My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 145
Points 23,780

Linny t:
I never did go to Michael's.  I got into making scissor fobs and earrings, too.  I forgot to mention that Barb, Karen and I are going to sell our crafts by having a garage sale.

Linny, sorry to hear that you didn't get to Michael's but sounds like you made the most of the day.  Your scissor fobs should get a good response.  They are beautiful.  If I were closer, I would come to your sale.

Linny t:
I was so into it I forgot to check in on you all

Great day when that happens.  Of course, it is sad at the end of the day when you realize what you missed while being so engrossed in your creativity.  At least that is how I feel when I miss long periods of time chatting with all of my quilty friends and catching up.

Linny t:
 Hope everyone had a really nice day

Yesterday was the first craft show I have attended this year.  It was in the next county which can be a challenge driving  but I encouraged by Tim to go.  He is so supportive about me going to shows and encourages me to do one a month during this time of year.  I had a limited amount of space and because of when I signed up I was not along the wall so I knew I couldn't set up racks with quilts behind the table like I would under normal circumstances.  I made the choice to leave all my quilts and table runners home.  I took all the crocheted kitchen items I had along with the purses I had left from last summer.  Last item on the table was the quilted electronics covers I made for Nooks, Kindles and I-pads.  My sales were not what I had hoped but I did sell some things.  Because of the new year and different venue, I decided this was the time to make changes to some of my pricing.  Cost of goods is increasing and I have known this needed to happen.  Hard to say if sales were slower because of the product mix, the pricing or the venue.  Kyle was with me for the day.  He came over Friday and when he heard about it he offered to ride along and help me carry in, set up, etc.  I think he is lonely and I enjoyed spending the day with him.  Anyway, Kyle told me there were too many variables in the equation and it was what it was.  He is so concise in his thinking.

We had some miserable weather when it was time to come home.  Kyle offered to drive but we had the Jeep (Tim's new car) and Tim does not want Kyle to drive it.  It is 4 wheel drive and I understand.  Kyle has never driven 4 wheel drive.  Neither had I before this vehicle.  As it turned out we did not need to engage the 4 wheel.  Just slow driving because of the visibility and idiots with no headlights on.  I had someone follow me for almost half the drive without turning on their lights.  Made it hard because I wasn't quite sure how close they were to me.  After we were on our way I realized I should have altered my route and taken a longer but flatter way home.  The way we went took us thru three counties rather than two but it was the shortest distance and a really beautiful drive when you could see.  LOL.

Got home and Tim suggested I take Kyle out for dinner as a reward for having to spend the entire day with his mother.  Kyle chose Applebees and we told Tim we would bring him home dinner.  The snow was coming down so hard that we got covered just walking in from the parking lot.  They told us it would be a 30-35 minute wait.  We decided to stay.  I am not a big fan of Applebees but thought I would be open to it since Kyle was excited about it. (don't mind them for lunch but their dinner choices are not exciting to me)  Everywhere had a full parking lot so we knew we would wait no matter where we went [except Mom's kitchen.]  The wait ended up being closer to 45 minutes and we were seated at a high top [one of the tables by the bar]  I didn't mind the high top but everything was a diaster from then on out.  Our waittress was not overly attentive and we waited for refills on drinks.  Our dinner was delayed to the point that the manager came by and apologized for the delay.  He offered us dessert before we got dinner.  Knowing that things were taking so long, I had ordered Tim's take out before our dinner was delivered hoping that we would get a jump on things and be able to get dinner home for Tim in a reasonable amount of time.  I told the manager that the way he could make it up to me was to make sure my husband's take out was not delayed. Played it up by adding that my husband had recently come home from the hospital and was unable to come out for dinner.  He told me he would do that and that he would comp the take out.  My food was not very tasty and I was extremely disappointed that I had not just ordered a burger.  When Tim's dinner came I asked for a take out container for my left overs (Kyle offered to take them off my hands and since we had paid for it and he thought he would eat it today for lunch, I figured why not)  We did get Tim's steak dinner for free which was a good thing because it was not cooked to the way I ordered and his vegetables were raw.  Overall a horrible night other than spending two and a half hours with my son having wonderful conversation.

