rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 8:39 PM

Diane:
I think I'll make him a couple of pillows since I have some backing fabric left over.  I have some pillow forms.  He has waited so long for this.

That would be such a nice gift additon to the quilt.

It's so neat to read about how much you've learned in hatching the eggs.  Sounds like it won't be long and Nelly will be laying them.      

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 11 2013 9:12 PM

Today was pretty low key here. I had the best intentions of housecleaning. I did get some things done, but I mostly spent time with the little machine. Following the manual pages I cleaned and oiled it. I had printed the pages and decided to hole punch them and put them into a notebook. After that I learned to thread and wind a bobbin. Then some stitching. The tension was off a little so I managed to get all that adjusted so it stitched perfectly. Quiet little machine. Then I put it away. I'd like to build a  two tier corner  shelf to display it in my sewing room. Might be fun to do an antique display of sorts. I'd really have liked to put it in my curio cabinet behind glass, but I'm not sure the glass shelves can handle the weight.  We'll see. I have plenty of other projects to finish before I'd dive into this one.

After dinner I brought out my wool block. I had to chuckle as I thought about when I started this two years ago. Time sure flies, and I don't know why it seems more fun to start projects than to finish. I  love them all, so there's no rhyme or reason for it really.

Tomorrow's a work day. I've been sitting here typing and watching the dogs love on each other. They got marrow bones today and I'm not sure some of this smooching isn't checking to see if there is anything tasty left over. LOL Otis is sitting on the arm of my chair as always. Pretty soon he'll follow me to go nighty night. He's been the most awesome cat I've ever had. Seventeen years old.

Hope you all have a restful evening.....

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 352
Points 9,570

Lillie:
My knees are so bad right now. I think I have torn the ACL on both knees. I can barely walk down the stairs. I usually have to take them 2 feet on one step at a time.

Lillie,  You poor thing! I am so sorry that you have to put up with such pain. Try to take it easy so that you don't make them worse before you get to the surgeon.

Robin....congratulations on the girls medals!

Stephanie......The little Singer;  I didn't know they had electric sewing machines in 1926.  You were so lucky to find it.

Diane......hoping for the best with Nelly.

Linny.....I guess they got the AC fixed at work. I haven't heard anything about it for a while. 

Well,  we took Haley home yesterday.  I really think she would have stayed forever.  I think I kept her one day too long....she was really getting on my nerves on Wed. Her mother had told me when they brought her down that she had started pulling her eyebrow out (just because her friend had been doing it).  When I saw her messing with them I would tell her to "STOP IT".  I thought she had stopped, but when we got to her house her mom said, "You have been pulling your eyebrows". I guess she had been doing them at night.  I tried to explain to her that she wouldn't be pretty with no eyebrows when she got to be a teenager.   I am soooo glad I am not raising kids now at my age!!   I know I had a lot more patience when I had mine.

Speaking of age......I would like to know how old/young all of you are. If you don't want to tell your exact age that is fine just say 50+ or whatever. I have told you before, I will be 75 in Oct.  

I am doing OK on the windows 8 now. I am glad I have it now.     

Have a fabulous Friday, everyone.   TGIF!!!    Jo

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:15 AM

Robin:

On the way home from Nashville wanted to share that the kids all scored in the 90's .  Two teams scored a 99 .  They all earned a gold medal.  I'm very tired but also very proud.

Mrs.Smith

Way to go Robin!

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:21 AM

Jo,

Haley will probably stop pulling her eyebrows when the kids at school start teasing her about not having any. You're right. I would not like to be raising kids at my age either. I'm 62.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,075
Points 66,425
Robin replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 9:39 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

We made it home about 1 am and now my family is sleeping but we'll be headed to my brother's beach house this afternoon for my neice's birthday.   Only staying until late Sunday morning, would like to stay longer but Donn doesn't like the beach and we are all ready to be home, plus both the girls have to work next week and I have a wedding shower to get ready for. Came home to find a squishy package in my mail.   It was my stencils from Sharron B.

Jo,  I agree with Lillie, she'll stop when she finds a peer she admires more and pulling her eyebrows is not cool with them.  And it sounds like she is a very smart and self assure child, who in time will probably become a self assured young lady and start figuring out for herself what is cool and what is not cool. Oh yeah I'm 48.

Stephanie,   Your little machine sounds like a gem.  Enjoy it.

Diane,  The pillows would be such a nice surprise.  

Linny,  I hope your work week was good and that you are spending your weekend doing something you enjoy.  How's Nate?

