Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:17 AM

Diane:
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

You too!

Today's Mike's Birthday. We're finishing up getting the house and yard ready for company tomorrow, and out to dinner tonight.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,989
Points 64,365
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 8:12 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy to say I'm in Ft Myers with the family.  Slept like a baby last night.   Today we are going to explore Edison's and Ford's home. Then we are headed to Tampa to tackle Bush Gardens. 

Thank you all for the lovely comments.  I hope that my newfound skills will make be a little more comfortable in my classroom.  I will most definitely go back for year two training next summer, even though I'm still not a big fan of Miami.   The chefs we worked with were excellent teachers and the training was valuable.   

Linny, what terrible week you've had?   I really can't understand why anyone would treat people that way.

i hope you all have a terrific Saturday!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 10:36 AM

Have a great time Robin! Busch Gardens is my fav. Even more than Disney. I love all the animals..... 

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,061
Points 41,295
Diane replied on Sat, Jun 29 2013 12:38 PM

Stephanie---sounds like you and Robin have great plans.  Have fun you two!

I am planning a dinner party for the 4th.  You can see all kinds of fireworks from my 10th floor apartment.  All over the place!  I plan to serve beef ribs I'll make in the crock pot  Also I'll make my potato salad which is always a hit.  It will be pot luck so some people are bring food.  It's a party for 6.  I had it last year and it was so much fun.  What is everyone planning for the 4th?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,989
Points 64,365
Robin replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 11:35 AM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

From the lack of post I would think that everyone has had problems logging into the site, not just me.

Well, we made it home from Ft. Myers and Tampa.  We had a wet day at Busch Gardens but it was still a lot of fun.  They had a great ice show and the kids did get to ride some rides.   The animals were amazing as always but I think they were more active since the rain kept everything cool.

I love rain and am thankful for every drop but it is hindering Donn from working on the potting shed.

I think today I'll spend the rest of it working on some small projects and see how things go. 

I do need some advice.   I am suppose to make a garter for a young lady who is getting married in August.  She wants a simple one to throw and one for a keepsake.  She wants a beaded applique to go on it.  I'm think of beading on two pieces of interfacing that has been fused together and then attaching it by stitching to the garter.  But I'm not sure if this is the best base.  I know it needs to be light and flexible.   Suggestions?

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,116
Points 110,490
Linny t replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 5:34 PM

Hello ladies!  I've not been able to log on for 2 days.  I missed you guys.

Not much is new.  The a/c got fixed today...yeah!!

I'm off Thurs and Fri...Yeah!!

Robin, I've done some bead applique and I like to work on interfacing.  I also back it with something soft so no one will see my stitches and so the interfacing won't scratch when it's next to the skin.  I use something called Lacy's stiff stuff for jewelry pieces and back them with faux suede glued on.  I have also just used the old fashioned cheapo tear away stabilizer that I got years ago wondering why I thought I needed so much, lol.  If you don't use faux suede, use something that doesn't fray, like maybe felt.  I also dye the interfacing to match the beads if I think it'll show through.  I've used a sharpie pen to do this as well as regular fabric dye.  It depends on if it will ever be washed or get wet.  Hope this helps.

Diane, your 4th dinner party sounds like a grand time.  I don't have any plans.  Audra's going to her friend's house.  She lives on the river and has the luxury of watching the show from lawn chairs in her back yard.  She has a pool, to, so Nate will have a blast.  People on my block always have smaller fireworks and that's enough for me.  The dogs bark from start to stop, so it's not my favorite thing, lol.

Lillie, how goes the new carpet?

Stephanie, if you're only able to lurk, try now.  I know you're busy with your company.  Hope you're having a delightful time! 

Darlene and Jo, how are things in your necks of the woods?

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Happy Canada Day to all my quilty friends.

We have had an abundance of rain.  According to the farmers, we need it but it is getting old and I am prepared for some sunshine.  Saturday we drove by a field of corn and Tim commented on how pitiful it looked.  His exact words were "that corn won't be knee high by the Fourth of July".  That is his favorite gauge for the growth of local corn.  We decided that it was planted later because the next field was much farther along in growth.

Last Thursday was the second market day.  The weatherman forecast thunderstorms and Accuweather called for showers most of the day.  With this in mind, I took my tent and set up.  I also put the sides on the tent to protect the merchandise.  This prohibited people driving down the street from seeing what I had for sale.  It also prevented people walking around the lot from seeing until they got right in front of my tent.

Sales were seriously impacted because of these facts but were still okay.

There is no market this week because of the Fourth.  I will be setting up at the annual Picnic in the Park.  I have been preparing for this week.  I hope to finish the Christmas tree skirts tonight.  

Linny, so glad to hear that the a/c finally got fixed.  I can't imagine working in those conditions.

Stephanie, I hope that you are enjoying your company.

Diane, hope that your party goes well.

Robin, sounds like you had a good time at culinary camp and even better time with your family.

The dungeon is calling.  I must get back to the grind stone.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,061
Points 41,295
Diane replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 8:03 PM

Hi Everyone

It's so nice to hear from you since all weekend the site was down.  I missed you.  My dinner party is shaping up.  I am making the ribs and potato salad and friends are bringing baked beans, greens and corn bread.  Also 2 people are bringing Marie Calander's custard silk pies.  It's to die for!!!!  It will be 7 people now---maybe 8.  We will be watching the concert at the mall on TV and of course the fireworks supplied from my apartment and balcony.  The 4th of July and Christmas are my favorite holidays.  

I am just trying to make the dinner as easy as possible.  I do get tired easily.  It should be fun.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:37 AM

Carpet is "supposed" to be installed Tues and Wed. We did not receive a phone call asking us to delay, so I think we're on. I'll be glad when this is over. My house is in total disarray. Things in boxes and bags all over the basement. lol

It's been awful trying to get on this site. I do hope they have it fixed now.

We are going over to friends house for the 4th. They'll be 6 of us. I'm making roasted red bell pepper and corn salsa. We've had it before and it was wonderful. I'm going to get those killer tortilla chips from Whole Foods as well.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:38 AM

lol Darlene. That's the same gauge I use when growing my corn as well.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:43 AM

Oh this was fun. The other day I was in the grocery store and over the PA system they announced they were giving away a fully cooked side of BBQ ribs. You could win the ribs if you knew the voice of Porky Pig. I figured I'd be too late, but moseyed over to the meat counter anyway. I asked if there had been a winner and they said No. I gave them the answer. Voila. I won the ribs for my DH. He's been snacking on them for a couple of days. It's always a little treat when something like that happens. Usually I'm not the winner.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,061
Points 41,295
Diane replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:21 AM

Congrats on the win Lillie!  It always feels great to win something.  I would have never guessed that!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373

Diane:
 My dinner party is shaping up.  I am making the ribs and potato salad and friends are bringing baked beans, greens and corn bread.  Also 2 people are bringing Marie Calander's custard silk pies.  It's to die for!!!!  It will be 7 people now---maybe 8.  We will be watching the concert at the mall on TV and of course the fireworks supplied from my apartment and balcony.  The 4th of July and Christmas are my favorite holidays.  

Sounds like a blast Diane. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 10:05 AM

So good to see almost everyone  back online.

Jo is having trouble. She said when she hits the key to reply it takes her back to the sign in page and when she signs in can't get back to reply. Any advice?

Lillie,

How fun that you won the ribs. Hope the carpet installation goes off without a hitch for you .

Darlene,

Sorry to hear the rain dampened your sales. Hope the other market does well for you over the fourth. We too had the "kneehigh by the fourth of July" expression for corn.  

Page 71 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev6970717273Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use