rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,209
Points 111,870
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:44 AM

Robin:
Tomorrow I may not get much done because my daughter ,  Laurie has to have some scans done on her thyroid.  She went to the doctor a week ago with a throat issue an while they were examining her they found some lumps and had them sonogramed.   We're kinda keeping things quiet right now until we get the results back from tomorrow's test.   Of course they have mention the possibly of thyroid cancer but said not to worry about it .  It apparently is one of the easy to cure.    Right now we're going with the usual diagnosis for laur's strange illnesses "it nothing".   I'm just praying that she continues to have the peace that she has been having.   I think she is worst than I am about worrying over things.     I'm just thankful that none of you are family so I can share with you.  

Robin, I've had nodes on my thyroid.  Years ago when I was in my 30's the medical knowledge was not so good as it is now.  They put me under to do a "biopsy" and took the thyroid node with the cyst out to do it, so major surgery and calling it a "slit throat" is how I made light of it.  Needless to say they scared the daylights out of me.  Now the scar is just a silver sliver that hides under my wrinkles.  They took half of mine out and it turned out to be just a common cyst.  The last time it happened they determined if it was a liquid filled cyst or a solid before they did anything and then since it was a cyst they aspirated it in outpatient surgery.  They told me 99% of the time these are just cysts and are very common in women.  Even when it is cancer it usually stays in the thyroid which can be removed.  There is a lot of info on the internet about it.  After my 1st surgery I lost a lot of weight - below 100 lbs.  People were afraid for me.  The Dr. said it was because a lot of thyroid hormone was released when they handled it.  It lasted about 6 months.  No such thing happened after the aspiration on the 2nd one.  I was hoping it would, lol.

My sister's thyroid stopped working years ago.  She thought she was loosing her mind.  She couldn't stop sleeping, couldn't read or see straight and gained weight like nobody's business.  It really scared her.  With a little thyroid hormone she was back to normal quickly.  It's amazing what your thyroid can do.  

I am praying your muse comes back in time for summer.  Your T-shirt quilt went quickly.  What are your plans for quilting it?  I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of it.

Robin:

Stephanie,

i have a feeling you will always have a little party animal in you.

I say this is true, too, Stephanie.  I could tell right away the first time I saw animal prints in your CQ :)

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 4:05 PM

Robin:

Stephanie,

i have a feeling you will always have a little party animal in you.

I say this is true, too, Stephanie.  I could tell right away the first time I saw animal prints in your CQ :)

ROFLOL. I have to admit, I do love to see people having a good time whether it be a party, a cookout, or just a gathering. The energy of

happy people if contagious.

I had no idea that you had gone through this. Thank God medicine has come such a long way since then, Huh? It's good to know the statistics on how many times it's nothing serious. Pretty reassuring, really.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,209
Points 111,870
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 6:05 PM

Medicine has come a long way in all the different fields.  Hopefully cancer will be nothing more that a bother to our great grand children.  I was thinking about those 2 times today and I find it interesting that both times the lumps would come while I was in one of those "non-stop" periods of my life.  Both times I had way too much going on and wasn't sleeping or eating right.  One Dr. told me that most people have tiny little cysts in their thyroids and they never grow at all.  I can't help but think that burning the candle at both ends played a major roll.  The first time I saw a lump on my throat I freaked right out.  The Dr. sent me to a  surgeon who wanted to do surgery right away saying he didn't want to wait until Monday.  I had that surgery on Friday the 13th.  I was so scared I was angry and came home and threw things, lol.  My regular Dr. was an old guy and he told me not to get worried.  He'd seen this before and it almost never was cancer.  The second time my Dr. didn't even send me to a surgeon.  She sent me for tests just to rule out a solid mass.  The tests took 4 weeks, first one and wait 2 weeks, then another and wait 2 weeks.  Then I waited another 2 weeks for the aspiration.  No one got in a hurry or excited at all.  That time I was able to scour the internet and got the information for myself.  What a big difference, right?

