My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:26 PM

Darlene, loosing 20 lbs. is huge.  I stopped smoking cigarettes and switched to the e-cig thing.  I put on a lot of weight, just as I would have if I had quit cigarettes alone.  Then I started with the high cholesterol issues.  Eating Cheerios seems to be the ticket for me.  After a couple of weeks of eating them instead of snacking, my bad cholesterol was down 24 points.  All the health stuff takes time and I'm learning to be more kind and considerate to my physical self the older I get.  Up until Barb no women had gotten cancer in my family except my father's one sister.  She lived until she was 78, so not exactly a short life.  My sister Barb takes after her in so many ways people often said she could have been my aunt's daughter.  My mother's side has lots of longevity in both the women and men.  I'm hoping some of those genes play into my fate.  You can't live your life in worry over it, can you?  We do what we can and face what comes with God.  That's the best we can do here.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:28 PM

Lillie, thanks for the link to Allie's class.  I will save it for the day when I have time.  I haven't even looked at it well because I'm sure I'll be tempted to take it, too.  Your fabrics sound pretty.  It'll be fun to see what you end up with from the experience.  I'm sure you'll learn a ton.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:31 PM

Robin, that's good news about your niece.  I can't imagine the torture it is for her parents to wait for her to be home.  I'm sure your niece will rebound even more for being surrounded by her family, too.  God bless them.

It does help to work with smaller pieces, doesn't it?  Did you get far with your purse today?

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:38 PM

Robin,

So good to hear your neice is feeling better and will be back home. Way to go for getting back into your purse project.

Lillie,

The craftsy class sounds like fun. You'll love her book if you don't already have it. I see she's offering a free copy of it for download with the class. I checked out the fabrics too, and they look really pretty. Hope you enjoy it.

Darlene,

Good to hear from you, always. Sounds like things are on an upswing for health this week. You have been a crazy busy girl with prepping projects for the sale. I'd be tempted to do at least some Christmas. It seems that doing it  far in advance sells more because people aren't so cash crunched as they are the closer it gets. Just a thought. Denim market bags sound like a hit, and it sounds like you have really thought out some marketing with the featured items and  loyalty cards. Hope you do really well at the shows.

Jo,

Thanks for the info on the white iodine. Hope Sammy continues to heal. Once again, I loved those aprons, and I think they'll make great gifts.

Diane,

Hi, how are the dragons? And Tito? And you?

Linny,

I'm quite relieved to hear you take care to have your physicals once a year. I too never realized your family had such a history of cancer. I'm so happy to hear Barb is regaining her strength and it was cute to read about her hair. Like Diane, I had a friend that went from stick straight hair to full bodied and curly. She laughed and said it was almost worth the chemo to have that gorgeous head of hair grow in.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 6:46 PM

As for me, I was a little out of sorts yesterday. Needed a little timeout and I ventured over to the quilt show website. I see that Sharon Schamber is offering instructional videos for quilting and free motion. I bounced and watched her draft some feather designs. She's pretty amazing and in her own right deserves many thanks for sharing her experiences in helping teach. Funny after seeing Zentangle, I think some of the same concepts could be used for design in quilting.

I've been all over the web and books learning and gathering inspiration in my spare time.

Jo,

I knew there was something I forgot to acknowledge. The book site was pretty cool. I haven't signed up yet, but I have it bookmarked for the day I can enjoy a good book. Thank you.    

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:53 PM

Linny t:

Darlene, loosing 20 lbs. is huge.  I stopped smoking cigarettes and switched to the e-cig thing.  I put on a lot of weight, just as I would have if I had quit cigarettes alone.  Then I started with the high cholesterol issues.  Eating Cheerios seems to be the ticket for me.  After a couple of weeks of eating them instead of snacking, my bad cholesterol was down 24 points.  All the health stuff takes time and I'm learning to be more kind and considerate to my physical self the older I get.  Up until Barb no women had gotten cancer in my family except my father's one sister.  She lived until she was 78, so not exactly a short life.  My sister Barb takes after her in so many ways people often said she could have been my aunt's daughter.  My mother's side has lots of longevity in both the women and men.  I'm hoping some of those genes play into my fate.  You can't live your life in worry over it, can you?  We do what we can and face what comes with God.  That's the best we can do here.