The other blessing to yesterday was that I had sent a text message to one of my high school friends who lives near where the craft show was.  I told her the hours and said I hoped she could stop by.  Her mom is very ill and not expected to live much longer.  I knew she needed to talk and it turned out she came by and we had a great conversation.  She is struggling with the end of her parent's life.  This is a difficult time and she is not a strong believer but I had the chance to share some things with her which I hope helped.  Her siblings are fighting over every decision and her dad is not accepting that the time is imminent.  She is the thread holding the family together and she is wearing thin.  I told her I was praying for her but she told me she doesn't pray.  Don't know how people can experience this types of life changes without prayer but Kyle tells me that is just me.  He is so grounded in his faith but he tells me he doesn't feel his faith is that strong.  He "just knows" and therefore he doesn't think it is faith.  I told him that "knowing" something that well that you can't see or touch is faith.

Well, I need to get myself ready for church or I will be late.

Hope that everyone has a Super Sunday and that you have time for something which helps you reflect on life.  For those of you experiencing your first chills of the season, bundle up and stay healthy.  If you are experiencing drivng hazards, stay in and be safe.

Will chat again soon.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,917
Points 38,515
Diane replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:35 PM

Robin:
I've suddenly realized that no one got the mail yesterday

Was yesterday the first day of no mail on Saturdays?

Robin:
I've spent the last 1/2 hour drinking coffee, admiring my block and all the wonderful work each of you did.  I can't say thank you enough.  

I love your block too Robin.  I had such a hard time with those blue flowers since ribbon work is fairly new to me.  I got out of my comfort zone.  I really think this is what these RR's do for you sometimes.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,262
Points 134,988
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:57 PM

Darlene,

Sounds like you had quite a day yesterday! It was good to hear that you had some sales. And you're right, cost increases have to happen.  Not sure what to expect this time of year with the weather being what it was yesterday for you.

Made me so happy to read that Kyle volunteered to help and that the two of you spent the day together and were able to have some nice conversations. Such a bummer about Applebee's. I always loved their Bourbon St steak. I'll tell you though, it seems like every restaurant I've been to has either changed the menu, or the food tastes so generic and bland. It's so dissappointing, and then to have bad service to boot is the pits. It's good to hear that Tim's appetite is better if he's ordering steak.

It was sad reading about your friend with her mom. I'm with you in not understanding how people can survive the times without prayer. To each his own, I suppose. She is fortunate to have you to be there for her, as a friend and someone that can relate a great deal to what she's going through.  You're a good friend and a beautiful person.  

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,262
Points 134,988
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 1:10 PM

Robin,

Great to hear you got your block yesterday. I was quite relieved yesterday when I saw the tracking notice after my questions about our mail this week. I loved the journals too. They were such a great idea, and a treasure for sure.

All,

Hope you're enjoying your day. We took off this morning and went and saw some friends new house they're buying. Not so new really, and needs some work, but it's in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of established landscaping. I love older neighborhoods like that. My son Paul and his girl were there too. It was a nice visit with everyone. Love to listen to their plans and dreams.

After that I had to run into Staples office supply, and the grocery for some haircolor. They didn't have the one I've been using so it will be an adventure. I actually bought two different ones to mix, so if for some reason it turns magenta or some other form of unusual I'll keep you posted. I can handle "different" to some degree. LOL.

Right now, my feet hurt and I'm thinking of an afternoon nap. I'm sure I can find a couple furbabies around here that will join in. LOL. I still have some things I need to catch up on (chore wise) around here before the work week starts all over.

That's about it for me, for now.... 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:44 PM

Stephanie, Sounds like your day has been full already.  How great you got to visit with your friends and with Paul & his girl at the same time.  I hope your hair color experience is a good one.  Also that you got at least 1 fur baby to nap with.  With the cooler temps it'd be a good day for a nap.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:50 PM

Robin:
Random Acts of Kindness Day
 This should be every day.  How much better a place would the world be if everyone did?

Sounds like you had a nice day, Robin.  Good to hear you talking about doing fun stuff with your family.  I like what you said about skipping the routine to appreciate the routine.  Very wise.

