rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,169
Points 111,265
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 7:55 PM

Robin:

Crossing Alaska is together.   It lacks the border but that will have to wait for now.

I wanted to bump this back to the top so no one missed seeing it.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,089
Points 41,750
Diane replied on Sun, Aug 11 2013 8:45 PM

Wow---it's lovely Robin!  I love the flowers and the black outlines.  Gorgeous!

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 339
Points 9,295

Robin:
Crossing Alaska is togethe

Your Alaska quilt is beautiful, Robin! I love the layout and the black sashing.  Jo

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 8:21 AM

Stephanie:

Sounds like a lot to cover in a three hour class, but I love that you were able to come away feeling that it was worth it and you learned something new. How'd you like sewing with the Janome's?

I thought it was a nice machine. Didn't get bogged down running over the thick seams. I think it might have been the bottom of the line machine, though the show price was still a whopping $800 for a used machine. 

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 8:22 AM

Robin:

Crossing Alaska is together.   It lacks the border but that will have to wait for now.

Robin, that's really beautiful. I love the way the black sash brings out the colors in the fabric.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 5:59 PM

Robin,

Your top is beautiful. It's like looking out a whole bunch of windows and seeing such nature in her glory. Lovely, lovely.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 6:14 PM

Lillie:
I thought it was a nice machine. Didn't get bogged down running over the thick seams. I think it might have been the bottom of the line machine, though the show price was still a whopping $800 for a used machine. 

I was just curious. I'm a huge Viking fan, but like to hear about other machines. Does sound like a big dollar for a used machine. I remember a long ago member,Judy, bought one of their top of the lines and complained that it didn't handle the thick seams well at all.

I hadn't had my first "expensive" machine long and reading about hers made me have this built in "slow down" mode when I came to a thick seam so I didn't break something. LOL Paranoid! Too fun to remember. When I first got the embroidery machine I was back into the dealer about four times that month. ( I coild just hear them whispering, " OMG, here she comes again!" LOL. I had so much to learn about needles, threads, stabilizers, etc. 

After I read the old Singer manual, I realized it's always been this way. I thought you could just thread the machine and be on your way. LOL. Thanks for sparking a memory...  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 6:31 PM

Linny t:

Sounds like you got a lot done already.  I would have to have a day to look things over and a day to pack everything up, too.  I sewed again today, all morning.  Then I got busy with mowing and chores.  I don't have a quilt top yet.  I have very large triangles made from 5" triangles.  I decided to skip the border, so I cut a ton more triangles.  Guess what.  I need a ton more triangles.  Good thing I have tons of those fabrics.  It's scrappy batiks.  All my favorite colors, too.  I got enough made to see how it'll look on my bed and I felt like I could jump in and swim...lots of blues and greens.  I'll show pic of it when it's a top.

It was productive, especially for a Sunday. I got 14 boxes packed up and put out of the way. That's always the struggle starting something like this. With the garage full, no basement it has to go into other rooms that we live in, and trying to keep it  liveable, and be able to get to something if I need it takes more effort than the packing does. LOL. I know you can relate...

I'm really excited to see your quilt. I have never seen one made totally of triangles, and all your favorite blues and greens.  Doing them in batiks will be to die for beautiful. I love the way they all go together like hand dyed especially for your project. What made you decide not to do a border and carry on the design? I think this is a great idea by the way, and not one I've seen. Sounds just awesome. Like that little marshy garden place. All the elements of water, green grass, blue sky and turtles. : )        

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,169
Points 111,265
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 12 2013 9:01 PM

Stephanie, I truly can relate to having to store things in such a way as to not overwhelm the household and still be able to get to them.  We get to practice being resourceful and clever, don't we?  14 boxes is a huge accomplishment for one day.  Staples is a fun store to peruse.  So many things they sell translate into non-office life, don't they?  I used to have one really close by, but they closed it.  I really miss it.  I'm going to Keaton's this weekend with Barb and my SIL - that is, if Barb's up to it.  I have one of those templates you talked about with circles and have been wanting other shapes.  When you talked about the hexes one it reminded me to get one when I'm there.  I've used that circle one over and over for more than just sewing.  

