rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:25 AM

Robin:
On a bright note.  Donn went to the post office yesterday afternoon and mailed your block.  It should be there is a day or two.  Enjoy!
 Yahoo!!!  Can't wait!  Thanks, Donn and thank you, Robin.

Robin:
The laundry drain is connected to the kitchen drain somehow and we done all of them.  We can't seem to move it. 
 One time I had a vent stack that a frog had fallen into and died.  He was so big he clogged the thing up and nothing would drain.  Maybe it's something like that.

Robin:
Don't you love the way kitties experiment with gravity.
 Yes, it's my favorite, lol.  

Robin:
Woke up at 2:00 so it's going to be a long day.   Fortunately it's a 1/2 day even though I'll have kids working until whenever it won't be like having classes until 3 and then kids working.  Maybe we can get a lot done.
 Hope your day goes fast and your energy holds.

It's so good to read your light-hearted posts, Robin.  Makes me smile every time.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:30 AM

Robin:
Hooray for Darlene Day!
 I'm all for this.  Maybe we should say Darlene Week!  

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:37 AM

Lillie:
I wanted to paint our kitchen cabinets too, but DH said he really liked the wood. YUCK! I can't stand the color of the stain the contractor used and I really don't like Oak. Since we could not come to any agreement, they are still original. We can not afford new cabinets either. So I asked DH to clean them. Still waiting...  lol
 I've painted mine.  I thought I could get it done in a week.  Ha, ha, ha.  Of course when I did it I didn't know Stephanie.  She'd have told me the right primer to use.  My brother owned the house before me and had wood grained them with this awful dark color.  Made me feel like I was in a cave.  I was so happy to get rid of it.  Now they are a butter color with powder blue on the insides.  They still look good considering I did that in 2005.  

I'm wanting to do a glass tile back splash and new counter top in my kitchen.  I never seem to have enough money or time to do it.  Stilestone is pretty.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:47 AM

Stephanie:

And speaking of wood, I have had the pleasure this past two weeks of taking an older painted built in entertainment center/bookcase and recreating it to look like wood. Although it is a lot of work, it's my favorite thing to do in faux finishes and I'd love to share a pic of it when it's finished. Hopefully the lighting will work with me to get a good one.

Have brought some new panels home to work on. I was just finished with all of the Box parts of the unit, when they have decided to take the old lighting out and install new. The panels will cover the old holes. The supervisor was nice enough to let me finsh them off so I didn't have to redo all that over the head stuff, which was very considerate concerning my back issues. He's a good guy, about Paul's age and he and wifey are ready to have their first baby any day. Oh, remember when....

Guess it's time to get to it and get something constructive done .... Have a Happy day....

Looking forward to the pic.  That's nice of that man to let you take the panels off to finish them.  It probably will help everyone involved end up with a great piece.  

Yes, I remember being a mom for the first time.  I loved being a young mommy.  In fact if we get to pick our lives in heaven that's the one I'll pick.

Hope your day is productive and happy.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,578
Points 139,823
Stephanie replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 11:49 AM

I thought you crafty girls might like to see the process I use to get into woodgrain and what I'm talking about visually. The first picture is two boards that I have basecoated with a mustard yellow. I had to match a sample of a real wood from a designer and looking into it, this yellow was what I saw as the starting point. Below the two basecoated boards is the first coat of stain going on. It's already starting to transform:

After the initial stain coat dries, I go back and add the grain. The following pic is a close up of a finished shelf

And finally the box part of the unit: Hard to get a decent pic with the lighting in there:

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 1:42 PM

Stephanie,

You did a wonderful job creating the wood grain. I absolutely love it!!! Please tell me the process and the paints/stains you used to create the finish. Oh now I'm EXCITED!!!

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,578
Points 139,823

Thank you Lillie. Of course this is not fine art by any means. I do have to do it in a timely manner to be able to make money. LOL

For this one I basecoated with the honey mustard color. I often use a pumpkin base coat for redder woods like mahogany. Anyway, lets stick with this

1. Prime your project if you need to then Basecoat two coats with a satin finish paint. 

2. I used Modern Masters brand gel stain in a color called Special Walnut. It has to be a "gel" stain and not a wiping stain. It's specially formulated for drying on these surfaces

3 Using a stain pad wipe a moderately thin area with stain. I usually do a 12inch by 30 inch at a time. Then take a flogger brush ,here's a link for a picture of that:  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=flogger+brush&id=84D3F7182B8BDA85A5CAF3E214952A33434E3FD6&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=84D3F7182B8BDA85A5CAF3E214952A33434E3FD6&selectedIndex=0

Take the flogger brush and hold it so the bristles are horizontal to the area you have stain and lightly slap it with the bristles until the stain blends and lies down. The purpose of the flogger is to diminish any brush strokes or pad lines and brings the background in nicely. Allow this to dry 24 hours.

