rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 296
Points 26,470

Robin:
my youngest decided she would go to prom

Robin, what wonderful news that she has decided not to "skip" this once in a lifetime experience.  I appreciate how happy this makes you because Kyle went thru the same debate about whether to go to his senior prom.  He was not interested in going but was pushed by his friends and he enjoyed the evening. 

Of course, we had it much easier because being a boy, we went to the tux shop and rented.  They fitted him and hemmed the pants.  Everything was included.  I do not relish the thought of finding a dress but I am sure that the two of you are up for the challenge.  When is the prom?

Glad you got your yard work started.  Once you start the process for the season, it seems to never end but it is a good feeling.  With Kyle gone, I am facing the prospect of being in charge of the yard this year.  I dread it but also look forward to the exercise and the reward of a completed yard.  Our yard is the size of a postage stamp.  Mowing, trimming and clean up usually takes about 30 minutes after the first time.  Right now there are many twigs and branches to clean up and the thought of starting is daunting. 

Weather forecast for this week is 50"s all week with rain a couple days.  Should probably add some beginning grooming work to the schedule this week.  My body will ache but I will feel good in my soul.  Guess that makes it a win.

Just went on ThreadArt website and ordered a bunch of 100% cotton thread.  All cotton thread is on sale and they have cones of cotton.  I am doing more with my serger and having the cotton on cones for the serger makes my life so much happier.  I am making microwave bowl potholders and microwave potato bags.  Both patterns came off the internet and call for all contents to be 100% cotton.  Using the serger for these projects makes them faster and helps me to feel the purchase of the serger was a good investment.  I have my serger set up in my sewing studio now and try to use it everyday.

For some things I can use the polyester thread I bought in the past but now that I have a good resource for cotton, I think that will be what I buy the majority of the time.  I have been using the odd spools of thread that I have had forever up in CQ foundation piecing.  That is the part of foundation piecing I love the most.  It doesn't matter what thread I use to piece.  As long as it is not brittle, anything works and I don't feel like the purchases I made in the past when I was being frugal rather than thinking of the fiber content are not in vain.  I also do some decorative stitching for some CQ on the machine.  Not my favorite way to embellish but when it is something I just want to add a little color to fast, this works.  Mostly do this with table runners and table toppers.  Good, fast way to quilt these smaller projects and uses some of the colors I have accumulated in polyester.

Well, it is feeding time.  Guess I better go make Tim his breakfast.

Hope you all have a peaceful Sunday filled with some creative time.  Enjoy this April day.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,156
Points 111,110
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:01 AM

Darlene, what an amazing sale!  Are you going to try zipper flowers with some of those zippers.  Young people like them.  With the chenille you can also couch it.  That's a lot easier on your hands and on the thread than trying to pull it through fabrics.  You're going to be a busy beaver getting ready for the market.  

Too bad about your nephew getting married on the show days, but weddings are special and he sounds like a special nephew.  Too bad you can't get someone to sit at one of the shows for you.  Still, I'm sure you'd rather do it yourself.  A show is a lot of work.  The quilt sounds pretty.

I was wondering how big your purse pattern is.  Also, since it is for daily use, do you have in mind that the materials we use to embellish are not so dainty?   I want to start collecting materials and since you're the first to announce your color pallet, I can be on the lookout.  I love the hunting and gathering aspect of CQ.

I didn't realize your mom still drove.  Good for her.  My mom, if you can believe it, never learned how to drive.  My dad tried to teach her, but she wasn't comfortable with his teaching methods...he had no patience, lol.  I guess in her mind she didn't need to as long as she had legs and him.  After he passed I had some of my best times taking her with me everywhere I went.  We really became friends.  Me, her and my 2 girls.  We went everywhere and she was more than happy to go.  She went more places with us than she ever did with dad.  He would take her to the grocery store and wait in the car.  After about 10 mins. he'd always come into the store and come up behind her and say, "what do you need that for?"  It used to drive her nuts, lol.  I really miss her.  Last Thursday was the 9th anniversary of her passing.  I can't believe it's been 9 years!   

It's nice that Kyle stops by once a week for a visit.  I'm sure he enjoys a good, home cooked meal and a visit with Mom and Dad.  My teenage daughter lives up there and has been looking for a job steadily for some time now with no results.  This past week she got 3 interviews that sound promising, so maybe things are going to break through for Kyle soon, too.

. Have fun with your busy week and all your treasures.  Have a wonderful Sunday yourself! 

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,156
Points 111,110
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:13 AM

Robin:
Linny,  Sounds like you went to bead heaven for the day.   I am so glad that you and Barb got such a great opportunity.  Isn't amazing the difference a year can make?
 It really is amazing, Robin!  I am so grateful she's still here and able to go around.  She had fun as well and bought quite a few things to play with.  She can't do beads very well because her arm that was broken still doesn't cooperate with her for fine motor skills.  She really enjoys working with inks, paints, stamps and UTE, though.  She makes small pieces to practice her technique.  I am taking them and framing them in beads to make them into pendants, so we're working together this way.  I'll post some pics later if I can find the time.

