rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:11 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

My summer break is rapidly coming to the end.  The next two days are my unofficial end to summer.  Starting Monday I will be going out to school for a couple of hours each day to try and get a head start on all of the things we have to have ready for next year.   Then I'll spend the rest of the time trying to finish up the projects and stuff around the house that I haven't finished.   The next few days are devoted to another wedding shower for another former student who I was asked to make cupcakes for.  This time it's a beach theme with bright colors.  Helping the inlaws move stuff out of Greatma's room at the Assisted living community and some detailed house work.  Plus sewing of course.  

Linny,  Yes it has been a good week.

Lillie,  Glad your feeling so good.  l had a cortisone shot once and had a reaction to it as I was leaving the doctor's office scared Donn to death.  I was walking a long and talking and my throat closed up for several seconds.   Won't be doing that again.   But I've had numbers other kind in my should muscle for creating inflammation, it is a wonderful thing to get back to normal mobility.  Dance all you want!  But do be careful I would hate to learn that you broke something in the process.

Stephanie,  I can only imagine how quite your house is without the visiting puppy.   I picture like with the best friend who came for one night and stayed three days finally went home and you can get your kids back into their regular routine and habits.   It's great to see your children have fun and be happy but the peace of routine is priceless. 

Diane,  Hope the eggs are doing well.  Sending warm thoughts their way.

Jo,  How is the cat quilt coming? 

I have decided to write about my Alaska trip and post pictures in my blog for you all to see since so many of you seemed interested.  This way I won't clutter up our space.   I'll probably work on that too this weekend.   I love to write, as you can probably tell from the link of my post every morning.

My Alaska Quilt which I'm thinking about naming "Crossing Alaska" is from a patter out of Fall 2009 Easy Quilts called Venetian Dreams.  I actually got the idea from a lady on this site called Nana.  She made a quilt using flower prints she had and this pattern. 

Picture of pattern (sideways oops!)

I've made 30 out of 40 blocks so far.  All of the prints are of flowers that grow in Alaska and many of them I got to actually see and photograph.  Here's three of my blocks with all the prints I'm using in them.

When I get to the border I'm going to use prints of wildflowers from my trip to and the black to make it.

And this is the quilt I'm planning for my niece's Christmas Present.   This Pattern is called Sunflower Abundance, Easy Quilt Summer of 2011.

Here are the fabrics I've chosen.  Her mom had told be she was into Turquoise and Browns but I didn't want to do just Turquoise and Brown because I figure when she grew up she would out grow that so I wanted something a little more versatile.  These are the ones I bought on this trip.  Where the yellow is on the pattern will be the flowered print,  The gold will be the brown,  The green the turquoise, the beige the white the gold the purple and the red the orange.

Sorry again for the long post.   Have a great day.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:31 AM

Hi Everyone!

Robin---I love your Alaskan quilt blocks.  The floral prints are gorgeous and I love the black with them---very distinctive!  The fabrics you are using for your niece's quilt are so beautiful.  She will love it.  The pattern is really nice too.  You are amazing with all you do.

Stephanie--how is the table sanding going?

Lillie---so glad to hear that you felt so good you were dancing!!!  I hope the shot continues to work for you.

Linny--I'll post pics but I am not excited about it.  For some reason I am so glad it's over.  Too much going on with the RR's and the work quilt.  On the work quilt, I have sewed on the long sides border.  I will do the top and bottom soon.  Then the hand quilting starts again.  A few of my girlfriends have offered to have a "quilting bee" and help finish the boarder.  I may take them up on that!

The eggs seem to be doing fine.  The incubator was a good investment.  I think there will be babies.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 11:32 AM

Lillie, sounds like that shot just changed your life.  My Mom had one in her neck - many years ago - and she screamed getting it.  I bet they've done a lot to make it better over the years.  Your outing sounds like lots of fun - and you can jump around without pain.  I'm happy for 'ya.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 11:40 AM

Robin, I love that layout for your Alaska quilt.  When looking at those fabrics it brought back memories of the last RR.  That was fun to do.  Your niece's quilt will be pretty with those fabrics.  I love that combination of colors.  It's going to be great.  

Another shower and more cupcakes, eh?  You could make a career out of cupcakes & cookies for showers for students and ex-students alone, couldn't you?  Your cookies were adorable.  Hope you post a pic of beach theme cupcakes.

I can't believe how fast your summer has gone.  Seems like you've been doing more school stuff than home stuff.  It'll be back to the grind again.  Oh, well.  I suppose you're used to it after all these years.  

Enjoy your Thursday...cupcake planning & making.  Sounds like fun to me...

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 11:43 AM

Diane:

Linny--I'll post pics but I am not excited about it.  For some reason I am so glad it's over.  Too much going on with the RR's and the work quilt.  On the work quilt, I have sewed on the long sides border.  I will do the top and bottom soon.  Then the hand quilting starts again.  A few of my girlfriends have offered to have a "quilting bee" and help finish the boarder.  I may take them up on that!

The eggs seem to be doing fine.  The incubator was a good investment.  I think there will be babies.

Diane, it seems like forever ago that you said you were starting that RR.  Still, I'd like to see it, just to see what other groups are doing.  

