My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t Posted: Fri, Mar 15 2013 11:53 AM

Darlene, I took your suggestions and thanks for thinking of it.  I hadn't even considered that.  Let's see if this helps with the posting frustration around here.

Here's part of what Wikipedia says about Mercerization:

"Mercerization is a treatment for cotton fabric and thread that gives fabric or yarns a lustrous appearance and strengthens them. The process is applied to cellulosic materials like cotton or hemp."  

I believe cellulosic means that it's a plant based, so that rules out synthetics.

Robin, you sounded more optimistic each day, so I'm happy you're getting to feeling better.  By the way, just last night Audra asked me if I wanted a cookie and I just said yes without even wondering where they came from or what kind they were.  I suppose I'm not what you'd call a cookie connoisseur, lol.  Hope yours were good.  

Diane, your roses are beautiful.  I would love to have a block with that sort of beautiful work on it.

Stephanie, I am so happy to hear you are going to Expo with Sandy.  You not only deserve a break.  I think you need one.  Can't wait to hear about all your exciting discoveries!

Jo, good luck today.  Hope everything goes well and as planned.  Check in when you can.

Lillie,  I read where Shibori Dragon closed their physical store and now they're just online and at shows.  Maybe they don't carry the ribbon anymore.  I couldn't find it on their website either.  Other possibilities for ordering are Silkribbon.com or Ribbonsmyth.  I had to wait a long time for my Ribbonsmyth order and as I recall others here did, too.  I liked Silkribbon.com and I think it took about a week to get.  There's also Hand Died Fiber.com.  Many others are out there, I'm sure.  Of course you could get adventurous and buy white ribbon and dye it yourself....just a thought, he he he.

Hope everyone is having a fulfilling Friday!  I will once 5 PM rolls around, lol.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 2:03 PM

WOW! May Day 2 popped right up for me. woo hoo.

Thanks for the info on the silk ribbon online. I'd be happy if I could remember their names and not bother everyone all the time.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 4:54 PM

I ordered some silk ribbon from Cam Creations early Fri afternoon. Two-hours later, I received notification that my package had shipped. Now that is what I call Customer Service!

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 5:29 PM

WOW! You have to take a look at this!

http://www.fiberartalmanac.com/2013/03/art-elements-and-principles-of-design.html

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 6:01 PM

Lillie:

I ordered some silk ribbon from Cam Creations early Fri afternoon. Two-hours later, I received notification that my package had shipped. Now that is what I call Customer Service!

Wow, I'll say.  Post pics when you get it.  I'd like to see it.

My internet has been down until just now.  Some issue with their equipment and the whole area was down.  Thankful it's back up.  You don't know how much you miss it until you can't have it.

We had fun with the garage sale.  My sister sold a bunch of what she calls "junk".  She's thrilled.  I sold one of my scissor fobs, so I was happy.  It was a long day so I came home and had a little nap.  

Hope everyone had a wonderful Saturday!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sat, Mar 16 2013 9:32 PM

Thanks, Lillie.  That was a surprisingly wonderful bit of inspiration.  Makes you want to go do something completely different, doesn't it?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 5:32 AM

Good to hear the garage sale was a success Linny. I've always wanted to do a garage sale. Our hood usually has an annual neighborhood garage sale day. I did it last year. Won't do it again. I had everything marked down really CHEAP. And everyone still wanted it cheaper. My DH got tired of the haggling and gave everything away to the person who bought our fridge. He was newly married and was looking for bigger items. I think it's easier for me to donate to the thrift stores.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,016
Points 64,975
Robin replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 6:11 AM

Top of the Morning to all you Lasses,

I'm glad to see we are making the transfer to the new page.   Thanks Linny for the heads of up.   I would have probably stayed on the other page for several weeks talking to myself otherwise.

Today is the celebration of St.  Patty's day.   So make sure if you go out or have a 4 year old living with you that you put on something green. 

Today I should be going to church however, we wound up at my mom's all day yesterday so I'm behind on laundry and grading.   I'll just have to work on it today.  eck!

We did make a fast trip by Joanne's no plundering around straight to business.  I got the fabric I needed for a tshirt quilt I have to make over spring break.  I didn't fine the white wool I was hoping for.

