rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:34 AM

Stephanie:

I'm building my own from wood. This is a first for me, but so far the plywood cuts have worked out. I'm layering it up and edging it with trims. The final top will be a piece of stained grade birch. It has a really pretty grain in it. I'm staining it a special walnut, and will put several coats of polyurethane after that. I've found polyurethane to be a really tough finish. It'll stand up to the heat of coffee cups and doesn't "white" ring if someones leaves a cold drink on it.

I've hit a stall though. Mike left the cordlessdrill at a customers house and I need the battery to run my cordless brad nailer. Darn! I still have plenty I can do this weekend filling them up. So far I only have my cookbooks put away.And I can cut the pieces I need to be ready. So I guess it's not all that bad. 

Darn about the drill, but like you say you can still make progress in the prep work.  The birch with the walnut stain sounds heavenly.  It's going to be a stunning built in.  I admire your abilities, Stephanie.  Polyurethane is a great finish.  I've seen that, too.  Much better than other finishes.  It really holds up under a variety of conditions.  Tough stuff.   

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:21 AM

Robin:

Posting late because I've been busy trying to coordinate my day.  Not very successful.  I've got to get off the computer and put together a list of things I need and want to get done today.

Robin,

I can so relate.Since I don't have my tool to carry on it's almost like I have lost my way for doing anything.I was going to put a second coat of stain on everything, but it was threatening rain, so I lost interest in that.  I don't think I'm really motivated to do much, but I hope you find your coordination for what you need to do.

Robin:
Stephanie,  Your counter tops sound beautiful.   I bet they'll be gorgeous when you finish.

Thank you. I hope so. Sorry you had to miss the town celebration. I can certainly understand it with all the activity you and Donn have had. Sounds like it could have been fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:29 AM

Linny t:

Stephanie, that's tough for your brother.  It's got to be hard on his marriage, too.  Some kids just need to get the boot to get them to "launch", like Diane put it.  With the MIL living there, too, that must really limit what he can do about it.  I feel for him.  Hopefully you cheered him up at dinner.

I think we cheered him up. He's usually ok with everything when the money is flowing. But now he's had some real issues with his back and I think it's hard for him mentally to have them just hanging out playing video games all day, and not making any effort under the circumstances to help him or themselves.. "Failure to launch is a perfect term." Diane." 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:39 AM

Linny t:

Darn about the drill, but like you say you can still make progress in the prep work.  The birch with the walnut stain sounds heavenly.  It's going to be a stunning built in.  I admire your abilities, Stephanie.  Polyurethane is a great finish.  I've seen that, too.  Much better than other finishes.  It really holds up under a variety of conditions.  Tough stuff.   

I'm not sure where in my  life I desired to do any kind of woodworking. I have no one related to me that has ever done carpentry. Kind of funny to look back though and think that I took wood shop in school when no other girls did. Must have been a spirit move for me I guess.

Even the water base polyurethane is tough. I did a table top and ran my fingernails across it as hard as I could and not a mark of any kind.

What are you up to today besides resting? So sorry you'll have to be down all day again...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:45 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your day has started off with a renewed since of purpose.

Yesterday was a simple day.   I planted some, I stitch some and I school worked some. Even finished the hand work on Country Cottage Block 1.   All  in all I can't complain.   However, about 5:00 I received a phone call from a student who was very upset.   The young lady informed me last week she was pregnant.  We did a lot of talking and at the time her mom was being supported and kind, as upset as any mom about the fact that her daughter's life had taken a turn.   Over the weekend the mom went out of town with her sister and came back and turned on the girl, calling her names,  blaming her for her lot in life etc.   The kid was beside herself and called me.   We had a long talk about what she could do and couldn't, should and shouldn't.     For me it was like the flood gates opening up and reminding me of my years teaching teen parents.   I don't understand how parents do this to their children.  I get being upset,  I mean all parents have plans for their children.  Being pregnant at 16 is usually not it,  but to call the girl filthy names and run her down to everyone in town I just don't get.    Anyway,  that's the way my day went.  

I hope that "your" Monday will be a truly great day.  Remember it is your day!

Also it is "In God We Trust Day",   I have to agree with someone on FB who said this is everyday for them.   I'm not sure how people who don't get through the day.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:51 AM

Stephanie:
I'm not sure where in my  life I desired to do any kind of woodworking. I have no one related to me that has ever done carpentry. Kind of funny to look back though and think that I took wood shop in school when no other girls did. Must have been a spirit move for me I guess.
 Maybe one of your long gone ancestors was a carpenter and you inherited that "gene".  

Stephanie:
So sorry you'll have to be down all day again...
All I did was rested yesterday.  I even took a nap.  I'm at work and it hurts again.  If I could just stay off of it more it'd help.  I have to say that it is better, though.  The resting it did me good.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 11:58 AM

Robin:
Also it is "In God We Trust Day",   I have to agree with someone on FB who said this is everyday for them.   I'm not sure how people who don't get through the day.
Amen to that!

