Advice, please

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 9,600
Norma Doll Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2012 1:18 PM

Hi Ladys......I need help;  I took four of my extra "Wacky Web" quilt blocks to make a table topper.  OK, I put binding on them and it had waves in the edges.  I took all of that binding off and trimmed the edges to make sure it was even.  I just now re-bound it and it is still wavey.   Do any of you have any advice??  The blocks do seem stretchy, like some of the strips are on the biase (sp?).

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 3:51 PM

normajo1030:
The blocks do seem stretchy, like some of the strips are on the biase (sp?).

This could definitely do it. Maybe setting for a longer seam on your machine would help. If it's set to small it could cause the fabric to draw as well 

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,795
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 3:59 PM

Jo, you could put some wash away stabilizer on it before putting the binding back on.  Another thing would maybe be to run stay stitching around the edge.  I didn't know if it was already too wavy to do that.  Another alternative is to put a border on it that is on straight of grain and then put the binding on it.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,795
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 4:01 PM

I forgot one more thing.  Use tons of starch on it and press so it's just right before sewing the binding back on.

I don't know how wavy it is, so it's up to your judgement.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Jo, Stephanie and Linny have already given you any advice I would give for the binding of your table runner.

Hope you post pictures when you are done.

Best of luck with this project.  Sounds like a good use of left over blocks.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use