rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:31 PM

Hi Everyone

I am still having some problems getting on Yahoo but I have figured it out.

The dragons are growing fast!  They are all different sizes.  I am having  some problems getting enough crickets but some are in the mail now.  Meanwhile they are eating kale with vitamins.  As I said--they are growing. The owner of the pet store isn't sure that he wants to sell them for me.  I'm thinking of advertising in our local paper which sends the ad out to other papers.  I once got a room mate from Mass that way!  

We had a second quilting bee and finished the quilt!!!!!!  Now I will go to the laundromat and wash in one of those large washers and bring it to the owner and get my money!  People have told me that he has gotten a good deal and I should have charged 2x's as much but at the time $250 came to my mind.  Even machine quilters charge $300 and up.  Anyway it's a big weight off of my shoulders.

Lillie---sounds like you have been busy!  Good thing you have Stephanie to give you pointers.  You are taking on a lot.

Robin---I hope you are having a grand time.

Stephanie---how is you blood sugar? Are you checking it yet?  How's the diet going?

I hope you all have a great weekend.  I'm going to church tomorrow I hope!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:04 PM

Lillie:

Thank you Linny. The book club was a huge success. I served bangers (sausage - mine were turkey so I could eat them also) chips (fries-potato wedges with lemon and rosymary) raw veggies with dips, cheese and crackers, and a treacle sponge cake for dessert.  It was all very delicious and there wasn't much left.  lol  Only 3 things were "British" the rest were regular party snacks.

One of the ladies loved the book. She had a totally different spin on it. Interesting to listen to her interpretation. 

Sounds like it was a grand time, Lillie.  Isn't it funny how different people interpret things in a whole different way?

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:09 PM

gini:

we replaced the front door to our condo when we remodeled.  it was a heavy metal door and kept the entry really cold.  our contractor recommended a foam door to replace it.  it is on the north side and gets all the snow blowing on it.  we've had it for 11 years now and haven't  had a bit of trouble with it.  they never warp from the wet.   i can't tell it from a wood door. and it is a better insulator

I have a foam core door and I love it.  It's one of those made to look Victorian with leaded glass in an oval in the center.  It looks just like oak around it.  It faces West and in the afternoons here it is still quite hot.  I've had it for 6 years now and virtually no sign of wear on it.  No warping, either.  I love it.  We had a wooden door and you could hardly shut it, having to slam it and them use muscle to open it because it was warped.  That took about 5 years to happen.  I guess I should have sealed it better.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 7:12 PM

Diane, congrats on finishing the work quilt!  It didn't take long to get it quilted with help, did it.  Can you post a pic for us to see the finished piece?  $250 is not enough, but it's done now and you'll know better if someone else wants one done.  Too bad about the pet store not wanting to sell your little dragons.  Hope you have luck with the newspaper ad.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 334
Points 9,150

Hi everyone......I hope you all are feeling better than George and I......I started being hoarse on Thurs. and sore throat on Fri.; then George started getting a bad head cold on Sat.  It seemed like George always got a cold after the Lectorships, because he moves around a lot socializing with everyone; but I pretty much stay in my seat. So I don't know where mine came from.  George said he didn't know when he had felt this bad; I told him "the last time he had a cold".  He hates being sick and usually he gets over a cold in about 3 days.  No church for us today.           One of our dear friends from church's husband had an ATV accident on Fri. Hit his head and has bleeding on his brain and is in Morgantown hospital. That is one of the larger hospitals several miles from here; they take people there when the hospitals around here think the problem is more than they can handle. His name is Frank and her name is Terry.  Say a prayer for them.  They moved here from New Jersey about 8 years ago and have no family here.  Their daughter called us yesterday and said she is with her mom, so that is good.  Not much else here.  I have been following all the posts.  Hugs, Jo

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 7:45 AM

It's not the door that is the problem, it the wood frame the door sits in that is rotting. It's all one piece with side lights on each side. Then the door is attached. It's going to be at least $1500 + installation to replace the whole thing. What a pain!

