rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:06 AM

Norma Doll:

My right hip and back is bothering me this morning.  I couldn't get to sleep on my back, so I slept on my right side and now my hip hurts. I was trying to get off the pain pill, Tramadol, so I had quit taking it this week, but I guess I will go back on it. I haven't felt very good w/o it.  George thinks sitting on ice pack will help every backache, so I have been doing that, but not helping so far.  I get my hair done at 10; I was suppose to go last Sat. too, but I completely forgot it. Bev did such a good job with the style, I am going to go every Sat.  I have the alarm set on my cell phone to remind me.  Hugs, Jo

Jo,

Back and hip pain is no fun, and I hope getting out and walking some will help. I spent too much time in cars and sitting yesterday and am feeling it as well. Today after I've gotten up and moved around it seems relieved somewhat.

Have fun at the hairdresser. Nothing like being pampered by a good beautician and feeling pretty.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:13 AM

Hi Everyone

The sewing bee was so much fun!  We had w gorgeous lunch and cheese cake for dessert.  Then we started quilting.  These ladies were all church friends.  One African friend did do much and her stitch is beautiful.  We are going to get together next week so it was a great success.

Jo---I've had the same problems as you.  For two years I had to sleep on my back.  I your case,  I would take the Tramadol only when you really need it like last night.  I would cut down slowly rather than just cut yourself off.  Tramadol works better if you take tylenol with it.  Motrin if for the inflammation which you need to be able to move better.  I always use heat and that works for me.  A physical therapist told when you are in pain, the medication helps you move better so you feel better sooner.  You may also consider a sleeping medication.  Our doctors trusted Tylenol PM which has benadryl and tylenol especially for older folks.  I know because I was a nurse and have experience of my own, like you.  I hope you feel better soon.

When I was younger after my baby, I did weight watchers and it worked very well.  The only thing was that they had desserts.  The week that I ate a couple of their desserts, I didn't lose weight.  So I stopped that and lost all the baby weight.  I liked their system.  Lillie 6 pounds is good--every bit helps.  I used to set little goals for myself.  Like I would say "I just want to lose 5 pounds and when I would lose, then I would work on the next 5 pounds."  It seems like the older we get, the less motivation we get!

The babies are doing well. Cut as ever.  I counted 9 yesterday.   It's that some hide and they are rarely all out together.  I don't think the thousand cricket are going to last long at this rate!

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:48 AM

Stephanie---I know you know about Voltarin for pain.  It may be good you Jo---its an ointment that you put on your body where you are hurting and it really helps for the inflammation and pain. Also  I have found the Potassium has helped me for restless legs which used to keep me up all night.

Also there's a medication for cholesterol called Welchol.  It only works in the digestive system so it doesn't effect you whole body. I catches the fat before it's absorbed into your system.  You have to take it alone because it doesn't work well with other meds. So I take in the middle of the day.  I can tell it's working because---it constipates me because the fat is not there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:32 PM

Jo, you and I have 2 things in common this weekend.  I got my hair done at 10 am and my hip hurt so bad from sleeping on my side I had to take pain reliever all day.  I use aleeve and alternate with extra strength excederin.  I think mine is pinched nerve because I can make it go away by changing my body position.  I hope yours goes away soon.  It really sucks to be in pain, I know.

I met up with my sister and we went shopping after I got my hair done.  Her spirits are so much higher than they were.  I hope it never ends.  She's living as fully as she can each day.  I love to see her like that...  All excited with new ideas and plans.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:38 PM

Lillie:

My doc said I should start weight watchers. She swears by it as the best over-the-counter diet plan around. She is not concerned about my weight, but I am. I have lost 6 lbs since last year. Big whoop. If it had been 26 pounds since last year, I'd be dancing. DH said it was better than gaining 6 lbs. I had to agree with him.

I've never done weight watchers.  Maybe I'll have to give it a try.  I put on a lot of weight after stopping smoking, even though I use the e-cigarette.  It was just like quitting.  That and Audra & Nate moved in.  Funny how it's easier to eat when your family is eating.  I have lost some weight, though.  I can tell, but probably not even 6 lbs.  You should be proud of your 6 lbs., Lillie.  Like your DH says, it's better than gaining it.

I've seen some news coverage of the flooding up there.  Seems like a week ago they were talking about fires.  I guess so many people prayed for rain and their prayers answered there was a flood.  I know.  It's not funny even though I joke a little.  So many people are missing.  That's scary.  I'm glad you're not in that.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:42 PM

Robin:
I'm really looking forward to be gone next week.   Donn and I haven't gotten away from our collection of children in over a year and to be honest I'm just looking forward to a break from the routine.   And to see something different for a day or two might just do the trick to refreshing the mind. 
 That's right...what is it?  The quilting Expo for you and I think you said Donn was going to see the painting ,Girl with a Pearl Earring, right?  You sure do deserve a get away.  For living in a small town, your life seems complicated with people and things a lot.  I know you wouldn't like it any other way probably, but getting away will do you both some good.  When do you leave?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:48 PM

Stephanie:
I had a change up from my routine yesterday, and just meeting some new people and changing things up a bit from the norm is a good thing, isn't it? Especially when life becomes too much about work and it overlaps into home time. We've had it here too, bringing cabinet doors and furniture pieces in for weekend work. I've gotten to an age where I really don't need to have anything extra around my house that reminds me of work. I don't thnk it allows our minds to rest when things are lurking unfnished. It's nice that you and Donn can recognize time for a get away....

