How Do I Transfer Embellishment designs to wool felt?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi Posted: Wed, May 1 2013 6:58 PM

I am working on this crazy quilt purse....See picture here...... There is a sheet of embellishments tat you are to use (if you like) on the purse. But as you can see my fabrics, wool felts and flannel, with just a bit of cotton fabric, can not take a transfer of their transfer. (?) Are we on the same page?? Cause I am so lost. It would help if I could show you the transfer page, but I guess that is not legal since it is in a magazine.  Do I just try my best to find, online, how to do the stitches required? I do have a  small embroidery book that I can get some directions from. Next to the cram wool on the red check flannel are some flowers I embroidered today. But, the page that has the instructions shows baskets, hearts, beads, etc. Do I follow what  is on the finished product ,they have in a picture, or just do my own thing?

Sukochi

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,463
Points 137,968

Sukochi:
can not take a transfer of their transfer.

I used a transfer paper for a design and it was horrible. It showed up on the light fabric and not on the dark. An alternative would be to trace the design on tracing paper and pin it onto your fabric. You can sew right through it and tear the remainder away.

Linny has several links to some very nice tutorials on stitches in the pages section. I am posting one of our fav's. here for you:  http://www.needlenthread.com/videos

I think as far as using their designs or your own that's up to you, and if you're willing to take the time to search out new designs and embellishments or possibly finish it faster with theirs.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,155
Linny t replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:33 AM

Sukochi, I would say the same as Stephanie with the tracing paper.  I have done that method as well as done a running stitch on the pattern, then ripped the paper out.  With that as an outline I could fill in with stitches.  Another method is *** and pounce like they do on quilt patterns.  Your work so far is pretty.  You could go your own way and put purchased lace motifs or applique motifs on it to get around stitching until you learn how.  CQ is very versatile and you can do whatever your little heart desires.  Make it your own, is my advise.  I like the color pallet.  It's going to be pretty. 

Mary Corbet's Needle 'n Thread is my favorite for learning stitches because she has videos and the different ones are all indexed so you can find a particular one easily.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,051
Points 41,080
Diane replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:09 PM

Linny t:
have done that method as well as done a running stitch on the pattern, then ripped the paper out.  With that as an outline I could fill in with stitches

Great idea Linny.  I have wondered how to transfer some designs when the transfer ink doesn't work.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use