I've seen triangle patch quilts with and without borders.  There's just something about a large, uninterrupted field of triangles of every different kind of fabric that I just love.  I think they look better without borders.   My large triangles are about 50" each, so pretty big.  They are my "blocks".  I have 7 made and need 5 more, I think.  That will make it so the quilt drapes over the edge of the mattress...and large enough to roll up under when it gets cool.  I love that image of a little marshy garden place with water, green grass, blue sky and turtles. It describes this quilt very well.  I took the leftovers of the strip sets that weren't large enough for a full triangle and paired them with muslin to make a whole triangle.  In the quilt those patches look like little sail boats to me.  I love it.  I got some beads a couple of weeks ago that are turtles.  I'll have to put a couple of them on it...maybe in one corner or something so they aren't in my comfort zone, lol.  I'm in love with this quilt already.  I feel compelled to finish it like no other I've made.  As soon as it's a top, I'll post a pic.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 10:01 AM

Linny t:
We get to practice being resourceful and clever, don't we?  

By now we're pro's. LOL.

Linny t:
I'm going to Keaton's this weekend with Barb and my SIL - that is, if Barb's up to it.  I have one of those templates you talked about with circles and have been wanting other shapes.  When you talked about the hexes one it reminded me to get one when I'm there.  I've used that circle one over and over for more than just sewing.

That sounds like fun. I looked up Keatons. We don't have one here, looks like they have lots of stuff for office and art. Cool!

Linny t:
I took the leftovers of the strip sets that weren't large enough for a full triangle and paired them with muslin to make a whole triangle.  In the quilt those patches look like little sail boats to me.  I love it.  I got some beads a couple of weeks ago that are turtles.  I'll have to put a couple of them on it...maybe in one corner or something so they aren't in my comfort zone, lol.  I'm in love with this quilt already.  I feel compelled to finish it like no other I've made.  As soon as it's a top, I'll post a pic.

Can't wait to see a pic. It sounds so beautiful. So neat in thinking that your muslin stripsput you in mind of little sail boats. And the turtle beads will be such a neat touch.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,089
Points 41,750
Diane replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 12:14 PM

Hi Everyone

Linny--I am waiting for pics of your quilt top.  Are they draperies or a bed quilt.

Glad to hear you got so much done Stephanie.  It always feels good.

I had another egg die.  When I looked inside I could see a little dragon in there.  I am sure learning as I go.  A little too much humidity.  And I am not sure when they are really dead yet.  Learning about it all.

I have the boarder on my work quilt.  Finally.  Now I'll mark it and schedule the bee.  Progress has been slow but I am beginning to see the end.

Lillie--wish I could have gone to the class.  Sounds great and a good price too.  Getting together with other quilters is fun too!

Have a great day everyone!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:18 PM

Diane:

I had another egg die.  When I looked inside I could see a little dragon in there.  I am sure learning as I go.  A little too much humidity.  And I am not sure when they are really dead yet.  Learning about it all.

It seems so much sadder when you can see the baby dragon inside. Do the eggs change colors when they die? On the brighter side, you've come so far to have the eggs developing. That part is wonderful. How many are left?

Diane:

I have the boarder on my work quilt.  Finally.  Now I'll mark it and schedule the bee.  Progress has been slow but I am beginning to see the end.

You have to be elated to be this far. The Bee will be a great way to finish it off.  Keep us posted. Look forward to hearing about the Bee and seeing a final pic.

Diane:
Glad to hear you got so much done

I must always seem to be a work in progress. LOL. 

Hope you have a great day too. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,089
Points 41,750
Diane replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:32 PM

Stephanie---One way you know the egg has died is discoloration.  When they turn yellow.  This one was indented and a dark color brown.  Two more are indented but the color is white so I am hoping that they are ok.  I worry like a mother worries about their babies!! LOL  Thanks for asking.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,543
Points 139,188
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 7:19 PM

Diane:
Two more are indented but the color is white so I am hoping that they are ok.  I worry like a mother worries about their babies!! LOL  

I can only imagine how you worry over the babies. Will you be able to tell when they're ready to hatch? I mean like color changes, little movements. So exciting to think they may move in there and wobble. I love nature and all of it's wonders. It's fun to share you experiences.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,169
Points 111,265
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 13 2013 10:41 PM

Diane:
Linny--I am waiting for pics of your quilt top.  Are they draperies or a bed quilt.
 It's a quilt for my bed.  The drape part was making it big enough to drape over the ends of my mattress.

I'm sorry you had another egg die.  That has to be hard for you.  You've worked so hard taking care of them.  How many do you have left?

Linny T

Page 102 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev100101102103104Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use