My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 3:15 PM

Wow Stephanie---you do beautiful work.  What a great transformation.  You are so talented!  So this is extra storage for you?  How did you learn all this?  From your DH? I love the colors in the room and the jars.  Very nice.

I did make it to church today and had a wonderful time.  Robin, you are right about the resistance to go.  I found out today that even people have been  in the church all of their lives have that problem. Between the resistance and my getting sick, I don't make it often enough.

Stephanie--I do have a somewhat solitary life, staying in my apartment days at a time.  I usually watch TV and sew and do housework.  Once in a while I got to a party here or play bingo.  It's not really about anxiety.  It's mostly about avoiding some of these people in the building who I find are strange and can become users.  I used to be involved and lots of the activities and found that I would rather be alone.  I found that when people find out you are a giving person start taking advantage of that. I could tell you stories!!  There are all kinds of people.  I have other friends especially from church who are givers and don't take advantage.  

I finally am finished the quilt top!!!!  I saw the owner of the quilt today at church and gave him the news.  He was happy.  I told him I was worried if he would like my work and some fabrics were hard to quilt.  He understood and told me he is not a person to expect perfection.  So nice!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 4:41 PM

Diane:
So this is extra storage for you?  How did you learn all this?  From your DH? I love the colors in the room and the jars.  Very nice.

Thank you so much. It is extra storage. I wanted to make some project drawers and be able to keep some things separated. My first thought was cones and spools of thread, and then buttons, just anything I wanted to be able to find easily. You know how it is with our hobbies and beign able to find what we need when we need it. I'm self taught. Mike's never been much of a "handyman" or had much interest in it really. I have observed some carpenters from time to time and asked questions about different tools. It's mostly about the math, 45 degree cuts and learning where to put the blade so that it makes the cut in the right spot. It's just kind of a passion of mine I guess. Thanks for the sweet comments about my colors. Most people are more inclined to think they're a little out there, and they are by most decorating standards, but they're cheerful and tropical.

Diane:
I did make it to church today and had a wonderful time.

I'm so happy to hear that you made it and had a wonderful time. It's good to get out and go.

Diane:
It's mostly about avoiding some of these people in the building who I find are strange and can become users.  I used to be involved and lots of the activities and found that I would rather be alone.

Sadly enough I can relate to this. User magnets we've been. I think the worst part about becoming somewhat reclusive is that we've probably missed out on some great friendships. I'm really ok with having a few close friends though. And it's really great to hear that you have a good church with some good people that you like. 

OMG, you finished the top!!!! Way to go! Please take a pic and let us see it. I'm thrilled that the man was so kind ot you. And can't wait to hear when he see it.....Let us share the joy! 

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Diane:
I did make it to church today

Diane, so glad to hear you made it to church and that you had a good time.  As others have stated, there are so many reasons not to go but in my experience, no matter what reasons I give myself to stay home, I always feel better when I go.

Diane:
I finally am finished the quilt top!!!!  

This is great news.  You have accomplished something to be proud of.  Hand quilting something like this is a wonderful feat.  Great job.  I am sure he will be so happy with it when you get it to him.

I agree with Stephanie--make sure you snap a picture before you let it go.  So much of your life, blood, sweat and tears has gone into this project.  You need something to remember it by.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 9,640

Stephanie:
. I realized too that I never posted a finish pic of the dining room cabinets. I wanted to stage them out so they looked like they were complete. Anyway, the first shot is the drawer changes

The cabinets look wonderful!  

Linney ,  you and Barb have accomplished so much this spring; mostly by yourselves. It reminds me of the song by Helen Reddy, " I AM WOMAN" (hear me roar)!!   I always loved that song.

I hope you are doing good in Miami, Robin.

I am like you, Lillie, I like to do hand work while I watch TV.  I need to have something to do every night, so that I don't snack.  I have started keeping a baggie full of  "Cheerios" by my chair to snack on like Linny says she does.  I want to see if it lowers my LDL's. 

How are your babies doing, Diane?

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Lillie, finally chiming in to say that you did a wonderful job with the napkins.  Love the choice of fabrics and your miters are great.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Well, it has been quite a week.  The first day of the market was a success.  I have rethought my display set up and the people shopping seemed very receptive of the new view.

There was a good volume of shoppers and they were not afraid to spend their money.  Always a plus at an event like this.

Customers were very receptive of my feature item of the week.  I think the vendor next to me was sick of hearing the song and dance by the end of the day but it worked well and sales of the feature item were okay.

Everyone seemed happy with the concept of the loyalty card and I have decided to offer a weekly drawing for people who show their loyalty card.  Time will tell if this works or not but worth trying.  Figure I will give a small item to the winner.

Weather was wonderful.  The temps were perfect and the wind was just enough to keep things comfortable but not enough to make displaying a struggle.  There were three new vendors who were all unprepared for the wind.  I shared my experiences and told them to invest in something to anchor their tents for next week.  The market manager thanked me for this.  Fortunately they didn't have to worry too much this past week.

On a down side to the weather, I got my annual first day sunburn.  Didn't mind the burn on my arms but the back of my legs are still sore.  My nose is also tender but not horrible.  The bad thing is that the front of my legs are still pasty white.  I will have to face differently this week Thursday to complete the process but my legs never did get tanned last year.  I have a wedding in July which I really want to be pleasantly colored for.  

