is almost 40 and I'm still so young, lol.  I still remember when she moved out.  One bit of advise for you is to have an "empty nest" strategy.  You have to fill that void...mostly the one in your head.  

Diane, I'd love to see pics of your silks, too.  How's baby Travis.  Is it okay to nick name you Dragon Lady?

Lillie, be sure to read my last post in My Day 2.

Jo, how did you decide to handle your sewing assignment?

Darlene, you holding up okay?  Sending hugs and prayers your way...

Barb had another pet scan today and good news is that it doesn't look like the cancer has grown or spread.  There is one tiny spot near her sternum that is so faint and small they won't call it cancer, so no treatments of any kind at least for a couple of months.  The poor dear is afraid to hope.  We had a long talk about living the life you have now and not looking down the road and worrying what tomorrow brings.  It's funny that we live our whole lives looking and planning ahead.  It's hard to consider just living now, isn't it?  n the end she decided there wasn't much she could do to change it, not knowing, so she was going to focus on the positives.  We're going shopping and to lunch tomorrow to celebrate.

Linny T

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,793
Stephanie replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 6:02 AM

Linny t:
I just can't imagine hanging cabinets by myself.

That's the hardest part of it. I used a wooden box to sit them on to be able to screw them into the wall. But I'm definitely getting too old to handle the weight of lifting the cabinets  onto the box. I have to be on a ladder to do it, and the lift and twist action is hard on a bad back. Fortunately, this is my last project of it's kind and I'm thankful that I was able to do it and it's over.   

Linny t:
Barb had another pet scan today and good news is that it doesn't look like the cancer has grown or spread.

That's great news.

Linny t:
We had a long talk about living the life you have now and not looking down the road and worrying what tomorrow brings.  It's funny that we live our whole lives looking and planning ahead.  It's hard to consider just living now, isn't it?  n the end she decided there wasn't much she could do to change it, not knowing, so she was going to focus on the positives.

I know this is, and has been a tough road for you both and it really moves me that you've had a chance to talk about it and have her respond to focusing on the positives. It seems the older I get the more I believe that every day is a gift. As hard as they may be sometimes, there are moments in every one that made it worth living for.  

Thank you for starting the new thread. Hopefully it'll solve our issues.

Have a great day today!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 7:41 AM

Linny t:

Lillie, I'd love to see pics of those blocks if you can manage it.  I love the traditional stuff, too.

I didn't take pics of all the blocks. WHAT was I thinking??!!!?!?!  lol

Linny t:

Robin, my daughter in NY called me today, asking me how she was.  She's been insisting she's 38 for awhile now.  Today she finally did the right math and realized she's 39.  She was so upset, but I told her I of all people would know what year she was born.  She's all concerned that she's almost 40.  I can't tell you what that does to me.  How can it be that my child is almost 40 and I'm still so young, lol.  I still remember when she moved out.  One bit of advise for you is to have an "empty nest" strategy.  You have to fill that void...mostly the one in your head.  

Before my son left home I planned a trip for for my ex and I. Two days after my son left home, we were on a cruise ship. We were gone for about 1 week. By the time we got home I was used to him being gone. They whole thing was very easy for me because of all the distractions of the cruise. About 1 year after he was gone I really started missing him.  lol  Isn't that strange?

Linny t:

Diane, I'd love to see pics of your silks, too.  How's baby Travis.  Is it okay to nick name you Dragon Lady?

Love that nickname!

Linny t:

Barb had another pet scan today and good news is that it doesn't look like the cancer has grown or spread.  There is one tiny spot near her sternum that is so faint and small they won't call it cancer, so no treatments of any kind at least for a couple of months.  The poor dear is afraid to hope.  We had a long talk about living the life you have now and not looking down the road and worrying what tomorrow brings.  It's funny that we live our whole lives looking and planning ahead.  It's hard to consider just living now, isn't it?  n the end she decided there wasn't much she could do to change it, not knowing, so she was going to focus on the positives.  We're going shopping and to lunch tomorrow to celebrate.

That is wonderful news about Barb. Enjoy your sista time!

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 7:45 AM

Linny t:

I can't find it. sorry Linny

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 8:07 AM

Lillie:

Linny t:

Here you go, Lillie.

I can't find it. sorry Linny

Lillie, I absolutely love your work on my block and on all the others.  On Diane's block I thought it was so clever and fresh looking.  Like Stephanie I couldn't believe it was your first work.

I saw that snow on the weather today and though, "Oh, I bet Lillie is happy."

I've been unable to get online until now.  My next post will be starting My Day 3, so see ya'll there...

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,084
Points 41,620
Diane replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 11:56 AM

Linny--so sad about Barbara.  My sister went through this for 10 years.  I can only imagine what she went through.  She has you there for her all the way--what a gift she has in you.  Prayers for you both.

I am the Dragon or Lizard lady for sure.  Travis is doing well and I am really learning about him.  There is another one there who wants attention too.  These guys do get jealous sometimes and demand the same attention. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 2:49 PM

Thanks for the prayers, Diane.  We spent some time today shopping at Hobby Lobby and then to Panera for lunch.  She is in her glory walking the isles of a craft store.  Too cute with her little bandanna on.  Her hair hasn't started growing back much.  She has a big patch at the base of her skull and another above her forehead.  The rest of her head is still bald.  She is wondering if it will grow back at all.  With the chemo as soon as she stopped having it her hair grew right back.  This is different.  She has scattered single hairs, but mostly nothing.  I hope it grows back for her.  

