rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,143
Points 42,725
Diane replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:45 PM

Hi Everyone 

It's so quiet today in this group!  Yesterday, I looked at Evening Star Designs that Lillie posted and it got me going. lol  It made me think of the silk I bought from Ribbonsmyth  a while back and how beautiful it made my new blocks look.  I ordered lots of 6x9 pieces.  The other day I went on Ebay and looked for a long time.  I finally found what I wanted--1" or smaller  cotton lace with no edge---I mean with the decorative edging on both sides.

It has been pretty dreary here with the weather.  I had to have a nap today and it kind of threw me off.  I was sitting in my chair trying to do stuff and kept falling asleep.  I tried to keep working but couldn't.  I hope I can get to sleep tonight.

Lillie--sounds like you had a great vacation.  I have heard about the beauty of Oregon.  People there must love to sew with a ware house of fabric.  We don't have anything like that here.  Even our largest fabric store has moved and downsized. I usually get things online anyway.  But, I do remember how wonderful it was to go into that large fabric store.  They had one section with just cotton fabrics, mostly prints for quilting.  Also they had very expensive fabric up to $250.00 a yard. They had classes--still do I think and there were always beautiful quilts in the windows.  I use to love the remnants. 

Have a nice evening everyone!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Lillie,

Your trip to Oregon to visit your friend sounds heavenly. I can't hink of anything, or anywhere I'd rather be right now than surrounded by nurseries, grape vines and trees. And maybe a few apples, yellow mums, sunflowers, and pumpkins too. I'd love tro see some pic's of the quilt shows, fabric stores, and button stores you visited if you have any to share. 

I found some fabric that I thought might make a pretty focal for an under the sea block, but it's hard to tell unless it's in person. Here's a link. 

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0289926/island-sanctuary-sea-tropical-fish-cobalt

Being down herein the middle of nowhere, I haven't heard of Tilllamook. The cheese and ice cream sound amazing and it's unbelievable that they ship over a million punds of chees a week! We're in the wrong business!!!! Contemplating a move to Oregon. LOL

I have purchased online many times from Fabric Depot. Get their newsletters weekly.My, oh my, what a place to visit! As big as Home Depot. Too cool.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Diane:
It's so quiet today in this group!  Yesterday, I looked at Evening Star Designs that Lillie posted and it got me going. lol  It made me think of the silk I bought from Ribbonsmyth  a while back and how beautiful it made my new blocks look.  I ordered lots of 6x9 pieces.

Oh Diane, I can so relate. Linny first led me to the ESD site, and it's really hard to find being able to get pieces of the wonderful silks in color combinations elsewhere. Hope you post pic's of your finds.

Sorry to hear about your dreary weather and feeling the need to nap. I sleep so much during the rains that I feel like life passes me by. The low carb diet has helped a ton. Instead of napping 3 hours on my days off, and just aching for the best part of it, it's turned around to less than an hour nap and being on an aspirin remedy( BC powders mixed with my last 1/4 Mtn Dew. LOL)  has me waking up with so much less pain.Instead of spending a good part of the morning confined to  a chair I've been able to physically, and mentally get up and "Get going again." Seriously, I don't know if it's low carbs, or being out of pain from the aspirin, but my moods have been elevated, and pain is so tolerable. Well, who knows really? Maybe it's just God's way of being good to me. Maybe I've been wishing it so and it's worked, But there's that little something inside of me that want's to help everyone by sharing.

I'll keep an eye out for sites with our fancy fabrics. I've seen some deals on Etsy too from time to time. I know you are a saavy shopper too, so let us know....

Have a nice evening too. Hugs....

Steph   

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,795
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 9:31 PM

That fabric is gorgeous, Stephanie.  Thanks for sharing the link.  You could do so much with it.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,079
Points 66,550
Robin replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 5:09 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Thursday is here and it's time to get up and get going.    Wish I could go......back to bed, so sleepy.