I agree about the energy of happy people.  I used to be pretty good at being a party person, but these days not so much.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,035
Points 65,520
Robin replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:07 PM

Well, home again home again!

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words.   Like many of you we have done some reading on the internet and even the tech who found the original nodes told Laurie that thyroid cancer is one of the easy to cure.  So we've been in a fairly light hearted mood about the whole thing.   I'm just wanting her to stay in that mood because like you said Linny the energy of happy people can be powerful.   She had her blooded drawn this morning at the local hospital to gauge her iodine levels we drove to Tallahassee, met with the nuclear tech and got the radioactive pill.  Then had some lunch at the mall and mess around until time for her scan.  She brought me home and went back to Tallahassee to stay with some friends so she can go back in and be scan again in the morning, and see her boyfriend.  She hadn't told him much about the situation because he had a major paper due today and a big test.   So that's tonight's task.  He is a super sweet guy with a great way of keeping her balanced so he'll be good for her this weekend.   The endocrinologist's office called while we were waiting and scheduled an appointment with her for May 2nd.   As busy as she is right now that's good cause she'll be just about through with this semester when she sees him and not started the next.  So all in all a productive day.  

I'm fixing to do get in my chair see if I can make some progress on my country cottage block.  I am so far behind and it's only the first block.  :(

Have a good night everyone.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:34 AM

Robin:

I'm fixing to do get in my chair see if I can make some progress on my country cottage block.  I am so far behind and it's only the first block.  :(

Robin

Robin, I haven't even picked out fabric for the Country Cottages yet. I've decided to do just four of them Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. I'll get some of those fancy little stand-up quilt frames and put them in the foyer with the change of seasons. I figure it will be winter 2013 before I get one of them completed.  lol

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,035
Points 65,520
Robin replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 6:57 AM

Lillie,

That sounds like a great idea.   I really want to make all 12 into a quilt for my mom.  She loves little houses, but I'm just having a tough time getting started.  and I can't find any white wool to felt for the snowman so I guess I'm going to have to order some.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,035
Points 65,520
Robin replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 7:30 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

The sun is warm and bright and although I haven't accomplished as much as I wanted in this week I do feel like it's been a productive Spring Break.   Just way until this summer bath tub I'll get you then for sure.

As soon as it warms up enough I can truly judge what to wear outside.  I'm going out to work on the junk in the yard.  A pile of building supplies that is just stacked in the middle of the back yard that makes it look like a junk yard back there.   But until this I'm going to sew some.  I didn't start this day as early as I had hoped but I'm not going to second guess my body's desire to sleep.  Particularly after so many nights of no sleep.

For those of you who have worked all week.   TGIF.   Enjoy your weekend.

Robin

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Robin, so sorry to read about Laurie's thyroid and you are both approaching this from the proper frame of mind.  You know who is in control and you know that there is no value to worry.

I have your family in my prayers and continue to ask God for mercy and peace during this time of waiting.

I am so glad that you have had this week off from school to deal with the medical appointments and just to rest.  It was your body's best to sleep today.  You did accomplish a lot this week.

The Country Cottage plan you have to make into a quilt for your mom sounds nice.  I just don't have the stamina to stick to a BOM plan so I admire anyone who does.  You will get there.

Good luck with the yard work today.  Hopefully you will get it all done.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 9:10 AM

Robin:

Lillie,

That sounds like a great idea.   I really want to make all 12 into a quilt for my mom.  She loves little houses, but I'm just having a tough time getting started.  and I can't find any white wool to felt for the snowman so I guess I'm going to have to order some.

Robin

Robin, I used some fuzzy white fabric I picked up at JoAnn's last time I did snowmen. It wasn't wool or felt and wasn't terribly fuzzy either. Just fuzzy enough to hide the button hole stitches within the fuzz. I did the stitches in white on all my snowmen because I didn't want the stitches to show. And I didn't want to do needle turn on them either.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 330
Points 26,945

Linny t:
Diane and Darlene, just wondering how you're both doing

Linny, thanks for wondering.  I have been crazy busy and still looking at another crazy week ahead. 

