rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:55 AM

Hi Everyone,

I see life has been very busy around here.   I haven't posted for awhile because life has been very hecked around here.   School has been a bit of a mad house with grading for progress reports, working on stuff for decoration the food lab like a restaurant for our first meal on the 26th.  Prepping for the meal as much as we could ahead of time and then general household stuff. 

I guess like Linny I'm also ready for fall to set it for a spell.  My yard is a mess but I haven't had time to really work on it with the start of school and then it just been to hot to go out and pull weeds and dead flowers.  When the weather cools I'll tackle that.  

Today is the day we leave for Atlanta for the Quilt Show and the Art museum.  We're driving up later today and then coming back in Saturday.  Prepping for school on Sunday and the first meal is Thursday.   I've got a little better than 30 people sign eating, some of them are kids who are working the meal.  They get to eat when the work is done.   I'll be glad to have the first one behind me and know that the kids and I can handle the work load.    I wish we had had time to do the dry run dinner for the parents but that didn't happen.   I'm hoping to do something at Christmas time since we are not doing a meal that month.  

I really been weary lately.  Just the usual stress of work.   I finally broke down and had a heart to heart with the principal about some of the things that are stressing me and others out like our grading policy.   It's simply insane.  They (the admin) don't want a kid to make below a 50, so they want a teacher to reteach when the student is not successful, which makes sense it you truly want the kids to be able to move on to the next step.  However, the written policy that they put into place does not exactly say that.   It says that a student has two weeks to turn an assignment in and that the student cannot receive a  grade lower than a 50, which has the kids dragging around with their work until they want to turn it in and then fussing if they make lower than a 50 on the assignment.   So of course I have one student (who I had last year too)  testing the policy to the fullest limit just like he did last year after promising me in front of his mom he wouldn't.  So the other day when he turned in a paper with completed after everyone had just got their's back graded.  And they had had over two weeks to do it I snapped.  So after I regained my composure I went and talked with the principal and that's when I learned what they meant and he learned that the kids were taking advantage of the teachers based on what was written.   He assured me that he would set the young man straight and that he would consider what I had said.  I just told him that I could not serve two masters and this grading policy was ruining me.    On one hand I am a team player if the coach says do this I try my best to do it.  On the other hand my role as a Career and Tech Teacher says there is no job in the world that is going to give anybody two additional weeks to turn in their work and still pay them.  So what kind of employees are these kids going to be.    So all of this foolishness with the usual getting started for school, with the start of the restaurant at school had just been a circuit overload.  So please forgive me for not having been very friendly lately.

Stephanie, 

I'm sorry that you are now having to monitor your carbs so closely.   You've had some good advice shared with you by Linny, Diane, and Jo.  Chiming in as a nutrition teacher, but not a very good diet person.  There is a great book out there called The Energy Edge, written by Pamela Smith.  It is a little old but a really good read.  You can probably get it through amazon.

On the other hand your sewing retreat sounds like a ton of fun.   I'm envious of you and Diane having someone to share your passion with.  There are woman who quilt in my area but they are mostly retired and meet when I'm at work.  I know no one who is my age and gets a kick out of playing with needles as Allie Adler says.

Linny,

I would be interested in the ornament exchange, but I need some more details.   I've got a couple of projects in the works for Christmas so it would depend on the details.   I personally would like tree ornaments over hang around the house as I have a small house so I decorate mostly tabletops and my tree.  But get me the details and I'll see what I can do. I've really missed the collaboration we had going when we were doing the round robin.

Lillie,

Sorry about the flooding hope you stay out of harms way.  I assume your Grandson is settle in school and has begun his first semester.  Do you have plans to see him anytime soon?

Diane, 

Love reading about the baby dragons and their developing personalities.  Sounds like a lot of fun.   Just think by holding that little fellow you are giving him such an opportunity to develop a personality that would make him a good pet.  Reading that reminds me so much of what children need and go through.   I  see so many children who didn't have the love and care that allowed them to develop the personality that allowed them to be confident in the world and it breaks my heart.

Jo,

I sure hope your hip is better this morning.  I know that one day I'm going to have issues with my legs and hips.  Right now I'm sitting with one leg tucked under the other and I know it's going to be stiff when I get up. 

Gini,

Great to have you stop in and join our little group.   I'm always so amazed at your work.  It's so beautiful.

Well, as I said early this is a long weekend for me I hope that you have a terrific day.  I'm on my way, Atlanta here I come.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,336
Points 113,515
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:33 AM

Robin, I'm so sorry you've been so overloaded and that grading policy just has to go.  I'm with you.  What does that teach those kids?  Makes no sense at all.  I'm happy for you getting away for a bit.  That nice long drive will soothe your nerves, I hope, as well as Donn's company.

