My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm almost finished with my whisper rr block. Just have a few little beads to add to one of the lace pieces. And add a few buttons. But I wanted to show it to you anyway. I will also post this in media. It's a 6-1/2 block, but I made my 8-inches. This was really fun and I learned a lot. Now I'm not at all worried about my skills and tackling something more challenging.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,175
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 3:37 PM

Lillie, I commented on it in Media.  It's just lovely!  Why is it called Whisper?

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,854
Points 61,090
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 5:40 PM

Lillie,

Your block is absolutely gorgeous.   I love the delicacy of your block .    

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,854
Points 61,090
Robin replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 5:45 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your off to a wonderful day with great places to go and great things to do.  

I am off to the car wash, fundraising for FCCLA and the kids going to Nationals.   Although it's a lot of work should be a lot of fun to.  
Still battling the old allergies but their getting better.  

What a big and bright full moon we are experiencing this week.   I had no idea how bright it was until the morning.  It actually woke me up instead of the sun.   

I am steadily working on the second Country Cottage.   I hope to have it finished by the end of the week.  I lack and windows and all of the embellishments.   I'm finding applique particularly challenging.  I don't do something right with my hands.  I seem to be constantly twisting and shifting by fabric. 

Lillie,  I said before I'll say it again your block is absolutely gorgeous!   It's inspiring.

Linny,  I hope this Saturday your leg is not bothering you and you can get about whatever your heart desires.

Stephanie,  How's the counter top coming along?

Diane,  Do you still have your egg?  I know you lost a bunch but didn't you say you had one or two left?

Darlene,  It's check in time.   Come out of the Great Green room and update us.

Jo,  What's the word on your new wall hanging?

Rub, a Dub, Dub,  it's time to scrub.  

Saying a prayer we make some money,   end of the month and all may not be the best day for a car wash.  

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:00 AM

Thank you everyone for your lovely remarks about my Whisper block. I've come such a long way in one year and it's all due to your kind words and encouragement.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,854
Points 61,090
Robin replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:05 AM

Has anybody ever done Sharon B's TAST?    I been thinking about doing something like that.   I think it might help me look at stitches different.   I'm also thinking about doing a journal to go along with it.  You know draw the stitch it various designs and then try them on fabrics.   Maybe adding the samples on the page at the end.  What do you all think?  

Would doing something like this be a productive use of my time?  Or is it better just to plug and play as I go along on squares?  I have the hardest time figuring what kind of stitch with which thread for a seam embellishment and mine always seem to lack a finished look.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:16 AM

I've never heard of TAST, so I googled it. Actually, I've been sort of doing that over the last few months. I have been putting them on two layers of muslin to see if 1) I can do it properly; and 2) if I even like it when it's completed. If it turns out well then I add it to my real block. For me, it has not been a waste of time.

I think we are most critical of our own work. It always seems to be lacking something and we never know exactly what that something is. If you lay your work down for a few hours, or even a full day, then come back and look at it, you'll see that it really is nice looking and doesn't lack anything. Other times you'll just rip it out and start over again, cuz it really is that bad.  That's what happens to me anyway.  lol

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,264
Points 135,013
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 8:46 AM

Good morning girlfriends,

Lillie,

First I want to say your whisper block is stunning. I'm going to post a comment in media too.

Robin,

Hope you have a great time with the fundraising and bring in lots of dollars for the kids. The full moon has been grand, and perfect timing for me. I've had a mad rush of energies and been getting up at 1:30 the last couple mornings. Since Mike's been gone I have gotten sooo much done because I can have every light on in the house need being. 

Robin:
I am steadily working on the second Country Cottage.   I hope to have it finished by the end of the week.  I lack and windows and all of the embellishments.   I'm finding applique particularly challenging.  I don't do something right with my hands.  I seem to be constantly twisting and shifting by fabric

I haven't been able to master the needle turn part of applique. I use a double freezer paper template and iron my edges down prior to stitching. I pull the freezer paper out and use that Roxannes basting glue to hold it in place. I don't have the best small motor skills, so this works best for me.  

Robin:

Stephanie,  How's the counter top coming along?