I may have told you about the shop hop I went on the beginning of June.  I was lucky and won a $50 gift certificate at one of the shops.  Mom and I went venturing Friday to spend my loot.  I got some great things.  She had some great kits at reasonable prices.  There was a kit for a table square which had everything you needed to complete and then you have the pattern for future projects.  She also had some cute panels Buy One Get One Free and her prices were spot on.  

During the shop hop, I caved in and bought a set of templates for something called Scrap Crazy.  There are four templates to use with 6 inch strips.  I have made some Red White and Blue squares for table toppers.  They work up about 16 inches square and if you don't do scrappy but control your use of fabrics, they make a nice pinwheel.

This inspired me to make a throw with my purple batik scraps.  I turned the blocks wrong and so the pinwheel is not as distinct but it was fine and fun.

Today I spent an hour cutting green batiks for another throw.  I had to quit sewing to make dinner but after I get off the computer, I will be back to sewing.  I have cut this very controlled and that is making piecing very easy because there is no thought.  Each block will be the same.  If I turn them correctly this time, my pinwheels will be beautiful.  (or at least I hope so).  I will post when it is finished.

With that typed, the dungeon is calling.  Have a great evening and be well.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:26 PM

Thanks Jo!

normajo1030:
I like to do hand work while I watch TV.  I need to have something to do every night, so that I don't snack.  I have started keeping a baggie full of  "Cheerios" by my chair to snack on like Linny says she does.  I want to see if it lowers my LDL's. 

I should try that. My trouble is I like salty snacks and I'm not sure cheerios would sctratch that itch. Maybe chex mix?  

What's your latest project now that you have the napkins finished. More cool aprons?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:29 PM

Darlene,

Congrat's on the first sale day being a success. And for winning a prize at the shop hop. The templates sound like fun, and you sound so upbeat and motivated. Love to see some pic's. ...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:24 PM

Lillie:

What is ESD?

I didn't see if there was an answer, so just in case not, it's Evening Star Designs.  She caters to CQ.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:34 PM

normajo1030:
I happened to remember the other day, that my mother always covered the heat registers with cheese cloth (we had a coal furnace); so I covered our registers with cheese cloth and you wouldn't believe how it has cut down on the dust on things.  I also used my sweeper attachment to clean down in the heat/air pipes as far as I could reach.  I just wrapped the cheese cloth around the covers and scotch taped it underneath.  Now I have to remember to get some more cheese cloth and where I bought it.
That sounds like a good idea.  One of those, "Why didn't I think of that" ideas.  I'd do anything if I could cut down on the dust in this house.  Thanks Jo. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:41 PM

Stephanie:

Diane:
Stephanie--would you post a pic of your wood project?

Had some patching and priming to do to give you a better idea of what the finish will look like. I realized too that I never posted a finish pic of the dining room cabinets. I wanted to stage them out so they looked like they were complete. Anyway, the first shot is the drawer changes. The brown one on the left was part of the oroginal plan. But see the gap at the top? Just wasn't happy with that. The drawer on the right I've added the trim to and closed that gap. I think they'll look more finished now. I also plugged the holes for the knobs. I think handles look better. Do, redo. LOL

And the dining room:

Stephanie, I like the white drawer a lot.  Also, your built in dining room cabinets.  I love the way you've arranged the silk flowers on top with the bird placed just perfectly.  Is that a Tiffany lamp in the center?  Looks beautiful.  Talk about "I am woman"!  You are more talented with power tools than most of the men I've known in my life, lol.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:43 PM

normajo1030:
It seems like it is always hard to get up when I "have to" and when I don't have to be somewhere, I can hop out of bed with no problem.
 Me, too, Jo.  Especially when it's time to wake up for work.  I wake up so early on the weekends, but during the week I drag out of bed just in time to make it there on time.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:45 PM

Robin:
I'm up and packed.  Planning on pulling out around 6:00 to try and get ahead of traffic on the road.   I'm not as anxious as I was about the whole thing.  Me and the man up stairs had a little talk and I've been reminded He is in total control.   I'm sure that satan will challenge my thinking but I'm going to try my best to focus on the positives.  I going to learn as much as I can so I can be a better teacher.    That's what truly important.
 You go, Robin!  Proud of you!

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 8:52 PM

I can take a pic of the quilt but I thought I would do that when I finished with the border.  I will post before then though.  I've been talking about it so much I know you probably should see what I'm talking about.

My babies are doing fine Darlene.  I am working with my iguana every day trying to tame him.  I don't know how well it's working but instead of hiding his face totally when he sees me he now tucks his face away but is always watching me.  I know he wishes he was out in some rain forest somewhere but he's here so he needs to learn how to behave.  My dragons are doing well.  No more eggs---maybe next year.  By that time I probably will have an incubator so hopefully they will survive.  The dragons are beginning to come when I call them---when they want to.  Some times the male will come on my easy chair and play---getting on my head and running around me.  Last week I called out--"Guido come to me so we cand play" and he came right away.  The do run around my apartment sometimes.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 9:16 PM

Have a great trip Robin!

Page 65 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev6364656667Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use