As for the exchange, it's no real rules and I was thinking we could make one for each who participates.  Now if 100 people chime in saying they want to do it, too, we'll just do one and draw numbers or something.  If it's just 5 or 6 people, here's what I was going to do.  Pick an ornament shape (it could be any shape you want) and make a template.  Make a large piece of CQ fabric.  Trace the shape on it as many times as it will fit.  Do the embellishment by hand or by machine, cut out the shapes, sew them together and finish the edges.  Sew on something so they can be hung.  That's it.  Easy-peasy.  I was going to make mine double sided, but you could just use felt if you want.  That'd be cute with the year and a signature for remembrance.  You can put something inside to make them either puffy or stiff, if you like.  It's as you like it.  

Another way of doing it would be to trace the shapes onto muslin and then sew & flip patches onto just those areas.  This was Stephanie's good idea.

A couple of days ago I posted a link to a pinterest site where she had posted pics of CQ ornaments.  Did you see that?  There were some really pretty ones that were just circles that caught my eye.  I found it just by googling "crazy quilt Christmas ornaments".

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 4:50 PM

Robin,

I too am so sorry to hear about your stresses at work. It looks like the people that write these policies underestimate that there are kids out there that will figure out a way to take advantage of the way it's written. Yhe worlds become such a double deged word that way. Things are written up, made into law, and there's someone that's going to figure out how to take advantage of it and make it work for them.  I admire your tenacity in going in and explaining that the policy isn't working and why. It has to be so draining from all aspects, and I for one really don't like going into a confrontation without lots of planning. And to think of you having to add that onto your already too busy schedule is quite overwhelming to think about. Don't worry about us. We know that if you haven't checked in that there's a good reason for it. Just wanted to let you know that we missed you.

And for you on the other hand: You got a weekend of fun coming up!!!! I hope you just unleash yourself and let it all go and that you and Donn have and absolute wonderful time. 

Thanks for the advice on the book, I'll check into it. I know it's going to be a process finding what works for me as an individual, and I appreciate so much all of the advice. One day at a time....

Robin:
On the other hand your sewing retreat sounds like a ton of fun. 

I'm almost overwhelmingly excited about this. I've been gathering and packing today since I'm working tomorrow. Going to let the diet go for a day, and just be careful, but not overboard. This is all about fun and having a chance to go somewhere, no worries, no distractions and just sew. Heaven for a day. LOL

Once again, you and Donn have a great time!!!! Look forward to hearing about everything.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 4:53 PM

Linny t:

As for the exchange, it's no real rules and I was thinking we could make one for each who participates.  Now if 100 people chime in saying they want to do it, too, we'll just do one and draw numbers or something.  If it's just 5 or 6 people, here's what I was going to do.  Pick an ornament shape (it could be any shape you want) and make a template.  Make a large piece of CQ fabric.  Trace the shape on it as many times as it will fit.  Do the embellishment by hand or by machine, cut out the shapes, sew them together and finish the edges.  Sew on something so they can be hung.  That's it.  Easy-peasy.  I was going to make mine double sided, but you could just use felt if you want.  That'd be cute with the year and a signature for remembrance.  You can put something inside to make them either puffy or stiff, if you like.  It's as you like it.  

Another way of doing it would be to trace the shapes onto muslin and then sew & flip patches onto just those areas.

Sounds perfect!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 8:26 PM

Hi Everyone---I have been unable to get on yahoo all day.

Robin---I am hoping things slow down for you.  I'm sure getting away will help.  I remember when they were always starting new things when I worked.  It was usually a pain in the rear end.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:18 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm up and at it. Headed down for breakfast then it's off to the show.  I want to thank you all for your support and understanding of my long post yesterday. It always feels better to share with y'all than most anyone else.  

Linny,   The ornament exchange sounds like fun so I'm in.  

I'll be on the look out today for Chritmas stuff .   I really don't have a list for today. I'm just going to go stroll look, see, and look some more.  

Hope you all have a wonderful Friday. 

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 7:09 AM

Hello Everyone,

Hoping that everyone has a wonderful weekend with time to do the things that you want to do and relax!

My book club meets here tonight. I think there will be 8-10 of us. The book for this month was a horrible boring book. I didn't finish it because I could not maintain any sort of interest in the writing or the characters. It was about British spies. I'm making "British" buffet for the girls.  I was hoping that I'd get the month where the characters are from Russia. That would have been fun to experiment with Russian foods. lol

I need to scrape the paint off the bottom of the front door jam and then repaint it. Not sure I will get to that today. We really need to install a storm door on the front door. It will do a lot to protect the outside wood. The snow piles up inside the door jam and sits there and rots the wood. It will be very expensive to have a whole new door installed, so I've decided to start with a storm door and go from there.