Thank you for asking. I put the trim on yesterday and the last coat of polyurethane. It's the third coat, and looking good now. I'm estatic. Our worker Clayton came yesterday with his moving truck and hauled off the old box widescreen tv that has been an unwanted ornament in our living room for too many years and the 90 gallon aquarium. I can't believe the difference in space. I have been working like a dervish cleaning, putting stuff back, and  for now, I'm just going to place the remainder of the cabinets on the empty wall and take a month off after this. Well, at least until I catch a second wind. It's going to be so much easier to clean in here with closed storage. We've had too many open glass shelves that constantly look dusty. All gone now. Now I can take my swiffer duster and do a couple counter tops and the rest is behind doors. 

I've been on a mission since Mike's gone to have him come back and have everything be spiffy. I also have my niece coming early in May, and  want things to be in their place. It's all coming together. I've also managed to go through some closets and purge some stuff. Who needs 20 tablecloths in their closet? LOL. 

I'm anxious to get back to doing some sewing projects .     

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,264
Points 135,013
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 8:52 AM

Robin:
Has anybody ever done Sharon B's TAST?    I been thinking about doing something like that.   I think it might help me look at stitches different.   I'm also thinking about doing a journal to go along with it.  You know draw the stitch it various designs and then try them on fabrics.   Maybe adding the samples on the page at the end.  What do you all think?  

I think it's a fabulous idea and have wanted to do it myself. I also think that it would be a very productive use of time, and once these stitches are practiced I think it leaves a whole lot of room to use them creatively. I love to look at the pic's of how the ladies have used them. Keeping a jounal of them sounds like a great idea too. I have purchased her sitich sheets and keep them in a notebook. It'd be a neat place to add a square that I have practiced on. I like the idea of drawing and drafting the stitches out too. The mechanics of it will lock in like practing cq. If you can draw it, you can stitch it. Great idea! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,264
Points 135,013
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 9:00 AM

Lillie:
I have been putting them on two layers of muslin to see if 1) I can do it properly; and 2) if I even like it when it's completed. If it turns out well then I add it to my real block. For me, it has not been a waste of time.

Another great idea. I have a tendency to just dive in and do it, and really should just practice more.

Lillie:
Other times you'll just rip it out and start over again, cuz it really is that bad.  That's what happens to me anyway.  lol

LOL. You're so right about us being the most critical. I even used to point out my flaws before anyone else could.  At least I've gotten over that. LOL. The flaws are what make things real and less intimidating. I have a feeling you haven't had to do much ripping out. You seem to have such a natural talent for this.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,175
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:59 PM

Robin, I hope you had tons of fun at your car wash and raised enough so money isn't one of your concerns for FCCLA.  

The TAST can be fun.  I did it for awhile a long time back, but dropped out because I'd always have a hard time finding time to keep up with it.  It's a great way to explore the versatility of the different stitches and develop a stitch "vocabulary"...real hands on.  I used a piece of linen to so mine, and a scroll frame.  Now I just keep a practice hoop nearby if I want to try something.  

Needle turn applique is all about not trying to over-control the fabric and knowing what the fabric will do.  It takes a lot of practice and you get to really understand the grain of fabric.  You might try ironing a piece of freezer paper on the back of your foundation fabric under your pattern.  You don't sew through it, though, just the fabric.  It helps to have the stabilization so you can focus on the applique pieces.  Also, you don't have to worry about distortion in the foundation fabric and it gives you something to hold on to.  You can roll it up and fold it as you need to.  It'll get all crinkly and softer as you do that, but the grain of the fabric is somewhat protected.  If it starts to come off, just iron it back on.  It also helps you not stab yourself with the needle so much :)  Another thing with freezer paper is that you can cut your pattern pieces out of it and leave them on top of the piece as you stitch it.  It helps you to keep on track with how the piece is fitting the pattern you are sewing to.   When I applique, I do A LOT of finger pressing before I take the first stitch.  Fabric has a memory, so  finger pressing helps to discipline it before you start sewing.  It's an art and very rewarding once you get the hang of it.  Darn it, you've made me feel like doing some applique.  I'll have to drag out Country Cousins and work on the border.  I really do love applique.