I think you should take your girlfriends up on that quilting bee.  It would mean less pain for you, plus a fun time.

I am so excited to hear that you think there will be babies....

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:59 PM

Robin,

Love all the patterns and fabrics. You're going to be one busy lady.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 2:48 PM

II did the purple plant with the shells and also added the jelly fish, octopus and turtle.  The motif I did seemed like so much work.  I wished I had better materials to make the jellyfish so I just used what I had.  Now the block is complete and I'll send it back to the owner.  This block was a month late when I got it.  My other block is still in Australia and I haven't gotten a response from the person who has it.  I may have to contact the leader of the group.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

I need to ask for eye candy more often! Wow.

Diane,

You put so much into your work. Your motif is amazing. You find the coolest charms. The little turtle has so much detail. Love the jelly fish too. It's a shame that this RR group has such a stall about it and everything is taking so long. I hope you get your block back. Odd that they wouldn't respond. Sounds like you're making headway on the work quilt too. I'd be sorely tempted to take the ladies up on the offer to help finish it.

My work table is coming along. Not a pleasure on this one. I have a sample that's black with gray green and brown glazes. It's lifeless and droll to me. Be happy to have this one finished and out the door. LOL

Robin,

Your Alaska quilt is going to be so beautiful. The fabrics framed in the black are divine. Perfect choice to be able to see the fabrics. More cupcakes, and another shower? How sweet of you to do that. The fabrics for your neices quilt are beautiful as well. Love the combinations and colors you chose.

Thanks so much for sharing you two. What a lift...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Lillie:
I started jumping around doing her routine. Didn't hurt my knee at all  YAY! But our friend and my DH started yelling at me to stop cuz they were afraid I would hurt myself. DH said I would be really sore this morning because of my antics, but HA! I'm not.  lol  I actually made it down the stairs with no pain or stiffness whatsoever. 

You sound like such a fun person to share time with. Outdoor concerts are wonderful. I'm so tickled to hear that the shot has worked so quickly and so well for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:10 PM

Diane, I think your work is just beautiful.  Whoever owns this block is going to love it.  The purple plant with the shells is awesome and I love that little jellyfish. You did great!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 7:38 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm out and at it.  Started working on getting back into the routine this morning since officially starts in a week for me.  Technically I would be back at the grind next week.  In order to be ready for Open House on the Tuesday we get back. 

Got toppers made yesterday to go on the cupcakes.   So today I'll make the cupcakes and the icing.  Then in the morning it will be decorating the cupcakes and then tomorrow afternoon it will be to go to the shower.   Today is also going to be spend helping the inlaws move greatma's stuff out of her room at the assisted living facility and I'm going to work on my Alaska quilt for a while.  And of course there is laundry.   What a day!

Stephanie,  I got to agree with you that the colors of your project it sounds a little drab for my taste.  Hope the process is about done by now and your on you way to something more exciting.

Lillie,  Hope your still dancing like no one is watching today.

Linny,  It's Friday, Friday, Friday!

Diane,  Hope your lizards are hoppin'

Jo,  Glad you learned about the guinea pig before you got one.   My daughter brought home the class guinea pig in like first grade.  I thought ok he's cute but then she picked him up and the toes or claws or whatever came out and all I could see after that was a giant, hairy rat. 

Have a great August 2nd everyone!

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 7:39 AM

Diane,

Your work is absolutely gorgeous!  I love the colors and the charms.   Your pictures help inspire my cupcake project when I saw them yesterday.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 7:50 AM

Diane,

The block looks wonderful. I think you did a great job on the jellyfish. 

Is you block with Merle in Australia? She is part of my Whisper RR.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 9,640

Robin:
,  Glad you learned about the guinea pig before you got one

I told George last night that I had decided that I didn't want a guinea pig of my own.  Of course he was glad to hear that.  I don't mind at all taking care of Rosie because I know it is not permanent.  I hold her and talk to her and give her "floor time" in the bathroom a couple of times a day.  I want her to be tame when they get her back. It amazes me how much she eats.  On line it says the way to get them to do things is through their stomach. The father asked me at church if she pees on us when we are holding her....I told him no....he said she must like you better than me.   

My arm is still hurting, I will be glad when Tues. comes to see the doctor.  I think the reason I don't feel like doing anything is because it hurts any way I move it. I didn't think I was going to get to sleep last night; it was throbbing so much, but I finally did.  

Robin, I can't believe it is almost time for school to start.  It seems like the summers were a lot longer when I was in school. 

Diane, your block is beautiful!   Glad to hear the eggs are still ok.

George is golfing and I am doing laundry and playing with Rosie.  Oh, and on the computer.  lol            Jo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 2 2013 10:37 AM

normajo1030:
The father asked me at church if she pees on us when we are holding her....I told him no....he said she must like you better than me.   

LOL. Jo. Reminds me of an old Johnny Carson episode. He had a marsupial climb up on his head and take a whiz. I just rolled with laughter watching how he handled it.

I'm so sorry to read that your arm is causing you such pain. It sounds just miserable and hope the pain subsides for you soon.

Page 93 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev9192939495Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use