My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,650
Linny t replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:29 PM

Hi, everybody.  Had a tough day at work and came home and just flopped on the bed for a bit. Then after supper I sewed another triangle block.  I only got 2 made this week because of all that's going on with Barb.

As for the RR, would everyone be too disappointed if we just waited awhile longer to start it?  Seems like everyone it so busy and I have to say I won't be able to do it whole heartedly while Barb is going through this.  The radiation treatments are more intense that they were described at first and they'll be giving them to her for six weeks instead of the 2 - 3 weeks they first said.  They are calling it palliative care, meaning it's just to keep the tumor as small as possible.  There won't be a cure, but maybe another remission.  We can only hope and pray about that.  She's going through some anger now and I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the radiation and mega doses of steroids or if she's seeing it for what it is.  From what she talks about I think it could be some of both.  

The good news is that Barb's son is coming for a visit around Labor Day.  She is looking forward to that and so am I.  That's only about 2 weeks away, so not long.  Better days are coming...

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Fri, Aug 16 2013 11:44 PM

Hi Everyone

Linny, I just thought of something concerning the RR.  I the other groups, they don't mail in December because everyone is busy and the mail is bogged down.  I don't know if everyone wants to start in January or just hold the blocks for another month after Christmas is over.  To me, it makes sense to start in January but I can start sooner if you guys want.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:33 AM

Linny t:
As for the RR, would everyone be too disappointed if we just waited awhile longer to start it?  

I am totally up for pushing the start date back too.

I'm so sorry Barb  is having to go thru this. It's come so soon after her last treatments,  I will pray for a remission for her. It will be so nice to have her son come down and spend some time. I know last time he was here there was a lot of moving going on, and hopefully this time it will be more about visiting and spending some quality time together. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:34 AM

Diane:
 To me, it makes sense to start in January but I can start sooner if you guys want.

January works for me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:41 AM

Linny t:

As for the RR, would everyone be too disappointed if we just waited awhile longer to start it?  

It's OK with me if we want to wait until Jan 2014 to start another one. Just throwing that date out there to think about.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:47 AM

I'm good with waiting too.   I only mentioned it because I've been a little out of the loop lately and I didn't want to hold things up.  

Linny,  So sorry to hear the news about Barb.   Glad her son is coming.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 3:28 PM

I didn't want to reply to the posts from yesterday until everyone had seen Linny's post about postponing the RR.

Robin,

That was really thoughtful of Donn to take you out to dinner instead of having you cook.

Sounds like they have your classes all worked out. That's great. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. LOL

Robin:
I can't wait to see your bird.

Thank you. After threading some needles and making a felt chart to keep my threaded needles and colors organized, I was ready to stitch away, and worked on it four hours this morning. Got thru lesson one. It's been fun to practice the long and short stitch. That stitch will be used in the bulk of the project. I'm using all of her color recommendations. So far stitching on the Kona cotton is working out ok. It's a double layer.  

Sounds like you've been plugging away at your purse blocks. So nice that you can do it while watching tv. Mike likes the LR dark in the eves, so if I sew I have to go into the other room. Now that Football season is upon us I won't feel so bad. He doesn't know I've left during the games. LOL

Lillie,

That's so fun to read that you've made 6 new friends doing the aqua aerobics. Doing the water exercises when I had injured my back was huge in getting back into shape for the abdominals to protect it from going out on me all the time. No joint pounding either. Easy on the knees. Love the water. Having lunch with your girlfriends on Fridays will be so much fun.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,650
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 5:11 PM

Thanks for waiting until everyone had they're say about the RR, Stephanie.  Jan 2014 sounds like a good plan.   

Stephanie, you have a football maniac if he doesn't notice you've left the room when the game is on.  I bet he does notice, but forgets as soon as the next play happens, lol.  Guys are like that.  What is it about football that makes men loose track of everything else?  I never did quite understand that.

I'm so excited that you've started your birdie.  I can just imagine you stitching for hours and hours letting the world pass you by.  There are hardly any better ways to become contented.

Well, no visit with Barb today.  She's feeling like she's dehydrated and can't solve it with drinking fluids.  She said her thermostat is broken because she gets hot and cold.  She has ice water and then feels hot.  She doesn't have a fever though, she says.  She just wanted to rest today.  We're going to try a visit tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a delightful Saturday.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:01 PM

Linny t:

Stephanie, you have a football maniac if he doesn't notice you've left the room when the game is on.  I bet he does notice, but forgets as soon as the next play happens, lol.  Guys are like that.  What is it about football that makes men loose track of everything else?  I never did quite understand that.

I never quite understood the fascination of it myself, but as I got older I have come to appreciate it. I don't think he gets the fascination of quilting and cq either. LOL

Linny t:

I'm so excited that you've started your birdie.  I can just imagine you stitching for hours and hours letting the world pass you by.  There are hardly any better ways to become contented.

Thank you, and the world truly does pass by while doing this, I had Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares on in the background. Something about that show that is uplifting to me. It's like he gives people a second chance that so many people could never experience in a lifetime. Lots of drama as he deals with owners and chefs. Chef's are the artists of food, and can be just as moody as any other artists in my book.  Unfortunately it makes me hungry to see the layout of food in the menu changes too. LOL.

