Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,040
Points 65,605
Robin replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 7:30 AM

Linny t:

Robin:

Good Morning Everyone,

Early start here in Tenessee two teams competing at 9:00.  So far one team in and out felt good about their presentation. 

Waiting on the second team right now.

Hope you all have a good day.  

How's the weather there, Robin?  Any cooler than FL?  What is the competition? 

Linny t:

Robin:

Good Morning Everyone,

Early start here in Tenessee two teams competing at 9:00.  So far one team in and out felt good about their presentation. 

Waiting on the second team right now.

Hope you all have a good day.  

How's the weather there, Robin?  Any cooler than FL?  What is the competition? 

Good Morning Linny  and Company,

I'm up and ready for the second round of competition today .   The kids that went yesterday felt real good about their events so hopefully things will go as well today. 

The weather here is really a little cooler not much but it's not as humid either which makes a huge difference.  Also the hotel the conference is at is amazing.   It has two atriums with beautiful plants like bromeliads and orchids and bunches of meandering pathways to walk and enjoy.  Just google Gaylord Orpyland Hotel.   We have three groups of ccompetitors from our chapter here.   One. Group is doing chapter service and their presentation ison that project at an assist living facility in our town. They made visits twice a month from September until now.  The second group did an event called Focus on children.  They worked with developmentally delayed children. In a perk class in a local elementary school.  Today group is a team of one. She is doing public speaking and her speech is on decision making.   

Lillie,  Your sewing room sounds wonderful.  I can't wait to see pictures. 

Diane,  you chicken and ribs sound wonderful. How long do you cook them?

Jo,  I'm glad to see you have worked out some of the kinks.  Donn recently had to upgrade to windows 8 and it took him awhile to adjust and he's a computer whiz so hang in there. 

Darlene,  I know how you feel about a plan not coming together.  Hey in there I'm sure if anyone can do it in this time span its you.  

I hope Stephanie is having a great vacation.  

Have a terrific day !

Robin 

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:27 AM

What an awesome challenge for your students.  I didn't know these activities you've talked about over time would be the subjects of a competition presentation.  What outstanding motivation.  Best of luck to all of them.

Northern summer is much different that southern summer, isn't it.  Just not having that humidity makes all the difference.  It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself there.

I looked at the pics for the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and saw the Cascades Atrium.  It looks like a tropical paradise to me.  Just beautiful.

Hope your day is terrific, too!

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,107
Points 42,080
Diane replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:51 PM

Hi Everyone

I have my work quilt on the floor of my living room so I can start the boarder.  I am beginning to cut the batting to the size of what the boarder will be.  It is so hard to crawl around and do this! lol  I have to do it in stages.

Nelly is scratching and scratching trying to have her eggs.  I put a plastic container in her tank with some sand and she is using it.  I haven't received the incubator yet but I have the temp and moisture down until it arrives---any day now.  I could not get the stencils this month because of other expenses---maybe next month.

Robin---sounds like you are having a good time.  So is it a cooking competition?  Your "get up and go" is amazing.  My mother was like you.  I have to admire her for that. She lived to be 88 before she had an accident and died.  She would have lived much longer though.  She was healthy except for gout.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:08 PM

I got my stencils from Sharon Bogon yesterday.  They are quite nice and very well thought out.  I'm not sorry I spent the money on them as I know I will get good use from them.   She put a lot into packaging them, too.  So nicely done.  It made me feel special to open them.

Diane, I envy you getting down on the floor.  I have a really hard time doing that any more.  It gives me such a pain in my neck and back.  Take lots of breaks in between.    Hope the incubator arrives before Nelly lays those eggs.  

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 347
Points 9,470

Linny t:
Northern summer is much different that southern summer, isn't it.  Just not having that humidity makes all the difference.  It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself there.

The northern summers in West Virginia and Ohio are very humid even though the temps. are not as high as Florida.         Ii can't stand the heat/humidity any more.  I used to lay out in the sun and get tanned all the time, but not anymore.  

Diane.....I am like LInny, I can hardly get down or up from the floor.  Keep doing it as long as you are able or eventually you won't be able to get down at all. 

Haley is still sleeping.  I love her and I know I am going to miss her; but she does get on my nerves with her constant talking.     

Hope you all have a wonderful Wed.     Jo

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:22 AM

Hi Everybody. We made it back from South Carolina. We went to Charleston to have a family reunion with Mike's sis, her kids, spouses, grandkids and my especially loved MIL. I can''t tell you what a great place to visit this was. Full of history. Some of the houses date back to the 1700's. We took a horse and carriage tour through part of it and had a wonderful guide to fill us in on all the historical details as we rode. We stayed right on the beach which was lovely in itself.

I almost forgot. On the way I asked if we could stop at a small antique shop. Not really looking for anything, just wanted to ponder around. Paul's girlfriend spotted a little sewing machine she thought was cute and called me over. I couldn't believe what I saw and the price on it. Had to have it. I think I'll post more detail and the pic in the featherweight, antique forum if I can find it. Never thought I'd be tempted to do that but once I saw it I fell in love. LOL. The best part for me is now everytime I look at it, it will remind me of our trip and how much fun we had.

Still a little groggy this morning. We drove straight back about 12 hours and haven't quite got my bearings yet.  I'll be back on in a bit....  