How exciting to make those 1st cuts for a new quilt and a new technique.  It's such a cute quilt and I just know you'll be great at needle turn.  I'm looking forward to hearing about it as you progress.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:52 PM

Lillie, that flu sure got you, didn't it?  Sorry you have to feel so bad for so long.  Hope DH doesn't get it next.  That's some nasty stuff!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 3:03 PM

Darlene, your Applebee's experience left a lot to be desired.  Still you got to spend quality time with Kyle all day, so that's a real plus.  I've never been a big fan of Applebee's either.  They're okay, but they don't really treat you well and when they get too busy they seem to fall apart around here, too.  

To me a life with out prayer is a life with no hope.  I can't imagine being the thread that holds my family together without praying, especially when my mother is ready to pass on.  At least she has you to pray in the gap.  She is very lucky to have you as a friend.  

I love what you told Kyle about "knowing" being faith.  Faith isn't a feeling - it's the substance of things unseen.  He's lucky to have you for a Momma.

So, Tim is eating steak.  I bet even though it wasn't particularly great, he still enjoyed the eating of it.   

If I lived near you, I'd come to your sale and buy stuff, too :)  Glad you could get out and do that again.  It's been awhile since I've heard you talking about it.

Hope you have a lovely Sunday.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 3:05 PM

Diane:
I got out of my comfort zone.  I really think this is what these RR's do for you sometimes.
 Isn't that the truth?  I learned so much about all of you and myself through our RR.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 3:07 PM

Robin:

Hi again Everyone,

I've suddenly realized that no one got the mail yesterday.  Ran out and sure enough my block was back home.   I've spent the last 1/2 hour drinking coffee, admiring my block and all the wonderful work each of you did.  I can't say thank you enough.   I also will treasure the words you wrote in my journal forever.   Thank you so much.

Robin

Isn't it something else when you get that block back?  I am still finding things I didn't see before in mine.  I really cherish my journal, too.  It was a real joy stitching on everyone's blocks.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 3:29 PM

Darlene:
Linny, sorry to hear that you didn't get to Michael's but sounds like you made the most of the day.  Your scissor fobs should get a good response.  They are beautiful.  If I were closer, I would come to your sale.

I made up for not going to Michael's yesterday by going today.  I spent more than I wanted to, but saved a lot, too, which is fun.  I got some jewelry price tags and a punch for making earring holder cards, which will make them easier to handle and present.  I made about 20 pairs last night, so now I'll spend much of the rest of the day punching and putting them on cards.  I have to fight the temptation to decorate the cards.  Paper crafting is something else I enjoy.

I realize that a garage sale isn't the best venue to sell my stuff, but I'm looking forward to getting objective opinions on my work.  Making a few bucks along the way wouldn't hurt my feelings, though, I have to say.  We're having it at my niece's house.  She lives in a really nice neighborhood and the last one they had there, people seemed to have extra money to spend.  We'll see.  Next month they are having a community sale in my sister's neighborhood.  We'll do the same thing then.  After that there may be a few craft shows in our future.  We'll see.  Don't want to get to far ahead of myself, lol.

Well, onward and upward.  Hope everyone has enjoyed this beautiful Sunday so far.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,262
Points 134,988
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:46 PM

Loved reading about your plans Linny.

Wishing you girls all the best at your sales. I do agree that it would be a good venue to get objective opinions too. Maybe one year we'll see you at The Lakeland Sewing Expo as a vendor.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,853
Points 61,055
Robin replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 5:34 AM

Good Morning One and all,

Happy President's Day.    According to the calendar it is also Wine Day and National Battery Day.   So get charge up and go for it.

I love reading all the events of the day yesterday.   I think it is amazing how much happens in life that we do, and say and never truly know the whole effect that it has on other peoples' lives.

Darlene--- So glad you were able to get out and do something "normal" for a change.   I bet that felt terrific.  But then to have the add bonus of Kyle's company and to be such an inspiration to your friend, Wow what a day you had!    I'm sorry that your sell were off and dinner was a disaster, but isn't God's plan awesome.  Just think if you had had great volume of sales.  You may not have been able to sit and talk with your friend, who obviously needed you.   If dinner had not been so slow you would have had more time to talk with Kyle and get that sense of where his faith is.   I know knowing he is so grounded has to be a real relieve to you as a parent.   I'm like you I can't imagine a life without prayer.   I hope that your friend will be in touch and you will get to see the benefit of such a divine appointment.

