My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Sun, May 19 2013 8:52 PM

Robin, congrats on getting the pond out and filled.  Just thinking of it makes me tired.

Robin:
I guess sometimes we have to step away to pass the doing it to be doing it. 

So true, Robin.

Robin:
I've got to say I'm stumped a bit.  I love the idea of a purse but I'm not really a dress up and go out kind of gal.  So an evening bag seems like a waste of everyone's beautiful talents.  So I'm thinking of making a day bag .   However, this would be my occasional day bag not everyday bag.  Does that make some since?
 Have you checked out the link that Stephanie posted?  So many ideas, but a few really rang for me.  

The only thing I know for sure about my bag is the frame, that it will have a chain handle and long fringe or a tassel on the bottom.  Probably a silkie on the front, too.  This and I know I'm going to keep keepsakes and jewelry in it, I think.  If I ever happen to need a special bag, I'll use it.  I go to everywhere in jeans, so it won't really match my usual...maybe a church purse...that'd be nice.

Don't feel bad about posting here.  I'm doing it too.  We'll get to posting over there when we post pics, I'm sure.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Sun, May 19 2013 8:53 PM

Diane:

Thanks Linny.  I did get a good nap today.  Sometimes it's hard to listen to what your body is telling you.

Isn't that true.  I'm the one who tries to push past anything I might be feeling.  I always regret it later.  Glad you got a good nap, Diane.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Sun, May 19 2013 9:02 PM

Stephanie:
Sounds like you and Barb had a marathin moving day. You must be tuckered out! Hope you're not too stiff, and can enjoy your Sunday too. 

It really was a marathon.  I was a little sore this morning, but nothing a little yard mowing didn't fix, lol.  Barb was incredibly exhausted and sounded like she was glad she didn't have to act "energetic" for company.  I got a lot done today and still had some time to be creative.  It was a good, quite day to myself.  I needed that.

Stephanie:
I'm going to seam rip the leather from the old purse and once I get it apart I'll pin it to muslin and trace the pattern. I think once I get a blank visual of the outline it will be easier to work a final design for the patchwork part of it. I've been back to working on my spring block too. So nice to have it in my hands again....

Finding that vintage bad was such a stroke of luck for you.  It'll make it so much easier to get your pattern right at the top.  I was thinking I don't know how much extra to plan for the gathers at the top.  I like the idea of fastening it onto wood or cardboard strips before putting it onto the frame.  That would make it easier to get the gathers right and to handle it while putting the frame on it.  

That's cool that you worked on your spring block.  It's kind of like the beach.  I love the beach, but don't go often, even though it's only 15 min. away.  Once I do go it feels so great I wonder why I didn't go sooner.  Life gets in the way, doesn't it?

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,982
Points 64,165
Robin replied on Mon, May 20 2013 5:04 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope this morning finds bright eyed and bushy tail.  It's Monday!    Only one more in the school year since we get next Monday off for Memorial Day!

Stephanie,  Thanks for the inspiration.  I've been doing some research but I just can't seem to settle on the style of bag I want.  But yesterday I think I decided on a purse I've made several times.   I'm going to shrink it some because I think it would be cuter if it was smaller.  I also started pulling fabrics.  So you post could not have come at a better time.  

I can't wait to see yours and Linny's vintage purses come to light.

Linny,  Moving is a lot of work.   I know Barb is so thankful to have you to help her.   Mowing is a great way to work out your soreness, wow your a tough lady.

Diane,  So sorry that you are feeling poorly.   Allergies had me down a few weeks ago.   I hate something that just picks on you to be picking.

Got go I want to look at Stephanie's post a little more before I go to work.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Mon, May 20 2013 11:23 AM

Happy Monday everyone!  

Robin, I don't think of myself as tough.  I think of myself as a whiner, lol.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,058
Points 41,235
Diane replied on Mon, May 20 2013 12:14 PM

LOL Linny!!!  I am a whiner too---but we can rise to the occasion can't we!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Mon, May 20 2013 3:50 PM

Yes we can, Diane.  Yes we can.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 20 2013 5:59 PM

Linny t:
I ordered the frame for my purse today.  It's from Purse Paradise and is Victorian and pretty.  That started me off thinking of it and it's been running through my head since I placed the order.

