rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 7:39 AM

Lillie:
I've never had to remove old chaulk. Is it hard to remove?.

It depends on how "clean"  the line is. I usually take a razor knife and get behind it to loosen it. Then sometimes you can just get it started and pull the whole line off. It takes some time because in a lot of cases there's some mildew and water staining that has to be taken care of too before the new line goes in.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 7:42 AM

Lillie:

I think we settled on May or June. June would be better for me, if no one objects. Should we make this one a traditional again, or do something a bit more challenging?

No objection for June here. Do you have thoughts on something that might be more challenging? Love to hear your creative thoughts on this.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:04 AM

Robin, you are goint to be reaping the one of the benefits of being a school teacher this week and I'm so happy for you.  The schools in some of the counties around here have spring break next week, too.  They also have Monday as a Teacher in Service day.  Do you get that, too?  Hope your pile of work at school is smaller than you thought it would be.

How exciting for Keeley to choose a path..and what a great one!  You must be so proud of your daughters.  Like Stephanie said, how excited they must be to be taking their steps into the big world.  It seems you're entering the University years.  How cool that you and your DH as teachers have so many skills to help them navigate that world.  They are lucky young women to have you two as parents.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:21 AM

Lillie:

Robin:

When are we going to start the next round robin?   I forgot.

Robin

I think we settled on May or June. June would be better for me, if no one objects. Should we make this one a traditional again, or do something a bit more challenging?

June would be better for me, too.  I am all for a bit more of a challenge.  What do you have in mind, Lillie?  It would be good to start talking about a theme now so we can start "hunting and gathering".  Once we decide on a theme, I'll open a thread for the discussion.  I am getting excited just thinking about it!

You know, we don't have to limit our thinking to just square blocks.  We could make an object...a simple one like a small purse, or hussif, or even a journal cover.  If we started with a simple, flat pattern we could cut the base pattern out of muslin and send that around.  Wouldn't it be cool to have that come back and make it into something we use and enjoy regularly?    Everyone would have to agree on a pattern and size of course.  Just a thought.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 8:27 AM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
I've never had to remove old chaulk. Is it hard to remove?.

It depends on how "clean"  the line is. I usually take a razor knife and get behind it to loosen it. Then sometimes you can just get it started and pull the whole line off. It takes some time because in a lot of cases there's some mildew and water staining that has to be taken care of too before the new line goes in.  

Stephanie, if you ever get tired of the painting business and want to expand, you could open your own home improvements store.  Do you know that?  What a fount of great information you are.  What would we do without you?

I'll have you know that I took a break in between posts and went to the restroom.  My gaze fell on the grout around my bathtub and now I'm wondering where my razor knife is, lol.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 9:09 AM

Linny t:
My gaze fell on the grout around my bathtub and now I'm wondering where my razor knife is, lol.

ROFLOL. I wonder if we'll all be doing that now? LOL. I don't know if anyone knows this but they make grout caulk too. It's usually in the tile dept of the hardware store. It has a slight texture, but if you have an older bathroom that the grout has dulled, you might try that if you don't have the bright white line. I do have to say, this isn't my favorite part of home repair, but it does make such a difference.

What are you up to today?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:35 AM

Good morning, everyone.  Hope you all are off to a good starts for a great Sunday.

Today, aside from minor chores,  I am not doing anything else but what I want.  It's a rainy, blustery day here...a gray day.  There's a cold front coming through, believe it or not.  Later than usual in the season to have this happen, but I'll take it any day over heat.  Robin, it looks like your area may get some strong storm activity.  I hope it's nothing severe.  Not much of that here so far, but I'm keeping an eye on it.  It's a perfect day to stay in and sew.

Yesterday Barb and I went to an Art Festival in the next town.  It was a big one and they closed down the  whole downtown main street and one cross street.  It was breezy and mostly sunny, moderate in temperature, as it is just a few blocks from the bay, making for a pleasant day to be outdoors.  The event was combined with the weekly market they have, so there was lots of good food, produce and local crafts, too.  They even had local street performers with musicians, mimes, jugglers.  Quite a show!  We had a grand time and spent the whole day there.  We both came away from it with tons of ideas for our own art.  There was fine art and lots of jewelry with a focus on lapidary.  It was all very expensive, so I didn't get anything, choosing to look only, gather inspiration and save my budget for my own art endeavors.  There was one art quilt person and her work was really nice.  She worked in batiks mainly and pieced geometric combinations with fused raw edge applique.  I, of course, imagined what it would be like to embellish it, lol.  Barb and I had a great time talking to the artists about their art and lives.  Most of them didn't want anyone to photograph their work, so no pictures to show.  I do have many business cards and most of them had web sites, so I have some web exploring to do.  

I really enjoy the energy and spirit of a true artist.  To have many of them assembled like that was such a treat.  Their passions were contagious and invigorating.  Many of them had a work area set up and were creating right there.  Some of them had shops but some of them just traveled the show circut, living the gypsy artist's life, traveling and creating on the road with their motor homes and pets and all.  What a life that must be.  What an act of courage, lol.  The amount of physical strength it takes just to set up and tear down keeps them strong, I'm sure.  Many of those were retired couples, too.  Impressive determination.   