Happy Saturday!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,175
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 1:03 PM

Lillie, I'm afraid I wrote the reply to you about TAST in the last post I did to Robin.  I like your idea of 2 layers of muslin.  Doing TAST helps you get in the habit of practicing stitches, although it sounds like you already have this habit.  It's fun to follow all the different people's interpretations of the stitches, too.  Stitchin Fingers is one of my favorite sites.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,175
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 1:09 PM

I've spent all morning at a Soccer game with Audra and Nate.  Too much fun watching a bunch of 5 year olds kick a ball around.  They were so darn cute!  Nate scored a goal, too, which was fabulous.  They're so cute and not really able to pay attention for long periods of time, so a real challenge for their coaches.  After we went to Hungy Howie's with his team to share lunch.  A wonderful time...the high point of my week so far.

Any minute now my sister will be here and we're going to look at a mobile home she really likes.  My leg is still pretty sore, so I have a limp, but so far haven't done all that much walking, so not bad at all.  

I hope you all have a terrific Saturday.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,264
Points 135,013
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 3:53 PM

Linny,

The soccer game sounds like a lot of family fun. You go Nate scoring a goal! They are so cute at that age.

Hope you enjoy your trip going out to look at the mobile home with Barb. Hope your leg holds up ok for you.

I just got back from doing a little shopping. I threw away Mike's favorite couch blanket yesterday, thinking I'd just be able to pick one up anywhere. Not! I had to make a two hour trip beck and forth. It was good to get out though. I haven't been to a Bed, Bath and Beyond in ages. They had some beautiful window treatments. Kind of cool to see that strands of beads have made a comeback. They're more spread out just to hang randomly down the front of curtains and they had them displayed beautifully. Made me drool. Not just for the beads, but the layered look of woven blinds under linen, and lots of textures. Yep, too long since I've been out like that. I did manage to get away with just the blanket and some coasters. If it would have been Pier 1 imports, it might have been different. LOL

After that the grocery. They had potted hydrangeas for sale. Oh my, who could pass up those beautiful pinky, purply, blue flowers? So beautiful. That's about it for my fun day....

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,175
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:57 AM

Good morning, ladies.  Hope you are off to a great day.

The soccer game with Nate was a blast.  Nate was so animated and it was so much fun watching 5 year olds chase that ball around the field.  At 5 the ability to focus on a purpose is a challenge, but they did really well.  Nate's team won and Nate scored a goal, which was the high point for me, lol.  He didn't seem to get all that excited about it - at least any more than anything else.  

After, Barb took me to see a mobile home she fell in love with.  She ended up making an offer and buying it.  It's near her daughter, so it's good that way.  It's a lovely place, with skylights in the kitchen and bathrooms, a lanai, 2 bedrooms and baths, a breakfast area and a whole lot more.  It came furnished with Cindy Crawford furniture and Barb loves it.  She got a great deal and she signs the papers tomorrow.  She is in heaven and can't think about anything else.  It'll give her a new lease on life.  After we went out to dinner and she just kept on saying, "I can't believe I bought a house."  It was great to see her delighted again.

Today I'm going to set up the thread for the next RR.  Since we didn't settle on a theme, I'm going to pick one out of the pile, so to speak.  I think a Victorian theme will go with what everyone has talked about for their projects. so I'm calling it Victorian Charm.  I also think it'd be fun if we use Robin's idea for the journals, with pics of things we "see" for our pieces in the front.  It goes with Robin's Garden idea, it was one of the ideas on Lillie's list and the bags Stephanie and I are making.

Here's an excerpt from Thesaurus.com for the word charm:

Part of Speech: noun
Definition: enchantment, allure
Synonyms:

agreeableness, allurement, appealattraction,attractiveness, beautybewitchery, charisma,

chemistry, conjuration, delightfulness, desirability,fascinationglamourgraceit, luremagic,magnetism, 

pizzazz*, something*, sorcery, spell,star quality, witchery

So, if you can't wrap your creativity around the word "Charm", pick your adjective, lol.

Some of them were a surprise to me, like "witchery" and "star quality".    It's a good word.
I'll be posting the new thread a little later this morning, so if anyone wants to comment, please feel free.  We had talked about a May 1 start date.  That would be the date we start assembling our blocks and then mail them out on June 1.  How does that work for everyone?

Linny T

Page 25 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev2324252627Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use