Robin:
The young lady informed me last week she was pregnant.  We did a lot of talking and at the time her mom was being supported and kind, as upset as any mom about the fact that her daughter's life had taken a turn.   Over the weekend the mom went out of town with her sister and came back and turned on the girl, calling her names,  blaming her for her lot in life etc.   The kid was beside herself and called me.   We had a long talk about what she could do and couldn't, should and shouldn't.
 How selfish of the mom to think this girl didn't already have fear and shame feelings about the whole thing.  Does the mom think it's more about herself?  How sad for her.  She needs to remember that this girl is still a child in her heart and be supportive, not destructive.  Thank goodness she has you to confide in, Robin.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 5:41 AM

Happy Take a Chance Day!

Good Morning one and all.

I hope that you are all well this morning and that you are looking for to Tuesday, the second day of the week.    We have an obscure holiday on Friday so only two more days in this week for me provide I survive this one.      More testing this week.  The kids who have taken US History this year and sitting for the End of Course Exam starting today, mostly Juniors not a big group for me so I will be proceeding as normal.  

Linny,  The answer to the question is yes the Mom seems to think more of herself, which might explain why the girl went looking for verified love somewhere else.  She did not show up to school yesterday or return my call, so I don't know what happened after we talked.  I did clue in one of the admin who she trusts and will see what happens when she turns back up.   I really hate it for her because she is such a bright, sweet kid, who had tons of potential.  Sometimes I wish I ran a dormitory, so I could pick up all the kids who just needed a place to stay and loving.      I am so thankful that the Methodist Children's Home has decided to expand into this area.  We have plenty of kids who need somewhere to go.   North Florida is very economically challenged and on top of that a large portion of the population has been in the lower soci-economic class for so long I don't think they know how to achieve anything any different.   They want more but don't get what it is that you have to do to get it.

After watching this for almost 25 years you would think I would be immune to the effects of it, but no it gets me every time.

Diane,   How's the quilting going ?

My allergies have flared up and I have not idea why.  Hopefully the allergy meds I took this morning will kick in shortly and my eyes will feel less irradiate.

You guys have a great day!

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 7:54 AM

Robin:

After watching this for almost 25 years you would think I would be immune to the effects of it, but no it gets me every time.

God bless you Robin that you are not immune to the suffering and needs of others.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 8:15 AM

Robin,

I hope the young girl and her family are going to be all right and work things out. It's a tough situation. Perspectively,  On the one side the young girl is shamed, pregnant and confused, and on the other the mom grasped the reality of who is going to be supporting all of this while the youngster finishes school, possibly college.  It's a situation that affects the whole family, and not just the girl, as she still lives at home. I'm not sticking up for the Mom, she handled things badly losing her temper that way. Hopefully, once the initial shock factor wears off  her Mom will embrace the thoughts of having a grandbaby and pull the family unit back together.  I don't know them like you do, but will say some prayers for everything to be all right...  

It must be very difficult for you to see the kids go through all kinds of situations and try not to fold them into your wings. I think it's wonderful that you are there for them when they reach out. God Bless you for that.

Hope your allergies die down. There's a lot of stuff blooming right now.   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 11:06 AM

Robin--It's so wonderful that you are blessed to work with these young women while their lives are forming and help them when they need someone.

Hi everyone---I can't take credit for the 'failure to launch' expression.  It was a movie with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McConehey.  It wasn't much of a hit!

I am slowly working on the quilt every day.  Sometimes I feel like a surgeon sewing, cutting, etc. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905
Linny t replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 12:03 PM

Robin:
 Robin, I'm sure God put you in that community because he knew you wouldn't get jaded by it.  I hope that girl is alright and that her mom's heart melts a little.  

Hope you allergies cleared up.  It is spring for sure.  Lots of pollen in the air these days.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 4:09 PM

Diane:

Hi everyone---I can't take credit for the 'failure to launch' expression.  It was a movie with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McConehey.  It wasn't much of a hit!

I saw that movie. The most memorable part of it for me was Terry Bradshaw turning Matthew's bedroom into his "necked" room. What a hoot!

Diane:

I am slowly working on the quilt every day.  Sometimes I feel like a surgeon sewing, cutting, etc. LOL

Good for you. Must be a good feeling to be near the end.  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 4:47 PM

Stephanie:

Diane:

I saw that movie. The most memorable part of it for me was Terry Bradshaw turning Matthew's bedroom into his "necked" room. What a hoot!

Diane:

Good for you. Must be a good feeling to be near the end.  

You're right. It wasn't much of a hit and the best part was Terry Bradshaw!

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,560
Robin replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 8:14 PM

I saw that movie too.   I guess I'm a hopeless romantic because I liked it.

Robin

Page 23 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev2122232425Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use