There was one lady who made glass beads with a torch and her work was really amazing.  These beads were only about the size of the glass things you get to put at the bottom of a flower arrangement, yet each one was a little work of art in itself with an amazing amount of detail and color.  She had them all set into jewelry with a very eclectic bent and lots of sterling silver embellishments.  It seems she is a silver smith, too.  What must it be like to have that kind of talent? 

Afterwards we went to a local bead store and then out to dinner at Red Lobster.  It was evening when I got home and I took a long nap, waking up after midnight, so there went my sleep pattern.  I feel really good, considering I went back to sleep after 4 AM.   

Anyways, that's my excitement for the weekend.  Anyone else do anything fun?

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 334
Points 9,150

Linny t:
Anyways, that's my excitement for the weekend

That sounds like a wonderful weekend, Linny.   It brings back memories of when I used to go to Florida to visit my sister and we would go to the flea markets and craft /artist shows. The last place she lived down there was Big Pine Key and we would drive down to Key West and visit there for a few days. I always like "Sunset"  by the water....they had all kinds of things going on.  The thing I liked most was this man with trained cats; they would jump through hoops and all kind of tricks.  Just to be able to train cats to sit on a box with all the people around is something!!  Maybe if you start young enough.  Sammy will roll over for a treat and I had a cat once that would shake hands.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 6:15 PM

Norma Jo, I went to Key West once many years ago when my kids were little.  That Sunset thing they have there is like a little circus.  It's a wild bunch down there, for sure.  I liked how the chickens just lived outside, free range style.  Everywhere I went there were chickens pecking around.

My cat will climb up in my arms when I bend over, but I think it's that he's just affectionate.  I don't know it he could ever learn a real trick.  He still forgets the trick about never jumping up on the counters that I taught him, much less to shake hands, lol.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 6:38 PM

Linny,

Your trip to the arts and crafts event sounds like an awesome day. I'd be up for a  different cq project . Whatever evreyone decides.

I've never been to Key West. I'd like to go to see the events. Not sure it'd be the same as back then, but I'm sure there's lots of color and things happening.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 6:48 PM

normajo1030:
It brings back memories of when I used to go to Florida to visit my sister and we would go to the flea markets and craft /artist shows.

Sounds like a wonderful memory for you Jo. Flea markets used to be so fun too. I'd always find some treasures to take home. Too cute about the cats. I've never seen them trained like that. That would be something to see for sure. We used to have a house with a path that went down to a tree surrounded pond. We'd  walk the dogs down there every night and the cat would join us and walk down too. I always thought that was the funniest thing for her to join us.

I think Otis has me trained. LOL. He sits by his water dish when it's low and waits for me to come fill it. He  just a mellow fellow.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:19 PM

Stephanie:

Linny,

Your trip to the arts and crafts event sounds like an awesome day. I'd be up for a  different cq project . Whatever evreyone decides.

I've never been to Key West. I'd like to go to see the events. Not sure it'd be the same as back then, but I'm sure there's lots of color and things happening.

Key West was very colorful...in more ways than you can imagine.  We went a long time ago, so it has to be different now.  Audra was like 4 or 5 years old.  I remember walking around the part of town with the bars and shops...the place where Hemingway used to hang out.  There were S & M stores with graphic displays in the windows.  We walked past one and I turned to see where she was at.  She was standing dead center of that window with her mouth wide open and disbelief and curiosity on her face.  I scooped her right up and got her mind on something else quick, lol.  I did not expect that aspect of Key West.  The locals were very kind, friendly and very, very laid back.  It is a lot more tropical than even in Naples.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:30 AM

Linny it sounds like you and Barb had a wonderful time at the show. Too bad you weren't able to take pictures to share with us. 

We had 8 inches of snow on Fri/Sat and that was wonderful. The streets are almost completely clear and dry now. But the snow is still piled high in the yards. It will be 60 again by Fri and no new storms on the horizon.

Sunday afternoon we attended a concert with some friends. Went out for Mexican food lunch, then onto the concert. It was great. Concert started at 3:00 and we were home by 5:30. The concert was in Golden, CO. Which is about 1 hour south from us. Interesting factoid-all of the musicians are volunteers. The only ones who are paid are the conductor, orchestra manager (who played violin), and the soloists (singers). They had a full orchestra and an adult and children's chorale (choir). So there were tons of people doing this on a volunteer basis.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,991
Points 64,375
Robin replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 11:28 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm hope everyone is off to a great week.   I'm slowly moving along with my projects.    I think caulking the bath tub has moved to a summer time job.  I just can't seem to get motivation for that one with the weather fluctuating as much as it is.   I have made some progress on the quilt and am fixing to jump back on it.  I'm working on other small jobs like house work and such in between.   I had really planned on a lot of yard work to, but with the temperature dropping I can't seem to get to far along on that.

Have a great day.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 7:24 PM

Lillie, it sounds like you had a wonderful time, too.  I like concerts and Mexican food, too.  Sounds like the streams will be running full tilt in your world come Friday.  Enjoy the snow while you can.

Linny T

Page 5 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use