northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,070
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:07 PM

Hi Everyone

I am sorry to have not written to my favorite group.  I have been exhausted!  I thing my fibromyalgia has gone into phase II which is decrease in pain to tiredness.

It seems to go that way.

The dragons are doing well.  Only one is not eating crickets yet.  He is tiny and darker. He is eating kale though.  The bigger ones are just beautiful.  They are all males because the temp in the incubator determines their sex.  I checked one of the large ones and I could see he was male.  I thought they were males because their heads are very blocky.  The females have slimmer heads.

There is on of them that is not scared of me at all.  He doesn't run from me and he enjoys being held.  I'm going to keep him.  I put a mark on his back so I'll know him.  He is medium sized but he is eating well.

I am still working on the RR block which I should of mailed before the first.  I intend to finish it today.  It takes courage to do these things.  It's not my block you know!

Stephanie---you have lost a lot of weight!!!  Glad you hear you like your Doctor.  You are right---it's not about sugar but eating large meal and carbs.  

Robin----I looked at the quilt you are making for your niece---just beautiful.  That is a challenge.  It still amazes me how much you can do.

Denise--welcome!

Lillie--enjoy your trip.  Those trips really help raise our spirits.  Especially if we are visiting someone special.

Linny--so nice how you keep this group going.  Thanks.

If I didn't mention anyone---it's my memory---and God Bless You!

Lillie---enjoy your trip!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:13 PM

Diane,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly. Take some time for yourself. I do hope your quilting bee is going well. How are the dragons?

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,099
Points 110,105
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:31 AM

Diane:
Linny--so nice how you keep this group going.  Thanks.
 Well, God Bless you for saying so, Diane.  Your dragon tales make me smile every time.  I read about Travis in the My Day 2 thread.  I think it's adorable that you marked his head to keep him.  I didn't know you could affect their sex with the temp. in the incubator.  Fascinating.  

I sure do wish you were feeling better.  Being tired all the time is depressing.

Diane:
I am still working on the RR block which I should of mailed before the first.  I intend to finish it today.  It takes courage to do these things.  It's not my block you know!
I'm sure they will say it was worth the wait when they see how beautiful it is.  It does take some effort of mind to get over the fact that it's someone else's block in these RR's.  I always have confidence and then as soon as I lay a needle to it that fear comes in and makes me doubt they will like what I do.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,099
Points 110,105
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 11:51 AM

I've seen quite a few people have joined our little Crazy Art Quilters Group.  I just want to say Welcome to all of you!  Don't be shy.  Drop in and post something.  We do our daily chatting in the "My Day 2" thread.  Stop in and tell us about yourself.  We're a small, cozy group and like to create a little out of the box sometimes, but primarily we just have lots of warm friendship.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,070
Diane replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 3:16 PM

Hi Everyone

I am having a paperwork day.  Going through mail and recycling.  Finally getting a few things done.  I don't like to do the paperwork.  I do all my banking online. But still----so many useless paper.  Now I can give some attention to the block I am doing for the RR.

My silks are on their way---I am really loving to work with silks in crazy quilting.  It makes such a difference in the look of the block.

Linny--you are so right about what you can give and get from pets.  Today Travis was out of his tank and stayed on my shoulder for over an hour.  He is so calm and enjoys it so much---as I do.  It was so great that I had one that has such a sweet personality.  It's so funny being that he is a lizard. LOL

Cloudy day today which is good for me because it's cooler.  Soon I will enjoy some cool air from outside.  I will be glad to see the change of seasons.  I hope we get more snow this year.

I remember maybe 10 years ago Florida had so much ice that the iguanas were falling out of the trees!  They showed it on CNN. Remember?

Steph--I will be interested to know how Obamacare effects your business.  Let me know as you find out.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,099
Points 110,105
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 6:36 PM

Diane, I hate paperwork, too.  I did some of that this weekend.  I pulled 2 large bags of paper and misc. out of my room.  Just old junk I let pile up.  

Silks make all the difference in a CQ.  Where did you order from?  Did you see that ESD has a 20% off anything sale?

That's just adorable about Travis sitting on your shoulder for and hour.  You seem to have such an affinity with him.  I'm glad you have that and it's amazing that he's a lizard.  I do remember that the iguanas fell from the trees in S. Florida.  That was so long ago my girls were little then, so maybe 15 or 20 yrs.  It actually snowed on Christmas Eve that year.  The whole neighborhood was outside with their heads tipped back and their tongues sticking out catching snowflakes.  Of course they melted as soon as they hit the ground.  It was a funny sight.

