Victorian Charm Round Robin

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,555
Linny t Posted: Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:14 PM

Well, here it is.  Our second Round Robin.  We had so much fun with our Cute as a Button RR, that I can hardly wait to start this one.  We will start assembling our blocks and journals on May 1 and have them mailed out by June 1st.  

This time around some of us are making an object and not just a block, so that'll be a little more fun.  Also we're including pics or drawings of elements we would like to see included in our journals to give each other a clue of where we're going with our concept of the finished object.

With those exceptions, the guidelines are basically the same and are as follows:

• Blocks will be approx. 144 sq. in, and can be in the shape of the finished project.  Try to keep them to approx. 144 sq. in. total.

• Blocks should be backed with a cotton fabric like muslin.

• The pattern of the finished project, if any, should be clearly marked on the block showing where decorative stitches stop.

• Fabrics can be made from any type---silk, cotton, linen, polyester, etc.

• The bare block must be placed in a plastic bag and kept in the bag when a person is not working on the block.

• The owner's name, address, and phone number should be on the back of the block and on the plastic bag.

• A booklet will be placed in the bag for stitchers to make notes about what they did on the block. There is at least one page for each stitcher to write on.  The owner of the block writes first to make personal notes about the block.  This time around we are adding pics or drawings of some of the things we have envisioned for our blocks in the first pages.  These should be limited to ideas for elements and not to finished projects we've seen somewhere.  If you want to post a pic of the finished object you had in mind, you can do that in this thread, but it's not necessary.

• The booklet is generally made from folded 9" x 11" sized paper (stapled, stitched or glued together) and the cover should be somewhat heavier paper like construction paper.  A small purchased notebook is fine.

• The booklet must contain a list of the participants in the order that the block is sent.  You always mail to the same person; the person after you on the list.  The last person on the list sends to the first person on the list.  The name and email address of the stitch angel will be included in the list.

• You post a picture of the bare block that you send out and then of each block after you finish your work, just before you pass them on to the next person to show the work that you did on the block. You post it for the group to see in this thread and also in Media.  Also notify the group when you send or receive a block.

• The block should be mailed in time so the next stitcher gets the block by the first of the next month after you received it.

• If there are any problems during the round robin, the stitch angel must be notified immediately so that a solution can be made.

• Remember that this will be mailed so lightweight is always considerate.

Last time we had a separate thread where we posted pics, but after awhile it became where we had discussions that followed after the comments on the pics and it was like having 2 threads to follow discussions, so I think we'll not do that this time.  This time we'll post them in Media and this thread only.

Any suggestions are, as always, very welcome.

So, let the games begin!

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:24 PM

Is this a 14-inch X 14-inch block? Or a 10-inch X 18-inch rectangle?

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,555
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:26 PM

Lillie, the idea is somewhat flexible since we're all making different things.  It can be oblong or round or oval or whatever, just as long as it's pretty much the area we did on the last block or close.  I'm sure we'll all have different shapes and sizes.  What size do you need yours to be?

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 6:03 PM

Linny---so 144" can be a 12" square block or a 10" by 14"  which is 140".

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,555
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 6:33 PM

That's right, Diane.  It can be whatever shape you need it to be.  I was just trying to put some kind of definition of the max. size.  It's not a hard science or anything.  Last time we did 12" x 12" which is 144 sq. in., so the same size or there abouts.  Just doesn't have to be the same shape.  If some one needs it to be a couple of inches bigger to make their project work, I don't think anyone will mind.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Sat, May 4 2013 6:50 AM

Looks good to me.    Now I just have to get started and organized.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

I got my purse frame yesterday. It's actually attached to an old purse that I'm going to take apart. I'm going to use the top of it for a pattern to fit into the frame. That is if I can get the old one off without damaging it. Getting excited just thinking about it....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,555
Linny t replied on Fri, May 10 2013 11:03 AM

I missed this post, darn it.  How cool, Stephanie.  I still have to order my frame, if you can believe it.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Fri, May 10 2013 11:21 AM

I want to let you all know that I won't be able to participate in this round robin.  The reason is that I am in 2 RR's right now and I want to get this work quilt done and out of my house!  I can do it in September I think because that's my goal for the work quilt.  I will be jealous watching you all!

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,555
Linny t replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:42 PM

I"m sorry to hear that, Diane.  We'll certainly miss you joining in.  I sure hope you'll follow along with us.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:46 PM

Diane:

I want to let you all know that I won't be able to participate in this round robin.  The reason is that I am in 2 RR's right now and I want to get this work quilt done and out of my house!  I can do it in September I think because that's my goal for the work quilt.  I will be jealous watching you all!

Oh Diane. Dang it that you won't be able to participate this time. But, we'll do another one, I hope, and maybe you can participate in that one.

My Whisper RR and FFT#25 RR (Fabulous First Timers #25) are finally underway. I have finished my Whisper block but have not started on the FFT. The Whisper is due to be mailed out June 1. The FFT has a start sewing date of June 1, mail July 1.

When is our Victorian due to be mailed out? Did we decide July? Too many things on my plate I can't remember all the dates at all right now. Sorry ladies. 

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, May 10 2013 6:12 PM

Diane:
The reason is that I am in 2 RR's right now and I want to get this work quilt done and out of my house!  I can do it in September I think because that's my goal for the work quilt.  I will be jealous watching you all!

I'm going to miss you being in, but I certainly understand. Look forward to September....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, May 10 2013 6:14 PM

Lillie:
When is our Victorian due to be mailed out?

June 1st for this one too. You're going to be a busy lady.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, May 11 2013 6:31 AM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
When is our Victorian due to be mailed out?

June 1st for this one too. You're going to be a busy lady.

I'll have a little over 1 week to get it sewn together and mailed out. I can do that, I hope.  lol And I really want to wait to put it together cuz I'm hoping to find some beautiful fabric in Italy.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Sat, May 11 2013 7:21 AM

Oh Diane I'm so sorry you want me able to be with us, but I totally understand.  I'm having such a hard time deciding on my end project I can get started.   But I'm sure something will pop in my brain soon.

Robin

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use