Well, this week has taken a nasty little turn.  Laurie was in a wreck on Tuesday night so yesterday began the long process of seeing what we need to do in order to get her car fix.  The first estimate is 4200.00.  It's a guy here in Madison but since he is the only one in our small down we figure that we probably need to try some of the large towns near by where they have some competition, before making the decision as to what to do.    But like I told her it's just a car just so thankful she was not harmed nor was the gentleman that she hit. 

Linny,  Flat my ornament is 51/2 X 6.  

Diane,  Sorry that you are having a weary spell.  They are the worst.  I know that pressure changing alters my mood alot.

Stephanie,  Sorry for your aches and pains.  Some of it probably does have to do with your diet change but if you can fight your way through it  your body will adjust to the change in chemistry.

Lillie,  Your trip sounds wonderful.   A good friend, quilt shops, the beach, fall coloring and the joy of escape sounds awesome.

Seems like we needed this quote.

Wood quilt sign. I love this quote

Have a great day everyone,

Robin

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:12 AM

Robin,

I'm so happy to hear that Laurie and the person she had the accident with were not injured. Wow, what a whopper estimate! Hope you can find somewhere less expensive to repair it for you. 

Love your quote of the day. Makes me smile to think of it...

The weather outside today is drop dead gorgeous. Makes me want to go out and play. LOL. At this age my form of playing would be to wash some windows, do some yard work, and maybe toss a ball or two to the fur babies. They need the exercise and will be thrilled to spend a couple hours outside. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 7:46 AM

Stephanie:

I found some fabric that I thought might make a pretty focal for an under the sea block, but it's hard to tell unless it's in person. Here's a link. 

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0289926/island-sanctuary-sea-tropical-fish-cobalt

Being down herein the middle of nowhere, I haven't heard of Tilllamook. The cheese and ice cream sound amazing and it's unbelievable that they ship over a million punds of chees a week! We're in the wrong business!!!! Contemplating a move to Oregon. LOL

I have purchased online many times from Fabric Depot. Get their newsletters weekly.My, oh my, what a place to visit! As big as Home Depot. Too cool.

Stephanie, I love the fish fabric. I think it will be great as a focal piece.

Now I totally did not know you could order online from Fabric Depot. I'll have to go check out the web site and sign up for the newsletter.  lol

I did not take too many pictures and none of the stores we went too.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 354
Points 9,595

Robin:
Well, this week has taken a nasty little turn

I am so sorry to hear about Laurie's wreck;  thank heavens no one was hurt. In our small town the independent people's prices are lower than in the large towns. We try to support them, because if we don't there may come a time that they aren't here when you need them. 

I have been reading the posts every day, but just haven't had much to say or time to do it, I guess.  I have PT twice a week and I have been making "baby things" for the girl at our church that is having a baby next month. The ladies from church are having a baby shower for her Oct. 20. I hope a lot of people come. They are fairly new to our church and she is real shy, so a lot of people don't know them. I have been here 10 years and there are still people on the other side of the church that I don't know.  They live in our neighborhood so we have gotten to know them, plus they are in George's new convert class on Sun. mornings.  Hugs, Jo

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Robin:
this week has taken a nasty little turn.  Laurie was in a wreck on Tuesday night

Robin, so sorry to hear about Laurie's wreck.  You have the right thoughts.  Cars can be fixed or replaced.  People cannot. 

Thank God she was not hurt and that the driver of the other car is also alright.

Love your quote.  Thanks for these words today.  I needed them.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Stephanie:
Finally a day at home for me!

Stephanie, so glad to hear that you had a day to catch up on things that need to be done and hoping that you also had some time for your ornaments.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Lillie:
My trip to Oregon was wonderful

Lillie, so glad you had a wonderful trip to Oregon.  I was in Portland June 2009 for a convention and really loved the city.   Because I flew and did not rent a car (plus the convention time constraints) I did not get to venture out and see much.  But I enjoyed the time I had and would love to return again some day when I can have a less structured visit.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Diane:
I could sell them in a week when they are 6 weeks old

Diane, the dragons are so adorable.  I wish you luck selling them.