4    For the grain lines I took a 2 1/2 inch chip brush (cheap throw away ) and double dipped it with one side in the special walnut and one side in Natural walnut. (same brand) Doesn't take a lot of product.

5 Use any piece of wood you like and your imagination to paint the lines, add knots or whatever. Sometimes I'll lightly dip into an odorless thinner to help move things the way I want. Then a second clean soft brush to soften and shade some areas if the lines are too heavy.

6. Apply two to three coats of polyurethane, sanding ever so lightly with a superfine grit being very careful at the edges. It wont take much to go through the stains. 

That's it! Important note:  I do want to caution you to make sure any rags you use to wipe anything, and your stain pad should be submersed in water to avoid combusting.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,578
Points 139,823

Everyone check out Show and Tell Gallery. There's CQ in it! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 4:48 PM

Stephanie, it looks like real wood grain.  You are an artist at this - not that I'm surprised one little bit.  Beautiful!

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:31 PM

Wow--that wood grain looks great Stephanie.  You are really good at what you do.  I can see why people want you to work for them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,578
Points 139,823

Thanks so much everyone. I thought it would be fun to put a picture to the descriptions I'm always telling you about.

I am so thrilled to have my block. I can't quit looking at it. I'm seriously thinking of finishing it off and putting it into a shadow box and hanging it in my living room so I can see it all the time.

I showed it to Mike and he said, "That's beautiful. I want to do one. He said he's gonna get his football buddies together and put some frillies on it and a football." Crazy nut! LOL He really did admire it though.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Robin:

I'm going to the Hallmark site for the day today because I have decided to declare today

Hooray for Darlene Day!

Thank you Robin [and all my other friends here] for declaring today for me.  I appreciate all your kind words.

It was amazing to see the progress I made yesterday.  I cleaned out the closet we keep our coats in and donated a large bag of coats to a local clothing box.  The group who picks up the clothes pays the youth group who maintains it by the pound each month.  This youth group uses the money to attend a National Youth Gathering every three years.  This pays for their registration, housing and transportation.  This year they are going to San Antonio.  It looks like there will be three (3) adults and six (6) teens attending.  Great cause and the stuff is out of my house.

After the closet I tackled a room which is the dumping ground for Tim.  There is wall to wall, floor to ceiling shelving along the one wall which is his library.  There is a dry bar in front of the "library" which is too high to be used as a bar for someone who is barely over 5 foot tall so this is where we keep the phone, the answering machine, the phone book and anything else which lands there.  Flat Surface Syndrome again.  I have cleared off the first aid kit, the extra batteries, the candles and the junk mail which landed there.  Once this was done I cleaned out the filing cabinet and shreaded what could be.  Washed the floor and sighed a deep sigh of contentment that I can walk in this room without feeling stressed.

Tim had a good day but is getting antsy.  I missed the nurse practioner this morning and the doctor came in after I left.  Disappointing but that is my luck.  The doctor would not give counts.  He said the one that is important is tomorrow morning's count. 

Kyle lost his job last night.  I am feeling very heavy for his future.  I have only communicated with him by text.  He and I were supposed to go to dinner so I left the hospital earlier than originally planned [thus missing the doctor].  I got to his apartment and it was all dark and he is not responding to calls or text.  My mama sense is just needing to hear his voice and see his face.  I know that this is a horrible time for him and I want to help but I don't know what to do.  I have sent the texts and left the messages and I have to just trust now but I feel something I can't put into words.

I haven't talked to either mother today because I don't want to let them know before he clears it to tell them.  I won't be able to talk to either of them without them knowing something is not great and so I am avoiding them.  Not very noble but that is what I must do for tonight.

Going to bed exhausted.