Maybe Travis needs to have a playmate?  I bet it's fun to watch them interacting with each other.  I think it's interesting that they all want attention.  They are fascinating little creatures.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 5:42 PM

Linny t:

Lillie, I absolutely love your work on my block and on all the others.  On Diane's block I thought it was so clever and fresh looking.  Like Stephanie I couldn't believe it was your first work.

Thank you Linny. It's so sweet of everyone to encourage me in my stitching.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:56 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Sunday to you all.

Thank you all for the word of support about Keeley's impending departure.   I appreciate all the advice.   Right now we are so wrapped up in the preparations for her going off and living in a dorm that I don't think I've really had a lot of time to think about her not being here and the house being empty.  Of course it really won't be empty for awhile since Laurie is here and will probably be here for another year and a half.   If life goes the way her and Chris have it planned they will get married after he graduates next April and before he heads PT school.  I've tried to convince them to get the schooling done then get married but that's to long to wait.   And I suppose at that age I would have agreed with them.   They'll work it out.   So I guess if Chris ever gets around to popping the questions my distraction will be helping plan a wedding and with Laur that should be a hoot.  

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 6:58 AM

Linny t:

Thanks for the prayers, Diane.  We spent some time today shopping at Hobby Lobby and then to Panera for lunch.  She is in her glory walking the isles of a craft store.  Too cute with her little bandanna on.  Her hair hasn't started growing back much.  She has a big patch at the base of her skull and another above her forehead.  The rest of her head is still bald.  She is wondering if it will grow back at all.  With the chemo as soon as she stopped having it her hair grew right back.  This is different.  She has scattered single hairs, but mostly nothing.  I hope it grows back for her.  

Maybe Travis needs to have a playmate?  I bet it's fun to watch them interacting with each other.  I think it's interesting that they all want attention.  They are fascinating little creatures.

Linny,

I'm so glad to hear that the cancer hadn't spread and that you guys got out this weekend.  I'm sure that it is hard to watch someone so close to you suffer so much and not be able to do much for them.   You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:01 AM

Lillie:

Linny t:

Thank you Linny. It's so sweet of everyone to encourage me in my stitching.

Lillie,

I know I'm late to speak up but I thought your work on each person square was terrific.  You have such a great idea for color and composition.   Your stitches were wonderfully executed.    I'm sure the others in the other rr were equally impressed with your work.   

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,940
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:05 AM

Stephanie,

You amaze me.   I wish I had the courage you display.   I would even attempt to take on such a large task by myself.   I wouldn't know where to begin and I more than likely would botch the whole thing before it was over.   Not to mention having the physical strength and endurance to do something like this.   I realize that you have worked in this profession for years but still I am in awe. 

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:50 AM

Robin:

Stephanie,

You amaze me.   I wish I had the courage you display.   I would even attempt to take on such a large task by myself.   I wouldn't know where to begin and I more than likely would botch the whole thing before it was over.   Not to mention having the physical strength and endurance to do something like this.   I realize that you have worked in this profession for years but still I am in awe. 

Robin

I couldn't have said this better.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,153
Points 111,080
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:53 AM

Robin:

Linny,

I'm so glad to hear that the cancer hadn't spread and that you guys got out this weekend.  I'm sure that it is hard to watch someone so close to you suffer so much and not be able to do much for them.   You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin

Thanks, Robin.  She is dear to my heart, so it's not easy, but I love her too much to show it.  My job is to keep her inspired with creating because that seems to be something that brings her to life and give her something to look forward to each day.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,523
Points 138,793
Stephanie replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:34 PM

Robin:

Stephanie,

Robin

You made me take a look at myself today, and I thank you whole heartedly for  expressing your thoughts. I'd have to take you way back to my inspiration as far as childhood. You'd have seen a young girl with a stepfather that believed that black men would never be great athletes and that a woman's place was barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen.Seriously! LOL I knew when I was eight that he was wrong about black men being good athlete's but the stigma of women followed me like the plague. I did little projects of putting together "affordable" furniture, beds etc when I was younger, but would have never attempted anything else. When I got my license to be a painting contractor 15 years ago and would be on the job I'd literally have the older gents hovering over me making those same comments about this not being women's work. As I am getting older (57 this year) I'd like to think that I was one of those women that have become trendsetters for our younger generation to do whatever they want to do in life, oblivious of what the opinions of the rest of the world are.  Some people work better with their hands than their minds, and maybe some just feel a better sense of accomplishment seeing a transformation in something. That would be where I'd fall in I think. I love to see someone have a dream and make it into a reality. We have to live in our spaces. And, no matter how large or small, I think we can make them into a place that we can make the best from.

I realize that pushing 60 years old,  it's getting time for me to slow down with some of this stuff, but it's been a fun ride. And I think I finally have dispelled the myths of my youth,  that we as women are not "inferior". Truth be known, we most likely pay more attention to detail than most of our counterparts. If I must work until my 80's maybe I'll opt for the design part of Kitchens, library's, closets. My back will appreciate that. LOL

Thank you again.... 

Page 1 of 206 (3077 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use