As others have said, I love to read the stories of your pets and hope you are able to continue to share with us.  It brightens my day.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Diane:
I could sell them in a week when they are 6 weeks old

Diane, the dragons are so adorable.  I wish you luck selling them.

As others have said, I love to read the stories of your pets and hope you are able to continue to share with us.  It brightens my day.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 10:09 AM

Norma Doll:
Darlene, sorry about your mother; I have heard that often the hip breaks and they fall, not the other way around.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding Mom's fall.

Doctors are pretty sure that she fell and then the hip broke.  She "bounced" off some furniture and then hit the floor.  My dad fell in the fall of 2010 and the doctor believes his hip was broken which caused the fall.  Mom got up suddenly and lost her balance.  She fell forward into the dresser, went sideways into the chest of drawers and then back to the dresser before landing on the floor.

Her health issues had caused her to loose a significant amount of weight and she was 80 pounds fully dressed with sneakers on the last she was weighed.  To compound things, she was severely dehydrated when she was taken to the hospital.  They needed to push fluids in order to be able to safely do surgery to repair the break.  Surgery was done the day after she fell. 

Unfortunately her body could not handle all the extra fluids and she was called home to be with her Savior and Lord early last Thursday. 

As you can imagine, the last week has been a whirlwind for me--planning her service and cleaning out her apartment.  Because she lived in senior housing, we have 30 days to remove everything and clean it.  I have come to realize that my mother was quite a clothes horse.  She also loved her jewelry.  Some has been distributed to family and I will need to decide what to do with the balance.  We were able to donate her clothes to a couple of really good charities locally which will be able to use them.  I took a lot of the more memorable things and am in the process of preparing to make memory quilts for my brothers and the grandchildren.  This will be a painful process but also will be good for me.  She had some really nice things which I told her numerous times I would have someday.  Little did I know this would be the time.

My brothers are all struggling with regrets because they did not make our mother a priority in their lives.  I am thankful to say that because she lived a block away and I paid attention to the way she treated her parents when I was young, I have no regrets.  I miss her every day but know that her suffering is over and that she is in a better place.

Market season is ended and I must say I am glad.  The weather was less than friendly this year.  It rained every other week  The weeks it was not raining, it was hot and sunny.  I got a really deep tan this year.  Even got some color on my legs this year.  The weeks I put the tent up, sales were half of the weeks the sun was shining.  Don't fully understand the logic but the figures don't lie.

I sold fewer quilts this year but sold a lot of little things.  I met a new customer who we loving refer to as the "quilt guy"  He was driving thru the city and passed the market on a day when the sun was shining and my colors were fully in bloom.  He drove around the block and came back to see what was going on.  He purchased a quilt that day.  The next week he called me to see if I would be in the same spot again that week.  When I told he yes, he admitted that he did not know where he had stopped to buy the quilt but knew that he wanted another .  He traveled thru our city each Thursday for business and knew that he had stopped along the way but not exactly where. LOL!!    During the course of the market, he purchased three quilts and a couple other small things.  He would beep his horn each week as he drove by and wave.  I think I have a  customer for life  Last quilt was a custom creation.

I have spent little time in the dungeon creating because of all the other happenings in my life.  I did feel called to go down last night to stitch but didn't get much done.  I am taking tonight off to go to "Pink Hatters Ladies Night Out" to support Breast Cancer Research.   It is an annual event which includes dinner and an inspirational talk about the importance of research.  We have a group of 5 going this year. a dear friend of mine has taken a hat from Mom's closet and refashioned it with pink for me to wear tonight.  Not normally a hat person but making an exception tonight in honor of a dear lady.

Hope you all are having a beautiful Fall day with some creative time included.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,795
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 11:21 AM

Robin, I'm sorry Laurie had that happen, but thankful that no one was injured.  Hope you can find a cheaper repair and she gets back on the road fast.  I hope it wasn't too traumatising for her, or you for that matter.

I really love your little graphic....Master Craftsman...how lovely.

Linny T

Page 138 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev136137138139140Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use