Look forward to seeing your frame! This is going to be fun!

Linny t:

I like the ideas you gave for the pattern.  The pics in the link demonstrate this perfectly.  Such variety!  Thanks for sharing it.

You're welcome!  Something to inspire everyone in these pic's.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 20 2013 6:12 PM

Linny t:
Finding that vintage bad was such a stroke of luck for you.  It'll make it so much easier to get your pattern right at the top.

I have never made a purse. Totes, but never a purse and especially one with this type of frame. I think being able to break this one down will make it so much easier.

Linny t:
I was thinking I don't know how much extra to plan for the gathers at the top.

I'm thinking to do a tutorial in my blog of the process and share it with anyone that's interested. I will measure the increase in inches for the pleats and show you a pic of how the points are cut  so the pleats fold right in smoothly with the top.I'm going to start it in the morning. I have it all ripped out now.

Linny t:
It's kind of like the beach.  I love the beach, but don't go often, even though it's only 15 min. away.  Once I do go it feels so great I wonder why I didn't go sooner.  Life gets in the way, doesn't it?

Too much so sometimes. It doesn't help that aging brings on tiredness. LOL. The mind is willing, but the chair too comfortable. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 20 2013 6:14 PM

Robin:
But yesterday I think I decided on a purse I've made several times.   I'm going to shrink it some because I think it would be cuter if it was smaller.  I also started pulling fabrics.  So you post could not have come at a better time.  

Awesome Robin! Can't wait to see yours too!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 20 2013 6:16 PM

Diane:

LOL Linny!!!  I am a whiner too---but we can rise to the occasion can't we!!!

LOL. Include me in on that, and yes we can rise to it. At least as long as we can get up. LOL. Hope you are feeling better today.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 20 2013 6:27 PM

Linny t:

The only thing I know for sure about my bag is the frame, that it will have a chain handle and long fringe or a tassel on the bottom.  Probably a silkie on the front, too.  This and I know I'm going to keep keepsakes and jewelry in it, I think.  If I ever happen to need a special bag, I'll use it.  I go to everywhere in jeans, so it won't really match my usual...maybe a church purse...that'd be nice.

Your plan sounds lovely. I was going to ask if you were doing a silkie. I have been known to be a little eccentric and carry a beaded bag while I'm wearing jeans. I think the girls in the quilt and needlework shops would love to see them. The last time I was in the needlework shop I told them I was buying for a CQ and they encouraged me to bring it in next time so they could see it. They were such sweet ladies.

Now we need to hear from Darlene.....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,310
Erin replied on Mon, May 20 2013 8:15 PM

I have viewed the media files and you all have produced some beautiful blocks!  I've made two 12 inch test blocks today with cotton scraps and some 'fancy' stitches on my sewing machine.  I'm eager to buy some ribbon, lace, buttons and charms so I can really give my blocks some pizzaz!!! I'm going to buy a book or two and need to get the spiral sewing down pat. I try to spiral but still end up with blocks instead of strips..lol  

I hope that you all are safe and no one was in the path of the tornado today; it is so sad :(

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Mon, May 20 2013 9:06 PM

Hi, Erin.  Welcome!  Cool that you're jumping in and doing.  Sewing a block that has all kind of shapes is counter-intuitive at first.  Still, I've seen some beautiful CQs that have only squares and rectangles.  That's the beauty of CQ.  You make it your own and no one has one like yours.  It's a really freeing process.  Hope you share pics with us and thanks for the compliments on ours.  We have a lot of fun here and there's tons of talent to go with it.

Those were some ugly storms.  I used to live in Illinois and remember that fear that comes with a tornado.  I just pray for all those folks.

Linny T

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,310
Erin replied on Mon, May 20 2013 10:41 PM

Hi Linny.  Here are the three 12.5" blocks I made today.   I am using scraps that were sent to me last week and since I was already separating them into color families I made my blocks the same way!   Tomorrow will be blue, red, orange, yellow and one with all colors so I have even amount of blocks. :)     Once I get embellishments I'll be in heaven for a while...this method of quilting is relaxing and I'm enjoying learning it.

My first 3 CQ Blocks: Green...Purple....Black

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 50
Page 38 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev3637383940Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use