Hope that everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  I'll update as I have more to say.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,307
Points 113,505
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 8:01 PM

Wow, Darlene.  You did a lot.  That's a cool way for that youth group to go to the gathering in San Antonio.  Must make you feel good about your donation, too.  

That Tim is getting antsy is a good sign.  When a body starts feeling that way it means they don't need to be there.  Hopefully tomorrow you'll know. 

Poor Kyle.  It's so hard for a young person to be in that situation.  He probably feels like there are lot of people expecting him to be great right out of the gate.  He's still really young and there are other jobs, even better ones.  Character is built by experience and most of that is from the mistakes we make and learning how to cope with the bad things that come our way.  I know as a mom you just want to touch his world and let him know he's not all alone and you're still behind him.  God's got him.  You know that in your spirit.  It's hard to tell your heart, though, I know.  Just pray a hedge of protection around him and trust God that he'll be okay.  I would do the same thing about avoiding the moms, by the way.  You've got enough to handle without that and like you say, you're exhausted already.  Tomorrow is another day.  God bless you, dear.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,101
Points 66,950
Robin replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 5:43 AM

Today is Lame Duck Day.

Got to say I'm not trying to start anything with this comment I'm just reading the calendar to you.

Darlene, 

Girl (as my student would say),

You are just tumbling over one trouble after another.  Bless your heart.   I know you must feel like you take two steps forward and then make one step back.  Congratulations on getting so much done at your house, I know that must have felt good.   I hope that when you get to the hospital in the morning Tim is up, dress and cleared to ride.   I'm so sorry to hear about Kyle's situation.  I know that when your child is in trouble it is difficult to stand back and watch, and hold your tongue.   I've been down that road with Laurie lately.   She had finally made up her mind about her Master's plan and VSU dropped their program and not FSU's program did not pass accreditation.   So she has decided to settle on School Counseling instead of school phy.    I don't like her settling because I'm not sure she can survive the pressures of being a school guidance counselor.  Working in a high school setting I know the pressure they have not just with scheduling students but then add testing regulations, kids with problems, parent conferences, people believing you can magically fix everything with the flip of a switch and it can be emotionally training.  And Laurie is built alot like me, so I worry about her drowning in a sea of someone else's sorrows.   But anything I say she takes as me trashing her dreams.   So like you I've got to do a lot of praying that God will cover her and see her through to His plan, which is greater than anything I can imagine.   I'm not sure if I've shared this before.  But if I have forget me for repeating myself.   My Sunday School teacher an older and wiser woman,  taught us to pray Ps 91 over our children.  You simply read the Psalm inserting Kyle's name for the he's and my's.   Not only to I believe in the hedge of protection that it offers my children.   I find great comfort in praying it over them because it brings me peace.   I hope that helps you. 

Stephanie,

Your work is beautiful.  When I get through state I'll send you some pictures on my cabinets and tell you what I think I want.  I would love advice.   Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Lillie,

Good luck on your grouting today.  I hope it goes well.   I think finishing UFO's is a wonderful idea.  Have you join the UFO group on this site.  They are doing a challenge anyone can join.  I find it gives me incident to work on my projects and get them ton, so I can share.

Linny, 

I'm all in for a Hooray for Darlene Week too. 

I love the wisdom that you share with us each day also.  It makes me feel like "Gee, I hope I can be that wise some day".

Diane,

Glad to hear from you.  How's the weather up where you are? 

Jo,

I hope the fact you're not posting doesn't mean you are not feeling well these days.

Well, I'm taking the morning off to wait on the plumber.  He's suppose to be in at 8:15.  I hope it doesn't take him long.  My planning period is this morning and I'm hoping to make it back in time for it.    Of course a quite morning will be appreciated.  With state competition only weeks away my room knows no peace.  I've got kids all of the place working on putting final touches on projects.  Starting presentations,  starting display boards, bringing in paper work and donuts orders for the fundraiser.   Wow!   Tomorrow night will be even later than usual since it's the Teacher of the Year Banquet and we serve at it every year.   I'm hoping they will promote our book drive tomorrow night.  But I've got to call to the person in charge and see if she'll give it a plug.

Happy Wednesday Everyone,  made it be better than you can imagine.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 7:20 AM

Stephanie:

Everyone check out Show and Tell Gallery. There's CQ in it! 

We should put ours in there when they are completed.

northern colorado

Page 339 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev337338339340341Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use