rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:29 PM

Hi Everyone!

First I want to say the my party turned out very well.  The food was great and we all laughed and talked for several hours and saw some far away fireworks in Md, Va and DC.

I am still recovering!

Jo--so nice that you had the opportunity to get your grand daughter started sewing.  My grandmother taught me and I always remember that when I sew.  It was a priceless gift.  I hope you can spend more time with her  Terrific!

Glad to hear that everyone had a great 4th.  I think next year I'll make chicken in the crock pot.  More economical and last year everyone loved it.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:33 PM

I forgot to say Jo, how lovely Hayley looks in her festive dress.  I know she will treasure it.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:34 PM

So glad to hear that you love your carpet Lillie and that you made it through the "fume stage" ok.  Now you can just enjoy!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:30 PM

Sorry I missed your birthday Stephanie---hope you had a wonderful day!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:36 PM

I can't see where a pic of Lillie's cabinet is posted.  Anyone know?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 9:22 PM

I found the link for the sewing cabinet Lillie----fantastic!  I know you will enjoy it with all the storage and features.  Wow!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 7:33 AM

Diane:

I can't see where a pic of Lillie's cabinet is posted.  Anyone know?

Hi Diane,

Here is a link to my new sewing machine cabinet. http://www.sewingandcraftclub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2777&category_id=303  It's the Quiltmate IV from Koala. Mine will be white.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 334
Points 9,150

Diane:
Jo--so nice that you had the opportunity to get your grand daughter started sewing.  My grandmother taught me and I always remember that when I sew.  It was a priceless gift.  I hope you can spend more time with her  Terrific!

Hi Everyone,   I am not typing a long reply today.....I did yesterday and evidently it didn't make it to our posts.  So this is a test.   Can you see me now? lol   

One of the neighbors came down about 8:00 last night and asked if Haley wanted to come and swim in their pool.  Of course, Haley was jumping up and down with excitement; we found her something to wear and off she went.  She had never even met this lady b4.  Everyone in this town are so friendly.   Jo

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,992
Points 64,395
Robin replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 8:40 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your day is off to a good start and that you all have had a wonderful Holiday Weekend.

Today is packing day.   It takes a little more to get four people ready than one.  Fortunately the girls are really old enough to take care of themselves however, I'm not sure husbands ever are.  

I haven't got a lot to write this morning so I'll keep it short too.

Jo, It is great to live in a friendly town.  I'm sure Haley had a great time.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,500
Linny t replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 10:13 AM

Hi ya' Jo.  So glad you can finally post here again!  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,118
Points 110,500
Linny t replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 10:23 AM

Robin, I hope you all have a wonderful trip.  Yes it is much harder to get 4 ready than 1.   Glad to hear you all had a nice day together on the 4th.

Diane, glad to hear your dinner party was a great success.  I'd like to know how you make your crock pot chicken, if you don't mind sharing your recipe.

Stephanie, I know you're on your trip, so if you can see your posts, hope you're having a grand time.

Darlene, what are you up to?

Was everyone able to see the pic of Jo's grand daughter in the dress she made?  I can see it, but didn't see any comments about it.  This site can be finicky so I don't like to just believe it posted. 

Yesterday I got my hair cut short.  It's cute and cool and I love it.  After I went to Bealls outlet and got a couple of tops, some new jammies and a lounging outfit.  After that I went for groceries and then home in time to nap while it rained.  A very nice day indeed.  I felt pretty for the first time in months and months.

Today I'm hanging out with DS.  Don't know what we'll get into, but it'll be nice to just bum around with her and not have to work in her old house.

I hope everyone has a really wonderful Saturday.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Linny t:
Darlene, what are you up to?

I posted earlier with a long diatribe regarding the last two days.  I tried to post a picture of the project I am working on and lost everything.  So...let's try again with less detail and no picture.

Yesterday was a day of recovery from the 4th.  I took Mom to two appointments, lunch and then came home.  I crashed very early and slept fitfully..