We must have been posting at the same time. I missed this. 20 lbs is huge (Darlene). I'd be thrilled to lose 20

Isn't that crazy that the e- cig was as hard on your weight as quitting? I've tried them a couple times, but they burnt my throat. Can't seem to regulate it. They are nice though in a workplace that smoking is prohibited. That's a good tip about the Cheerios and cholesteral. I'm sure mine is high right now too. It does take time to change bad eating habits doesn't it? My stomach is starting to change some of them for me. I can't seem to tolerate hot dogs, bologna, or processed meat any more without getting gassy and crampy. At least I'm getting Mike off of wanting beef or pork all the time. He's getting to where he can feel the pressure of those and how he feels too.

That's really interesting about Barb and your aunt. I hope some of your mother's gene pool play well for you too.

We only had one of my mom's eight sisters have cancer and she's in her 80's now herself. I think they were all heavy smokers. My favorite aunt smokes three packs a day and coughs and coughs. They found a spot on her lung about 15 years ago and wanted to biopsy it. She told them that they weren't going to cut on her. She believed as did her family that opening and exposing cancer to oxygen would cause it to grow and spread. Not sure if that's a wives tale or not, but it worked for her. She's mid 80's now.  She's been blessed. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945
Darlene replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 10:45 PM

Stephanie:
20 lbs is huge (Darlene). I'd be thrilled to lose 20

It has taken me a couple years to lose that 20 lbs.  I recently crossed a threshold that was major to me.  I have not been at or below this weight since Kyle was born so I am happy but would still like to take off some more.

I have played some more with the reusable shopping bags and have a couple completely finished.  I am making them from legs of old jeans and some scraps of other denim.  I started with cutting 6.5" x 15.5" pieces and stitching 7 together.  I had a lot of smaller pieces so I have been piecing them together to make more strips.  I am overlaying the two strips and using the decorative stitches on my machine with bright colored threads.  This will create a rough edge along the seams.  When I get the panel 42" long I make it into a tube and serge the bottom closed.  I am also making box corners so that the bag will hold groceries nicely.  The handles are cut from the inseam of the leg before I cut it and are approximately 20" long.

Took pictures but my camera will not sync with my computer right now so I will have to post tomorrow.  Battery is low and Kyle says that is my problem.  Who knows??  I tend not to be inclined toward these things and rely on the men in my life for my technical support.

Guess I should call it a night.  Tomorrow is another day.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 5:12 AM

Darlene:
I have not been at or below this weight since Kyle was born

That's awesome Darlene. And doing it slowly over time is said to have a better chance of keeping it off. WTG!

Darlene:

I have played some more with the reusable shopping bags and have a couple completely finished.  I am making them from legs of old jeans and some scraps of other denim.  I started with cutting 6.5" x 15.5" pieces and stitching 7 together.  I had a lot of smaller pieces so I have been piecing them together to make more strips.  I am overlaying the two strips and using the decorative stitches on my machine with bright colored threads.  This will create a rough edge along the seams.  When I get the panel 42" long I make it into a tube and serge the bottom closed.  I am also making box corners so that the bag will hold groceries nicely.  The handles are cut from the inseam of the leg before I cut it and are approximately 20" long.

I can''t wait to see these! They sound so pretty with the decorative stitches in the bright threads. Hope you can get your camera synced and be able to give us a peek.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,040
Points 65,605
Robin replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 6:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Thursday.  

I'm so glad to see so many of my friends online.   I love it when we all get time to visit.