Robin

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:15 AM

Stephanie:

Linny,

Looks like admin has been cleaning house and deleted our Round Robin. I hope you can get it back . I know you put a lot of work into it posting all the rules.

Are you talking about Victorian Charm?  All the links are there for me.  I even went back to see if our Cute as a Button was still there and it was.  What's missing?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:21 AM

Robin:

On the way home from Nashville wanted to share that the kids all scored in the 90's .  Two teams scored a 99 .  They all earned a gold medal.  I'm very tired but also very proud.

Mrs.Smith

I think this is wonderful.  I heard on TV they are picking a Teacher of the year for the state of Florida.  They read off the 5 names and I did listen for yours, even though I know you'd have told us you were nominated.  I thought, Robin should be getting that award.  I wish they would have asked us.  We'd have all voted for you for sure!  We all know you as the teacher who goes the extra mile...literally.  You've done such a wonderful job of teaching those kids to have a spirit of community service.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:25 AM

normajo1030:
Well,  we took Haley home yesterday.  I really think she would have stayed forever.  I think I kept her one day too long....she was really getting on my nerves on Wed. Her mother had told me when they brought her down that she had started pulling her eyebrow out (just because her friend had been doing it).  When I saw her messing with them I would tell her to "STOP IT".  I thought she had stopped, but when we got to her house her mom said, "You have been pulling your eyebrows". I guess she had been doing them at night.  I tried to explain to her that she wouldn't be pretty with no eyebrows when she got to be a teenager.   I am soooo glad I am not raising kids now at my age!!   I know I had a lot more patience when I had mine.

I can't agree with you more, Jo.  I couldn't handle having kids at my age either.  I knew a girl who would pluck her eyebrows clean off when she was under stress.  She was really popular and after a while other girls started plucking theirs off, too.  It was the darndest thing.  They all eventually stopped it.  I think they all did it for attention.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:32 AM

Stephanie:

Tomorrow's a work day. I've been sitting here typing and watching the dogs love on each other. They got marrow bones today and I'm not sure some of this smooching isn't checking to see if there is anything tasty left over. LOL Otis is sitting on the arm of my chair as always. Pretty soon he'll follow me to go nighty night. He's been the most awesome cat I've ever had. Seventeen years old.

Hope you all have a restful evening.....

That's cute about the dogs loving on each other to secretly check out if there are any tasty morsels of marrow bones left.  At least they aren't pushy with each other.  I would imagine they do love each other.  I didn't realize Otis was so old.  Must be because of all the TLC you give him.  

I did have a restful evening, thanks.  I ate supper, then leaned back to rest and woke up at 1:00 PM.  I don't know what happened.  Must have been tired, although I didn't feel that tired.  

What a treasure that little featherweight is for you.  Maybe it's the start of a collection.  Do you have any other pieces?  A corner shelf would be cool.  Would you put glass doors on it?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:36 AM

Robin:
Linny,  I hope your work week was good and that you are spending your weekend doing something you enjoy.  How's Nate?
 I don't have many plans for the weekend at all yet, except to mow.  Nate is great.  He got to learn about fishing this week.  His mom and he spent the day yesterday with a friend of Audra's who lives in the next town.  The lady lives right on the water and she fishes all the time.  She had a small pole for her own grandson that she taught Nate how to bait and cast.  He didn't want to leave, Audra said.  Maybe that's why I fell asleep so easily.  The house was quiet without them.

I hope you have lots of fun at the beach.  Sounds like a perfect way to transition out of your TN trip. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:38 AM

Diane:
Linny--you are so right.  I love my lizards and they are my babies.  I have gotten the temperature right for hatching and now know how to add a little water when the eggs need it without water logging them--lol.  Don't know when the incubator will come.  Last time they were growing well when the shells got too wet.  I could see them forming when I opened them. I had kept them alive for about 2 weeks and the incubation period is about a month.  I can probably keep them alive until it comes.  No eggs yet--Nelly is still scratching in her laying box off and on.

Diane, I know these little creatures give you so much joy.  I have learned so much about lizards from reading your posts.  It's been fun going on the journey with you about keeping the eggs alive and all.  My hopes go up with you when Nelly lays eggs and down if they don't make it.  I love hearing about it all.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,141
Points 42,700
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 12:41 PM

Hi Everyone

Jo---when I was in the 6th grade, I thought my eyebrows were too big.  I cut them down unevenly.  My mother was shocked to say the least.  The next day she tried to fill in with an eyebrow pencil.  I don't know what it is about eyebrows.  