Your yard work sounds like a good workout.  I bet it looks great, too.  It's nice to come home to a yard you've whipped into shape, isn't it?  Makes you proud.

How exciting that you get to find a prom dress with your youngest.  She is tall and thin and I bet she'll look like a runway model in an evening gown.  She's so beautiful.

I hope you have a rest filled Sunday, too, Robin.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,156
Points 111,110
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:26 AM

Lillie:
What fun Linny. I'd love to go to a bead show. And I know I'd want to buy one of everything too.  lol
 They don't advertise them much except on the internet.  Now that I'm doing more jewelry I'm hooked up to the announcements and I want to go to them all, lol.  There's another one next weekend that's more about lapidary.  I want to go to that one, too, but have spent myself bead poor, so I may pass it up.  There's a craft festival at one of our beach communities next weekend and we're talking about going to that, instead.  There are lots of amazing artists in that community and this is their 35th annual show, so it'll be upscale.  The weather here is warm and a day near the gulf sounds delightful to me.  Arts and Crafts at the beach...What could be better?  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 11:12 AM

My goodness gracious, I have missed the motherload of fun and happenings this week. Wow! Enjoyed every minute of the posts.

Robin, Love the idea of an herb garden and doing brick borders sounds like a great and longer lasting idea than the wood. Less draw for termites too. I don't know if this will be of help, but when I did that brick patio a couple years back I found that those heavy suede and fabric gloves sure helped keep my hands from cramping up and being rubbed raw. Your talking about it makes me want to go out and do some yard work too. Especially while the weather's decent. Good luck finding a dress for Keeley today.

Darlene,

You have been a busy girl as always. How fun to read about your finds at the sale. A ton of goodies for $23.00!!!! Your plans for the lavender and greens in a purse sound divine. My fav colors too. So good to have you check in and catch us up.

Linny,

Thanks for checking in on Diane and letting us know she's ok. Hopefully she'll get her issues straightened out and be back soon. The bead show sounds to die for. And what fun to see them all displayed and hand pick them like that. Fun, Fun, Fun.... The Arts and Crafts at the beach next weekend sounds fun too.... and something to look forward to besides the duldrums of work .

All,

Sorry I've missed so much time. Mike and I are sharing my laptop right now. More like he's using it and I'm getting on when I can.... I have an old desktop but I can hardly see what I type and it takes forever.

I've been project busy. Not the normal fun ones, but changing out the bathtub faucett, giving Otis a bath and grooming him, cleaning screens, taking apart Mike's computer to change internal battery, and putting it back together. Things that are all a time drain but needed to be done. He decided not to work today and jumped in to get the house picked up and vacuumed, and now the rest of the afternoon is play time.  

It was just wonderful and uplifting to read your posts today and hear that everyone is busy and such a feeling of accomplishment, fun and inspiration from reading them.

Hope the day continues to be fun and inspiring for all of you....     

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,016
Points 64,990
Robin replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your Monday Morning has started off with calmness instead of it's typical madness.

Wahooo!!! we found a dress at the first mall, second store, second dress although we tried on everything in the two stores that she thought she liked.   Probably spent more than I should but this is the only prom dress I will ever by her so I figure I actually got a deal.

.     And it was Mama's favorite!   Sister bought her some earrings and a bracelet to match.   We found shoes at Dillard's and I had a gift card!  So minus the look without make up and hair it is.    I do have to hem the dress slightly and it has a thigh high split you can see.  

Overall a productive day.  

Today I have a speaker from Keiser college for most of today and all of tomorrow.  Then it's three labs and got to make some plans with culinary for a major production of soup.  Friday the tile guy comes so I figure the plumber will be there Thursday when I'm trying to have a lab.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 296
Points 26,470

Robin, so glad you had success.  What a productive day you had

Our Monday morning is starting with a relative amount of calmness.  We are preparing for some electronics recycling.  Tim saw something on the news about this recently where they were collecting old TVs, printers, phones, answering machines, etc. to recycle for kids to go to camp.  We have some of each of these items floating around in our house taking up space and just being clutter.  I am trying to free myself from as much clutter as possible but haven't known how to rid our home of these things safely.  Friday is a drive not far from our home.  So my plan for this week is to gather all this up and have Kyle help me load it into the car Thursday so I can go Friday morning. 

Gracie is racing around downstairs.  Guess I should go see what is up.

Have a great day at school.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 296
Points 26,470

Linny t:
Are you going to try zipper flowers with some of those zippers

I was planning to do some trim with some of the odd length zippers and I have seen the zipper flowers.  I think they would be fun.

Also, some of the zippers are sport zippers for jackets, etc which pull apart at the bottom so they would be easy to switch parts on and have multi color zippers on some bags.