My niece arrived home safely last night and the nurse released her into her parents care.  They are suppose to try and see a doctor this morning and then she is to rest and heal.  I'm not sure of the details but my sister in love text me last night say she was home and that according to the stories they have heard she is extremely blessed to be here.  Thank you again for all of your prayers.

So much for my week off from school.   I been out there twice, and had to run errands for school some yesterday while I was in Tallahassee for my doctor's appointment.   I'm not fussing I just wanted to let everyone know I failed my test.   I guess I can't stand not working at least a little every day. 

Good News I ran into a friend from another school who is going to the culinary training I'm going to.  I'm sure she'll be in a different group since she has been doing it much longer than I have but at least maybe I'll have someone to go to dinner with.    

Lillie,   Your class looks so tempting but I talked myself out of it.  I've got to many projects going right now.  But I can't wait to see your results.

Linny,  It is so good to hear you are taking care of yourself.   I think that is such an important part of growing older.   I've got to start getting better at it.

Stephanie,  What fun project are you working on these days?   I love to hear you talk about painting techniques.

Darlene,  So good to hear from you.   I'm glad your mom got the blood she needed and that it made such a difference.    I hope that Tim's report goes well and that Kyle finds a job soon.  If the economy is the the same up there as it is in my small town I'm sure it is not easy.  

Diane,  How much more do you like on your quilt?

Jo,  I'm going back and looking for that book link you posted and Stephanie mentioned. 

Well I'm fixing to get up and get with the program the yard weeds are calling as is the ten bags of mulch.  But I promise I will not work for school today.  I was but decided not to do it on my birthday.   I'll pick up on school stuff tomorrow.        I hope everyone has a very Happy Thursday.

Robin

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 7:14 AM

Stephanie:

I ventured over to the quilt show website. 

Did you see that Libby Lehman is very ill? She had an aneurysm and then had a stroke (if I am remembering correctly) about a month ago. The family is asking for monetary donations to help with soaring medical costs. Gosh, I feel so bad for her and the family.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 7:17 AM

Darlene,

Losing 20 lbs is wonderful. Well done. Unfortunately, I think I know where your 20 lbs landed.  lol

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 7:18 AM

Can't wait to see the pics of the reusable bags.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 7:26 AM

Robin,

Happy to hear that your niece is back home and can get proper medical attention. I have heard so many stories about people going over to do missionary work and getting really sick while there. 

I just got notification that my fabric will be here on Fri. I was not expecting it to be here so quickly, but it shipped from Denver. That's just 1 hour away.  Wahoo!

I'll take pictures of all the lovelies and post them.

On another note. My whisper rr is going to take much longer than I expected with all the international shipping. Some people have started receiving blocks. Mine is in the Netherlands (how cool is that!) and I am waiting for the Australian block to arrive. The other 3 blocks are USA. There are only 5 of us in this RR. I will make 1 additional block after I receive all completed blocks and then I'll have 6 for a pillow or wall hanging. 

Happy Thurs everyone

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

So frustrated.  The camera will still not transfer the pics to the computer.  The file comes over but missing the last two which are the ones I took of the bags.  

I am going to take some pics again this morning and see if I can get this resolved.  In the meantime, I leave you all hanging on a cliff.

Had a lot of rain again last night and the dungeon floor is wet again this morning.  Kyle had plopped laundry in the wrong place and now it is all soaked.  I will be including laundry in my daily routine today.  I usually try to stick to just one load a day but seems like that will not be true today.

Mom is MIA this morning.  She is not answering her cell phone and has apparently turned off her answering machine for her land line. I have intentionally set up her cell to not have voice mail because she doesn't know how to retrieve messages but with the answering machine off, I have no way to leave a message.   I will have to go over there if I don't hear from her soon.

Hope you all have a good day.  

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Robin, you have not failed any test (if you mean the challenge you set for yourself not to do anything school related this week).  It sounds like the things you did were needed and should not have been avoided.

If I gathered correctly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Enjoy.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 56 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev5455565758Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use