I have been finding I have little control of myself once I log in to this site and so I have been lurking and reading on my phone the posts I get but not responding. I had to go online today to take care of some things and so I allowed myself some time to catch up.

I am still interested in the next RR and think doing something other than a block might be fun.  Since it looks like we may have more than 5 people interested in the next one, I thought maybe we could do something which involve multiple pieces from each participant.  Let me see if I can explain:

If we were going to create a purse or hussif from this RR, we would make the pieces involved.  Then each participant would work on one (1) piece for each project.  This could mean that each participant may not work on all pieces involved but should be involved with something for each participant.

If I were thinking of a purse with front, back and flap, I would make three pieces.  I was thinking that the pattern could be drawn on the back of the foundation and left in a square form but the people embellishing would just embellish withing the pattern and I would trim to finished piecing size and shape when it was returned to me.

Let's say there are 7 people involved in this RR including me.  That means that six (6) others would work on my pieces.  That would give each person half of a piece to embellish. 

If someone chooses to make something with more pieces, we would have to determine how to divide up the work load.  I think this would be feasible and fun.  A little more of a challenge which sounds like what some of you have mentioned you would like.

Also, I would be encouraged to finish the project and make something that I would use.

Hopefully, this makes sense and sounds like something fun to the rest of the people interested.  I have been told that my ideas of fun are warped and that not everyone would want to do the same things.  I think there are people here who have the same warped sense of creativity.

Once each piece is completed it would be returned to it's owner.  Once the owner has all the pieces, they would cut the pattern out and complete the project.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 9,400

Hi Ladies.....I am just taking a small break to try and cool off (it doesn't take much for me to start sweating).  My son and his two girls are coming for lunch today; from Indianapolis. Bonnie is the one I made the Cat Quilt for.  I had already made Amber a quilt with cats appliqued on it.  George remembered that they liked his lasagna when they were here the last time, so he made a big pan yesterday and I will bake it today.  Dave and the girls will go on to Massillon, Oh tonight and visit with his brother and his family and head back to Indianapolis tomorrow. 

I am planning Easter dinner for George's daughter and her husband and George's cousin and his wife and maybe a couple of single men from church.

Well, I think I am cooled off enough to get back to work in the kitchen.  George is going to a funeral, so I can turn the furnace down as low as I want.

I hope you all have a blessed Easter.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,209
Points 111,870
Linny t replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:22 AM

Robin, glad to hear you had such a nice day with Laurie and that you're not worrying over things.  How sweet of her to not tell her boyfriend so he wouldn't be distracted from his test & paper.  

I've been watching the blocks over there in Applique.  They are so cute.  I'm sure once you start you'll be addicted.  Good luck!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,209
Points 111,870
Linny t replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:26 AM

Hi, Darlene.  Good to hear from you.  I like your idea for the purse as long as all the "halves" are approx. the same size.  I think a letter bag style would do the trick - you know where the flap is as long as the purse?

Darlene:
Hopefully, this makes sense and sounds like something fun to the rest of the people interested.  I have been told that my ideas of fun are warped and that not everyone would want to do the same things.  I think there are people here who have the same warped sense of creativity.
ROFLOL!  That's why we love CQ, right?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,209
Points 111,870
Linny t replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:29 AM

Hi, Jo.  Sounds like you'll be cooking up a storm.  Your Easter sounds like a nice gathering.  I bet your 2 grand daughters just love their kitty quilts.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:21 PM

Darlene,

I think you have a wonderful idea going for the next RR. I'm going to step back and let you run with it.

I was looking on  a few of my CQ blogs thinking that they were doing something really challenging. NOT. The guidelines we very generic and nothing that we have not already done. Very disappointing. Perhaps Diane has a better handle on a more challenging CQ for next time.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Page 7 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use