"Cute as a Button" CQ Round Robin

rated by 0 users
This post has 515 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:03 PM

How about this?  Our first Round Robin!  We will officially start on 9/1, so start gathering your stash.  We're doing 12" blocks and you can use any fabrics you like.  Thanks, Diane for getting us motivated.  Thanks, Robin for the idea for the theme, "Cute as a Button". 

The participants are:

Diane

Lille

Stephanie

Robin

Linny

A post with the complete instructions will follow soon. 

Since it's not such a great idea to post our addresses here for the whole world to find, if everyone could friend me and send your name and mailing address it'd be great. I'll send a list back to you with all of the addresses.

I just know this is going to be so much fun and I can hardly wait to get started!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

I hope that you are off to a wonderful Saturday.  I am so excited about the round robin.   I think that it will be fun and interesting.  

Stephanie, thanks for posting the link to the page I was referring to, I thought I did but I guess I failed.   One of the things I liked about it was it really has a lot of opportunity for seam embellishments and I think that is one of the hardest things for me is finding new ways to embellish seams.  

Linny correct me if I'm wrong I only need one block to mail right?

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:57 AM

Robin:

Linny correct me if I'm wrong I only need one block to mail right?

You are absolutely right, Robin.  I hope your Saturday is wonderful, too.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:41 AM

Are the rules posted somewhere? I know they are pretty simple, but just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly (or as close as humanly possible).

I do have one question. Are we supposed to mail off our block Sept 1, or have the entire month of Sept to finish it and mail it off Oct 1? Mine is already finished so I could mail it off next week lol.  I just have to create the journal and make a label so everyone can sign it. Then I'll be ready to mail it.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:01 AM

Robin:
Stephanie, thanks for posting the link to the page I was referring to, I thought I did but I guess I failed.   One of the things I liked about it was it really has a lot of opportunity for seam embellishments and I think that is one of the hardest things for me is finding new ways to embellish seams. 

Your welcome Robin. I'm going to bring it over here too so we can find it easily for reference. It's a great idea, and she has lots of wonderful pic's to help us find new ways to embellish.  http://pintangle.com/category/projects/crazy-quilt-details/

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:08 AM

Lillie:

Are the rules posted somewhere? I know they are pretty simple, but just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly (or as close as humanly possible).

Diane had posted them in earlier discussions in Our Day. They are going to bring them over here so they don't get lost.

Lillie:
Are we supposed to mail off our block Sept 1

My understanding  is that we should have our block ready to mail by Sept 1st. Don't forget to post a pic of it in media first, and "friend" Linny with your address. I don't know if you have friended anyone on site yet so if you need help doing that let us know.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:47 PM

I've asked Diane to post the instructions in this thread all together, since she has done these before.  I thought she'd be the best one to do it.  As far as mailing the blocks out on 9/1, I thought we'd actually have Sept. to make the blocks in case anyone needed to work on their stash, etc.  We can take a vote about it.  If everyone has what they need to make the basic block and feels good about making it and sending it out by 9/1, that's okay with me. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 2:48 PM

Linny t:

I've asked Diane to post the instructions in this thread all together, since she has done these before.  I thought she'd be the best one to do it.  As far as mailing the blocks out on 9/1, I thought we'd actually have Sept. to make the blocks in case anyone needed to work on their stash, etc.  We can take a vote about it.  If everyone has what they need to make the basic block and feels good about making it and sending it out by 9/1, that's okay with me. 

I think that 9/15 could give us more time to get it together.

Linny--I sent you a list of guidelines which you could adapt as needed for our group.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:33 PM

Diane:

Linny t:

I think that 9/15 could give us more time to get it together.

Linny--I sent you a list of guidelines which you could adapt as needed for our group.

Thanks, Diane. I 'll check it out. 

How does a 9/15 deadline sound to everyone for having the blocks made and sent out?  It's month, so we still get to start now.  Sounds good to me.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:53 PM

RR Guidelines for "Cute as a Button"

Blocks will be 12"x12" and backed with a cotton fabric like muslin.

Fabrics can be made from any type---silk, cotton, linen, polyester, etc.

The bare block must be placed in a plastic bag and kept in the bag when a person is not working on the block.

The owner's name, address, and phone number should be on the back of the block and on the plastic bag.

A booklet will be placed in the bag for stitchers to make notes on what they did on the block. There is a page for each stitcher to write on.  The owner of the block writes first to make personal notes about the block.

The booklet is generally made from folded 9x11 size paper (stapled or glued) and the cover should be somewhat heavier paper like construction paper.

The booklet must contain a list of the participants in the order that the block is sent.  You always mail to the same person.  The person after you on the list.  The last person on the list sends to the first person on the list.  The name and email address of the stitch angel will be included in the list.

You take a picture of the bare block that you receive and then one of the work that you do.  You post it for the group to see.  Also notify the group when you send or receive a block.

The block should be mailed in time for the next stitcher gets the block by the fifteenth of the month.

If there are any problems during the round robin, the stitch angel must be notified immediately so that a solution can be made.

Remember that this will be mailed so lightweight is always considerate.

Thanks to Diane for these great guidelines!  The only change I made was to the date.  I changed it to the 15th.  I know we haven't all voted on it yet, but it's not carved in stone :) 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:08 PM

I put a copy of these guidelines in Pages.  I also made a link for it next to the "Cute as a Button" line under Current Projects on the home page of our group.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:37 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for the guidelines, and 09/15 works for me....

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:11 PM

Thanks Linny-----You seem to be setting this up wonderfully!   There will be glitches but then we are human!    I like the way it's going.  As the kids say "I'm Stoked!!!!".

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:45 AM

Linny,

Thanks for such clear outlines.  

Thanks to everyone for extending the deadline to the 15th with school pressing down the 15th will be easy to meet.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:31 AM

My block is ready to go on 9/1. I'm happy to wait until 10/1 if others need additional time to put their's together. I'm flexible on starting dates.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 35 (516 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use