Hope that cool front brings you some fall colors.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Wed, Oct 16 2013 7:00 PM

It's so odd to me. I almost never pay attention to this because so many people seem to join and no one ever comes back to reply or chime in.

Diane,

I think that's how I totally missed your Sept. post. Sorry about that. This is the first I had seen it. I'll try to pay closer attention.

Amen to useless paperwork! Hate it, and could do without it!!!!

I didn't know you had ordered silks. They're just glowing fabrics, aren't they? You'll have to post us a pic when they come. I got an email from ESD and they're having an overall 20 percent off the site tomorrow only.

Travis loves you. Lizard or not, I think the sensitive ones know who loves them, and respond in kind.

Finally after suffering through the heat of the days, you have some cooler weather and can have your windows open. It was a beautiful day here too.  Not cool enough to have the house open, but still. It'll be coming soon.

Diane:

I remember maybe 10 years ago Florida had so much ice that the iguanas were falling out of the trees!  They showed it on CNN. Remember?

I don't remember that, but we rarely have even a frost. Maybe a night or two all winter, but it can wreak havoc on the citrus trees and tomatoes. Our growing season is in the winter here so there's a lot to be lost.

Diane:

Steph--I will be interested to know how Obamacare effects your business.  Let me know as you find out.

I will. At this point, as a business I'm not required to carry it for one employee. My employee's really upset over the whole thing because he thought we'd have to, and it would all be free for him. (He's not saavy enough to realize that if we could afford it we'd have already had it for him.) And then for him to find out that he has to have his own policy or pay a fine made him more upset. He talked to a friend whose son is 26 making minimum wage and got a policy. The best the insurance companies he shopped, were to offer him a policy for $6000.00 a year with a $3000.00 deductible. At 26! On minimum wage! Consider a net income of $11, 500.00 a year on a minimum wage full time job and having $6000.00 of it go toward health insurance. 

Right now, after conversing with some of my wealthy customers that have large corporations the chatter is that they are going to bring in millions dropping health care for their employees altogether and paying the fines. Right now an employer has the right to offer health insurance and only pay 50 percent of coverage. Depending on that coverage, family, single, and the deductible they really have an option to do what is most financially to their benefit.  And we all know full time work in companies is becoming a thing of the past.

I'm in a quandry understanding who benefits from this besides the gov't and already wealthy employers of large companies. Where will the fine money and extra tax they'll be charging people on sales of houses etc  going to go? Will it be like the Lotto where 1 percent will actually  to benefit Healthcare?

I'm really not up on the ever changing details of all of this, but you'd sure think if everyone has to have mandatory coverage, that instead of the insurance companies seeing this as an opportunity to fatten their wallets, and large corporations in kind, and the extra tax/fine money taken in, the gov't should step up and regulate something in the rates we should be charged.  I think the intentions are good for wanting everyone to be insured, but the plan needs perfecting. If we can't afford Health Care now, where is the reality in thinking it will be different in law. Especially if the rates are so high it costs 25 to 50 percent of your salary?

I don't know, I just don't know. I'm hoping to gain a better understanding. We've had people picketing down here to opt out. Only time will tell....    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 3:34 AM

Linny t:
I pulled 2 large bags of paper and misc. out of my room.  Just old junk I let pile up.  

Isn't it crazy the way stuff piles up? I even keep a shredder under my desk.

Linny t:
I do remember that the iguanas fell from the trees in S. Florida.  That was so long ago my girls were little then, so maybe 15 or 20 yrs.  It actually snowed on Christmas Eve that year.  The whole neighborhood was outside with their heads tipped back and their tongues sticking out catching snowflakes.  Of course they melted as soon as they hit the ground.  It was a funny sight.

That's so cool. The closest we came was a hail the size of golf balls storm. Such a change from being up North.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 7:55 AM

Stephanie:

I will. At this point, as a business I'm not required to carry it for one employee. My employee's really upset over the whole thing because he thought we'd have to, and it would all be free for him. (He's not saavy enough to realize that if we could afford it we'd have already had it for him.) And then for him to find out that he has to have his own policy or pay a fine made him more upset. He talked to a friend whose son is 26 making minimum wage and got a policy. The best the insurance companies he shopped, were to offer him a policy for $6000.00 a year with a $3000.00 deductible. At 26! On minimum wage! Consider a net income of $11, 500.00 a year on a minimum wage full time job and having $6000.00 of it go toward health insurance. 

Right now, after conversing with some of my wealthy customers that have large corporations the chatter is that they are going to bring in millions dropping health care for their employees altogether and paying the fines. Right now an employer has the right to offer health insurance and only pay 50 percent of coverage. Depending on that coverage, family, single, and the deductible they really have an option to do what is most financially to their benefit.  And we all know full time work in companies is becoming a thing of the past.