Happy weekend everyone!

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,336
Points 113,515
Linny t replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 11:13 AM

Robin:

I'm up and at it. Headed down for breakfast then it's off to the show.  I want to thank you all for your support and understanding of my long post yesterday. It always feels better to share with y'all than most anyone else.  

Linny,   The ornament exchange sounds like fun so I'm in.  

Robin, I wish I was going, too.  I hope you have a blast!  I'm so happy you'll be doing the ornaments with us.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,336
Points 113,515
Linny t replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 11:15 AM

Lillie, I hope you have a wonderful weekend with time to do things you want and relax, too :)  Hope your book club get together is fun in spite of the terribly boring book.  What are you serving for your British fare?

Good luck with your threshold.  I bet Stephanie will have some advise for you.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:11 PM

Hi everyone.

Robin,

Yay in joining us in the ornaments. I hope you have a great time and find some goodies.

Lillie,

How fun to have the Book Club and some wonderful food to go along with it. You're going to spoil them and they'll want to come to your house every month. LOL. Have a great time and hope all your dishes are a big hit!

Linny,

Diane, Hope you're over the issues of signging in,m and that your babies are doing well.

All. Oh my, since I got home from work I have been packing for our mini retreat tomorrow. Everything but the kitchen sink I think. LOL

And shame on me, LOL, I took off a little early and stopped by Joann's. We're doing paper pieced little wall hangings as part of our fun and with the cq ornaments on my mind as well I went in search of baubles. Found the cutest Christmas theme charms, small bell shaped bells, small jingle bells, tiny bows, and some pipe cleaners that look like tiny sparkly garland  you'd wrap around a tree. I can't wait.  They have velvet on sale this week so I bought a yard of that too. I love velvet, but it's gotten so expensive... And best of all when I was in line this lady hands me five coupons for 40 percent and one for 50. I think I tanked her at least 3 time. LOL. Saved me $25.00. Nice!!!

I''l check in on Sunday evening, and in the mean time hope you all have a spectacular weekend...   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, Sep 20 2013 6:17 PM

Linny t:
I bet Stephanie will have some advise for you.

Sweet of you.

The only advice I could give in such a project is to make sure when the paint is scraped to check for mildew underneath, bleach it and don't forget to prime before you repaint. If it's rotten in small areas but some Bondo for wood. Fill the patch and level it as much as possible .It dries fast and hard.

My home improvement lesson for the day. :0)

And Lillie, best of luck with your project. I think the storm door is a great idea to block the snow from sitting in that area...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:48 AM

Hope you have a wonderful time at the show Robin. Can't wait to hear all about it.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 8:53 AM

Thank you Linny. The book club was a huge success. I served bangers (sausage - mine were turkey so I could eat them also) chips (fries-potato wedges with lemon and rosymary) raw veggies with dips, cheese and crackers, and a treacle sponge cake for dessert.  It was all very delicious and there wasn't much left.  lol  Only 3 things were "British" the rest were regular party snacks.

One of the ladies loved the book. She had a totally different spin on it. Interesting to listen to her interpretation. 

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 9:01 AM

Stephanie:

The only advice I could give in such a project is to make sure when the paint is scraped to check for mildew underneath, bleach it and don't forget to prime before you repaint. If it's rotten in small areas but some Bondo for wood. Fill the patch and level it as much as possible .It dries fast and hard.

My home improvement lesson for the day. :0)

And Lillie, best of luck with your project. I think the storm door is a great idea to block the snow from sitting in that area...

Hunks of wood came off while I was scraping the paint off. Then I gingerly dug into the exposed wood and found that it is rotting, or what I perceived as rot, where it meets the threshold and where the snow piles up. When we had our repair man fix this area two years ago, I'm pretty sure he used bondo then, but it all came off when I scraped the paint. I think we will have to replace the entire door in the future because it's all one piece and we can't just replace the 2 pieces of wood. Bummer. 

Thanks for the home repair lesson Stephanie.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 3:18 PM

we replaced the front door to our condo when we remodeled.  it was a heavy metal door and kept the entry really cold.  our contractor recommended a foam door to replace it.  it is on the north side and gets all the snow blowing on it.  we've had it for 11 years now and haven't  had a bit of trouble with it.  they never warp from the wet.   i can't tell it from a wood door. and it is a better insulator

gini in north idaho

Page 128 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev126127128129130Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use