rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,053
Stephanie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 9:41 AM

Robin:
He is suffering so bad right now with all the aches and pains in his joints.   He has a lower curve spine and was told as a child to get a desk job add that to his excessive weight and he is a walking stump almost.   Not to mention a family history of arthritis  a mile long.   I've tried to get him to go see a doctor but am having no luck. 

Robin,

Mike has developed terrible arthritis in his thumbs. His family has a history as well. His Mom told him that 1000mmg of Vitamin D a day really helps her, and it seems to help Mike as well. His grandmother suffered terribly with RA, so I don't know if the Vit. D helps with this specific type or all. I had another lady tell me that fruit pectin changed her life after two weeks.  They sell this as "Sure Jell" in the grocery. Just a couple Holistic thoughts for a stubborn hubbie.

Hope you have happy Fat Tuesday too.   

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:15 AM

Lillie:
DH took me back to the docs this afternoon. Doc says I don't have pneumonia, but definitely have something going on in my lungs different than last week. He gave me antibiotics and script cough meds. DH is out getting them filled as I write.  I hope these do the trick. I'll keep you posted.
 Glad DH took you back to the Dr. and now you have meds. to help you get over this.  You've been really sick for way too long.  There is some nasty bronchial thing going on around here.

Yesterday I was at Wynn Dixie by me and someone's child was croup coughing so badly you could hear it throughout the store.  People were remarking about it.  I met up with them at the bread shelves and stayed as far away as I could while still getting my bread.  Luckily they didn't eat the same brand as me, but still, why bring a child that sick to the store?  Hopefully it's because she didn't have any other alternative, although the lady didn't flinch when the child coughed - everyone else around her did.  I thought about you and how easy it is to transmit these things.  I wondered how many people would get the same thing just from shopping at that particular time...hoping I don't get it.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:18 AM

Stephanie:
Mike had to run over to my younger brothers house to borrow an extension cord. Someone stole ours from the job over the weekend. Anyway when he came back my brother had sent me a gift. He said he bought it for me about 5 years ago. It was an angel watch. Raphael's angels I think and it had a bookmark with a sweet angel prayer. Don't you just love spontaneous things like that?
 What a sweet thing for you.  Like a little God wink.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:38 AM

Robin:
Time to go way up the hubby and get him moving.   He is suffering so bad right now with all the aches and pains in his joints.   He has a lower curve spine and was told as a child to get a desk job add that to his excessive weight and he is a walking stump almost.   Not to mention a family history of arthritis  a mile long.   I've tried to get him to go see a doctor but am having no luck. 

Poor guy.  I know how it feels to have a curved spine and for it to be arthritic.  Walking stump, lol.  I get that.   I used to take meds. for it, but felt uneasy about the side affects - like sudden death from bleeding internally and liver disease, so now I just take Ibuprophen when it gets too bad.  Aleve helps a lot and lasts all day.   I don't know about taking tons of vitamin D.  I just remember when I was younger, trying to eat healthy, I read up on the vitamins and D was one that didn't pass through the body in your urine and could build up and become toxic as your body regulates how much vitamin D is absorbed.  Too much makes for excessive levels of Calcuim in the blood which can make you sick.  So how does taking tons of it really help.  Before I'd take it, some doctor would have to explain that to me.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,053
Stephanie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 12:32 PM

Linny t:
I just remember when I was younger, trying to eat healthy, I read up on the vitamins and D was one that didn't pass through the body in your urine and could build up and become toxic as your body regulates how much vitamin D is absorbed.  Too much makes for excessive levels of Calcuim in the blood which can make you sick.  So how does taking tons of it really help.

I don't know if opinions have changed since you read up on them. The article I read from mayoclinic said to build up a toxicity you'd have to take 50.000 IU's a day for several months to do this. That would be close to two bottle's of 1000 iu a day for months. Mike usually takes one 1000iu a day for a couple weeks and starts to feeling better an then he slacks off. Typical of anyone, taking anything I suppose. Of course eating healthy, and for D3 getting 15 minutes of sunshine ever day is best.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:53 PM

Probably, Stephanie.  It's been many years.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,854
Points 61,105
Robin replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:57 AM

Today is:

Get a Different Name Day and National Tortellini Day!