I'm in a quandry understanding who benefits from this besides the gov't and already wealthy employers of large companies. Where will the fine money and extra tax they'll be charging people on sales of houses etc  going to go? Will it be like the Lotto where 1 percent will actually  to benefit Healthcare?

I'm really not up on the ever changing details of all of this, but you'd sure think if everyone has to have mandatory coverage, that instead of the insurance companies seeing this as an opportunity to fatten their wallets, and large corporations in kind, and the extra tax/fine money taken in, the gov't should step up and regulate something in the rates we should be charged.  I think the intentions are good for wanting everyone to be insured, but the plan needs perfecting. If we can't afford Health Care now, where is the reality in thinking it will be different in law. Especially if the rates are so high it costs 25 to 50 percent of your salary?

I don't know, I just don't know. I'm hoping to gain a better understanding. We've had people picketing down here to opt out. Only time will tell....    

As far as I'm concerned they changed the name to Obamacare because it is not Affordable Health Care and was never going to be affordable. I have friends who were so excited and have checked into it. It is outrageously expensive that they can't afford any portion of it. And the coverage they would have received was only major medical. No coverage for everyday aches and pains. How can a family of four making $50,000 afford Obamacare? It's just horrible and I don't see that it will get any better over time.

I missed the original post as well.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,070
Diane replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 8:28 AM

Hi Everyone

I a sooooo excited!  A JoAnns opened up just a few miles away!!!!!!!  I am going today with my girlfriend who loves to shop there too.  Trims and whatever---here I come!!!!

About Obamacare.  That name came from the Republicans.  Romney did it in his state and it worked out great.  There will be subsidies for the "working poor".  They will just have to show proof of income.  A family of 4 making only $50,000 should get a chunk off of the bill.  It's cheaper that most insurance companies and everyone will be covered.  What happens with the family of 4 who don't have insurance is when the go to the ER, they end up with a big bill---maybe $3000 and since they have an income, they will have to pay that off.  Obamacare will insure that they won't have to go through that.  After all the kinks are worked out, it will be great.  Just think if we didn't have Social Security---we did have to pay for that all of our working lives.  I would be up the creek without a paddle.  I think this is such a good thing for the middle class and poor and working poor.

And about the shut down.  Boy was that a mess.  I will be so happy when the Republican party has strong moderate leaders.  The tea party is such a radical group and should not have anything to do with the Republican party.  We need 2 strong parties!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 6:01 PM

Hope you had a great time at JoAnns with your girlfriend.

Thanks for the info. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,070
Diane replied on Thu, Oct 17 2013 10:47 PM

I had a fantastic time at JoAnn's.  It was a great store--large with all kind of things.  I was able to buy so many things I wanted and got 40 or 50% off because we found extra coupons.  I got fat quarters, trims, a few house hold items, a magnetic pin holder, floss, and a pillow form.  I also got the silks today from Victoria Brown.  It's almost too much!  I had a great day!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Fri, Oct 18 2013 7:53 AM

Diane,

Sounds like a great haul for you! Made me smile to think of you being able to go and find so many bargains to boot.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,725

My name is Donnamarie Gilliam.  Everyone calls me mamag, hence my tag name mamagshouse.  I am a 48 year old mother of six.  We have a his mine and our family.  I gave birth to five of them and I cheated a bit because I had a set of identical twin boys who are now 14.  I was born and grew up in Bellmore, Long Island, NY.  We then moved to Redondo Beach, CA when I was 24 and my first born girl was only 3 months old.  From there we moved to Yorba Linda, CA.   I liked it there but then we had to move to Atlanta, GA and had baby boy.  We lived there for 11 years.  After the twins were born in 2000 my husband at the time couldn't handle it so we divorced.  I met and married a Cowboy who had a 5 year old girl and after 9-11 I found out that I was pregnant with another girl.  We then moved to Venice, FL and lived there for 12 years.  We moved last July to Saratoga Springs, UT but my twins decided to live with their dad:(  So only my 11 year old girl is left at home.  My oldest is married and has a 9 month old girl and she is due with her second child in August which is a boy.  My oldest son and step daughter are away at college.  Last April my Lupus flared up again and I have chronic migraines which led to depression so I filed for disability after 30 years of being in the workforce.  (I'm still waiting for them to approve my claim) To help with my depression I began to engross myself again into all the needle arts I had learned from my grandmother.  I truly have a passion for all of them this way I don't get bored and can mix it up.  I don't have a favorite but my crochet quilts are what I am requested to make a lot of.

Page 3 of 4 (51 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use