Linny t:

I was wondering how big your purse pattern is.  Also, since it is for daily use, do you have in mind that the materials we use to embellish are not so dainty?   I want to start collecting materials and since you're the first to announce your color pallet, I can be on the lookout.  I love the hunting and gathering aspect of CQ.

I keep switching my thoughts on which pattern I want to use.  Today my thoughts are toward creating my own pattern based on the new purse I bought for Easter.  It is a great design but is white and not practical for everyday use.  I like the design but think I would like it slightly bigger and would add a pocket to the outside for my keys and cell phone.

So with all that said, I am thinking the blocks I will make will be 15" squares with the pattern on the back for stitching area.

As far as not so dainty, I don't see why there couldn't be some dainty.  My purse doesn't get a lot of abuse and it would probably be okay to use anything. 

If I go with the self drawn pattern, there will be sides and a bottom which I would not send as part of the RR.  I would not want the bottom embellished and if I put a pocket on the end, no sense in embellishing the side.  Does that make sense?

I am starting to get excited about this RR.  I know I shouldn't wish my life away but is it June yet?

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,156
Points 111,110
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:48 AM

Robin!  Keeley is stunningly beautiful.  What a nice gown.  She's going to be the belle of the ball!  You did good, mom!

Good luck with the speaker and with your tile.  Hope the plumber's timing doesn't interfere with your lab.

Have a happy Monday!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963

Robin,

Keely's dress looks absolutely beautiful on her. You two did great! And it's Mama's favorite. I love that. 

Hope you have a great day today and enjoy the speaker and labs. Thanks for sharing the pic...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963

Darlene:
Tim saw something on the news about this recently where they were collecting old TVs, printers, phones, answering machines, etc. to recycle for kids to go to camp.  We have some of each of these items floating around in our house taking up space and just being clutter. 

I have been dying to do this for years. We still have an old seventies non working wide screen in our living room, among other things. We actually have a number we can call for pick up as part of our recycling program. It's just a matter of getting it done! Good luck with all that. Maybe doing it for kids will be an extra incentive.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963

Darlene,

I love reading about your thoughts for your purse and zippers. I rather like the combination of dainty and not so dainty myself. It adds lots of different textures. I'm getting excited too. I don't have a pattern yet. I need to find the perfect handle to devise one...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,016
Points 64,990
Robin replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 6:18 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for all of the kind comments about my daughter.   Shopping with her was a lot of fun and it is so good to see her enjoying her friends again.

Darlene,

I love your idea of making a everyday bag.  I had kinda of thought about the some type of bag I could carry to school and such since that's were I go the most.   I love the look of the vintage evening bags but would seldom have an occasion to carry it.   I'm also thinking outside colors, blues, greens, a little yellow, a little pink.    I imagine that it's because of all the time I've spent outside lately.   

Linny,

Your idea about the zippers is so clever.  I've seen lots of stuff on pinterest lately using that stuff.

Yesterday when I got home from work I planted a herb container garden made out of multiple clay pots stacked in and around each other.  Donn thought it looked pretty good.  Now if I can get them to grown.   I figure in the winter I can use the same pots and replace the summer herbs with lettuces, but we'll have to see how this deal goes. 

Because of the split schedule my speaker will be back today which will give me some time to organize my paperwork for my lab tomorrow.   I was hoping to run some errands after school today but I can quickly see that those are going to have to be pushed back until tomorrow, but I've got to get with the bank about the car wash and with the insurance agency in town about a donation. 

Got to run it's time to be at school and I'm still at my house.  Thank heavens I live in a small town so I'm only about a 15 minute drive to school.  In a larger place it would be like 30 to 40, because of traffic.

Have a great Tuesday.     Only 8 weeks to go in this school year!

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963

Good morning Robin,

The herb container garden sounds really cool. Hope it grows well for you!

Hope you made it to school without being too late. And hope you enjoy your day! Only 8 weeks of school left! I'll bet you are looking forward to that!

Have a great Tuesday yourself.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,531
Points 138,963

And a good morning to all of you.

I'm working from home today. Supposed to be off, but have more furniture to refinish with a time frame attached. So taking one for the team again. So far I've done payroll, and have sent off taxes, gotten Mike out the door and I'm getting ready to fix some cheesy eggs and toast.

Feels good to be so motivated, although I wish it could be toward finishing my UFO's and not working. But by the weekend II'll be back on track and hopefully can keep up with the house and laundry during the week so I'll be free to do whatever....

Otis is on my chair arm helping me type, as usual. He feels so fluffy from his bath. I should do that more often.

I need to take a pic and post of my fibers I bought on ebay. I'm really excited to use them. Lots of colors and textures to couch down on CQ. They'll be fun to play with.

I also recieved a straight stitch plate in the mail that I had ordered from the Expo. I'm anxious to try that out too.

Off to carry on with the day. ...Have a good one....

• Post Points: 35
Page 13 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev1112131415Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use