Well,  I always wanted a different name but I have never really been sure what I would want to be other than Robin.

Today is another busy one in my neck of the woods.  Centers for first period,  Biscuit Demonstration for third with a practice shot on knife cuts.   15 kids all with Chef knives at one time, can certainly make a person a little nervousness.  Then we close out the day with a test and lecture.  Still it could be worst.   I've only got the one lab.  It's the set up I thread more than the lab.  Anyway that's just life.

Stephanie,   Thanks for the information about Vitamin D.   It probably would hurt for him to up his since the only time he spends in the sun is walking from a shelter to a vehicle.   He hates the sun.

Linny,  I make sure we look into the safe levels before he starts taking anything. 

I hope you all have a Well spent Wednesday.

Robin,  or maybe  Aurora, or Penny,  or Fairbanks, no not Fairbanks (these were the other choices my parents had for me)

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:57 AM

Good morning, Ladies.

Robin, is sounds like you will surely have a Well Spent Wednesday with all your activities.  What a cool job you have!

I'll have to think about getting another name while I try to find some Tortallini.  Every once in awhile it's good to redefine oneself.  

Typical day for me.  Not nearly as rewarding as your day, Robin.  Work which has been hectic and chaotic as we try to complete huge jobs with our own work forces and not hire the adequate help required to do it well.  This seems to be the way construction is going these days.    Contractors have been paying very slow, putting a stranglehold on the little guys beneath them.  In between not having enough time to do everything, I will continue to dream of the work I will do with needle and thread when I get home - which is really an attempt to redefine my life.

Hope everyone has a great day, no matter what name you find for yourselves.  I hope you all find yourselves Happy.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:21 AM

When I was young I always wanted to be Jennifer or Kelly. Then I would have been Jennifer Keller or Kelly Keller. But I have been really happy with my name since I was 25. To me, Lillie is light as a breeze and a sweet name.  lol  I think my mother was always going to name my Lillie. I'm named after my paternal grandmother. Her name was Lillian. My mother did not like it and shorted it to Lillie.

How do other feel about their names?

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,831
Points 106,190
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:47 AM

My name is really Linda.  It means "beautiful" in Spanish, I am told.  I'm not Spanish.  I'm not named after anyone special.  Mom said she liked the name and it was popular back then.  My brothers always gave me a hard time with it, emphasizing the "duh" sound at the end...meanies...

Mom called me Linda Ann.  My middle name is for my aunt Anna and also Saint Ann...we were Catholic so you had to have a saint's name for your given name.  

I've always been in work environments where there has been more than 1 Linda, so I've always trained people to call me Lin.  My friends call my Linny.

I don't mind my name much now.  When I was a kid I used to want to be a Michelle (Beetle's song) and for awhile a Theresa (after Mother Theresa) and also Marie (because of the Virgin Mary and all the saints)  I picked Marie for my Confirmed name - Patron Saint.  I have never thought about all of this before.  The Catholic faith really did influence me greatly.

What's in a name?

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,053
Stephanie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:57 PM

Linny t:
Work which has been hectic and chaotic as we try to complete huge jobs with our own work forces and not hire the adequate help required to do it well.  This seems to be the way construction is going these days.    Contractors have been paying very slow, putting a stranglehold on the little guys beneath them.  In between not having enough time to do everything

I don't think people realize how tough it is out here Linny. It's been all about survival. I'm sorry your company has had to resort to this. It would just be great if everyone would just pay when work was completed. It puts so much pressure on everyone.

Linny t:
I will continue to dream of the work I will do with needle and thread when I get home - which is really an attempt to redefine my life.

Good for you! We have to have an escape to sink ourselves into and pray that things come around soon. At least we are in a good location, and building is picking up. If we can just all hold out until things become lucrative again, we'll be ok.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,053
Stephanie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 2:38 PM

It was so interesting reading about names.