I awoke this morning at 5 due to the heat, humidity and the early bedtime.  I decided to make the most of the early rise and get working on a quilt which I had tucked away in a moment of frustration months ago.  When Kyle returned and my sewing was repositioned to the dungeon it was lost.  This quilt is a wedding gift for my nephew and the wedding is next Saturday.  This put some urgency into finding and resuming this project.  The other factor lending to the urgency was Mom's inquiry yesterday as to the status of the quilt.  She knows me all too well and was anticipating that I would be up all night Friday to finish.  This is still a possibility but I am hoping not.

I had become frustrated with my choice of fabrics and was unhappy with the way the blocks were coming together but refused to start over.  After getting the top together today I am happy with the look of the quilt and glad I didn't ditch my first choice.  I am struggling with the fact that the pattern I chose was for a twin and they have a king size bed.  I decided to add extra borders to gain the width and length.  This has proven to be challenging for me today.  

Normally I am good with math and have no issues with border lengths.  Today the first three borders were all short when I got to the last side.  So glad I wasn't trying to miter them or I would have been even more frustrated.  I am thankful that I was pinning the borders on so I knew they were short before getting to the end of the side.  I hate pinning and frequently skip pins.  After today I believe I will not skip pins.

The third border was not originally part of the plan but I had a panic moment when I measured the top and thought I was going to be way to small with the borders I had cut when starting the project.  I also had to remember the layout of borders I had planned.  I couldn't find my notes and only finally figured it out based on the number of pieces of each fabric I cut.  Thankfully, the original pieces cut were plenty long enough even after adding in two borders before the original.  

My math challenge was that i was only adding width and length once for each border instead of twice which made the quilt seem like it would never get big enough.

If I do this quilt again, I believe I will try to calculate adding another couple rows and making them longer so that I will not need all these borders.  It is a star made out of 60 degree triangles cut from 6 inch strip sets with diamonds and parellalograms (sic?) between.  Fun to do and not really hard.  My points matched up rather well.  Not perfect but pretty close.

Well, my battery is close to dead and I don't feel like going downstairs to plug in.  Guess it is time to call it a night.

Hope that everyone had a fun day and that tomorrow is wonderful as well.

Nighty nights all.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,315
Diane replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 1:21 AM

Hi Everyone

Linny---the chicken in the crock pot is the same as the ribs.  Sliced onions at the bottom of the pot then add chicken and barbecue sauce. It was great last year.  The ribs I had were OK but not meaty enough I though.  It was a great time though.

My Nelly is with eggs again.  I have ordered an incubator and watched a video of instruction so I know how to do this.  I sure hope they do well.  This will be her 4th pregnancy. I messed up with 2 clutches making it too hot then too wet.  She had one clutch under the paper in the tank and by the time I got to them they were dead.  Maybe baby dragons this time!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.  Not going to church---just need to rest.  I'm exhausted.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:34 AM

Hope you have more success with these eggs Diane now that you'll have an incubator. 

Wow Darlene. You must have been in panic mode with your quilt. How are you going to quilt it?

DH and I are making a cutting/storage table for my sewing studio. So far we have cut two shelves. lol  It was too stinkin' hot yesterday. Here is a link to the cutting table we are going to make. I will paint mine white and will not have a place for a sewing machine or the pull out shelf. Mine will only be 5.5 x 4 ft. 

While I was surfing for stuff yesterday, I ran across this info on Patsy Thompson's blog. It's exactly what I've been looking for for the top of my table.

I've had a hard time with my posts the last few days. Hopefully this one will show up and not give me the moderator screen of death.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,992
Points 64,395
Robin replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 11:26 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

We've made it to TN.   Not to Nashville yet stopped for some lunch.  

Darlene,  I'm sure that you'll pull off the quilt.  

Diane,  good luck with the eggs. 

Robin

Page 75 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev7374757677Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use