I think I told you all about the t-shirt but I'm  not 100% sure.  I have a somewhat insecure young lady in my class that is moving at the end of the year from our small school to one of Tallahassee largest and most pretentious schools.   She is a good kid but tries really hard to get people to like her and really worries when they don't.  She has had several situation this year where people have done incredibility mean things to her.    I believe it mostly stems out of the fact that she is very energetic and somewhat awkward, so sometimes her actions are in appropriate.  Add that fact that it is obvious that her family has money and she doesn't have to want for a lot.  Makes her a high level target with some kids.   So I'm a little concern how she is going to fit in at a school were everyone has money and are (maybe) a little snobby.    Add to that she is leaving friends that she has had since preschool as she enters her Junior year in high school.   So I came up with the idea of making her a tshirt quilt with shirts from her friends.  Hopefully this will make her parting with her friends not so hard.   This is the young lady who made me the house wallhanging over the summer.   Anyway,  one young lady has gather the shirts now I have to create the quilt, which is a two folded problem.  One I haven't been in much of a mood to sew lately and second I've never made a t-shirt quilt.   But I bought a book and some fabrics and will work my way through it. 

Stephanie,   I can't wait to hear about the expo.

Linny,  Glad that your sister's yard sale went well.  Congrats on selling a scissors fob.    An your cookie action simply means you are a cookie connoisseur.  "A Lover of All Cookies".

Lillie,  That was fast work.   I love the riversilk ribbons that Linny turn me on to from Evening Star Designs.  They are having a sale that ends today.  Unfortunately those are not included.   But they do have some bead packages and variegated ribbons I'm going to take a closer look at before the day ends. 

Jo,  I hope we hear from you soon.

Darlene and Diane,   I hope that your Sunday is a bright and wonderful day.

This week will be a long or maybe short week for me depending on how things go.    I have kind of a crazy schedule this week.   I've got to work Monday.   Right after school leave and go to Tampa for a 2 day workshop.  Come back on Wednesday work Thursday, have a late after school meeting  and then I took Friday off to take Keeley to FSU to meet with an adviser.   

She will be graduating with her AA in December so she is planning to start at FSU in January.    Seems hard to believe that my baby will be leaving the nest so soon.   I did so good with her sister going but I'm not sure how I'm going to do with the baby leaving the nest.   She's the one I always expected to leave the nest and fly far away.   I guess only time will tell.   Anyway that makes for a strange week.   

Well,  I've chatted enough so I will leave you with this ......

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,529
Points 138,938
Stephanie replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 7:03 AM

Robin,

Thank you for sharing the Irish Blessing. Back at ya. Sounds like your week is crazy busy. I think it's a wonderful gesture to make the tshirt quilt for the young lady. I hope she'll find her way in her new school. Hopefully it will bring you back to sew mode. I can relate with everything we've had going on here, sewing has had to take a back seat for a while. (Too long really)

The Expo was fun. I found some silk for a hand project that I have been dying to make, and a piece of wool that was "bird beak" yellow for a penny rug that I have previously chatted about. It has blackbirds and pies and cherries on it. BunnyHillDesigns has 100%wool on her site. I have bought a couple different things and the wool is great quality. I did really well with not spending and only buying what I needed for projects at hand. Proud of myself for that one. I did also order a straight stitch plate for my machine. I have one for my old one and they are really nice to have for piecing. They had a 20% off sale on them for the day.

Even better than the shopping at the Expo was the chance to get away and rekindle a friendship. Too much time passes by sometimes in our busy lives to keep up with things that are most important. Like the people in our lives. It was a blessing to go.   

Hope your day goes well and the "catch up" part goes quickly so that you can have part of the day to relax.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,529
Points 138,938
Stephanie replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 7:04 AM

Lillie,

Thanks for the site and sharing about Cam Creations. That's superfast shipping! Look forward to hearing about your ribbons.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 7:29 AM

Lillie, I have to admit, I wouldn't have done the garage sale if it wasn't that my sister needed help with moving her stuff out and setting up.  That shoulder still hurts when she uses it.  Yesterday her dominant hand was almost useless, so she needed me.  I was amazed how some people saw the sign saying things in that place were .25 and they wanted the whole pile for .25!  I only brought my jewelry so I didn't have to carry stuff back and forth because I knew I'd be busy helping Barb.  I'm with you.  Giving to charity is the best way to get rid of stuff.  People expect you to give it away at garage sales.  At least with charity you know it's going to help a group.  Barb had lots of nice suits.  I mean really nice ones.  They didn't sell, so she's going to donate them to the Clothes Closet - a benefit for people who have nothing who are looking for a job and need a nice outfit to go on their job interviews.  She used to work for Jobs and Benefits, a Florida program for job seekers.  I told her that was a nice way to go.