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,992
Points 64,380
Robin replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 9:33 AM

Hi Everyone,

I can see you all had a busy and productive weekend.

Donn and I made it home late yesterday afternoon.  We have a good time.  He got to see his painting and a bunch more than he had on his list.   The quilt show was good.  I was a little disappointed in the vendor choices some of the ones that were advertised to be there wasn't.   Some of it was just overwhelming.   I didn't buy a lot but had a lot of fun looking around.  Spent a good amount of time talking with a Brother Representative about embroidery machines.  I now have an idea of what I want but have to find the cash.   Right now all our extra money is going to savings for Keeley's Dorm and Meal plan.  I did pick up a wool kit from primitive gatherings but it will have to go in the cabinet for now.   I also bought some YLI threads that look interesting.  They're Multicolored and look like worn cotton.   I think they will be fun to play with.   On the way home we stopped at a Hancock's fabric store.  I again didn't buy much but found a lovely piece of natural color cotton with a white stem on it.  It will make a great background for something and it was 1/2 price. 

So the show had plenty of beautiful quilts I'll have to post some.  But the coolest thing was a miniature by Allie Aller!  It was so cool to get up close and study it.  And take pictures.  I literally ended up sitting on the floor in front of it.  It was hung low with some other miniatures.  The quilt is her Alliance for American Quilters Challenge piece "Twenty Years in the Garden" .

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:18 AM

Robin, thanks for the link. What a beautiful little piece and you got to see it in person...lucky girl!  I just love Allie's site.  Something about it is so relaxing.  Glad you had a good time and got some pretties and Donn checked a few paintings off his bucket list.  The main thing is you had a get away.  Hope you relaxed and got to clear your mind of some have-tos.  Hope to see some quilt pics, when you have a little time.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:21 AM

Jo, I'm so sorry to hear that you and George are under the weather.  Hope it goes away quickly.  I will pray for Frank and Terry that he has a quick recovery with no lasting side effects.  That's the problem with ATVs.  It's easy to have an accident and get hurt really badly when you least expect it.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 10:22 AM

Lillie:

It's not the door that is the problem, it the wood frame the door sits in that is rotting. It's all one piece with side lights on each side. Then the door is attached. It's going to be at least $1500 + installation to replace the whole thing. What a pain!

What a pain is right.  Can't a carpenter just remove the that piece and replace it?  Seems a shame that the whole door has to be replaced.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 1:27 PM

Linny t:

What a pain is right.  Can't a carpenter just remove the that piece and replace it?  Seems a shame that the whole door has to be replaced.

The entire frame is fabricated in one piece, including the sidelights. Our handyman thought he could just replace those two pieces of wood. Then realized the whole thing is one piece.

We did what what was suggested and dug out most of the bad wood, saturated the holes with bleach, jammed wood bondo inside, snaded and painted it. If we have to repeat this process every year for the next 3 yeas, I'll be happy. I think we are going to sell the place in the next few years and try to get a one story ranch with a full basement. Though, my DH really loves living here. Maybe it will be 5 years before we sell.  lol

Robin-sounds like you had a good time. Sorry that the show wasn't better. I'm finding that most of the shows are just the same stuff over and over again. I quilt going to the one in Denver because it's just the same thing every year. And I don't go to very many of them here in NoCo because they are the same year after year.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 6:30 PM

Here is a pic of the naked block I am working on for a RR.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:19 PM

It's so pretty and feminine, Diane.  It will look lovely with your silk ribbon work on it.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:32 AM

It's so girly and sweet. I know your ribbon work will make it shine.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 5:59 PM

Happy Monday everyone.  We've had rain almost all day long.  It's supposed to be like this most of the week.  The good news is that Sunday morning it's supposed to get down to 69 degrees!  Yes, fall is close.  Robin, have you had cooler temps the past few days?

Linny T

Page 129 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev127128129130131Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use