Boy, can I relate to this.  I was just telling Audra how stagnated I feel.  I need an escape...I think I'll start planning for it, lol...See, I think this and then I hear that little voice, :Be careful what you wish for..."  Honestly I'd settle for a cool front.  I'm so tired of 90+ every day I don't even want to take the dogs out during the daylight hours.  The rains have changed some.  At least we're not getting flooding rains every day.  There's just something about a cool breeze that refreshes my mind, though.  I suppose I could drive 10 hours north to the cool air...of course then I'd have to drive 10 hours back...not really a solution.  I guess I'm just going to have to wait.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:51 PM

Diane:
The sewing bee was so much fun!  
 I'm so glad it worked out so well for everyone.  I bet there was a lot of giggling going on. 

Diane:
The babies are doing well. Cut as ever.  I counted 9 yesterday.   It's that some hide and they are rarely all out together.  I don't think the thousand cricket are going to last long at this rate!
 Are they all eating the crickets now?  I was trying to think how many times 9 goes into 1,000.  Just over 100 each.  I bet they eat a lot of tiny crickets each day, don't they?  So 1,000 probably lasts about a week or less.  It must be great watching them come and get it, though.  Are they growing fast?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 8:12 AM

Happy Sunday, everyone!  Hope your Sunday meets you with happiness no matter what you've got planned for your day.

I've been thinking lately about little projects to make and give at Christmas.  Anyone else thinking along these lines yet?  I was thinking about ornaments and found this page on Pinterest by Susan Locke.  Lots of pretty eye candy here.  I found these pretty, colorful ones I liked.  The link was to a blog called Something from Nothing by Lisa Cayrl.  I love the colors she's used.  Different than the normal red, green, gold and silver.

This, of course, got me thinking about you all.  Anyone interested in doing an ornament exchange this year?  

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 8:22 AM

WOW! We're just getting a pot load of rain. Helicopters were flying back and forth right over our house all day on Sat. One of the rives that flooding is a few miles from our house. I think they were bringing in emergency supplies/people and evacuating/rescuing residents.  What a shame. DH said this was a 50 year flood on the Poudre river and a 100 year flood on the Big Thompson. Last time they had a 100 year flood on the Big Thompson (1976-ish) they had to build all new roads and drainage systems. I have never seen anything like this since we moved here.

When we lived in Albuquerque we had gully washes from big rain storms. The water would rush down the dirt road behind our house (way behind) and it would be about 3 feet deep with water. Bringing all sorts of debris with it. Then in about 20-40 mins it would all be gone, except the debris, and the roads would be mud. We lived 1/2 way up the bahada and then our house was also on another rise, so we never worried about the house getting washed away.

I feel so bad for the people up here. And we're getting more rain. It rained hard almost all night long and they are expecting the same thing again most of today.

Have a safe Sunday ya'll

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 8:41 AM

Wow, Linny,

Talk about eye candy!!!! I put them in my fav's so I can go back and drool anytime I want. Those ornaments are really pretty, aren't they?

Linny t:
This, of course, got me thinking about you all.  Anyone interested in doing an ornament exchange this year?

What a neat idea! Yes.

I'm over the 90's too. I think I might drive 10 hours to be out of it. Even if it was only for a 3 day weekend.

Lillie,

I'm so sorry to hear about all the flooding in that area. Must be overwhelming for  you to think about. Sending some prayers your way....

Diane,

So wonderful to read that you had a great time at the Bee. How uplifting for you, and I hope it catches on weekly. Good fellowship to be with the girls. Yes, the Volatrin was a great product.

Robin,

I had completely forgotten about this trip being about seeing the painting until Linny mentioned it. That'll be a great time.

Jo,

Hope you are doing better today...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 8:54 AM

Well Gee whiz.

I went to the Doc on Friday, first time in years. Too many....They called me back yesterday and told me my bloodwork shows I'm pre- diabetic and they want me on a low carb, low sugar diet. I've since realized that this is going to be the biggest lifestyle change I've ever had because that's all I eat. Literally.

I'm used to (in the diet world) counting calories and portion control, but the carb thing has really thrown me off. If any of you have any advice in How many carbs daily make a low carb diet I'd appreciate it greatly. Or guides or books you may have read and can recommend.  

Have to say I'm quite relieved and thankful to have found this out while it can be controlled by diet. I haven't felt up to snuff in quite a while and looking forward to all the benefits of losing pounds and getting some evergy back.... 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:05 AM

Hi Stephanie---so sorry to hear that you are pre diabetic.  The idea is to have about 30 carbs or no carbs per meal.  Get a good book that lists carbs.  The book my brother told me to buy is Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.  It's pretty good.  Best of luck with your eating plan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 11:03 AM

I found this yesterday while I was looking around for stuff. It's on this web site. Her work is stunning. Her classes are really expensive. $600 for 5 days.

http://www.judithbakermontano.com/JBMwebsite/classes_html/classes_StudioTour.html#UnderTheSea

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 11:08 AM

Those were really beautiful Linny. Thanks for sharing the links. The purses were really, really nice. 

northern colorado

Page 124 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev122123124125126Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use