Robin, thanks for the little Irish Prayer.  Sounds like your weekend was a busy one, too.  Hope you get all your stuff done today.

Today is yard work for me, along with groceries and laundry, so a work day....That's the price for not doing anything but the sale yesterday.  Hope everyone has a great St. Patty's Day!  Any Irish people out there?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 10:10 AM

Hi, Stephanie.  That's funny.  Your posts weren't there when I started writing.  It takes me so long to actually post.  I'll write a little and then go do something else and come back and write a little more.  When I finally hit the enter half an our has gone by.  Sometimes I forget to hit the post button, lol.  Anyone else do this?  

Sounds like a good day for you at the Expo and a nice time catching up with Sandy.  Can't wait to see what you make with the silk.  I think we've all been in a slump with our sewing lately.  Life is so full of busy things.  We all feel like we're stealing time to sew and pay for it in catch up duties.  Sad, isn't it, that our lives are so full of have to's?  I've lived all this time have yet to come up with an alternative to this kind of living.  Every thing that's been invented to cut the time it takes to do have-to things seems like it makes my life that much more complicated and consumes my time all the more.  I suppose I should be thankful for such a full life, right?  

Hope you have a really nice day and have time to play with that silk!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,529
Points 138,938
Stephanie replied on Sun, Mar 17 2013 2:48 PM

Linny t:
Every thing that's been invented to cut the time it takes to do have-to things seems like it makes my life that much more complicated and consumes my time all the more.

So true, isn't it? LOL. That and my mind isn't as snappy as it used to be.LOL I'm keeping that silk in plain view so I can hurry up and finish and get to it.     

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Mon, Mar 18 2013 6:11 AM

Stephanie:
So true, isn't it? LOL. That and my mind isn't as snappy as it used to be.LOL
 I am realizing this more and more each day, too.

Happy Monday everyone.  Hope you all have a wonderful day.   

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 296
Points 26,470

Robin:
a tshirt quilt I have to make over spring break. 

Robin, what process are you going to use for the assembly of the t-shirt quilt?

I ask because I just finished one and may have some input for you. 

I will tell you the process I used and if it helps, great.

I foundation pieced the pieces of the t-shirts to muslin cut slightly larger than the desired finished size of each block including seam allowance.  My blocks were 15" finished so my muslin was cut 16" and after the piecing was finished I trimmed to 15.5" to allow for seams.

I cut the shirts using my square up rulers and rotary cutter so that the design had sufficient room to stitch.  I used novelty fabrics that coordinated with the theme of the shirt or cottons that matched the color scheme.  EX: if the shirt was from a basketball tournament, I used basketball themed fabric around it.

I found that having the shirts surrounded by the cotton and backed with the muslin made them friendlier to piece together.  The shirts were so stretchy and difficult to work with that I really had to get in the proper frame of mind to work on it in the beginning. 

I used a stitch and flip method of piecing like I do when doing CQ.  The easiest thing was to place the shirt where I wanted it on the muslin and then stitch the other pieces to it.  I even used pins which is a major thing I hate to do but I found it essential with larger logos.  The bigger the piece from the shirt the more challenging it can be. 

Hope I haven't discouraged you for this project.  I really found it went fast once I was properly prepared.  It was just wrapping my mind around the whole idea and figuring out how to pull it all together.  The shirts I had to work with were so varied in color, theme and such that I wasn't sure how it would work and I was sure it would not look good at all when it was finished.  I was pleasantly surprised that it looked great when finished and the customer was very pleased.  Her daughter was thrilled and each time I see them, I am told how wonderful it is.

This is a magnificent thing you are doing for this young lady and I am sure she will love it and cherish it forever.

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 1 of 143 (2137 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use