I've always been happy with mine, although I wondered the reasoning in  my naming my older brother Steven and I Stephanie. I looked it up and Stephanie means "crowned one". That's pretty cool, although in my case I think it could mean crowned as bonked over the head. LOL My middle name is Lynn, and I mostly only heard the two used together when someone was mad and trying to get my attention. Lynn means waterfall. I like that. I guess the best thing for me was I only went to one school that someone in my grade had the same first name. Mike pet named me Steevie years ago when I started painting. He thought since I worked with the guys it seemed appropriate. He's the only one that calls me that. Makes me smile when he does. Sometimes it's just the way someone says it that makes it ok.

Robin and Lillie, I love your names. What could be better than being named after lovely birds and beautiful flowers?

I looked up Robin: Robin was the name given to friendly spirits that inhabited woodlands.

Lillie: Likie the flower Lily is a symbol of purity innocence and beauty in England.

Linny, I love the nickname, and beautiful is what you are. Inside and out.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 23,825

Robin:

Today is:

Get a Different Name Day

Robin, how interesting.  Reading what some of you have posted about your name made me think to the origin of my name and would I want to change my name.

My parents were told when my brother was born that he was a miracle and they would never have any more children.  He was almost 8 years old when I was born and I was the apple of my father's eye. I was the only granddaughter on my mother's side of the family and was rather spoiled.  My mother had wanted to name be Rebecca but my father would have nothing of that.  I was my father's "darling daughter".

My middle name is Kae spelled this way because my father wanted all my names to end in E.  That worked until I married.  The different spelling has caused some challenges over the years.  My mom struggles with the spelling of my first name.  She frequently spells it Darleen or Darlean. And the fact that there is no Y in my middle name has been hard for her as well.   I joke with her when she does this because she was part of the naming process.

I have never thought about changing my name.  When I was growing up there were few Darlenes and it made life rather easy.  If someone called my name, I could be relatively sure they were speaking to me.

In high school there was a group of 4 of us who were almost inseperable.  We were together all the time.  Our names were Darlene, Diane, Debbie and Judy.  Not sure how Judy got in the group but she was the odd one out name wise.  We all answered to anything which started with a D because everyone mixed us up.  Funny that almost 40 years later, we are still close friends and see each other at least twice a year even though Judy lives in NC.

Stephanie,

I have a cousin who named his children Stephan and Stephanie.  Always thought that was odd but he is the type that noone questioned. 

Love your story about Mike calling you Steevie.  Fond pet names between husband and wife are the best.

It was great to read about everyone's thoughts regarding their names.  Thanks for the stories and stirring up some memories.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 23,825

Good afternoon all.

Been a very busy week and I am just taking a moment to touch base with all my quilty friends.

Tim had a doctor's appointment today with his oncologist.  She has only been Tim's doctor since October and it has been interesting developing a relationship with her.  Today she spent a good amount of time with us and we (or at least I) felt like we got answers from her that we have been struggling to get from anyone else.

Long and short of it is that the latest tumor which they tried to biopsy in November is continuing to grow.  She has declared the biopsy a failure because of the normal tissue results.  She feels the surgeon went to the proper place but that the needle "dropped" the sample on the extraction and collected other tissue on the way out.  Hard to hear.  She also feels that this tumor is of the same nature as the brain tumor of 2002.  That is good news because that would be a benign tumor.  She does not feel it is the originally diagnosed type of tumor because of the growth rate.

Treatment plan is to repeat the MRI in April [April Fool's Day] and see what it is doing.  If Tim has regained his strength and is up to it, he will begin a 6 week regimen of radiation at that time.  If the growth has not progressed to a faster rate, he may be able to wait until summer for the radiation.  When we got home he said he would prefer to start as soon as she feels he is ready so that he can recover and be ready to be in the classroom in September.

I fear that he will never return to work but I cannot dwell on this thought.  So for now, I am trusting in God and thanking my dear friends for keeping us in their thoughts and prayers.

It is Ash Wednesday and I am off to pick up Kyle so that we can attend the service at our church tonight together.  I always get such a reminder of what Jesus did for us on the cross on this day.  It is amazing what God has planned for us and I believe His plans are the best plans made by a Loving Father.

Have a good evening and be well.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,053
Stephanie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:56 PM

Darlene,

What a sweet story about your name and tribute to your father.

It's pretty incredible that you four ladies have remained friends for almost 40 years. And to make the time to see each other twice a year is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.....

Page 347 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev345346347348349Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use