Robin---I see you are keeping up with your usual constant pace.  Enjoy the beach.  I would love to go!  My daughter and I went to Ocean City Md every summer for a long weekend.

Stephanie---My cat is 15.  Over the years she has become much more loving and used to the ways I show love for her.  And she is such a purr baby.  Purrs all the time.

Linny--enjoy your time off--glad to hear that you had some quiet time.  So great that Nate learned fishing.  Such a relaxing sport.  My Dad taught me how. He used to go every weekend.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 352
Points 9,570

Robin:
Jo,  I agree with Lillie, she'll stop when she finds a peer she admires more and pulling her eyebrows is not cool with them.  And it sounds like she is a very smart and self assure child

I told her mom to give her a doll and tell her to pull the dolls hair when she felt like pulling her eyebrows.  I just got an email and Nikki said she did that; so we will see how it works.  When the kids were a lot younger, Nikki said she couldn't get them to learn their address and phone number.   I told her to sing them to them, because kids can learn songs without any trouble.   Nikki did it and they learned them right away.   I am glad Haley is not as shy as my boys were.  I was talking to my middle son, Dave last night and he said the same thing.  He is a salesman for a tool company, but he says if he is at a party  etc. people will ask him why he is so quiet.  They all were/are. 

I purchased a little "money tree"  in one of the stores up in Massillon yesterday for $5.  I looked on the computer this a.m. to see how to take care of it , water/ transplanting  and whatever I needed to do.  There they were on Amazon the same size for $29.99   and up!  You keep braiding the trunk while it is green.  The leaves look like the plant that people get arrested for growing. (can't spell it).  Except  the leaves on the other one have jagged edges on them. When I have more time I will take a picture.     Jo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:38 PM

normajo1030:
 I didn't know they had electric sewing machines in 1926.  You were so lucky to find it.

I just had to look this up, and found the first electric sewing machine was introduced in 1889! Can you believe it? The first washing machine was 1907. That seems crazy considering I always associate our electronic conveniences with the first televisions. I suppose that shows my age, doesn't it? I turned 56 this year.

normajo1030:
Her mother had told me when they brought her down that she had started pulling her eyebrow out (just because her friend had been doing it).  When I saw her messing with them I would tell her to "STOP IT".  I thought she had stopped, but when we got to her house her mom said, "You have been pulling your eyebrows". I guess she had been doing them at night.

I too had an eyebrow story. In school one day I was pulling at mine and thought they seemed exceptionally long. I wanted to see just how long so I took my little school scissors and thinking I'd just cut one and see I held them up blindly and took a snip. I saw several sprinkles fall to the desk. In my child's mind thought I should see if the other eyebrow was as long as the first. So I took a snip of that one too. When I got home my mom was horrified. LOL. She asked me what happened to my eyebrows and I ran in to look in the mirror. I had trimmed a whole patch out of each with those scissors right in the center of each eyebrow. Uh oh. Thinking that I might not get in trouble if.....I made up a story and told her the neighbors dog had mange and I must have caught it.... I couldn't tell by her expression whether or not she believed meor if I got in trouble, but somehow I remember a quote she said," Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to decieve. "  I think she must have been somewhat of a philosopher. I don't remember any hollering or punishments really. Just things that made me ponder and punish myself.

And I too think Haley's doing this is an anxiety thing. Best to nip it early. I have a friend my age that never realized she had a nervous habit of pulling at her hair until a few years ago she went to the doctor because she thought she was going bald. The doctor pointed out that during their visit she had been talking and tugging at her hair as they spoke.  

Finally, I have to agree with you about raising kids at my age. I'm still a few years younger, but couldn't imagine having to do that over again in today's world. Just vacationing for a few days and watching the preschoolers wander around fighting over and playing  games on ipads blew me away. The nighttime tantrums to make them go to bed weren't fun either. One great neice about hyperventilated when she couldn't get her way and ended up with a spanking.  I never had these issues with mine. I feel really blessed and lucky that way.

So happy to hear you' re doing well with Windows 8. It has had terrible reviews and I ended up getting Mike's new computer with windows 7 because I read of too many issues with the 8 version. I have Vista on mine and also read lots of negatives on it, but haven't had issues and really have liked it personally. But of course I'm not big on gaming and lots of extras. Anyway, glad you're back online and able to share with us once again...

Fabulous Friday to you too!  

Page 79 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev7778798081Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use