Linny--- Sounds like you might be starting on your own new adventure.   What a wonderful and exciting experience for you!?!   Best of luck next weekend with your sells. I really enjoyed reading about the journey of the polar bear and the nugget.

Stephanie--- I'm so glad you got in a little personal time yesterday.   It can make such a difference. You really did make it snow on my block.  And the birds look like they were made to peak out of the fireweed.

Lillie--- Hope this morning finds your energy level on the rise. 

Lillie--- I had to come back and tell you that your ribbon work is gorgeous.  I love my little basket of flowers.  And the little bird just pop out and surprised me yesterday out of the blue.  He is so precious.

Diane--- I thought your work was excellent.   I love the lupine and the blueberries.  I wondered if you knew blueberries is one of their big items in Alaska.  When I was buying fabrics, there was blueberry fabric everywhere.   I didn't buy any at the time because it wasn't a flower.  But when I got home I regretted it.  I was so excited when I studied the block yesterday and found them.  Your work is so dainty and delicate looking.

As for my day I spent a little time working on one project or another and watching Hallmark movies.   I did finally get up and clean up the kitchen when a friend called to talk.  It is so much easier to hold the phone and wash dishes than hold the phone and stitch.   I set five new flowers in Laurie's Grandma's flower garden thanks to the motivation of one of the ladies in the UFO group who challenge me.   I got the pieces cut for the first house.  I need to draw the picture on the background fabric, and I did a little work on my May Block.  So it was a productive day.   

I also played on the internet some and so where people were selling Grandma's Flower quilt on ebay for 66.00 dollars.   I have warn Laurie that this quilt better not find itself on sold for 66.00.   I can't imagine selling something with all that work in it for so little.   People have no clue.   As a society we are just throwing away to be throwing away.   We no longer appreciate the love of labor or skill of handwork.  Anyway,   I guess I just love old quilts and the memories stored in them to much.   I just hope one of my grandchildren wear this quilt out. 

Today is a school holiday, however with state so close I'm going into school so the kids can come work.  We need the preparation time.   I figure anything we do today I don't have to think about tomorrow.   My kids love to come work during other class time, which is only with the other teachers approval first, but when they do that and I'm trying to teach it is sometimes hard to deal with the interruptions and stay on track.   So I really don't mind working today, so they might get enough things done that tomorrow they can hold off with questions to the end of the day, after school. 

By the way I've decided that when I retire I am coming to stay with each of you for a week.  I want to sit at your feet and learn how to do such neat and delicate work as you all did on my block.  Both Donn and I are amazed at the  tiny elegant stitches on this block.  Looking at it just makes me want to cry.  Thank you all again.   I've never been blessed with many good friends, but in the few in my life I count you all.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:05 AM

Stephanie:
Maybe one year we'll see you at The Lakeland Sewing Expo as a vendor.  
 That sounds like fun.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,830
Points 106,140
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:14 AM

Robin:
Happy President's Day.    According to the calendar it is also Wine Day and National Battery Day.   So get charge up and go for it.
I'm not surprised about Wine Day, but Battery Day?  Happy President's day to you, too, Robin.  You dedicated teacher of young, promising children!

Robin:
Linny--- I really enjoyed reading about the journey of the polar bear and the nugget.
  This made me smile :)

Thanks for the good luck wish on the sale.  It should be fun, anyways.  We always have fun when we're out together.

Robin:
By the way I've decided that when I retire I am coming to stay with each of you for a week.  I want to sit at your feet and learn how to do such neat and delicate work as you all did on my block.  Both Donn and I are amazed at the  tiny elegant stitches on this block.  Looking at it just makes me want to cry.  Thank you all again.   I've never been blessed with many good friends, but in the few in my life I count you all.

I look forward to it, Robin.  Reading this made me want to cry, too.  I felt the same when I got my block, too.

Linny T

Page 350 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev348349350351352Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use