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:33 AM

Diane,

Hope the incubator arrives in time for this round of eggs.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:36 AM

My knees are so bad right now. I think I have torn the ACL on both knees. I can barely walk down the stairs. I usually have to take them 2 feet on one step at a time. I can still go upstairs regular, but have to go slow. I see an orthopedic surgeon in 2 weeks. Can't come fast enough for me.

I got my stencils yesterday. I can't wait to get started with them. They are very well constructed.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:40 AM

Jo,

That made me chuckle. My granddaughter is the same way. Talk, talk, talk. Jump around in circles and talk some more. When I stay with the kids in Japan after about 2 weeks I need to hole up in my room and be alone. It's just Ted and me at home and 5 of them in Japan. They have a very small home and all that constant noise gets on my nerves after a while. I'm sure I get on their nerves as well because it's one more person taking up space. I do try to stay out of the way, but not always easy.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,040
Points 65,605
Robin replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:43 AM

Good Morning Girlfriend,

we're up and at it we hhave some sightseeing planned for the day.  We're headed for the zoo,then music row.   

Stephanie, welcome back.  Sounds like a wonderful trip. Can't wait to see pictures of your little sewing machine.

Diane,  good luck with the eggs.   Also we have all kinds of competitions there is one or two that involve food but since we cover such a variety of topics we have many events for the kids to compete in.

Linny, The whole center of the hotel is an tropical garden.  There are two fully enclosed atrium.  There amazing water falls and orchids everywhere .I actually had time this morning to get up and walk through them before everyone was hustling and bustling about.

Jo,  I guess your house will seem very quiet when she goes home.

Lillie, I hope your appointment goes well.

Have a great day!

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:15 AM

normajo1030:
Haley is still sleeping.  I love her and I know I am going to miss her; but she does get on my nerves with her constant talking.
 Jo, I just had to laugh when I read this.  I'm the same way when I visit my NY daughter with her 6 kids.  The little ones seem to talk non-stop.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:16 AM

Robin:
we're up and at it we hhave some sightseeing planned for the day.  We're headed for the zoo,then music row.   
 I've always wanted to tour the music row...take pics and post if you can.  I'm so glad you're having such a great time, Robin!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:19 AM

Lillie:
My knees are so bad right now. I think I have torn the ACL on both knees.
 I had an ACL replacement on my left knee when I was in my 40's.  It was a painful thing to have done, but it doesn't give me any trouble at all now.  Wish I could get a spine replacement.  I have scoliosis and arthritis.  It hurts me all the time.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:12 PM

Linny t:

Lillie:
My knees are so bad right now. I think I have torn the ACL on both knees.
 I had an ACL replacement on my left knee when I was in my 40's.  It was a painful thing to have done, but it doesn't give me any trouble at all now.  Wish I could get a spine replacement.  I have scoliosis and arthritis.  It hurts me all the time.

I hear that Linny. I have trouble with my back as well. Arthritis for sure and sciatica as well. A spine replacement would be nice. Have you used your Sharon B stencils yet? I took mine out and looked at them. Then put them back because I have some many other projects I need to get done. Well, I don't NEED to do any of them, I just want to get them done and off my plate and move onto something more exciting. Some of these projects have been hanging around for over two years. Time to be done with them or donate them to someone who might finish them.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 1:36 PM

I think I've caught up on all the posts.

Jo,

Haley's dress looks wonderful on her. What a beautiful little girl. I too had to chuckle on the chattering after spending time with 4 little ones on vacation. I know it will be a visit to remember though with her interest in sewing it will be a fond one for her too.

Lillie,

That's so cool that they make custom grids for sewing tables. between the table, the grid and your new cabinet you'll have an awesome space. I'm so sorry to hear you are having issues with both ACL's in your knees. I hope you won't be in too much pain waiting to get in to see the doctor.

Diane,

I too don't envy you on the floor to sandwich your quilt. It's too bad your complex doesn't have a rec room with tables you could have put together. I have to do mine on my   concrete driveway pad. In the house I have the space, but couldn't keep it from accumlating pet hair or pets for that matter. LOL. It's hardest for me when there's a breeze, but it's good to use the spray baste outside. So happy to hear your dinner party went well and you had good food and a great time with friends.

Linny,

You must be in chronic pain having both scoliosis and arthritis. Do you have to see chiropractor often? I guess that'd be difficult with your work schedule.

Robin,

Your hotel sounds amazing. I just love the southern states of Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina. I have to add South Carolina now too.  Wish I could be there to hear the speech on decision making and pick up a few pointers. I have to give you credit for replying on your iphone. I couldn't manage it. I'll post a pic here of my new "old" machine so you won't have to hunt for it.

I did some research and looked up the serial number for the machine and it's from 1926. When I saw the $65.00 price tag I thought this can't run for that price. I thought it physically looked in good condition with the decals pretty much in tact. And I had never seen a bent wood carrying case. I just had to have it. When I told the man I wanted it, he said, "You haven't seen it work yet." and came and plugged it in. I was even more excited. After I got home I went to Singer's website and they offered a free download of the manual. Awesome. Now I'll know where to keep it oiled and healthy. I'm going to display it either in my curio cabinet or build a shelf for it so that I can see it often and remember what a great time we had. The pic doesn't do the detail justice. There's a real pretty designed faceplate on the left side and design across the top.

Here's a pic:

• Post Points: 50
Page 77 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev7576777879Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use