So far I've just gotten through the branch and a couple leaves. Flowers are the next lesson and then onto the birdies. I seem to have misplaced the cord to my magnifying lamp, but had plenty of overhead lighting to sew in the day. I've come to realize my vision days for doing these kind of things may be numbered, so I need to take advantage of the time. Have you done much long and short stitching?

Linny t:
Well, no visit with Barb today.

Oh, you must have been sadly disappointed. Poor Barb. I can't imagine with the treatments for a brain tumor, how much these can affect her nervous system, and everything physically. God Bless you both. 

So, in the change of events, how have you spent your day?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 6:06 PM

Mike just changed the channel to a Cowboys game. Dinners finished, got the work I brought home with me done, and it looks like I may get a couple more hours to play with thread.

Have a lovely evening everyone. Hope the site is quiet because you are all doing something you love, or in good company.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Sat, Aug 17 2013 11:41 PM

Linny---sounds like Barbara is going through this with a lot of side effects. Can she take Motrin for the hot and cold flashes?  I know it' from the cancer treatments but it sounds like a virus.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:19 AM

lol I completely forgot that pre-season has started. Not really into football since Brett retired and we discontinued Sunday NFL Ticket when the price moved above $125. Mostly we discontinued it because I didn't want to spend all of Sunday in front of the TV. Even through we recorded the games we were interested in watching. Still too much time in front of the TV. Now we just watch what's on if we're interested. I find that I get through the first half, then loose interest. 

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,650
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:43 AM

Diane:

Linny---sounds like Barbara is going through this with a lot of side effects. Can she take Motrin for the hot and cold flashes?  I know it' from the cancer treatments but it sounds like a virus.

She says she takes Tylenol.  I'll tell her to try Motrin.  You just reminded me that she was going to talk to her Dr. about things she should and shouldn't take during treatment.  I forgot to ask her what he said.  I know any asprin or ibuprophen product is out because she still has the chemo port in her.  They don't want her blood to get too thin, just in case.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,650
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 9:21 AM

Stephanie:
So far I've just gotten through the branch and a couple leaves. Flowers are the next lesson and then onto the birdies. I seem to have misplaced the cord to my magnifying lamp, but had plenty of overhead lighting to sew in the day. I've come to realize my vision days for doing these kind of things may be numbered, so I need to take advantage of the time. Have you done much long and short stitching?

Oh, I'd love to see your progress.  I have done a lot of short and long stitch.  Most recently with my fairy on my once block.  The entire leaves and the fairies' arms and leggs are long and short.   The froggie, too.  It's really meditative.  It's thread painting and I love the colors.  It's a challenge to look at the flosses with not only color, but tone, too, in looking for highlights and shadows, trying to create space between objects.  I find myself drawn to the way some masters used color in oils, like Van Gogh and Monet.   Not that I'm really good at it.  I would be better if you could mix flosses like paints.  I'm better in bigger areas because there's room for the stitches.  Oh, now I'm feeling myself getting the embroidery bug back.  

As for vision issues, boy don't you know it.  I found a magnifying visor that I like.  You put it on like a hat.  It has changeable lenses of various strengths and they flip up and down.  I tried with the one's that are on a stand, but I don't like having something that large between me and my work.  I use it for jewelry making, too...and for getting slivers out of Nate's little feet, lol.  It was around $25.  There are many different styles to choose from, too.  Mine has a little light on top that I can turn on and off.  I don't use it much because I get a better effect with my Ott lamp.  

Stephanie:
Oh, you must have been sadly disappointed. Poor Barb. I can't imagine with the treatments for a brain tumor, how much these can affect her nervous system, and everything physically. God Bless you both. 
 I was disappointed.  I'm going to go there today, even if she's not up to visitors.  I wish she sounded better on the phone.  She's a lot like my dad in that she keeps bad things to herself to save her loved ones from the pain of it.  Maybe I'll stop and get her a smoothie.  I know she's sick when she doesn't want to go shopping.  I'm already missing my shopping buddy and it's just the first week.

Stephanie:
So, in the change of events, how have you spent your day?

I actually finished piecing my top.  I sewed all day and finished at exactly 9:30 PM.  I have to square it up still.  Maybe later today I'll post a pic.  It's better in the afternoon anyway because the light is on the side of my bedroom in the afternoon.  I can lay it out on my bed.  I love it.  It reminds me of the ocean at sunset.  I have already been thinking about how to quilt it.  I ended up using every bit of the fabrics I chose for it.  I thought I had tons, but didn't realize it would grow and grow, lol.  Such a shame...  Now I'll have to go shopping to replenish my stash, lol.  Actually the next fabric shopping will be to choose the backing and batting.  My LQS has some lovely backing fabrics.  I was thinking of trying bamboo batting.  Has anyone done hand quilting with bamboo batting?  Does it beard?  Does it shrink up like cotton when you launder it?  I want that traditional appearance to it when it's done like you get with cotton.  I've heard wool isn't bad to work with, but in Florida I don't need the warmest quilt on the planet.    

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and creativity just springs up for all of you.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:26 AM

Lillie:
we discontinued Sunday NFL Ticket when the price moved above $125.

Every year I swear we're not renewing and I call to cancel and they lower the price. LOL. It's been ongoing like that for years. I just got to thinking that if I cancelled, he might not watch games all day, and I wouldn't be able to sew all day. Hmmm. LOL.

I just thought of how selfish this sounds, and thought I should add that we work together all day, so it's not like when we both had separate jobs and needed to spend weekends together to "catch up." 

Page 104 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev102103104105106Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use