My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,844
Points 106,330
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 7 2013 4:02 PM

Bug zappers attract more moths than mosquitos.  I have one and it's sad to run it.  I feel like a moth murderer.  What helps is getting rid of the standing water.  Unfortunately there is a ditch of it behind my property that is slow running and continuously full of water this year.  That's where they lay their eggs. I don't seem to have a shortage of spiders.  I run into their webs every morning.  I only go out there to walk the dogs.  I don't let them spend time out there in the evenings because they get bit, too.  It's the worst at dusk and dawn.  During the middle of the day it's not too bad. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

You guys sound plagued with them right now. Where we live we get them for about a week, then between the frogs and the dragonflies they come and eat them all up. Right now even with the water still standing, they're almost non- existent. We have lots of grass spiders too I imagine. I see webs in the dew drops.

Lillie,

It's to my knowledge that mosquitos larvae develop in standing water. Down here anyway. Out where you are, I'm not sure. They really plague the golf courses in town. The county usually has planes that go around in those areas though. They did it out here and so many people complained because the frogs went away and the dragonflies and we had more mosquitos than we'd ever had.

Diane,

We used to put chemicals down for fleas, fire ants and grub worms in the yard when we lived closer to town. I would imagine it would work for mosquitos too. I don't do it out here because of the bees. I worry for them dying off and they really love our jasmine bushes. I know somewhere around here has to be a hive just full of jasmine honey.  

Other mosquito precautions I've read are don't wear white after dark. They're attracted to it. Skin so Soft is good to wear to repel. You can even use it on your dogs too, at least I have with no issues. Ace harware sells it in their stores now.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,921
Points 38,570
Diane replied on Wed, Aug 7 2013 9:58 PM

I just read that for mosquito bites, oragel works very well for the itch.  You can use any gum numbing product.  I was thinking about poor Nate Linny.  Because the bites sound like an allergic reaction, benadryl cream may help.

I know some people get bumble bees through the mail.  I get crickets and meal worms through the mail for my dragons.  It works well.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 7:48 AM

You need some bats. They eat mosquitoes.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,844
Points 106,330
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:27 AM

Lillie:

You need some bats. They eat mosquitoes.

You know, I've seen a lot of fruit bats around at dusk here....good eating, I suppose.

Well, I'm going to ask you all to put my sister Barb back on your prayer lists.  She had another scan and they found a tumor in her brain.  She will have radiation treatments this time, instead of chemo...every day for 2 - 3 weeks.  They are optimistic about shrinking it dramatically and maybe even getting it all.  The treatments are 5 minutes long and they say there will only be hair loss as a side effect, so she's planning on driving herself there and back.  I really hate cancer!   

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:59 PM

Linny t:

Well, I'm going to ask you all to put my sister Barb back on your prayer lists.  She had another scan and they found a tumor in her brain.  She will have radiation treatments this time, instead of chemo...every day for 2 - 3 weeks.  They are optimistic about shrinking it dramatically and maybe even getting it all.  The treatments are 5 minutes long and they say there will only be hair loss as a side effect, so she's planning on driving herself there and back.  I really hate cancer!   

Oh Linny, I'm so sorry to hear this latest news about Barb. The only good thing about it is they caught it really early and they are optimistic about  getting it all.  Maybe you sista can get some really cool do-rags to cover her head while undergoing treatment. They have some really nice ones on the market these days.

I do continue to pray for everyone and their families on a daily basis.  I will say an extra prayer for Barb.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,857
Points 61,180
Robin replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 3:15 PM

Linny,

I too am sorry to hear about Barb.   I know this must be a scary time for her with buying a new home and needing to sell the other one to now find out that she has a tumor on her brain.   I certainly will be praying her and you.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,857
Points 61,180
Robin replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 3:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hope your day is going well.   I've been trying to work at school some this week to get ready for the kiddos, but seems like for every step I take ahead I go backwards at least four.  I worked on recovering my two teacher's chairs this week and broke the stapler twice.   Donn now has to get a new pin to fix it.   Thought I'd clean the three remaining kitchens got one done.  Just couldn't find the motivation, plus in the process of looking for stuff to clean with I had to rearrange space in the storage closet to make room for stuff that was in the wrong places.    I think it will be better next week when my worker bees are there.   I tend to do better at things like that when I have company. 

I'm still working on my crazy purse how about the rest of you?  I've gotten the squares are layout with fabrics I've got to stitch it down then I'll be ready to try and put four pieces together to make a bigger block.  Then we'll see what happens.   I've been thinking about the embellishments I'm going to try.   I figure I'll use the stencils I got from Sharon B and I've got some old laces that are daisies and such that I'll add as well. 

I've going to get off the computer now and see about working on my Alaska Quilt.  I only like about 6 more squares to have them all together then it's time to lay it out and put the rows together with sashing.  Would like to get it together before the school year actually starts.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,921
Points 38,570
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 3:32 PM

Linny--so sorry that you and Barbara are going through this.  It's so good that you are there to support her in such a trying time.  She will be in my prayers and also you as you are her support.  Sounds like the doctors think they can get the tumor so that's good.  But it has to be scary.  Glad to hear that hair loss is the only side effects.  I hate cancer too.  Makes me want to cry.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

Linny,

I too am so sorry to hear the news and will keep you both in my prayers. Lillie's idea prompted me to think of a beautiful CQ head dress in pinks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

Robin:
but seems like for every step I take ahead I go backwards at least four. 

Been that kind of week here too. Sounds like in spite of it, you were still able to accomplish a lot.

Robin:
I'm still working on my crazy purse how about the rest of you? 

Nothing on my end.  I've been working thru a mood swing lately and hopefully it's passing. Yours sounds lovely with the pieced blocks. I'm excited to see what you've done and how you like working with the stencils. I love those little daisy laces. So pretty and delicate.

Robin:
I only like about 6 more squares to have them all together then it's time to lay it out and put the rows together with sashing.  Would like to get it together before the school year actually starts.

That's awesome Robin. Hope you get the time to put it all together as you have planned.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

Lillie:
I do continue to pray for everyone and their families on a daily basis.

Such a sweet and loving thing to do Lillie. Thank you for that.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

Just found out the flosses for the little birds won't be here till the 12th. Poopie doo. I was hoping to have them for the weekend. Not like I don't have lots of other things to do. LOL. I was just in a mindset to work on this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 6:29 PM

Stephanie:

Just found out the flosses for the little birds won't be here till the 12th. Poopie doo. I was hoping to have them for the weekend. Not like I don't have lots of other things to do. LOL. I was just in a mindset to work on this.

I can certainly sympathize with you Stephanie. I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for some silk ribbon to be delivered. Why does it take so long to get here? Not like it's coming from New Zealand. It's coming from California!!!! 

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,276
Points 135,238

Lillie:
I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for some silk ribbon to be delivered. Why does it take so long to get here? Not like it's coming from New Zealand. It's coming from California!!!! 

I know, right?!  It took two days to process, but I'd surely think being shipped from Illinois it wouldn't take UPS that long. I've been spoiled by ordering stuff from Amazon. I order it one day and two days later it's here. Amazon rocks for getting it done!

Where did you order your ribbons from? 

We should make a note of superfast shipping from places. I know ESD, and Rose Rushbrooke have been great sources for fast shipping, Any others? 

Hope our ribbon comes tomorrow. Have they sent you a shipping link for you to know?

Page 98 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev96979899100Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use